The Red Day

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What about the crowns?” asked Chanyeol, while recklessly rummaging through the General’s clutter of belongings. “Should we recover them from the throne room?”

“There isn’t time!” replied Suho. “The enemy is at our doorstep!”

Chanyeol grabbed yet another handful of white fabric and threw it at the General. “We don’t even know which enemy we’re facing!”

Suho immediately donned the robes, making sure to hide the various military badges on his uniform. “Does it even matter at this point? The King’s safety is our top priority!”

The Admiral desperately looked around Suho’s quarters as the sound of battle horns intensified. “What about food and water? How far can we possibly get without sustenance?”

“We’ll have to make do with what we have. Besides, the cold weather will probably kill us faster than starvation.”

Without warning, there was a loud knock on the door. Suho and Chanyeol became silent at once.

“General!” yelled Jeno, one of Suho’s private guards. “There is an urgent message from the West Dock!”

Despite his better judgment, Chanyeol walked across the room and wrenched open the door.

“Sir!” exclaimed the guard in shock, not expecting to see the Admiral. Recovering quickly, he saluted at once. “I have a message for the General.”

“I’m listening,” replied Suho, stepping into view from behind Chanyeol.

Jeno saluted once more before getting to the point. “There are reports of an invasion, from the Blue River.”

“The Port City fleet?!” exclaimed Chanyeol.

Jeno looked genuinely taken aback by that suggestion. “No, sir. Not our own Navy! It seems to be a foreign enemy.”

“You mean Black Ships?” interrupted Suho.

Jeno shook his head. “Blue.”

Suho and Chanyeol turned to look at each other, both equally as confused.

The silence was broken when the Admiral spoke once more. “Do you mean those pirate fisherman from the Blue Sea?”

Jeno again shook his head. “There was no mention of pirates, sir. The message I received described enormous ships, with blue sails.”

“And where are our own ships?” asked Chanyeol.

“I’m not sure, sir. But the situation sounded dire, with massive casualties on our side.”

Suho stepped in front of the Admiral and placed a hand on Jeno’s shoulder. “Listen son, I need you to go home and take your family into hiding.”

Jeno’s eyes widened into circles. “But sir! Our City will soon be invaded! Should we not defend it?”

The words hit Suho squarely in the chest. He unexpectedly threw his arms around Jeno’s neck, taking the young guard completely by surprise. “Do what you think is right. But just be safe.”

“I will do whatever my General commands,” replied Jeno, as he pulled himself up out of the embrace and saluted once more. “Awaiting your orders, sir.”

Suho turned desperately towards Chanyeol, who looked completely torn. After a prolonged silence, the General found his voice once more. “Warn everyone in the castle that the City has been breached. Help them find shelter, then seek shelter yourself.”

Jeno bowed to each of the commanding officers and without another word, marched away bravely.

As soon as he was gone, Suho slammed his fist angrily into the adjacent wall. “This is wrong! I can’t just abandon my men like this!”

Chanyeol came up behind him and patted his back. “That’s what I was trying to tell you, Suho! These are not just nameless soldiers and sailors! They are our friends! Think of Baekhyun and Chen! They’re still out there, on the frontlines. Soon enough the war will come to them! I’d rather die fighting than live with the guilt of abandoning them!”

“So what exactly do you suggest?” replied Suho, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. “That we abandon the King instead?”

“He will have Jongin and Sehun by his side. Does he really need us too?”

Suho closed his eyes in concentration as all of the daunting scenarios ran through his head. “You’re right,” he replied eventually, ripping off his robes and revealing the military uniform hidden beneath.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter