Chapter 6

BOWS & BEAUTY
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

The last time she got lectured by her mom was because she didn’t throw away the many empty Pringles can which she made it like a domino game on the floor. And that was just not more than 2 minutes lecture plus a small threaten to ban her from eating Pringles for 1 week—which didn’t happen. And now, this beauty is preaching her on all sorts of things and all Seulgi notice is how cute the way she talks. The way her brows furrowed in an irritably adorable way The way her brown orbs doesn’t seem cold but a different emotion flicks before it The way her nose twitch in annoyance The way she’s—

 

“Seulgi,” Irene snapped her fingers, “Yah—Kang Seulgi !” “Huh?” Seulgi snaps to reality and seeing Irene folding her arms, looking displeased, “what?” “Did you listen to what I just said to you?” “Umm…” “What do you think you were doing yesterday?” Irene’s voice sounded dangerously low, “Running to the forest, chasing the boar—and it’s not just any wild boar—it’s the Erymanthian boar from the gods-damn underworld!” “I was jus—“ “Just what? Trying to be heroic?” Irene pushed on as her nostrils flare, “Trying to show to that Ares dude that you’re something?” “What? No—I – it’s nothing like that,” Seulgi denied, quite dazed at the reasoning, “it’s just that—I saw the other Apollo kids with bows on their hands, running to the forest. It was tempting. It was like a call, so I just—went after them ?”   Irene didn’t say anything and still eyed her suspiciously. Her jade brown eyes observe her—probably thinking if Seulgi made a false statement or anything, because Seulgi doesn’t know why but she felt like Irene has the ability to detect a person who is lying. Adding on with her charmspeak power, that’s some frightening abilities thinking back. “…Anyways, isn’t it good, since I went to the forest, my father claimed me,” Seulgi tried to give a positive remark, hoping the blazing beauty would tone down her stony glare for a bit.  

Irene rolls her eyes before heaving a sigh, her folded arms come undone and she sat on the bed, making Seulgi’s heart beat crazily once more as they were at a quite close distance within each other. Irene then lifts her right arm, highlighting the bracelet with three beads on her wrist. Odd.

“This bracelet is given by Mr K after I did my first mission. I’ve went to 3 missions so far that’s why there’s only 3 of these,” Irene explains, “And this missions aren’t just some small pesky things like picking up a demigod. We face things much more worse than the boar you faced yesterday. Without a firm plan, techniques or good combat skill—you’re a deadman.”

Seulgi listen attentively, trying to link on what Irene is trying to express. Irene’s facial expression was somewhat unreadable as she paused and stares at the bed sheets for a moment before asking, “Do you get the point?”

Seulgi bit her lip and nodded. Irene had a point. Maybe luck was on her side yesterday because truthfully, Seulgi wasn’t on the list of a lucky person. She’s pretty much clumsy all the time. It must’ve been the help of her dad—Apollo. If it weren’t for the golden bow, Seulgi might either be dead getting rammed by the boar or she might just fall from the branch and still—get rammed by the boar—dead too. But then, Irene’s sudden concern made her pose an innocent question, “Are you worried about me?”

Not sure if it was Seulgi’s imagination, but she saw a tint of pink surge up on Irene’s rosy cheeks. The beauty rose up from the bed, scoffing and rolling her eyes, yet not denying, she simply said, “Get yourself ready and meet me at the Assembly Canopy in 1 hour. I’m seriously gonna break your leg if you’re late.”

And with that, Irene easily walks away, leaving the room with Seulgi still trying to process on what the beauty had just said.

 

Seohyun came to the infirmary alongside a slender figure who radiates such attractiveness and beauty, while Seulgi was combing her hair. Turns out it was Seohyun’s duty every Thursday to come and check the infirmary and do some cleaning and checking. The girl beside her who brightly introduced herself as Yoona, shook Seulgi’s hands and praised her courage for dealing with the boar. Seulgi can’t help but to blush over the praise. Something inside is telling her that this Yoona girl is an—

“Are you going for your schedule after this?” Yoona asked, as she arrange the pillows on the bed while Seohyun folds the blanket.

“Yeah,” Seulgi straightened her yellow set-in collar shirt, as she tucked it in her white shorts, “Irene told me to go to the Assembly Canopy.”

“Oh…,” Yoona seems to space out before she suddenly burst, “Ahhhh! Kang Seulgi! You’re Kang Seulgi—that bear, right?”

 

Seulgi was a little lost for words as she can’t quite comprehend what in the world is this model looking girl talking about. Yoona claps her hand one time and points a finger at Seulgi while nodding expressively, while Seulgi looks back to forth from Seohyun and Yoona—still not quite catching up with the situation.

“You say you’re going to the tavern right,” A slight mischief expression showed upon Yoona’s face as she approach Seulgi. “You have a very nice hair colour. You didn’t dye it didn’t you?”

“Uhh…no”

“I think I’m seeing where this is going,” Seohyun finally spoke as she giggled while exchanging knowing glances with Yoona.

“Wh-What?” Seulgi stammers as Yoona raise both of her hands and place it on top of Seulgi’s head. What in the world is going on?

 

The canopy is basically behind Mr K’s building. She almost got lost and wanders off to the Archery Field and watched the other demigods practicing. Her hands ache to hold a bow and release an arrow, although yesterday’s event has made her did so—but still.

A heavily perfume scent walked passed her while giggling with an Athena boy made her realize that she needs to be at the canopy—fast. With Seulgi stammering profusely asking for directions from the couple, she finally made her way.

The canopy tent was all white in colour with its entrance half-open, Seulgi peeked her head in uncertain, to see that nobody was in there. She was 100% sure this was the Assembly Canopy so she set her foot in, looking around.

There were many boards and a huge map of South Korea sticks in with multi-colour magnet pins placed in different locations. Some labelled as sightings, demigods, under-observe and many more. There were also several unknown faces plastered on other white boards. The pictures being taken were so paparazzi like and at the end of the board surprised Seulgi as she saw— herself.

A picture of her jogging in sweatpants and hair tied up in a bun

A picture of her munching Pringles at the park near her house

A picture of her practicing archery alone at school

A picture of her coming out from the Son’s bakery shop

And a side profile of Seulgi in her school uniform munching a bun while waiting for the traffic light

That looks recent—she thought

 

“Oh, you’re here,” a whiny voice heard from the back and Seulgi spun around to see the girl, Krystal, followed by Irene. “Sorry, we haven’t been able to put your pictures down yet,” Krystal somehow sounded different than her usual whiny tone, “But you and Pringles really do have some weird relationship huh?”

Seulgi nod while she awkwardly scratch her nape and stared at the two as they approached. Irene looks a little taken aback somehow when her eyes met with Seulgi. It must’ve been the—

 

“Who did that to your hair?” Irene questions as she eyes the two twintail braids tied at Seulgi’s blonde hair. Irene’s eye furrows in curiosity as she move closer to her. She somewhat sniffs the air around Seulgi and a disgruntled look fell upon her face, “Did a clan of mines did this hairstyle to you?”

“Umm, yeah…” Seulgi hesitates for a moment before saying, “Yoona unnie did this. She’d thought I’d look nicer with this—for a change, you know…” Seulgi trails off as she grabbed her intertwining braids and gave it a jiggle.

Irene’s slight discontent look switch to the same cold gaze as Seulgi had done explaining. Irene then proceed and pull down Seulgi’s picture from the board and crumpled it before throwing it to an empty box—wow, talk about sudden aggressive.

 

“Umm,” Seulgi cleared as they stood in silence, except of the sound of a paper being crumpled, “Why am I supposed to be here?”

“Oh yeah,” Krystal woke up from her short daze, and she scans the long wooden table, and finally found a blue file, “since you’re not an unknown anymore and since you’re major now, your schedule has changed. This.”

Krystal shoved a piece of A4-paper in front of Seulgi. A neatly arranged timetable for Seulgi list down in front of her.

 

                Name : Kang Seulgi

                Clan : Apollo (Daughter)

 

Every week days 9am till 10.30am, Seulgi would have Ancient Greek classes with Athena’s clan. And other activities were thoroughly exciting as she saw archery, javelin throwing, swords skills, monster assault techniques and unarmed combat being listed, but the thing that made her eyebrows scrunched is when she saw—picking strawberries, cleaning stables, polishing armors and wood chopping (?) being wrote down in the schedule. Are they serious?

“Uhh…picking strawberries?” Seulgi muttered out of the blue.

“What about picking strawberries?” Irene asked with one eyebrow raised, “Who do you expect to pick up all those strawberry crops from Mr K’s farm—if it isn’t us.”

Seulgi only nodded, deciding to not question more as Irene was somehow still not in her best mood with Seulgi after the hair questioning. She stares at the schedule again and was puzzled to see that there is only schedules on week days. Did Krystal forget to type what she’ll be doing on the weekend or—

“There’s no schedule on the weekend,” Irene answered her as if reading her mind, “You’re practically free to do whatever you want that day, but, for some Majors—training is necessary. Especially a newcomer like you.”

 

Ah, there goes her sleeping schedule. Her precious, precious hobby—sleeping. Even back at home, her mom wouldn’t touch her golden weekend. Seulgi would prefer to just sleep straight till noon because during weekdays, she is always busy with school work and club activities that wears her out physically and mentally. Therefore, some hibernation during weekends is much needed at times—most of the time.

“According to your schedule now, you’re supposed to be in ancient greek class with the brainiacs,” Krystal return to her usual bored i-don’t-know-what-im-doing-here tone, “but you only got 15 minutes to spare though. Better off to the farm in my opinion don’t you think so.”

Krystal nodded to Irene who has her arm folded in front with her eyes slightly unfocused o

Please log in to read the full chapter