Chapter: 6

Swordsman: Sovereign

Swordsman: Sovereign

 

This FanFiction is loosely based on Jin Yong's Smiling Proud Wanderer and the new 2012/2013 series.

 

" Speech "

 

' Thoughts '

 

Salute = The Bao Quan Li - the wrap fist greeting/Fist Wrapping Rite

 

Chapter: 6

 

-xXx-

 

Though it had taken great effort, Linghu Chong had gotten his beloved to swear to him that she wouldn't kill anyone until her father and step-mother explained themselves. His wife was now calmer then she was before. But, he was no fool and knew the situation was still very tense and the slightest thing could send her into a murderous rampage.

 

The sound of flesh hitting flesh was heard. But what surprised everyone was who did the assaulting.

 

“Dog!! Do you know what your daughters went through because of your selfishness?!!” Linghu Chong yelled angrily.

 

Dongfang Bo prostrated himself and begged for forgiveness. Though the slap was hard and left him feeling a bit woozy. The hit wasn't enough to cause any sort of lasting injury other then a bruise on the older man's left cheek.

 

“Chief please, have mercy on my parents!” Xiong pleaded, as he begged on his knees to his fathers right.

 

Linghu Chong wasn't one to disrespect an elder in this way. But for the sake of saving the person's life, he thought it would be better if he administered some sort of punishment in the hope it would further calm his wife.

 

The action stunned all in the room, which was part of what he was looking to accomplish. But he was no fool and knew her shock would only last as long as she remained somewhat calm, which by her still murderous gaze, was just holding on by a thread.

 

'So he's little Xiong. He certainly has grown over the years. None of this is his fault. I’m afraid he will be too scared of me to develop any type of sibling bond...' Dongfang Bubai thought with anger mixed with sadness.

 

“God has had mercy on an old fool like me. He allowed me to meet my daughter before I die,” Dongfang Bo said as tears streamed down his face

 

Dongfang Bubai continued to gaze upon her father with hatred. Though she had calmed down enough where she wouldn't just run over and kill him, she still wanted to.

 

'This is all his fault! I lost my past life because of him! I was almost and killed because of him! My sister is a nun and my brother may never love me all because of him! I...I grew up not knowing what love was because of him! All of this is his fault!!'

 

Dongfang Bubai eyes became ablaze with power as they glowed with a light purplish light; giving her an appearance of an other worldly entity.

 

“I deserve to die for what I did. I talked your father into abandoning you and little Chújú. Forgive your father, this is not his fault. Please forgive me Qiang'er!” Méh-fùnh stated, as she continued to kneel down to the left of her husband.

 

Dongfang Bubai began to have flashbacks of the day her and Yi Lin were abandoned by her father and stepmother. Her anger began to flare, as took a step forward, but she immediately thought of her husband and her promise and did her best to not act impulsively.

 

“We went back for you both, but when I got there neither of you were in sight. So we just...”

 

“You lying dog when did you go back?! A month later?!” Dongfang Bubai screamed at her father in rage.

 

Linghu Chong immediately went over to his wife and grasped both of her hands in his own in an attempt to sooth the anger away.

 

“Miss Dongf...My love...Qiang...please calm down...” he whispered softly.

 

Dongfang Bubai gazed at Linghu Chong intently. Her heart melted as he spoke. Truly the once mighty and ruthless leader was putty in his hands. For his sake she decided to put off the murder of her father and step-mother. Her fears that he would leave her if he saw how truly terrifying and ruthless she can get when angry still worried her despite their marriage.

 

Linghu Chong though had no such thought. All he wanted to do at the present was to calm the situation and sort things out as best as he could without loss of life.

 

“Since this is a personal matter involving the Dongfang family, it wouldn't be fair if Yi Lin and Xiong didn't have a say in what happens to their parents. Don't you agree?...”

 

Dongfang Bubai knew he was simply stalling for time, but the tactic worked.

 

'Whether stalling or not he is right. What would Yi Lin think if I killed our father?...I would completely lose her to if she doesn't agree that they deserve to die...' she thought with worry.

 

“Fine...Fine...” she said with an exasperated sigh.

 

“So the world won't say that I'm a bigger monster then they already think I am. One who would unfairly kill her own parent. Then I will leave your fate up to Yi Lin. If she forgives you then you may live. If not, then no one will find either one of your bodies.”

 

The words were cold, and sent a chill through everyone who heard them.

 

“Yi Lin? You mean little Chújú?! Little Chuju is still alive? Where is she now? Why did her name change?” Old Bo asked with excitement.

 

Dongfang Bubai's anger once again exploded. But she kept her feelings bottled up, except for her eyes which betrayed her rage.

 

“You just ask about her now?!” she said as another wave of killing intent assaulted everyone.

 

Dongfang Bo gazed upon his daughter in terror. This was not the kind, yet willful young girl who he had raised. Instead from what little he knew of the pugilistic world. His daughter was now a martial artist, and he guessed a quite powerful one considering how Feng Buping had been ousted as leader of the Sword Sect and now stood quietly to the side a few feet away with the rest of the Sword Sect disciples, watching his families skeleton’s show themselves, along with an white haired older man he didn't recognize.

 

'And this young man who Xiong'er called chief. What is his relationship to Qiang'er. They seem quite close...' he thought suspiciously.

 

Dongfang Bo looked Linghu Chong up and down appraising him with a scrutinizing eye.

 

'Handsome, well built, must be outstanding in martial arts, given how my own son referred to him as chief. Seems kind by how to was trying to stop my death.'

 

The old merchant knew such traits would make such a man very desirable. And reasoned his daughter and Linghu Chong were either lovers, or were married. The possibility that his little Qiang'er was now a married woman brought about more pain. Thinking that he wasn’t even there to witness what was suppose to be the most important and happy day in a young woman’s life.

 

“As I said before so the world won't say that Dongfang Bubai is a monster who unfairly killed her own parent, then I will leave your fate up to Yi Lin. Now until then get out of my site!”

 

Dongfang Bo, Méh-fùnh and Xiong immediately rose to their feet and was about to exit the hall until Dongfang Bo turned back to face his daughter.

 

“Wait, y...you called yourself Dongfang Bubai? As in the devil cults leader and the pugilistic worlds most powerful person, Dongfang Bubai?” he asked with trepidation.

 

“Ex chief, your daughter no longer has any ties to them,” Linghu Chong said turning his full attention back to the older man.

 

The news that their new chief was in fact the infamous number one of the martial arts world and her near murderous attempt did one bit of good. Feng Buping and the rest of the Sword Sect completely fell in line after they saw what she was like when angry. In other words words they were scared straight.

 

“I... I always felt you were still alive. When I heard someone using the name Dongfang Bubai I hoped and prayed it was you. Do you remember how you use to call yourself that when you were little? You always claimed you would be unbeatable in the world at whatever you did” Dongfang Bo thought warmly, as the memories nearly broke his heart.

 

“People kept saying that Dongfang Bubai was a man. But I remembered how you use to dress as a man to fool people for fun...or to just sneak out of the house to see what life was like outside of our village.”

 

This new piece of information about his wife surprised Linghu Chong a little. Letting him know his wife was a more complex person then he had imagined.

 

“But I also heard that in a brothel house about a few hours walk away, among their beauties, there was also a Dongfang Bubai. I began to worry that it was you. I...I thought my cowardice had driven you to a life of ion. I went to check a few times, but every time I went the person was either not there or wasn't seeing anymore customer's for the rest of the day. I'm so glad that it wasn't you Qiang'er,” he said breaking out into another fit of tears.

 

Dongfang Bubai stared coldly for a few seconds. Her fist's were clenched so tightly as he spoke that she drew blood, as small droplets were hitting the floor.

 

'Old fool!...'

 

Without warning, she suddenly flew out of the meeting hall with Linghu Chong quickly following.

 

-xXx-

 

A few minutes later, a column of energy exploded towards the sky. Dongfang Bubai's anguish filled screamed could be heard for miles as it echoed throughout the mountain range.

 

Dongfang Bubai vented her bottled up emotions in the same clearing Linghu Chong and Xiong had their mock fight. Using her bare hands, she began to slash and exerted her energy at nearby trees, or frankly anything that was in her path.

 

After a half hour the clearing was laid bare and torn, like a great plow had rend the earth. Trees great and small were uprooted, overturned, shattered and splintered, indicating destruction only the most terrible of storms could inflict. The terrain was completely destroyed as its destroyer knelt on the ground staring up at her husband with a blank stare. Linghu Chong for his part only looked at her with compassion, trying his best to figure out how to comfort her.

 

Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you approve of everything they may or may not do. But regardless of whether you agree with them or not you still love them. You won't run away and abandon them in the difficult moments even if staying by them puts you in harms way or makes you an object of scorn and ridicule.

 

“You must think I'm a monster Linghu Chong for wanting to kill my father and step-mother...A soulless evil monster...I...I wont blame you if you want to divorce me...”

 

During his wife mini rampage. Linghu Chong had decided it was best to let her let out all of the pent up emotions she was feeling. He remained at a distance, silently observing the scene until it seemed she mentally wore down.

 

Her statement, left him feeling appalled that she would even consider that he would do such a thing.

 

“I knew who and what you were when I took you as my bride. How can I abandon you now?” he said passionately.

 

“For better or for worse we will spend the rest of our lives together. That is the commitment I made when we were married.”

 

A tear escaped from his wife’s right eye after he spoke.

 

This is what love is.

 

“The night we first met, you unknowingly saved those two Qingcheng Sect disciple lives. I lead them into the ally to dispose of them quietly.”

 

Linghu Chong was a little surprised at the sudden change of topic. Truth be told, he was also disturbed how she so casually talked about murder as if talking about the weather but he had to admit Luo Renjie and Yu Renhao would have had it coming, since it seemed they were planning on her.

 

“In truth they would have deserved such a fate given their wicked intentions,” he said flatly.

 

“True...”

 

“I want to apologize. You shouldn’t be in the middle of my family problems.

Can you really love a monster like me?...How do you know one day that I won't turn on you?”

 

“Stop it! You are not a monster!”

 

Linghu Chong grabbed her by both shoulders and stared intently at his wife.

 

“Yes, you may be a 'little' violent. But I've also seen the good you can do. How many times have you saved my life? Look at how you can sacrifice your happiness for Yi Lin. I bet that if I had fallen in love with Ying Ying and she were dieing, and by giving your heart was the only way to save her. You would do so just so I would be happy...”

 

They had completely different personalities. Both made many mistakes which they regretted. One was once too arrogant and prideful while the other was too rigid in his thinking and made himself into a hypocrite by doing so. But yet, love still blossomed regardless of their faults.

 

“Can't you see I will love you no matter the faults you have?” he said desperately.

 

Dongfang Bubai just gazed upon the man she married with all the love in her heart. She slowing rose to her feet and without warning kissed him passionately. The sudden action caused them both to lose their balance which resulted them both falling to the ground with Dongfang Bubai on top of her husband.

 

They both began to chuckle at the spectacle.

 

“If you look at what they did in a positive light. It allowed us to meet. Without you my life means nothing...” he said sweetly, while gently her cheek with his right hand.

 

Dongfang Bubai was taken aback by his words, as her eyes became watery. She was simply overjoyed to have someone like him in her life. For love so passionate, so unconditional, wouldn't you feel the same? And to think that they both almost missed out on this because of misunderstanding and pride.

 

“There you go again with your sweet talk. Trying to get me in bed again you lecher?” she said with a faint smile.

 

Smiling mischievously Linghu Chong decided to play along.

 

“Of course. Isn't that what us lecher's do? We are already half way there,” he said with a wink.

 

-xXx-

 

“How are you feeling?” Linghu Chong asked with a cautious look.

 

Dongfang Bubai instantly knew why he had asked the question. Without saying a word she nestled her head unto his chest.

 

It was now a couple of hours till midnight. The pair had decided to go back to the assembly hall. Upon arriving back they were quickly greeted by Feng Buping and the other Sword Sect disciples. Scared straight was definitely the right term to describe the Huashan Sect castoffs.

 

Linghu Chong was thankful he didn't see his in laws anywhere in sight. Feng Buping informed them that the elder couple along with Xiong was staying in one of the side houses. Naturally they wouldn't leave/ be allowed to leave until Linghu Chong or his wife decided their fates. Feng Buping though wanted to do anything within his power to help the couple. Without Dongfang Bo help the Sword Sect may have perished a long time ago. But, he was completely terrified of Dongfang Bubai and didn't want her anger directed at him in any way. So he continued to rack his brain for a solution to accomplish both tasks.

 

Linghu Chong also noticed Feng Qingyang was no where in sight and was informed the Huashan Sect elder had disappeared like smoke in the wind shortly after he and Dongfang Bubai left the assembly hall.

 

Though he didn't leave without word. But the words were directed at Feng Buping and whole of Sword Sect. Obey without question if you value your lives.

 

After which Feng Buping showed them to his own room to use as their own. Linghu Chong thanked him and gave instructions that they be not disturbed until the following morning.

 

Which now brings us to the present as Linghu Chong had used intimacy with his wife to help keep her mind off her parents.

 

“I want you to forgive them... I know trust may not be there between you and them, but he is still your father. How can you bare to kill him?”

 

Dongfang Bubai let out a heavy sigh. In her heart, she knew that Linghu Chong was right. But letting go of the hatred was proving for more difficult then she imagined.

 

“Have you never heard the saying. How can a person ask God to forgive them if they won't forgive others.”

 

Perhaps it was time to let the hate go.

 

By holding on, you might still be searching for closure, and needing an apology from someone, again, or for the first time. You want to arrive at the moment with all the baggage in hand, to make sure they understand all the weight you have been carrying around. Seeking validation for your suffering, acknowledgment, and to be reassured, yes, indeed, you really were hurt.

 

We hold onto the hurt, the anger, the resentment, because we fear that if we could let it go effortlessly, then whoever caused the pain in the first place, would be getting away with it too easily.

 

It is said that willingness to forgive a parent or friend for a betrayal, developing a capacity for forgiveness can help keep small disappointments from developing into big ones. Regularly practicing forgiveness can keep small incidents from hardening into lingering resentment.

 

“Forgiveness doesn't mean to pretend everything is fine. Is not to stuff away angry and hurt feelings. Is not to accept the hurtful behavior. Is not something you can be pressured to do. Is not forgetting a past hurt, but rather, developing a picture of hurt without dwelling on the emotions. Finally, it is letting go of the need to get even with the person,” he said in a sagely manner, which left his wife impressed.

 

“More words of wisdom from when you were growing up?” Dongfang Bubai said with a smile.

 

Linghu Chong simply laughed before nodding.

 

“Only forgiveness can resolve hatred. I believe that if you insist on killing your father and step mother, you may eventually have to die too. Xiong and maybe even Yi Lin may want to seek revenge for their parents. It is only by letting it go that you, and them can be free.”

 

Dongfang Bubai wanted to retort. Wanted to say how it was her right to take revenge for what happened to her. But deep in her heart she knew her lover's words were correct.

 

“Plus if this situation can be peacefully resolved. One day perhaps even the situation between yourself and Ying Ying and Elder Ren can even be fixed.”

 

“Things aren’t as simple between myself and the Ren's as you may think Linghu Chong. Yes, I killed Ying Ying's mother, and betrayed and imprisoned her father. It was only my lust for power that lead me to do such things. I also believed Ren Woxing had something to do with my Master's disappearance.”

 

“What?!” Linghu Chong asked genuinely surprised.

 

“I can't clearly prove it, but I found it highly suspicious he disappeared when they were deciding the next chief. His disappearance was simply to convenient.”

 

Linghu Chong eyes shot wide open at this new revelation.

 

“So...part of the reason you ousted Elder Ren was because you wanted revenge for you Master? Though without proof how do you know it was him that caused his disappearance?”

 

“Life can be rough on Black Wood Cliff. It's dog eat dog at times. The weak can get trampled on or even killed. Ruthless men will do whatever to gain power if the opportunity arises,” she said coldly.

 

'No wonder she can be so cold blooded at times. Growing up in that type of environment would turn anyone into a cold blooded killer.'

 

“Any way, enough about useless parents and old grudges...We have to discuss our clan affairs.”

 

“There is no turning back now Linghu Chong. Since we've started we won't be able to stop until we see this all the way through to whatever end it will lead to.”

 

'Our clan...My own clan,' he thought a bit mystified as if he just realized it wasn't a dream that he now controlled his own sect.

 

The words echoed in his mind. Linghu Chong was naturally excited but also scared. He knew from watching his master and mistress lead Huashan Sect that being chief was not something easy or a role to take lightly.

 

“Also...Linghu Chong if we do this. You must change your view on your master and mistress. Yes they will always be like real parents to you. No one can fault you for viewing them as such. But they are no longer your master and mistress. You are now the head of your own sect of your choosing; unlike what was forced on you with Mount Hengshan. And are now equal to any other sect leader.”

 

The words were said firmly, but with compassion, as Dongfang Bubai knew the subject regarding his adopted parents was still a sensitive one for her husband.

 

Linghu Chong nodded in agreement. But Dongfang Bubai could tell by the look in his eyes that he was thinking heavily on what was said.

 

“What shall we call the sect? Invincible Sword or Sword of the invincible?” she said abruptly changing the subject.

 

“So you have the name already figured out?” he said smiling, appreciative of her actions.

 

“Of course, one of us has to be the brains of this relationship,” she said playfully.

 

“Why those two names?” he asked curiously.

 

“Sword comes from your sword skills, mainly the Nine Swords of Dugu and invincible comes from my name.”

 

“That's...not bad actually. Its an imposing name, though some will consider it arrogant. The other sects will certainly think we are conceited,” he said with a smirk.

 

“Like I care about them. If they have a problem with it let them come and defeat us,” she said in a deadly tone.

 

Linghu Chong though simply laughed. He was learning to appreciate his wife’s passion.

 

“How about Sword of the Invincible then?” he said smiling.

 

“Now, since that's settled what skills shall we teach the disciples? I was thinking about a combination of the martial arts from Huashan Sect and Sun Moon Holy Cult. The combination of the two should make whomever studies it into a formidable practitioner.”

 

Linghu Chong again nodded, seeing the wisdom and benefit from combing the two opposing sects skills.

 

“Now, since that takes care of the skills for the disciples, I was thinking of a special skill for us, or mainly you...”

 

“Me...” he asked genuinely confused.

 

“Yes, I...I want you to study the Sunflower Manual.”

 

“Woman are you crazy?! Didn't you tell me while I was still recovering that if a man practices such an art he must castrate himself first?! There is no martial arts worth that!” he said looking appalled.

 

Dongfang Bubai let out an amused laugh at her husbands antics.

 

“Be calm my love...I think I've found a way around the need to castrate,” she said with a knowing smile.

 

To this new bit of news Linghu Chong gazed at his wife in shock, which quickly turned to barely contained excitement waiting for her to continue.

 

“This is something just between us as husband and wife. Like our vow to be with each other for the rest of our lives. I want our martial arts to be conjoined in the same way,” she said softly.

 

Linghu Chong gazed upon his wife with love as she gently kissed her forehead. Madly in love he was, stupid he was not. He knew there was more to it then what she was telling, but decided to let that come out in time. Regardless of what her real reasons were, he knew that it would not bring those they cared about, or their new clan harm, or so he hoped.

 

'I...I want to make you invincible Linghu Chong. Into a god of martial arts. The whole martial arts w...no, the whole of China will tremble at your name...'

 

-xXx-

 

At the same time as husband and wife were discussing their clan affairs. Standing on top of the same small lake where Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai had there mock duel. A lone figure dressed in all black, except for her face practiced her newly acquired martial arts skill.

 

Her hands were clasped behind her back and her eyes closed as she meditated. Without warning she waved her right hand in a slashing manner. The action caused an arched shaped column of water to jet into the sky about thirty yards.

 

The act also startled some birds on some of the nearby trees. With inhuman speed, she unleashed a flurry of needles towards the birds as they tried to fly away. The needles flew straight into them at an unimaginable speed killing them in the blink of an eye.

 

The figure smirked, pleased with herself, but she quickly cast away any type of cockiness as she knew that even though she was stronger then before. The level of power she gained still wasn't enough to defeat her hated enemy.

 

'I will kill you Dongfang Bubai! No matter what it takes I will avenge my mother!'

 

-xXx-

 

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed the chapter. As always any thoughts and or ideas are appreciated.