not so awkward anymore

This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like a Motherf****er
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun went out of his bedroom, wiping his eyes as he yawn, half awake. That time, he didn’t know it was three in the morning. He just woke up from his well-deserved, post-travelling 8-hour sleep, and he’s still following Seoul’s timezone, which is 13 hours ahead of Miami.
He walks through the hallway and see an indistinct figure. But he was sure that’s not Jiyong, because he just saw his pal who is currently still asleep in their room.
It’s either Taeyeon, or Stephanie.
And he is definitely not ready for another awkward moment with the latter.
But damn he’s famished and is ready to eat a horse.
And damn, his stomach decided to give another signal for him to eat, right at the moment he realized it was Stephanie who’s sitting on the couch, watching the television.
. Choi Seunghyun, you’re an idiot. He angrily thought to himself, wanting to punch his own face.
“Seunghyun?” Stephanie calls quietly, noticing the tall rapper standing on the hallway.
. Too late.

“H-hey,” Seunghyun stutters.
Stephanie grins, “Can’t sleep?” she asks. The guy who is unconsciously sweating nods. “I slept right after we reached here,” he chuckles nervously. “I just woke up.”
“Oh, you must be hungry.”
Hell yeah I am.
“But… I don’t think we have any food here.”
Aw . Hell no.
Seunghyun’s stomach growls once more, and this time, Stephanie heard it.
They both stare into one another for a few seconds, and pindrop silence fell across the room.
Then they burst into laughter.
“, was it that loud?” Seunghyun laughs, and Stephanie was covering the bottom half of her face, nodding, showing Seunghyun her signature eyesmile. “You wanna go out to get some food?” she offers inbetween laughter.
“It’s three in the morning, is anything even open?” the guy chuckles, still feeling stiff. “McDonalds? It’s nearby the hotel, I’ll come along if you want.” the girl suggests.
Another growl came from Seunghyun’s hungry tummy, signaling him to feed it a.s.a.p.
Seunghyun hesitated, but in the end, he let out a nervous sigh. “Let’s pig out.”

...

Stephanie stares in disbelief at Seunghyun’s order. 6 pieces of McNuggets, double cheeseburger, large french fries, large coke, and to top it all off, a McFlurry. Damn, he’s taking ‘pigging out’ to a whole new level.
“What’s wrong?” Seunghyun asks, noticing that Stephanie’s looking awkward.
Startled, Stephanie stopped eating (and playing) with her McFlurry. “Hm?”
Seunghyun takes a bite of his chicken nugget. “You seem… I don’t know, uncomfortable.” he shrugs.
Damn it Stephanie Hwang.
“Oh, I’m not! Just, I didn’t expect you to order this much food when you said you were going to pig out.” she answers truthfully.
The rapper stopped his munching slowly and gulped, swallowing everything. “I eat a lot nowadays. I’m not that big of a calorie-counter anymore, my fans have been saying that I need to eat more, so that’s what I’m doing.” he replies casually, slightly chuckling to make things less awkward.
Nichkhun isn’t that big of a calorie-counter either. Stephanie thought.
She could only nod. Her eyes were at her ice cream but Seunghyun noticed she was just staring blankly, her mind drifting somewhere else.
He takes another chicken nugget. “Well… anyways…” his eyes wander around, trying to find a topic to talk about with the girl sitting right in front of him who looks bored and exhausted to death.
It is, almost half past three in the morning, anyways.
Crap, Seunghyun now feels bad that he actually agreed on her offer to accompany him to go here.
“Hey, are you okay?” he asks after gaining the courage to open up his mouth again.
Stephanie, who was lost in her own mind snapped out of it and grin. “Yeah.”
False. Something’s wrong. He thought, and continued finishing his finger food.
“Um, well… You might think that I’m talking too much or whatever, but I’m just trying to make things less awkward for us,” he explains, chuckling. “So if anything happens to be wrong, don’t ever hesitate in talking it out,” he adds.
Stephanie just smiled weakly. “Thanks, Seunghyun, that’s really nice of you. I’m just,” she stopped. If I say that I’m tired, he’d think that it’s because I’m here right now with him, would he?
“Just…?”
She finally decided to just shrug and laugh it off. “I don’t know the exact term for it, but… I’ve just been feeling lonely lately. It’s weird,” she said.
She didn’t say, yeah well my boyfriend just dumped me and told me I don’t deserve him and deserve more, but I still find myself crying over him everyday. What do you call that?

The guy in front of her sips his cola and nods. “Well, you have Taeyeon, and if you do feel like something’s wrong, you can always talk to her. Or Jiyong,” he smiles. “Or like, you can always talk to me. But I’ll probably just go into some deep and give you long advices that don’t relate to your problem at all,” he tries to joke around, melting down the tension.

And fortunately, Stephanie laughed. Whereas Seunghyun just looked blankly into the space, looking like he just realized that it is what he does—giving bull advices.

“At some point, maybe I will need those long pretentious advices, so, thanks,” she goes along with the joke.

They continued talking as Seunghyun finishes his burger after his nuggets, exchanging facts about one another, throwing jokes and even insults—and for the two parties, it definitely felt like they’ve been friends for a long time despite the presence of awkwardness that is still there.

And without Stephanie’s realization, that was the first time she could ever pass a night without mourning over her old lover again. All thanks to the friend who gives bull advices in the attempt to sound witty. 

Around fifteen minutes later, they both safely arrived back to their suite right after they finish their late-night feast in McDonalds. In less than 45 minutes, the two managed to get to know a lot of things about one another. 

The rapper got to know that Stephanie has an undying obsession for pink things, has a soft-spot for romcom movies, hates bugs with a burning flame, laughs at basically everything, and is still in progress of learning Korean because she’s not originated from there. He learned that Stephanie used to live in San Fransisco with her family before she auditioned for SM ten years ago and moved to Seoul. She also told him that her members tend to take an advantage of this, and work together to lie to Tiffany about the meanings of Korean words to her. 

On the other hand, the pink monster got to know that Seunghyun appreciates art a lot and takes it to a whole another level, and the same thing goes to chairs and furnitures.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter