Chapter 16

BOWS & BEAUTY
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 16

 

“Please, please let them go.” Irene begs as she squirms inside the invisible force. She could not bear seeing both Seulgi and Joy writhing and fidgeting while beads of sweat trickle down in their sleep. Irene knew Morpheus is giving visions of nightmares towards the two, and she herself had witnessed before back in the days when one of the campers had gone crazy after being torment with those dreams given by Morpheus.

Irene continues to plead, “We only wanted to close the entrance of the Underworld. We just need your help to wake Thanatos and shut the entrance.” Hypnos remains quiet but he soon walks back and forth, his eyes search deep into the nothingness ahead and alas he spoke, “If Thanatos awakes, he still could not close the entrance entirely.”

“What do you mean?” Irene asks in bewilderment, as she knew it is only Thanatos and Hades himself, who is able to control the entrance with their powers, “It has only been Thanatos all along guarding the door, why can’t he close it?” Hypnos strides sluggishly towards his sleeping brother, and points, “Look. Don’t you think there’s something missing from him?”

Irene strains her eyes, trying to budge off the sleepy syndrome threatening her, and she watchfully scans Thanatos who had his wings shielding him. What is it that is missing from the God, Irene could not figure out. Thanatos is always famous for his big wings, his torch, and Irene knew there was something else, but her mind could not process and think of something at the moment. “I’m not su—“

“—his sword,” Wendy feebly spoke from behind. She was almost slurring in her words when she explains, “Thanatos…wings…torch…s-sword girt. For all whose…whose—“

“For all whose hair is cut in consecration by this blade's edge are devoted to the gods below.” Thanatos finishes off Wendy’s time consuming sentence. “Yes, as this girl solved, my brother, Thanatos, has a sword by his side. And as you can see, the sword is missing.” Irene did not utter a word, signalling Hypnos to continue, “Without his sword, his powers would not be as strong as before and the Doors of Death can be easily cracked and open. So in a conclusion, that if, I wake up my brother, it will be as pointless as before, unless…”

“Unless I retrieve back his sword?” Irene implies, “If I get back the sword from whomever who took it, Thanatos will be able to seal the door tight, won’t it?” Hypnos nods, “Then let’s make a deal. You must wake my friends and Thanatos, and we’ll search for the sword and Thanatos guards the Door in the meantime.” Hypnos then notifies, “But the sword is in the hands of the demigod who threatens me. My trust for demigods had not been far great lately.”

“I swear upon Athena’s name, that I will get your sword and bring it back to Thanatos.” Irene firmly declares, and a few seconds later, the invisible force that binds them were gone and they fell to the ground with a thud. Irene heave herself up, looking behind to see Wendy and Yeri waking up from their daze as they shook their head vigorously to shake off the sleepiness they felt earlier. Another groan from ahead and Irene eyes immediately pounce on Seulgi and Joy who sprawls on the ground, looking completely drained.

Irene’s legs quickly had a thought on its own as it dashes towards the girl, “Seulgi!” Irene embraces Seulgi, who looks rather pale and her eyes were slacking off time to time, “Seulgi, I’m here.” The girl in her hold manage to muffle her name before looking up to her, a stupid grin form on her face and Irene felt like kissing the girl right there and then but she controls herself.

“Take your friends and go now.” Hypnos instructs, as he swift his hands and a cloud of darkness floats to the ground, vanishing, and revealing Seulgi and Joy’s backpack. “Thanatos will be in deep rage when he wakes up so go! And do not forget your promise, child.” Irene reassures, “I won’t!” And she gestures the other two who were helping Joy to stand up, to get out from this place. Irene was about to carry Seulgi up before she refuses, “It’s okay. I can stand. Let’s get out of here.” And the five of them quickly fled.

 

 

It was quite a challenge for them to descend down back to the starting point but somehow they managed with much help from the winged shoes, Gods blessed Hermes children’s for the invention, and now all of them slumped back in the car. Irene had her head on the steering wheel, Seulgi and the others were breathing loudly and Yeri was first to affirmed, “I don’t think I might be coming around here anytime soon.” Joy agreed and high-5 her while Wendy inquires, “So, what’s our next plan? We must find the sword, right? Which means, we need to find this damned demigod. But we don’t have a clue who that demi—“

“Hold up!” Joy intercepts, as she lifts her hand, “Before we head with our plans and all, let’s find a place to eat. Because right now, I think I could eat that boulder we step on earlier.” Irene lifts her head from the steering wheel and look at the passenger beside her who also turns to look at her. She knew her yearning and desire had get the best of her now, so Irene turns behind to look at the other three and demands, “Look at me.” Wendy, Joy and Yeri’s eyes immediately gaze straight upon her, “Sleep.” With just one word, all the three of them shuts their eyes and slept soundlessly.

“W-What…Why did you that?” Seulgi questions as she is confused with Irene’s sudden act on the use of charm speak towards the three. “For our short escapade.” Irene quickly replies, before lunging forward, kissing her senseless.

 

 

“Now this, this is what I call good food.” Joy tries to speak with full as she reaches out her chopsticks to place another slice of meat on the lettuce. Yeri had called the aunt who works at the eatery and ordered another glass of water, while Wendy cooks the meat, flipping them on one side while watching the unusually quiet pair. Wendy eyes the both of them who were sitting side by side, munching on the ssamgyeopsal while spotting two bruise-like lips. “Hormones,” Wendy quietly mutters under her breath, before bringing back the question once more, “Again, do any of you have any idea who the demigod might be?”

“Is it one of ours?” Joy asks after gulping down a glass of water, “Is it a he or a she? Is it a minor or a major demigod?” Irene glares at the girl, “Hypnos didn’t give us much details except that it’s a he and the dude has eyes like his father which means he’s a son of one of the Gods.”

“But there’s a lot of Gods,” Seulgi scratches her head. Irene sighs and leans on the chair behind, “Which is why we’re still figuring it out who?” Yeri  then chirps in, “Is it someone from the camp? All demigods go to our place right?” Irene nodded.

It’s true. Most of the demigods in Korea will go to their camp which is why there are trackers being chosen, like Irene and Yuri was. They were appointed from Mr K to track and snuck Seulgi in. Basically trackers are all over Korea and at the same time they – the trackers – don’t just simply take in the demigods and bring them back to camp. Sometimes they had to fight with the monsters and creatures lurking around, making sure they make no ruckus in the mortal world.

“Why don’t we check what’s happening at the camp?” Yeri suggested as she sit upright, “Let’s do an Iris Message to Mr K.” All of them agreed, since there is not much option in the leads, so after they’ve eaten, the group went out to the parking lot which was pretty much deserted. “Drachma coins anyone?” Wendy put her hands together, asking to each of them. Joy apologizes, while showing off her aegyo, “Sorry but the drachma coins I have now is sufficient enough for me to buy something I’ve been saving on so…”

“It’s okay, I have some,” Seulgi rummages through her pocket, clawing inside, feeling the cold, round shape of the golden drachma. “Here…” Wendy almost took the coin but her hand stops mid-air, “All of you have done Iris Message before, right?” All of them murmured and nodded, except Seulgi, who raises her hand reluctantly, “Err… I haven’t.” All of them look at her, with a gasp of surprise, Joy questions, “During a month you’re at the camp, you haven’t made a single Iris Message to anyone? Even to your mom?” Seulgi shook her head and look downwards.

Seulgi had heard and understand about the works of Iris Message for quite some time ever since Byul and Solar taught her. Seulgi also knew Iris Message can be used once a day within a time limit in the camp. She really had it in mind, on using the Iris Message to talk with her mom or so, but she became super busy with lessons and the extra intense activities she had been hurled to, so Seulgi tends to forget about it out of tiredness. And now, she felt a lump of guilt piling up somewhere inside.

“Hey, don’t worry.” Wendy pats her shoulder, “You still got all the time you need to IM your m

Please log in to read the full chapter