Chapter: 5

Swordsman: Sovereign

Swordsman: Sovereign

 

This FanFiction is loosely based on Jin Yong's Smiling Proud Wanderer and the new 2012/2013 series.

 

" Speech "

 

' Thoughts '

 

Salute = The Bao Quan Li - the wrap fist greeting/Fist Wrapping Rite

 

Chapter: 5

 

-xXx-

 

A few minutes later...

 

“But Master I’m telling the truth. His name was Sovereign and he was great in martial arts. He even knew our sects martial arts. He even said he was greater then Dongfang Bubai and even had a fight with you before,” stated Xiong.

 

As his black and brown robe blew gently in a slight breeze. Feng Buping admired the scenery as he and his young disciple walked back to their home. Though the Sword Sect leader acted like he didn't believe his disciple he knew Xiong was a honest and trustworthy young man and wouldn’t lie about such a thing. Grasping the sword in his right hand tightly. He readied himself for a surprise attack.

 

'That means whomever he fought must be following us,' he thought with concern as he stealthy looked around trying to pinpoint his tracker's movements.

 

Spotting nothing out of the ordinary, Feng Buping decided to lead them into where the Sword Sect were currently residing, thinking it would be less likely for them to hide once not having the cover of the forest.

 

Ten minutes later master and disciple made it back to their home. With a hand motion, Feng Buping secretly alerted Xiong to prepare for battle. The boys eyed shot wide open for a couple of seconds before he hastily nodded. The other Sword Sect disciples, numbering ten young men a couple of years older then Xiong, but like him, sported white and brown robes. Ran up to greet their master, but were given the same signal as they saluted him.

 

The area where they now made their home use to be a retreat for elders of Mount Hua to use when they wanted to practice a new skill or needed a break from the monotony of life. It was a simple area, containing a bare courtyard which measured around fifty yards. On each side of the courtyard there were two simple looking houses. Directly to the north there was a much larger house, which doubled as a home with multiple rooms and a also meeting hall. In essence the area was a smaller, less grand version of the area the Qi Sect now occupied.

 

Feng Buping didn't have to wait long to find out who the mysterious trackers were as two figures came floating down from the tree tops and landed a few feet away. The two were immediately surrounded by Xiong and his martial brothers, with their swords drawn.

 

“What a dump this place is, I expected better,” Dongfang Bubai said condescendingly.

 

“You vile demoness how dare you step foot in here?!” bellowed Feng Buping.

 

“The demoness? Is that what you teach these children Feng Buping?”

 

Upon hearing the woman standing in front of them was the killer of Chen Buyou. Xiong and the rest of the Sword Sect disciples rushed towards Dongfang Bubai with their swords extended, hoping to take revenge. In an instant Linghu Chong extended his right hand, which was now glowing with power. Without warning all the swords were pulled from the holders hands, and were crushed and condensed into a metal ball about the size of a soccer ball.

 

To say everyone save for Dongfang Bubai was in shock would have been an understatement.

 

“Brothers lets not be hasty, we did not come here to fight,” Linghu Chong said as gently as he could, trying to pacify the situation.

 

“Linghu Chong how come you are here?!” Feng Buping said getting over his shock.

 

Linghu Chong politely saluted, as any junior would to their elder.

 

“So the rumors I heard are true. Yue Bequin did expel you after all. Why though? With your skill you are easily the most powerful person in Huashuan Sect and should have been appointed chief. Why would that hypocrite harm the Sect like this?”

 

Linghu Chong let out a heavy sigh, as his countenance became downcast thinking of his painful expulsion.

 

“Like he needs that sorry excuse for a Master!” Dongfang Bubai said irritated.

 

The coldness and utter disdain in Dongfang Bubai's voice caused Feng Buping's blood to run cold in fear. He suddenly remembered another rumor, one he only heard in passing and at the time didn't pay it much thought. That Linghu Chong had gathered a group of followers of the Sun Moon Cult and led them to Shaolin in order to free someone. The identity of the person was something which got even more confusing. Some said it was the Holy Lady of the Cult and others it was in fact the infamous Dongfang Bubai herself.

 

'But if its true, that she is either Holy Lady or Dongfang Bubai then that would explain why Yue Bequin expelled him. Given his hate for them, because of his parents being killed by some of the members of the Sun Moon Cult when he was younger.'

 

Feng Buping once again became tense. He considered it a joke at first one that seemed too improbable to believe. That Dongfang Bubai was really a beautiful woman and that whomever was in Shaolin, whether Holy Lady or the cults chief, was Linghu Chong's lover.

 

“Mr. Feng is indeed wise. Yes I’ve been expelled, but that’s not the reason for being here. We have come to discuss something with you. We both believe it will benefit all parties involved.”

 

Feng Buping looked at them hesitantly. After his defeat at the hands of Linghu Chong, and how easily Dongfang Bubai killed Chen Buyou. He knew a fight now would only lead to his and the disciples deaths. So begrudgingly he led them into the meeting hall to see why they sought him out.

 

-xXx-

 

Ten minutes later...

 

“Why are you being so stubborn Feng Buping. If things remain as they are then your sword faction will die. Why do that? If you agree to join us then your sect can live again and be prominent figures like before; perhaps even greater,” Dongfang Bubai snapped in annoyance.

 

Linghu Chong, Dongfang Bubai, and Feng Buping, sat facing each other while the rest of Sword Sect stood behind their master with bated breath.

 

“Do you honestly expect me to believe that you both came here to help us?! Do I look like a fool to you?!” he said agitated.

 

“Yes you do!” Dongfang Bubai yelled back.

 

Linghu Chong quickly put his hand on his wife's left shoulder, stopping her from getting up from her seat. From her look, she seemed like she was about to go over and slap or to be more precise beat Feng Buping and whomever else would dare disagree into submission.

 

“Why shed more blood and create even more animosity? Revenge doesn’t always mean taking another life. If you can strive as a greater sect then the Qi haven’t you gained victory?” Linghu Chong said calmly.

 

Feng Buping had to admit to himself that Linghu Chong's words held great truth in them. He would not say it out loud do to his pride. But the wisdom Linghu Chong displayed was nearly irrefutable.

 

“Besides Feng Qingyang sent us here. He wants you to do this,” Dongfang Bubai said flatly.

 

“How dare you soil the name of the great Grandmaster!! He would never associate with someone like you!!” he roared in rage, as he slammed his right palm against the arm rest of his chair.

 

“Someone like me? Who do you think I am?” she asked suspiciously.

 

Feng Buping quickly composed himself and was silent. He was unsure if he should voice the rumors that he had heard. If said gossip were true, then it could mean the end of his life. In the end, erring on the side of caution. He decided it was best to remain silent as to not provoke either person.

 

“Why are you getting upset? He did send us here and even gave me a message to tell you,” Dongfang Bubai said with an amused smile.

 

“He said to tell you that you are a lazy good for nothing and to shut up and do as you are told! Lazy, girl chasing mule! If you have time to chase women go and practice your sword skill!”

 

The words were cold and emotionless and stunned all who heard them.

 

Many from the Sword Sect looked ready to attack at the show of disrespect. In fact they would have already done so, if it weren't for Linghu Chong's earlier show of skill, letting them know fighting them would be futile.

 

Feng Buping though was anything but insulted. To the contrary he simply laughed, naturally shocking everyone.

 

'Those words were what he would normally say to me whenever I was slacking off in my training...' Feng Buping thought fondly.

 

“Feng Buping!!” a male voice suddenly screamed.

 

All were shocked to see an elderly man with long gray hair, wearing a simple white rope suddenly float into the hall.

 

“Elder Feng!” Linghu Chong said excitedly as he stood to greet him.

 

“G-Grand Master!” Feng Biping said in disbelief as he got on both knees and bowed before Feng Qingyang.

 

“You stubborn mule! Can't you see that the Sword Sect will die if you refuse to join with them?!” he said pointing towards Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai.

 

'So they were telling the truth, he really did send them...'

 

“B...But Elder, how can we accept a Qi Sect disciple as chief? Wouldn't that disgrace us?”

 

The sound of Feng Buping being slapped so hard that he flung against the wall echoed in the room.

 

“Disgrace?! You whored yourself to Zuo Lengshan to gain glory, power, for what? He used you and threw you away when you had no further use! He didn't even try and graft you lot into Song Sect! Just like a e, once he was done with you, you were tossed away!” Feng Qingyang said genuinely angry at how Feng Buping had let himself be used like a puppet.

 

Feng Qingyang's words were harsh but had the desired effect as all the Sword Sect disciples began to feel shame as they helped their master stand.

 

“Look at the state of the Sword Sect now you stubborn mule! You are on your last legs. In a few more years I doubt there will even be a Sect any more! If you refuse then I will just finish you all off right now!” he said as killing intent filled the hall.

 

Feng Buping ran back up to Feng Qingyang and bowed back before him. Though his cheek was red and bleeding from the blow, he dared not voice a complaint at being disrespected.

 

“Please Grand Elder calm yourself!” Feng Buping said in alarm.

 

The Sword Sect disciples looked at each other with alarm, not sure as to what to do. Naturally hey had all heard of the legendary Feng Qingyang and knew such a person was worthy of great respect and honor. Taking a cue from their Master, they got down on their knees and also begged Feng Qingyang to spare them.

 

“I will only say this one more time. Either you except them as your new Chiefs or the Sword Sect dies today!” he bellowed.

 

“Look's like there is no turning back now,” Dongfang Bubai whispered to her husband as she found the scene quite amusing.

 

“Yes no turning back. Besides this would be a better life then simply having us sell things at a market to earn a living. Just meagerly watching as the world passed us by,” Linghu Chong whispered back into his wife’s ear.

 

All of the Sword Sect looked towards Feng Buping for instructions. Their fate and more importantly their lives were now in his hands.

 

'Grand Elder is correct. The sect won't survive like this much longer. Though it pains me to have a Qi member as Chief if elder thinks this is best. Who am I do disagree with him? Though he can be harsh, he always had my best interest at hand when I was younger. And now its not just me that he is concerned for, but also Xiong and the rest of the disciples. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that I will do them a great disservice if I let my pride and stubbornness get in the way.'

 

“I...I have one question to ask of them Master...” he said turning towards Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai, but mainly towards the latter.

 

“Are you related to the Holy Lady of the devil cult or it's Chief Dongfang Bubai?...”

 

The words caused everyone to stare at Feng Buping in shock. Then all eyes turned to Dongfang Bubai as she had a smirk on her face.

 

“I heard Dongfang Bubai died...It's best not to wake the dead,” she said coldly.

 

Her response was short and subtle but had a dangerous undertone which Feng Buping easily picked up on.

 

“Greetings to Master and Mistress!” he said saluting them.

 

Soon all the disciples did the same, though their thoughts were still in a whirlwind.

 

“Is that the proper way to greet your new Chiefs?” Dongfang Bubai said coldly, causing Feng Buping and the disciples to look at her wearily.

 

“The way you should greet us is to say this. Talented in academics and gifted in martial arts. Just and wise Holy Chief's who are unrivaled. Unifying the martial arts world for a thousand years!” her words were filled with authority and dared anyone to refuse her command.

 

Linghu Chong looked at her in disbelief as he put his face into his palm and let out a muffled laugh.

 

“Talented in academics and gifted in martial arts. Just and wise Holy Chief's who are unrivaled. Unifying the martial arts world for a thousand years!” the disciples shouted as one.

 

Feng Qingyang let out a hearty laugh. If anything the fate of the Sword Sect would be interesting to watch to say the least.

 

“Oh Master Feng please forgive me for intruding, I didn't see you had guests,” an old man in his fifties wearing a simple gray robe, suddenly said as he walked into the hall.

 

Old Bo as he was nicknamed. Merchant, blacksmith and jack of all trades. Also the father of Xiong, who had a huge smile on his face, overjoyed that his parents had finally returned from buying and selling merchandise.

 

“Father!” Xiong said happily, as he ran to greet his father.

 

“I hope our kids greet us so happily when we get older,” Linghu Chong said with a warm smile.

 

When no comment came from his wife. Linghu Chong turned to her and was greeted by her mesmerized look.

 

When you marry someone you just don't marry them. But you also become part of whatever problems or troubles they may have in their lives. Whatever effects them effects you. Whatever issues or problems that may have happened in the past, if not rectified can and will also become your problems and issues.

 

A sudden and suffocating killing intent hit all in the room. Linghu Chong was startled by his wife’s actions, but what surprised and confused him even more was the look of absolute hatred on Dongfang Bubai's face.

 

Getting the foreboding feeling something incredibly heinous was about to take place. Linghu Chong watched his wife like a hawk.

 

“Are you okay? Why are you...”

 

Without warning, Dongfang Bubai's energy exploded in a brilliant hue of lite purple. In the blink of an eye, movement so fast no one saw her move except for her husband and Feng Qingyang. Dongfang Bubai launched herself, with her right hand in the shape of a claw, at the old merchant.

 

Linghu Chong had moved with equal speed and quickly put his wife in a bear hug. He had to use his energy to reenforce his muscles and grip, which served to stop her from moving; though as you can guess the task was no easy feat.

 

“Stop it! Why must he die!” Linghu Chong asked completely confused as to why she wanted to kill an old man.

 

“Let me go!! Let go!! Let go!! Let me kill him!!” she screamed as if possessed.

 

Dongfang Bubai wanted to fire off a needle and end old Bo's life. But the way her husband was holding her made it hard to access the hidden weapon.

To Linghu Chong's credit, it was no accident he held her in such a way which made using the needles difficult.

 

Linghu Chong had never seen his love this enraged before. Her killing intent was coming off her in waves. Her eyes were that of a wild animal. It appeared that she had lost all reason.

 

“But why must he die?! We didn't come here to harm anyone! Please calm down and tell me what happened!” Linghu Chong pleaded hoping to get through to her.

 

“There is nothing to discuss!! I will be calm when I separate his head from his body!!” she screamed trying to break loose from her husbands grip.

 

Old Bo, even though he wasn't hit with Dongfang Bubai's attack. Was still blown back a few feet by the aftershock of Linghu Chong colliding with his wife and now sat on the floor trying to figure out the situation. He was confused like everyone else as to why the woman in front of him wanted him dead. He had never met her, or so he thought, until he got a good look at his would be murderer.

 

Qiang... Qiang'er... Your Qiang'er!” the old man suddenly said frantically.

 

“Qiang'er?!” a woman in her forties, wearing a beautiful purple and red robe made out of silk, suddenly said as she came running into the meeting hall.

 

“Mother!” Xiong said with concern written all over his face.

 

Dongfang Bubai suddenly started laughing hysterically, causing some to think she might have gone insane.

 

“Wonderful...This is so wonderful...I'm so glad you are here Méh-fùnh. I can kill you both today!!” she screamed.

 

Linghu Chong was shocked that anyone besides him and Yi Lin knew of his wife’s real name. But yet, the two people standing around twenty feet away not only knew it, but also seemed to be related to his wife in some way.

 

'H-how.?..Oh no don't tell me h...he...he is her father?!' Linghu Chong thought in a panic as the older couple's identities dawned on him.

 

Linghu Chong heart sunk, knowing that if he didn't restrain his wife she would turn the scene into a blood bath. He immediately recalled a brief conversation the two had a couple of months back while he was still recovering, about family came up innocently. In it he brought up the issue with her father and adopted mother abandoning her and Yi Lin and what would happen if she ever saw them again. Her look at the time turned ice cold and she immediately changed the topic.

 

“You're my Qiang'er!” old Bo said breaking out in tears.

 

“Qiang'er...” Méh-fùnh said solemnly, as tears formed in her eyes.

 

Méh-fùnh also knelt down next to her husband, both gazing at Dongfang Bubai with a mixture of emotions. Pain, joy, shame, fear, all were shown on the older couples faces.

 

 

-xXx-

 

A/N: Hmm this could end very, very bad or it could be a nice family reunion. Stay tuned. :)