Chapter: 10

Swordsman: Sovereign

Swordsman: Sovereign

 

This FanFiction is loosely based on Jin Yong's Smiling Proud Wanderer and the new 2012/2013 series.

 

" Speech "

 

' Thoughts '

 

Salute = The Bao Quan Li - the wrap fist greeting/Fist Wrapping Rite

 

Chapter: 10

 

 

-xXx-

 

The next morning...

 

“Heroine Ning how is little sister Lingshan?” Linghu Chong asked with concern.

 

Ning Zhongze gazed upon the masked man standing behind her in sadness.

 

“I think she will be alright. The doctor said she is suffering from exhaustion, most likely caused by shock...”

 

“If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.”

 

“ If you two hadn't come along when you did last night I don't know what I would have done. I thank you both for the help in treating Ling'er,” she said managing to force out a smile.

 

'This is the fourth time he has helped Ling'er. He is truly a chivalrous person,' she thought happily; confident in her judgment of the masked man.

 

“She is not in any condition to travel or else I would have already taken her and left this place. But the doctor thinks in a few days she should be fine.”

 

“I see...” he said sounding and feeling a bit dejected.

 

Linghu Chong felt completely helpless at the moment. He did not know what to say or do to make his little martial sister and former master overcome their sadness. He himself still felt distressed over hearing the news of his master Yue Buqun and how utterly wicked the man he once idolized had become.

 

'Master, you've caused the ones who love you so much pain. How could you do this to all of us?' he thought sadly.

 

Dongfang Bubai felt her husbands sadness. Though she didn't care if Yue Lingshan lived or died, she did how ever love her husband and what brought him sadness did the same to her as well.

 

Not being a person who likes the feeling of powerlessness. So she decided to handle things in the way that was most comfortable for her. The former cult leader surprised everyone when she suddenly sat down on the bed. She then put her left hand of Yue Lingshan forehead and began to use a technique in hopes to revive the younger woman.

 

“Madam Lin...No, Yue Lingshan. Why do you cause so much sadness to your poor mother? Is this all because of a man? Why should you harm yourself for such a loathsome creature as that thing you married!” she said fiercely further shocking everyone in the room.

 

“What are y...” Ning Zhongze was stopped as Linghu Chong interrupted her.

 

“No, let her continue,” he said deciding to trust his wife's judgment.

 

Dongfang Bubai turned to the side with a smile; appreciating her husbands trust.

 

“Are you a person of the martial world or just some silly little girl? Be a strong woman and fight! Avenge yourself against the person who did this to you. If he broke your heart, then tear his out. Take away what is most precious to him!”

 

For words meant to comfort. The atmosphere was cold as the ice cave underneath shaolin temple.

 

'What a frightening woman...' Ning Zhongze thought as she invulnerability shivered.

 

“My husband and I saw your senior martial brother a couple of months ago. He seemed fine and was eager to see you and your mother again...Now wake up, so you can go see him...”

 

Dongfang Bubai hated to help her husbands' ex love. But for him, she would do anything; even help the person who at one time caused him so much pain and misery.

 

“What was that, you saw Linghu Chong?!” Ning Zhongze asked with barely contained excitement.

 

The sound of lite groaning could be heard as everyone turned their attention towards Yue Lingshan as she slowly opened her eyes. Subsequently, Dongfang Bubai removed her hand and stood next to her husband who whispered an almost in audible thank you to his wife.

 

“Ling'er, Ling'er your awake!” Ning Zhongze said happily.

 

Yue Lingshan looked around the room slowly as she tried to make sense of her surroundings. After a few seconds the previous days events flooded back into her mind, causing her to wish she had never woken up.

 

“Mother...”

 

“I know Ling'er, I know...”

 

Linghu Chongs' heart broke as he watched the scene. Despite his great skill

he felt truly powerless.

 

'Perhaps if I let them know who I really am. I'm sure that will cheer them up. But, that wouldn't fix the issue with master nor Lin Pingzhi. It would only be a temporary fix to a much deeper problem. Besides, Qiang would scold me if I revealed my identity now.'

 

“Little sister Yue Lingshan, Heroine Ning. You are both welcome to stay with us in South Hengshan until you see fit to return to Mount Huashan. As my wife mentioned before. Your senior brother Linghu Chong is still alive and well. I will send someone for him so he will know where to find you both.”

 

Yue Lingshan like her mother was surprised at the news and though still feeling the distress from her conversation with her husband she allowed a smile, albeit small, to cross her face.

 

“I'm sure you two will have much to catch up on. He was in good health. I believe he was suffering from a serious injury which almost cost him his life; which was the reason he hasn't been seen or heard from in months,” stated Linghu Chong.

 

“What, how did he get so injured?” Ning Zhongze asked with concern.

 

“You must ask him yourself Heroine Ning. When we met last, he was more focused on treating his injuries then talking about how he was injured.”

 

Ning Zhongze gazed at the masked man with a strange expression. The feelings of familiarity were growing stronger and stronger the more she was around the man.

 

'Could this masked man actually be Chong'er?!'

 

Ning Zhongze put the thought out of her mind almost as soon as it appeared. She deemed the stress she was going through recently was clouding her thoughts.

 

'Chong'er and this man are nothing alike; their aura's and demeanor's are completely different...'

 

“Thank God Chong'er is still alive, and thank you Chief Fox for telling us,” she said happily.

 

Though she had a smile on her face. Ning Zhongze's feelings were a bit bitter sweet. Not that she wanted him to be dead or hurt. But she had no idea how she would face her former student after the wrongs her husband and Huashan Sect had done to him.

 

“Don't you mean you saw little brother Linghu stuffing a wine bottle in his mouth?” Dongfang Bubai said in a teasing manner towards her husband.

 

Linghu Chong stared at his wife for a few seconds before bursting out in loud laughter.

 

“Indeed, young brother Linghu was wanting to find some good wine to drink. I believe he said his motto is to live is to drink and to drink is to live.”

 

Ning Zhongze sighed lightly, feeling a little embarrassed for her former disciple after hearing about his antics. Though a small smile crossed her face, hearing that he was apparently the same person she knew and had not let his recent trials effect him negatively.

 

Yue Lingshan though let out a giggle which was something no one was expecting given her mental state.

 

“I see senior martial brother is still the same as always...” she said fondly.

 

Linghu Chong smiled warmly, happy at least for the moment his little martial sister was able to find something to bring a smile to her face.

 

“We should be going now Heroine Ning, little sister Lingshan. I'm sure you both wish to talk and then get some rest.”

 

“Yue Lingshan...You must decide how you will deal with pain. Either let it go and forget the wrong done to you, or avenge yourself against the person who harmed you. To lay in a bed and wither away brings nothing good and will only bring harm to those around you who love and care for you,” stated Dongfang Bubai.

 

“Indeed what my wife said is true. You are stronger then this little sister. Do not let this destroy you,” Linghu Chong said deciding to add in his two cents.

 

Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai gave one last look to the two women before politely saluting, then walking out of the room.

 

Ning Zhongze was appreciative of the couple for what they did to try and help her daughter get through her heart ache.

 

'Wait, did they hear the conversation from last night. They sound like they know why Ling'er is in depression. Were they ease dropping? That must be it. No wonder they appeared so suddenly...'

 

Ning Zhongze scolded herself for not realizing this sooner. She knew better then to overlook something so obvious. But in the end she was happy they were eavesdropping and grateful for their help and support.

 

'They let me know that Chong'er is still alive. Heaven has smiled down on me. I may not be able to help Ling'er much now, but at least I have the chance to make things up to Chong'er.'

 

Ning Zhongze didn't know why, but she had the feeling that a lot of things would be made clear once she meet her former disciple again.

 

If she only knew how right she was...

 

-xXx-

 

The birthday celebration for Wang Yuanba was approaching its fifth day. Golden saber used the time to gain even more influence and to show off his considerable wealth. Though his flaunting was kind of obvious none the guests had any objection as they got to eat and drink as much as they wanted.

 

The last day of the party was saved for a martial arts competition. Friendly fights, no killing or serious injuries allowed; except for perhaps many people's pride in their skills or lack there of.

 

Golden saber also was asked by some high ranking government officials and sect chiefs to have the fights. For the sect chiefs, so they can spread their sects fame to gain more students. For the officials, so they can decide the best schools to send their children to.

 

This was the very reason why Dongfang Bubai wanted to come to the celebration. She had heard about this from the spies she sent when she was still leader of the Sun Moon Holy Cult, and knew it would be the perfect opportunity to show of her and Linghu Chongs' skills; and gain students from rich families.

 

Of course the more famous you became the more attention you would garner; the more prying eyes would be upon you. Dongfang Bubai had no real fear of this other then from the Sun Moon Holy Cult. She knew that Ren Woxing would often send out spies to check on the activities of the different martial clans.

 

But given he was still getting re-accustomed to being back as leader and weeding out those still loyal to her. She figured, and correctly so. He wouldn't bother much with a new upstart clan and send spy's to investigate the two 'new' forces in the pugilistic world just yet.

 

Since his wife was much better at socializing and gaining information then himself. Linghu Chong left such matters to her and decided instead to check on his little martial sister since the young woman hadn't come out of her room the entire week. He wanted to see if she would at least take a small walk with him to try and get her mind; albeit understandably difficult as it would be, off of the situation with Lin Pingzhi.

 

He also wanted his wife and Ning Zhongze to have some time alone together. At Dongfang Bubais' encouragement, the former cult leader had convinced the older woman to join her in socializing with the other guests; telling Huashan Sect's second master it would help take her mind off of the troubles her and Yue Lingshan were going through.

 

Ning Zhongze was hesitant at first, but surprisingly Yue Lingshan had given the okay to leave her side; imploring her to go, or else people might start to wonder why Huashan Sect's Heroine Ning has not shown her face since the first day of the celebration. Possibly, bringing unwanted scrutiny towards Huashan.

 

Being raised along with Yue Lingshan for basically their entire lives. Linghu Chong could tell there was another reason his little martial sister wanted her mother to leave. So when he came to her room and found the door open and his martial sister nowhere in site he wasn't entirely that surprised.

 

'Where is she?' .

 

“Oh Mr. Fox...are you looking for Madam Lin? She said she needed to take a walk and would be back soon,” a young servant girl said nervously from behind Linghu Chong.

 

Linghu Chong was surprised that he didn't notice the young girl's presence sooner, but excused it as his mind was too focused on wondering where is little martial sister could have gone.

 

“Thank you...” he said politely.

 

'Perhaps I came in vain. Looks like little sister has regained her strength and will to live. Perhaps she just wanted to take stroll by herself to clear her mind,' he said hoping that was the reason Yue Lingshan left the room.

 

Linghu Chong then began to look around the compound after not being able to shake the feeling that he should find Yue Lingshan as soon as possible. He thought that the forbidding feeling of danger came from paranoia that she may try and commit suicide given her emotional state.

 

'No! I must not think like that! Little sister wouldn't do that! But, I have to be sure...'

 

A few minutes later, Linghu Chong eventually came upon another servant girl and asked if she had seen Yue Lingshan. To his great relief she had and had pointed him in the direction she was last spotted; which turned out to be the training ground for the next days events.

 

As he approached the entrance, he heard a man and woman who sound like Yue Lingshan talking and decided to hide himself next to the entrance to quietly listen in on their conversation.

 

-xXx-

 

“Ping Zhi,” Yue Lingshan said softly.

 

Lin Pingzhi was surprised when he heard his wifes' voice, but put on a stern face so as not to show his astonishment.

 

“Oh its Yue Buqun's precious daughter. Did you ask me to meet you here so you can get revenge for how I used you or have you decided to help your dad kill me?”

 

Yue Lingshan didn't respond negatively. She was determined to save her marriage and nothing Lin Pingzhi could say or do would deter her from this monumental task.

 

“I married you so we belong to each other. No matter what you have become you Lin Pingzhi will always be my husband,” she said tenderly.

 

Lin Pingzhi heart was pounding in his chest. He turned away from his wife as his emotions were causing him to become choked up.

 

Yue Lingshan slowly walked up to her husband and continued speaking. Seeing his silence as a good sign in her quest.

 

“Pingzhi, these painful things of the past. Let's forget them, lets just think of it as a bad dream.”

 

Lin Pingzhi closed his eyes, his emotions again threatening to get the better of him.

 

“Let me accompany you anywhere in the world. We can hide our identities and will no longer have anything to do with the martial world.”

 

This caused him to fiercely snap his head towards her direction.

 

“Are you willing? Can you really give up everything you have just to be with me?” he asked skeptically.

 

Before she responded. Yue Lingshan gently grabbed her husbands left hand. He tried to pull away at her touch, but she quickly grabbed his hand with both hands.

 

“Pingzhi, of course I'm willing,” she said tenderly.

 

“Why are you so good to me?” he asked truly perplexed by her actions.

 

“Because I am your wife...” she responded softly.

 

“My..my wife,” he said reaching up with his right hand to feel for his wife's face.

 

Yue Lingshan without any reservation helped guide his hand and gently rubbed her cheek against his probing fingers.

 

“I am here. I am here,” she said happily at his actions, tears also forming in her eyes.

 

Lin Pingzhi then shocked his wife further by dropping his walking stick and hugging her fiercely. Yue Lingshan was caught of guard by the sudden act put with joy, returned the loving gesture.

 

“Lingshan, I'm sorry about last time. I didn't mean to cause you so much pain. Right now, I'm blind and also a eunuch. I am useless now as a man and a husband. If you follow me you will only suffer. I did that last time because I wanted you to give up and go back to Linghu Chong. Do you understand?”

 

“I understand, Pingzhi, I understand, I understand,” she said happily as she started to cry tears of joy.

 

“Okay, I promise, I promise...”

 

Lin Pingzhi stopped himself. He was about to give in to his wifes wishes and proclaim that from that day forward they will move away and live in the north desert and that nothing will separate them. That though was until he remembered the vow to avenge his parents death.

 

“Pingzhi, is something wrong?” Yue Lingshan asked concerned.

 

'This would be for the best. If she were to continue to be with me her life would only be filled with pain and misery. At least her life would be better with Linghu Chong. I did wrong to those two by intervening in their relationship so I could avenge my parents faster. I can at least try and make it up to both of them by sending Yue Lingshan back to him.'

 

“Go...” he said with a heavy sigh as he bent down and retrieved his walked stick.

 

Yue Lingshan was shocked. One moment it seemed her wishes to be reunited with the man she loved would come true. The next it seemed her world was about to crumble around her all over again.

 

“Pingzhi, why do you want me to leave. Tell me what is troubling you...”

 

Lin Pingzhi then roughly pushed his wife aside, causing her to fall to the floor.

 

“Pingzhi!” Yue Lingshan said shocked as she stared up with hurt eyes at her husband.

 

“I said go! We are no longer husband and wife, so just leave!” he screamed in anger.

 

“Pingzhi p-please no, anything but that,” Yue Lingshan said hysterically as she scrambled to her feet.

 

Yue Lingshans' pleading seemed to fall on death ears, as her husbands expression remained unchanged.

 

“From this day forward we are no longer husband and wife... I will write you a divorce certificate so that there is no misunderstanding. I will even state that I'm the one who is abandoning you and the marriage so there won't be a stigma on you. Don't worry since you are still a you won't have any trouble finding another husband.”

 

Yue Lingshan had a blank look on her face before quickly changing to one of horror as her husbands words sunk in.

 

“Y-you can't do this to me Pingzhi. After all that we went through, this is how you repay my loyalty to you? Don't do this, please don't do this,” she said as a stream of tears began to fall.

 

-xXx-

 

Linghu Chong watched heart broken as his junior martial sister broke down into a quivering mess of tears. He watched silently as she grabbed her soon to be ex husband my his right arm and began to plead with him to change his mind.

 

'All of this because of revenge and a martial arts manual. Was revenge more important then the woman who loved him.'

 

Linghu Chong contemplated if he should intervene in the domestic dispute or mind his own business. He was thankful that he seemed to be the only other person in the area besides the jaded couple. What was happening to Yue Lingshan was embarrassing enough and someone else seeing the tragic scene would only bring about more pain for his little martial sister as that person would most likely tell others what they had seen and heard.

 

But the decision was made for him as he watched Lin Pingzhi strike Yue Lingshan in the chest with a palm strike, knocking the young woman down to the ground.

 

“Little sister Lingshan are you okay?” he said as he appeared by her side in an instant.

 

“I'm okay,” she said struggling to breath, while holding her right hand towards her chest.

 

“This dog! Didn't you do enough harm to her when you divorced her?! Why did you have to try and kill her?!” Linghu Chong said perplexed and angry at Lin Pingzhis' actions.

 

Lin Pingzhi was surprised that someone was listening in on their conversation, but put on a stoic face to not show how caught off guard he was by the masked mans sudden appearance.

 

“Oh, so it's Brother Fox. Tell me masked man, what right do you have to intervene in our business?” Lin Pingzhi said smugly.

 

“Shut your mouth!” Linghu Chong screamed in rage.

 

Lin Pingzhi involuntarily shuttered feeling the killing intent coming off his former classmate.

 

“You tried to kill this little sister and you dear ask why I'm here?!”

 

Lin Pingzhi summoned his courage. Afterall he knew his family's Evil-Warding Swordplay, who besides Yue Buqun could be a match for him?

 

“I owe you from that time you knocked me out Brother Fox. How about I pay you back for it now!”

 

Closing the distance between them in the blink of an eye. Lin Pingzhi tried to hit Linghu Chong with a palm strike to the face, but to his surprise his movements were matched and the two found themselves engaged in a battle of inner energy and strength as their palm strikes met head on.

 

Amazed that they seemed to be at a stalemate. Lin Pingzhi began to throw multiple palm strikes followed by various kicks in an attempt to best his opponent. Like before each strike was perfectly matched and countered with an equally powerful move.

 

To any watching, except for high level martial artists. It would seem as both men's moves were like illusions given how ghostly each attack appeared.

 

Despite being gravely injured Yue Lingshan found herself captivated by the battle raging before her. Or to be more precise what she could make out of the battle, as she could barely see their attacks.

 

As the seconds passed, Lin Pingzhi was getting more and more frustrated as the battle waged on. No matter the attack he tried it was instantly countered and with it his pride also took a hit at not being able to finish the fight quickly.

 

Taking a step back, Lin Pingzhi tried to unsheath the sword hidden in his walking stick, but Linghu Chong would have none of that. In an instant, he grabbed his former classmate's right hand, forcing the sword back into its sheath before it was completely pulled out.

 

'Who is this person that he can fight even with my family's Evil-Warding Swordplay?' Lin Pingzhi thought truly mystified.

 

Deciding it was best to end the battle, Lin Pingzhi raised his right hand as he began to yell.

 

Linghu Chong watched quietly with a smirk, as his former classmate gathered his inner energy.

 

“This is the end for you...” Linghu Chong said coldly.

 

Lin Pingzhi once again involuntarily shuttered. If there was one thing Linghu Chong picked up from his wifes' personality was how to intimidate people. He watched and studied how she would terrify Feng Buping; for fun most times. By simply saying things in a cold and emotionless manner to such a degree that the former Sword Sect headmaster was scared to even breathe too loudly in her presence.

 

With a roar, Lin Pingzhi shot his hand forward intending to end his opponents life.

 

Yue Lingshan in that moment tried to get in between the two men but before she could make a move an embroidery needle hit the acupoint in her right leg; leaving it temporarily parlayed.

 

Linghu Chong met the incoming attack with his left palm. Lin Pingzhi was left speechless as his his attack was stopped dead in its tracks; and apparently with little effort.

 

'How can this be. My families swordplay is unrivaled in the world. Yet this masked freak is matching me no matter what I do!' he thought in a rage.

 

Lin Pingzhi let out a grunt as he tried to pull his hand away put found he couldn't pull it away from his opponent at all.

 

'What's going on,' he thought slightly panicked.

 

“This is for the wrongs you did to little sister Lingshan,” Linghu Chong said menacingly.

 

'Star- Skill?!' Lin Pingzhi thought with alarm.

 

Lin Pingzhi tried to unsheathe the sword hidden in his walking stick once again, but this time Linghu Chong hit the younger man with a palm strike to the face, before snatching the sword from his hand while he was staggered.

 

“I'll make you pay for..AHHH!”

 

Lin Pingzhi let out a piercing scream as Linghu Chong drove the sword into his thigh.

 

Giving his opponent no time to breath. Linghu Chong rained down multiple punches and palm strikes to the face, stomach and chest to his former classmate with his right hand.

 

Lin Pingzhi almost couldn't believe the force behind each blow. They carried the same if not more power then his own.

 

'My families swordplay is unbeatable. How can I be so helpless before his attacks,'

 

With a final punch to the face Linghu Chong finished his onslaught. Lin Pingzhi bent forward and coughed out a glob of blood.

 

Quickly grabbing the blind mans left had by the wrist. Linghu Chong unleashed the full wrath of the new and improved Star- Skill. Lin Pingzhi was helpless to resist, as he was unable to pull his hands away and fell to his knees.

 

“You thought your vaunted family martial arts will protect you from me?! Nothing can protect you from me!” Linghu Chong roared, eyes blazing in anger.

 

 

-xXx-

 

A/N: Hmmm, Linghu Chong seems a tad upset... :-D