The Black Guard

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Raindrops fell violently from the sky, making the view from the second floor window of the inn even bleaker. Luhan sat silently on the windowsill, knees pulled up to his chest, white robes wrapped snuggly around his legs. He had tried in vain to fall asleep on the rickety old bed in the center of the room, hoping to pass the time. But a crippling anxiety had gotten the best of him, forcing him to give up the effort after a few minutes of tossing and turning. What’s taking him so long? Nagging questions continued to haunt his thoughts, followed closely by equally stubborn answers. He had repeatedly enumerated all of the worst case scenarios. The Black Spy can never be captured, he kept telling himself, hoping to quell the doubt that was forming at the back of his mind. But time was moving far too slowly to provide any comfort, with every passing second feeling longer than the last.

Movement from below suddenly caught the Prince’s eye, snatching him away from his dangerous ruminations. Numerous men on horseback, dressed in black hoods, were making their way down the otherwise deserted street. Luhan immediately jumped off of the windowsill and crouched down on the floor, hiding himself from view. Several tense moments passed before he found the courage to take another peek through the corner of the rain-streaked glass.

The riders had divided up into smaller groups and were spreading themselves out along the darkened street. Without warning, an arrow flew up into the sky and burst into a puff of black smoke. Luhan recognized the smoke at once as the same substance Kai had used during their escape from the White Castle. Immediately after the signal, many of the hooded soldiers dismounted their horses in unison and began their coordinated invasion of the street’s buildings.

Luhan leapt to his feet at once and ran into the adjacent bathroom, just as Kai had instructed him to do. He quickly pulled the thin rope hanging from the ceiling and scrambled up the rungs of a hidden ladder that led to the attic. Soon after he had pulled the ladder back up to its hiding spot, there was a loud banging from the door.

“OPEN UP!”

Luhan held his breath as he strained to listen to the voices below.

He could hear the owner of the inn arguing with another man as they burst through the doorway. “This room is currently vacant! How many times do I have to tell you?”

“Oh really?” replied a deep voice that Luhan did not recognize. “Then why is the bed not made? Clearly there was a guest here not too long ago.”

“That guest left earlier today, and my housekeeper was delayed due to the weather.”

“And who was that guest?” asked the soldier in black.

“He did not give his name.”

“Do not lie to us, or you will face the wrath of the Black King. Aiding this fugitive will be considered an act of treason and punishable by death!”

“What fugitive?! He was just another guest!”

“You will tell me everything you know about him, or die by my sword. Right here, right now!”

Luhan held his breath as he listened to what sounded like a scuffle, followed by moans of pain.

“Now,” continued the soldier. “Tell me the truth, or I will cut your throat.”

“It was one of your own men, god damn it!” exclaimed the owner of the inn, as he struggled to regain his composure. “The Black Spy! He came here earlier today and requested his usual room, just like he always does. I never ask him any questions because I know he cannot give me any answers! I honor the privacy of all of my guests!”

There was a slight pause before the Black Soldier spoke again. “Did he bring anyone with him?”

“No. He was alone.”

“Oh really? And how can I be sure you’re not just lying again?”

“Please!” begged the innkeeper. “I’ve told you everything I know! What more can I do?”

“You will not mention this encounter to anyone. And if the Black Spy returns, you will send a message immediately to the Black Castle. Have I made myself absolutely clear?”

There was no audible response. Luhan continued to hold his breath as he heard heavy footsteps make their way directly below his hiding spot. There was a moment of silence, and then the footsteps began to fade away.

“Damn soldiers,” came the innkeeper’s muffled voice. “You’re lucky I’m such a good liar!” he announced to the empty room, directing the message upward towards the attic. “I swear to god, the Black Spy owes me big time for risking my life to protect you.” With that, he shuffled out of the room and slammed the door shut.

Luhan let out a sigh of relief, before climbing back down the hidden ladder. He quickly made his way back to the window, just in time to see the remaining horsemen riding away down the street. Wiping away the beads of sweat that had erupted along his brow, he crouched down beside the wall and continued to stare out of the window at the pouring rain. His racing heart had only just begun to slow back down to its resting rate, when he saw another horse galloping towards the inn. He recognized the jet black creature at once, as well as its two passengers.

Luhan wrenched open the door at the very first knock. “What took you so long?!”

Kai stood at the threshold, struggling under the weight of Chen’s lifeless body. The two of them were soaking wet.

Luhan immediately stepped out of the way, eyes widening in shock. “What happened to him?!”

“I guess that sleeping potion was more powerful than I anticipated,” winced Kai as he stumbled through the doorway.

“He’s covered in blood, Jongin-ah!”

Kai tried to find a smile. “Don’t worry. It’s not his own.” He placed Chen gently on the bed before stepping back to reveal deep cuts along the front of his own black robes.

“Jongin-ah!” cried Luhan, eyes filling up as he ran forward. “What happened to you?!”

Kai held out a hand in protest, keeping Luhan at a safe distance. “Careful. Wouldn’t want to get your robes all bloody. It might draw attention when you leave.”

“What do you mean ‘leave’?” asked Luhan, panic rising into his throat.  

“I’ve lost a lot of blood. I’m not sure I can come with you. Not this time.” Kai crumpled to his knees as he clutched onto his own bleeding torso.

Luhan rushed to his side and caught him before he fell any further. “You’re supposed to be protecting me,” he replied, the pain evident in his voice. “I forbid you from dying!”

Kai let out a weak sort of laugh, but it only made the pain worse. “You never were any good at giving commands. But I really tried Luhan, to do everything that you asked of me. Chen’s safe now. When he wakes up, I know he’ll protect you for the rest of the way.”

“And what about you?!” exclaimed the Prince, tears threatening to fall from the edges of his eyelashes.

“What about me? I’m just the treacherous Black Spy. Enemy of the White Kingdom. I betrayed your parents. Then I betrayed you. At least that’s what everyone wants you to think, right? Maybe you should just believe them. It might make it easier…”

“Make what easier?!” interjected Luhan. “I don’t care what everyone wants me to think! I only want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter