The Black Spy

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan stood paralyzed with fear as he stared at the dark figure dressed in black. Haunting images of his parent’s blood-stained bedroom flew across his mind as he contemplated his own death. I shouldn’t have told Sehun to leave.

Kai stepped closer, sword in hand. “You have to listen to me.”

Luhan’s eyes wandered down the blade, towards its glittering black hilt. Even through the intruder’s gloved hand, he could make out the dragon-shaped emblem of the Black Kingdom.

The Spy followed the Prince’s gaze, detecting the terror in his eyes. He knew the feeling far too well.

“How did you get in here?” asked Luhan with as much authority as he could muster. "The North Tower has never been breached."

“I’m afraid we don’t have time for questions,” replied Kai ominously.

The Prince backed away towards the open window, eyes still fixed on the heavy sword. “What do you want?”

“You.”

Luhan could not read the ambiguous expression on Kai’s face. “I’d rather die than offer myself over to the Black Kingdom.”

Kai held out his free hand. “I'm trying to save you. You must trust me.” There was a pleading in his voice that Luhan could not understand.

“Why should I trust you?” asked Luhan, trying to prolong the conversation as he carefully brought a hand behind his own back. “You’re the reason my parents are dead!”

Kai’s vision was far too sharp to miss the slight movement. “Don’t!” he exclaimed urgently. “You have to come with me!”

Luhan did not respond as panic rose into his throat. He knew the only way to secure the traitor’s capture would be to signal for help. Doing so would be suicide, but it was the only way. I’m going to die either way, he silently thought to himself.

Behind Luhan’s back was a sturdy rope tied to a hook. The rope travelled up the wall and along the ceiling through a series of pulleys, creating an apparatus that held up both the hanging staircase and the warning bell. The bell was the signal for help and the staircase was the only known escape route from the North Tower. 

“How did you get in here?” repeated Luhan, as he wound his fingers around the rope.

“Don’t do this,” begged Kai as he stepped within striking distance. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

Luhan found courage he didn't know he had as he stared into the Black Spy’s face and pulled the rope. “Kill me if you must,” he replied above the clangs of the bell, “but I refuse to give in to your threats. Not after what you did to my parents.”

Tears filled Kai’s eyes as he dropped his sword at the Prince’s feet and fell to his knees. “I didn’t betray your parents, Luhan. And I would never hurt you. You have to believe me!”

Before the Prince could respond, distraught voices erupted from below as guards began to scramble up the staircase. The Prince reached down and picked up the sword, hands shaking as he held it over Kai’s bowed head.

The Black Spy looked up tearfully into Luhan’s eyes. “Please! You have to believe me!”

Luhan raised the sword high, preparing to strike. As Kai bowed his head once more, the Prince swung with all his might.

The swish of the blade was followed by a whip-like snap.

Kai looked up in time to see the torn rope flying across the ceiling. Deafening crashes filled the room as the hanging staircase collapsed into a heap at the base of the tower, taking the guards down with it.

Luhan brought the sword down to his side and stared into Kai’s glistening eyes. “Tell me the truth!” he yelled with a fiery determination.

Before the Prince could react, Kai leapt to his feet and threw his arms around Luhan’s neck. “I will, I promise!” he cried. “But we have to get out of here first.”

The Prince was taken aback by the embrace, not used to such informality after so many years of isolation. “How?” he asked as he gently patted Kai on the back. “I just destroyed the only exit.”

Kai pulled himself up off of Luhan’s shoulder. “I can get us out of here, the same way that I came in. You have to come with me! You’re in danger here!”

“What about the soldiers? The entire castle must be alerted by now! How're we gonna get past all of them?”

“Trust me,” repeated Kai. “I can do it. I am the Black Spy after all.” The name had made him infamous for his unique ability to avoid capture.

---

Sehun pushed and shoved his way through the crowd of soldiers that had gathered at the base of the North Tower. He froze when he saw the wreckage. Two heavily armed guards were buried beneath a mess of wood and rope. On one side was a large cracked bell. Several of the surrounding men were helping to clear the rubble.

“WHERE IS THE PRINCE?” yelled the messenger, too distraught to check whether senior officers were present.

“Calm down!” replied a lieutenant. “The North Tower is impenetrable. The prince obviously felt threatened and cut the rope. You must return to your post. The Black Spy’s capture is our top priority!”

“General Suho assigned me to protect the Prince at all costs,” replied Sehun with a mutinous look on his face. “I’m not going anywhere until his safety is confirmed.”

The Lieutenant gave the messenger an angry scowl before turning back to his own men. “There is more than enough help here,” he announced. “Back to your posts!”

The majority of the soldiers disbanded at once.

Sehun walked over nervously to a familiar medical officer, who was already tending to the injuries of one of the guards. “Yixing,” he said softly, “what happened?”

“I don’t know, Sehun. I only just arrived. We have not received any message from the Prince.”

Sehun looked up at the now hollow trunk of the tower. There was nothing to see.

“PRINCE LUHAN!” he yelled as loudly as he could, desperation evident in his voice. The sound echoed repeatedly between the stone walls, but there was no reply.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter