The Challenge

It Began With a Gray Sky

Chapter Three: The Challenge

Kim Jong Kook was running late to the recording. He didn’t even have a good excuse for being tardy, since he’d had Sunday off. The moment he arrived at the Gwacheon National Science Museum, he’d been rushed to make-up and then fitted with his microphone.

While Jong Kook was being prepped, Myuk PD had given him a quick talk about his role in Running Man and about how the staff liked the direction Jong Kook had been going in last filming. They thought Jong Kook could fill the role of the adversary. Myuk PD had made a comparison to Kim Soo Ro who had been known as the Game Devil on Family Outing. Jong Kook pointed out that being the Game Devil required him to be good at games, and Jong Kook wasn’t certain if he was up to Soo Ro’s level. After expressing the deepest confidence in Jong Kook’s abilities, Myuk PD had sent him to the set.

Jong Kook was relieved to see that he wasn’t the last person to arrive. Everyone except Joong Ki was crowded around a ticket booth, arguing over money.

“Hyung,” said Kwang Soo as Jong Kook approached. “You have to buy a ticket.”

“Do you have money?” asked Haha. “Ji Hyo had to buy tickets for Jae Suk-hyung and Kwang Soo.”

Thankfully, Jong Kook had some change shoved in the pockets of his shorts, so he didn’t have to beg Ji Hyo for money. As he stepped forward to get his ticket, he heard Suk Jin say, “Joong Ki’s here.”

Everyone greeted Joong Ki, while Jong Kook received a child’s ticket from the person working the booth. Jong Kook examined the ticket as he stepped into line with the other cast members. He noted that Jae Suk had an adult ticket.

“Ji Hyo-noona,” said Joong Ki. “I thought you were Sandara Park when I saw you from a distance just now.”

Jong Kook glanced at the bun on top of Ji Hyo’s head. Now that he thought about it, her hairstyle did resemble that of girl group 2NE1’s singer Sandara Park. The other members, including Ji Hyo, laughed aloud at Joong Ki’s observation.

“Congratulations,” said Jae Suk, stepping forward to shake Joong Ki’s hand. “That was a good first comment. It was rather funny.”

Gary adjusted his tan vest and said, “We usually have to prepare such topics.”

“Not bad, Joong Ki,” said Jae Suk. “Not bad.”

Once Joong Ki had bought his ticket, the cast members organized themselves into a line facing the cameras. Actually, Jong Kook couldn’t quite call them all cast members. He knew that Ji Hyo was still in a trial period while the staff debated whether she would fit the show or not. Jong Kook himself wasn’t sure if Ji Hyo was suited for variety. She was too quiet. She never initiated a conversation with him and barely spoke when he talked to her.

“Sandara Park,” said Jae Suk, addressing Ji Hyo. “Since there won’t be any time when we start playing games, I should tell you now. Among the people here, there are a few that like you quite a lot.”

Jong Kook resisted the urge to groan and instead forced a smile. Jae Suk never lost his enthusiasm for creating love lines. Misfortune had fallen on Jong Kook during both X-Man and Family Outing. He was still reminded of the scandals Jae Suk had created wherever he went.

A part of Jong Kook should be thankful, since his love line with Yoon Eun Hye had helped both their popularity. However, having to tell people constantly that there was nothing romantic between them had put a strain on their friendship. They rarely talked to each other nowadays. Then, in Family Outing, Jae Suk had created for Jong Kook not one but two love lines—Lee Hyori and Park Ye Jin. Jong Kook had been nothing but awkward with Hyori (they still used polite speech with one another) and he had seen Ye Jin as nothing but a sister (she had also been in a relationship at the time). When Jong Kook had been offered a part in Running Man, he had made Myuk PD promise not to put him in another love line.

“Haha-hyung,” said Joong Ki suddenly. “What are you doing?”

Jong Kook glanced over to see Haha fidgeting nervously with the buttons of his shirt.

“Nothing, nothing,” said Haha quickly.

Gary laughed and placed an arm around Haha’s shoulders. “Why are you tense?”

“I’m surprised,” said Haha.

Jong Kook chuckled. During the week, he, Jae Suk, and Haha had all gone out to dinner, and of course, the conversation of Song Ji Hyo had come up. Jae Suk had nothing but praise of her, though he did agree that she didn’t talk enough on the show. Haha had called Ji Hyo “cute”, and Jong Kook had said nothing.

A love line between Haha and Ji Hyo would be cute, thought Jong Kook.

“Hyung,” said Haha abruptly, tapping Jong Kook on the arm. “Didn’t we talk about this just now?”

Jong Kook glared at his dongsaeng. He refused to be a part of this. He was thirty-four-years-old. It was time to put love lines behind him and start looking for a serious relationship.

“Jong Kook is lonely,” said Suk Jin.

Haha nodded. “Hyung always finds matches on variety shows.”

Unfortunately, added Jong Kook silently as he laughed along with Suk Jin and Haha’s comments.

“I can’t be like that,” said Jong Kook. He hoped Haha and Jae Suk got the message.

“He only dates while filming,” said Jae Suk, the message apparently going over his head. “But it ends when filming finishes.”

Jong Kook couldn’t argue with that.

“Here, Jong Kook,” said Suk Jin. “Look here for a while.”

Before he could think about what he was doing, Jong Kook followed Suk Jin’s line of sight. His eyes met with Ji Hyo’s and there was a pause. Her eyes widened, and then she broke eye contact and laughed. Jong Kook laughed too. He felt a wave of gratitude towards Ji Hyo. Apparently, they both thought a love line between the two of them was ridiculous. After all, she couldn’t even bring herself to talk to him.

Suddenly, Jae Suk gasped.

“That shocked me,” said Ji Hyo, hiding her laughter behind her hand.

The cast looked to their right where a young man with light brown hair and a handsome smile was jogging towards the ticket booth. It took Jong Kook a moment to recognize the idol as k-pop group 2PM’s Nichkhun.

“It’s over, it’s over,” said Jae Suk.

Jong Kook laughed. “Take everything back, take it back.” He patted Haha on the shoulder. “Keep our hearts. It’s not happening today.”

Nichkhun smiled and waved as he joined the cast in front of the ticket booth. “Hi everyone.” He spoke with a slight accent, showing his Thai origins.

Jae Suk gave Nichkhun a welcoming hug before saying, “It’s not possible anymore.” He gave Jong Kook, Gary, and Haha each a comforting pat on the shoulder. “Next time.”

Hopefully, thought Jong Kook, there wouldn’t be a next time for him. He would have to remind Jae Suk that fake romance was out of the question for him on Running Man.

“You’ve ruined our love lines,” said Suk Jin as he shook Nichkhun’s hand. He then pushed Nichkhun to stand next to Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo laughed nervously and ran a hand through her long, black hair.

“I’m going to be a comedian today,” said Jong Kook. He feigned disappointment in his voice, but internally he was celebrating.

“You’re inhumane, really,” Haha told Nichkhun.

The group continued talking—Haha teased Gary for looking so gloomy, they asked Nichkhun how the rest of 2PM were doing, and they talked about the first episode of Running Man, which had aired Sunday. Jae Suk had been embarrassed by how bad he was at chicken fighting, while Suk Jin had gotten in trouble with his wife for his jokes. Overall, the cast was satisfied with the first episode.

“Someone else is here,” said one of the FDs.

Once again, the cast turned to their right to see who was approaching. A girl in a white dress and long, wavy hair. Jessica Jung of SNSD was their other guest for the day.

“Jessica!” cried Jae Suk.

“‘Sica!” added Haha in his raspy voice.

“You look so calm today, ‘Sica,” said Jae Suk, stepping forward to greet her.

Jessica glanced down at her beige high-heeled shoes and said, “My shoes are not suitable.”

Ji Hyo smiled. “I did the same thing my first time.”

“This is Running Man,” said Jae Suk, looking down at the shoes. “Don’t worry. We’ll find you a good pair.”

“Come stand over here,” said Suk Jin, ushering Jessica closer. “Come stand beside Ji Hyo.”

The cast greeting Jessica enthusiastically, asking after SNSD’s activities. Jae Suk had a quick talk with one of the PDs before stepping back to join the group. He faced the cameras and said, “Today, the tickets are separated into adults and children.”

Jong Kook looked down at his ticket, which was marked with the word “child”.

“Children stand over here,” said Jae Suk, gesturing to Jong Kook’s left. “And adults stand over here.” He gestured to the right.

Jong Kook found himself joined by Haha, Gary, Joong Ki, and Jessica on the child’s side. He was relieved that Haha was on his team; he would have someone he knew with him. Jong Kook had met Gary a couple times before Running Man, since Haha was a mutual friend of theirs, but Gary was technically still a stranger. Jong Kook didn’t know Joong Ki well either, though he had nothing bad to say about the actor. And, being both in the music business, Jong Kook had encountered SNSD a few times, but he’d never had more than a short, polite conversation with Jessica before.

On the adult side, Jae Suk stood next to Ji Hyo, Suk Jin, Nichkhun, and Kwang Soo. Jong Kook frowned, trying to figure out how the teams were chosen. “Adult” didn’t refer to age, since Jong Kook was the third eldest in the cast but had been place in the “Child” category.

“How are the teams divided?” asked Jong Kook.

“Height,” said Jae Suk with a devilish grin.

Jong Kook scowled. Now that he looked, it became obvious that the Child Team was on the short side. Though, Jong Kook wanted to protest that he and Jae Suk were the exact same height. In fact, Jong Kook was fairly certain that Joong Ki was taller than Jae Suk. If the teams were truly divided by height, then Joong Ki and Jae Suk should switch places.

“You’re not wearing insoles?” asked Jae Suk, examining Joong Ki’s shoes.

“No” Joong Ki shook his head. “It’s too troublesome.”

“Why are you so tall?” complained Jae Suk.

Jong Kook smiled. It appeared the PDs wanted to make sure that he and Jae Suk were on opposite teams. It made sense, now that he recalled Myuk PD’s words that morning. Jong Kook was supposed to play the role of the adversary to Nation’s MC. They couldn’t be rivals if they were on the same team.

“Fighting!” said Jessica.

“Fighting,” chorused back the cast.

Jong Kook took a deep breath and prepared himself for a long film shoot.

 


 

When she had first heard that they were going outside for some of the games, Ji Hyo had been nervous. She’d hadn’t brought any swimwear. Her manager had told her to be prepared for anything on Running Man, but when Ji Hyo had heard the location was Gwacheon National Science Museum, she’d figured a swimsuit was unnecessary. Thankfully, Running Man’s coordinators had provided team uniforms for the cast and guests to wear in the pool.

As Ji Hyo made her way from the changing rooms to the pool, she was intercepted by Jae Suk. There were no cameras around, since the VJs thought it was inappropriate to wait outside the women’s restroom.

“How are you feeling?” asked Jae Suk.

“Fine,” said Ji Hyo. “A little tired, but I’ll hibernate tomorrow.”

Jae Suk hesitated. “You’ve been rather quiet.”

Ji Hyo nodded. She’d been told by some of the cast and staff that she was really feminine; from Myuk PD’s description, they had expected someone more tomboyish. Ji Hyo had almost laughed aloud at that the staff’s impression of her. She was shy with new people, but once she became comfortable, Ji Hyo knew she would show her fiery temper and bad habit of cursing.

“Myuk PD told the cast that you were on a trial period,” said Jae Suk.

A shiver ran down Ji Hyo’s spine. Were the cast members all silently judging her, weighing whether she was worthy of their show or not?

“I like you,” said Jae Suk. “You’ve been fun and engaging in all the other variety shows you’ve been on with me. I know you’re shy, but you can’t afford to be quiet on a variety show.”

Ji Hyo nodded. She knew this. She’d worked as a host on Inkigayo and received similar advice from Myuk PD back then.

“Part of passing this trial period is to show that you have chemistry with the other members,” continued Jae Suk.

“I have,” said Ji Hyo. “I’ve talked to Suk Jin-sunbae and you and Joong Ki and Kwang Soo

“You don’t talk to Jong Kook.”

There was a sinking feeling in Ji Hyo’s stomach. Of course, she didn’t talk to Jong Kook. There was nothing more uncomfortable than talking to one’s old crush, and it didn’t help that whenever he did something impressive, her inner Turbo fangirl appeared. Jae Suk knew this. When Ji Hyo had appeared on Family Outing last year, Jae Suk had managed to pry a confession out of her. Thankfully off-camera at the time, she’d admitted to Jae Suk that she’d been a hardcore Kim Jong Kook fan and she still had a Turbo poster on her bedroom wall. During the show, Jae Suk had gotten her to shout across a valley, “I lo…you,” to Jong Kook. Jae Suk was the devil when he wanted to be.

“I won’t put you in a love line with him,” said Jae Suk. “Jong Kook made it very clear to me after today’s introduction that he’s done with love lines on variety shows.”

“He doesn’t want a love line?” asked Ji Hyo. Was it because he didn’t like her?

“He thinks he’s grown past love lines now,” said Jae Suk. “That and he’s never gotten over Yoon Eun Hye.” Jae Suk laughed, and Ji Hyo couldn’t tell if he was joking or not. But then, he sobered up and said, “I’m telling you this for your own good, Ji Hyo. You need to interact with all the cast members. Even Jong Kook asked me if you had something against him—I didn’t tell him the truth, don’t worry.”

Jae Suk added the last part upon seeing Ji Hyo’s horrified expression. She would die of embarrassment if Jong Kook ever found out that she used to fantasize about being his wife.

Ji Hyo swallowed. “I’ll make an effort to talk to him more.”

“Good,” said Jae Suk. “I want you on this show. You just need to show the staff that you belong here.”

Jae Suk left Ji Hyo standing on the sidewalk outside the changing rooms and made his way down to the pool. Ji Hyo stayed there for a couple minutes longer, silently wondering how she was going to talk to Jong Kook without breaking out into embarrassed laughter or stuttering her way through a sentence or letting slip some of her fangirl habits. Ji Hyo buried her face in her hands and took a deep breath. This wasn’t going to be easy.

 


 

 

The water games had ended with much laughter. The Adult Team had won the water rocket competition, which required teams to launch its members over poles of varying heights. The second game had been another photograph battle. The Child Team had won with Gary’s talent for looking serene in every picture.

After everyone had dried off and changed clothes, they gathered in a lounge area to take a break. Ji Hyo still hadn’t gotten used to eating and drinking with several cameras . When working on films, the cameras were only around when it was her turn to act. On variety shows, however, the cameras were almost always focused on the cast, and Ji Hyo felt pressured to be funny all the time.

She sat next to Suk Jin, who was much more comfortable around cameras after working as an MC for years. Ji Hyo liked Suk Jin. During the water rocket game, Ji Hyo had messed up the lowest jump, while Jessica had easily succeeded for the Child’s Team. Suk Jin had berated Ji Hyo for her failure, and Jae Suk had joked that she was no longer everyone’s princess. For a moment, Ji Hyo had let the teasing get to her, but in a low voice, Suk Jin had told her that the teasing was just for the camera and that everyone messes up once in a while. Ji Hyo had realized that Suk Jin was truly a nice person, and she talked with him happily. He told her about his wife and son and about how he’d known Jae Suk for twenty years. And she told him about her friendship with Joong Ki and about her experience at Inkigayo.

After half an hour, Ji Hyo realized that she’d hadn’t made any effort to talk to Jong Kook. He was even sitting on the opposite side of the table to her, and they hadn’t spoken one word to each other. Ji Hyo had spent most of the time talking to Suk Jin, and Jong Kook had spent most of the time talking to Kwang Soo. Jae Suk, who sat at the head of the table, had bounced between the two conversations, occasionally trying to join them together but failing miserably each time.

“Hyung, can you do it?” asked Haha suddenly from the other end of the table.

Jae Suk broke off his conversation with Jong Kook. “Do what?”

“Tell the difference between cola and soda,” said Haha. “Drink them blindfolded, and apparently you can’t tell the difference. I watched it on another program.”

“Are you serious?” asked Suk Jin. “There’s a clear difference.”

“I’m serious, I’m serious,” said Haha, nodding his head.

“Give it here,” said Jae Suk. “I want to try.”

Jong Kook found a yellow towel for Jae Suk to use as a blindfold, while Haha and Ji Hyo prepared the five glasses of cola and soda.

“What will I get if I guess it correctly?” asked Jae Suk, holding the makeshift blindfold in front of him.

“Bragging rights,” said Jong Kook.

“Are you for real?” asked Haha. “You think you’re going to get them?”

Ji Hyo was curious as well. Haha seemed pretty confident that there was no taste difference between the two, but Jae Suk was also confident that there was. Jong Kook was leaning forward in his seat, watching the experiment with interest. Ji Hyo wondered if this was a good opportunity to talk to him, maybe ask him what he thought of the experiment, show him that she didn’t dislike him at all.

“Hold on,” said Jae Suk before Ji Hyo could get the words out. “I need to rinse my mouth.”

Gary snorted. “As if it’s gourmet.”

Haha, Suk Jin, and Ji Hyo took care to line up the plastic cups filled with soda and cola. The other cast members and guests watched curiously as the blindfolded Jae Suk held out his hand for the first drink. Suk Jin handed him a cup of cola.

“My guess is…” Jae Suk took a sip, and then paused. He sipped again. And again.

Haha started clapping, and a wide smile spread across Jong Kook’s face. Ji Hyo glanced down the table and saw that the others were holding back laughter.

“He really can’t differentiate,” said Suk Jin.

“I know the taste of cola,” said Jae Suk. “I’ve been drinking cola since I was young.” He took another sip and said, “Okay. Cola.”

“Oh?” Haha sounded impressed.

Suk Jin took away the cola and handed Jae Suk a cup of soda next. Joong Ki got up from his seat and moved to stand beside Ji Hyo. Jong Kook glanced up at Joong Ki with raised eyebrows, and Ji Hyo tried to think of something to say.

“This is soda,” said Jae Suk abruptly.

“All correct,” said Jessica.

“Get me some water,” said Jae Suk. “I need water because I am a colamelier.”

As Kwang Soo handed Jae Suk a bottle of water, Jong Kook asked sarcastically, “What’s a colamelier?”

“You know,” said Jae Suk. “For wine tasting, it’s sommelier, and for cola tasting, it’s colamelier.”

After Jae Suk drank his water, Suk Jin handed him another glass of cola. Once again, Jae Suk guessed correctly. Ji Hyo was beginning to think he’d do it. He’d prove Haha and the TV program wrong; there really was a difference between cola and soda. Sure enough, Jae Suk got the fourth cup correct as well.

“This is the last one,” said Suk Jin, handing Jae Suk a cup of soda. “If you get this right, I’ll believe you can tell the difference.”

Everyone sat on the edges of their seats as Jae Suk lifted the last cup to his mouth. He took a sip and then set the soda back on the table.

“Cola.”

Haha cackled, and Ji Hyo couldn’t help but burst into laughter. She grabbed hold of the table to support herself.

“The colamelier fails,” said Jong Kook.

Not long after the snacks arrived. One of the FDs dropped several convenience store bags on the table, and like a pack of ravenous wolves, the cast started snatching up food. Haha actually got up from his seat and moved to stand beside Ji Hyo so that he would be closer to the food.

“Could you leave Ji Hyo’s side?” asked Jae Suk.

“Whoa, hyung!” cried Haha, taking a step back. “Make a couple with Jong Kook-hyung. Not me.”

Jong Kook glared at Haha. Ji Hyo remembered what Jae Suk had said to her outside the changing rooms—Jong Kook was done with love lines. Ji Hyo resisted the urge to sigh. She wished she could refuse to be in a love line too. But, unfortunately, she was the only girl in the cast at present, so if she refused, there would be no love line. Not to mention, unlike Jong Kook, who was once described as a “blue chip” in variety, Ji Hyo was still under consideration and didn’t have the leisure to say no.

“This is just for fun, noona,” said Kwang Soo abruptly. “But who is your ideal type among us?”

It took all of Ji Hyo’s willpower not to glance in Jong Kook’s direction. She felt the frantic laughter creep up on her, and she had to bury her face in the crook of her arm to hide her red cheeks. Inside her head, she was screaming at herself, “Don’t tell them. Don’t say anything. Lie if you have to. Just don’t tell them you own all of Turbo’s albums.”

“Don’t take this matter lightly,” said Gary. “It’s no joking matter to Haha.”

Suk Jin patted Ji Hyo on the arm before saying, “If you choose me, you’ll have to accept my son as well.”

Ji Hyo almost spit out her food, Suk Jin’s comment made her laugh so hard.

“Imagine watching this with you wife over the weekend, hyung,” Jae Suk scoffed.

Suk Jin grinned, but only helped himself to snacks in response. Ji Hyo hoped Suk Jin’s wife didn’t start to dislike her for that comment. Ji Hyo had never been comfortable with the idea of strangers hating her, though she knew having anti-fans was an inevitable part of success in show business.

“What was your wife like before marriage, hyung?” asked Jong Kook.

After some thought, Suk Jin said, “A deer.”

Ji Hyo breathed a sigh of relief. It appeared Suk Jin’s comment had changed the direction of the conversation, and Ji Hyo wouldn’t have to answer Kwang Soo’s question. Suk Jin didn’t know it, but he’d saved her from having to come up with a good lie.

“What about now?” asked Joong Ki. “After marriage?”

Suk Jin was much quicker to answer this time. “Imagine a deer munching on a rabbit.”

“A carnivorous deer?” asked Jong Kook.

“One thing I didn’t understand even before marriage,” said Suk Jin. “Why does she ask if she looks different even if it’s just a slight trim of her hair?”

From beside Ji Hyo, Haha laughed loudly. He shot a sharp look in Jong Kook’s direction, which made Jong Kook smile. Ji Hyo glanced between the two of them, wondering what they knew that she didn’t. Jong Kook caught her staring and smiled at her, his eyes turning into little crescents. Ji Hyo quickly broke eye contact before she remembered that she was supposed to make friends of her fellow cast mates. She looked back at Jong Kook, hoping to rectify the situation, but Jong Kook had turned away already.

“After t a millimeter of fringe,” continued Suk Jin. “She asked me if she looked different. If I gave the wrong answer, then I’d be dog food.”

“It’s like a game show,” said Jong Kook.

Suk Jin nodded. “I have to guess riddles every day when I come home after marriage. ‘Do you know why I’m angry?’ I should buy a buzzer before going home. Hit the buzzer once before answering.”

The men at the table laughed, while Jessica had a sort of blank expression on her face. Growing up, Ji Hyo had heard her mother ask her father “Do you know why I’m angry?” many times, so she understood Suk Jin’s story.

“What is the situation like when apologizing?” asked Jae Suk.

“Let me tell you!” cried Suk Jin. “All of you listen well. I was tired after filming Running Man so I raised my feet to let her sweep, and she said, ‘Oppa, let’s talk.’ I had a bad feeling. ‘Why are you angry?’ I asked. ‘You don’t know the reason?’ The answering segment of the quiz show starts now. ‘Don’t you know why I’m angry?’ was the question. I must get it right in one try or it’s all over. So I asked, ‘Is it because I’m not helping you clean?’ And she cries, ‘That’s not the reason!’”

Suk Jin shook his head while the other cast members laughed. The men looked just as confused as Suk Jin.

“It’s the thought that counts,” said Ji Hyo.

“You need to phrase it sincerely,” added Jessica. “‘Are you tired? Let me help you.’”

“Ah.” Jae Suk stood up and clapped his hands as if Jessica had just told him all of life’s secrets. “It’s all about the phrasing.”

Jong Kook grinned at his hyung and shook his head ever so slightly in amusement. It was only by Jong Kook’s expression that Ji Hyo realized that Jae Suk might be overreacting to make the guest look better. Even as they were taking a break and eating snacks, Jae Suk was still hosting the show. Ji Hyo couldn’t help but marvel at Jae Suk’s dedication to his job. Yes, there were still a few cameras on them, but once the snacks had arrived, Ji Hyo had completely forgotten about the cameras and the show. All she could think about was food.

Ji Hyo could only hope that she’d possess one-tenth of Jae Suk’s variety skills one day. She doubted she could ever have his humor, talent, or sociability, but she hoped she could at least be a successful member of Running Man. She glanced over at Jong Kook. Well, carrying out a conversation with him would be a good place to start.