Am I Free...Or Done For?

When an Idol Dies...

Kyuhyun’s POV

Ring...

Ring...

Ring...

Come on Seohyun, you know you always, always answer me, sooner or later...it’s been a month already! 

But, as always, going against my hopes, the phone soon said, “Seo Joo-hyun is currently unavailable...”

And she never will be, anymore, I painfully thought, shutting my phone shut and throwing it against my bedroom wall. Tears threatened to leak out of my eyes after I tried so hard to hide them, but I let them stream down my face, not caring whether my older hyungs would notice or not.

But to think...to think that she actually might’ve been missing this whole time...I couldn’t bear to imagine.

But suddenly...I really couldn’t take it anymore. Just what am I doing here, crying my eyes out when I’m safe and sound here in my dorm rather than [maybe] rotting away somewhere cold and unknown like...like Seohyun?

No way...if I’m her secret boyfriend then I might as well be until the very end.

Now fueled by the thoughts – both sweet and bittersweet – of my Seohyun, I leapt off my comfy, warm bed without a second thought, grabbed a random leather jacket from my closet, and left before anybody could ever stop me.

It’s been a torturous month without you and I really can’t handle it anymore...

Before I knew it, I was already out the huge building of SME and was storming towards my manager’s car, which fortunately happened to still be there. But then...I realized, with a pang, that I only got my permit, but not my license.

A celebrity caught driving with only their permit at 2:30 at night?

Not the best thing...but if it’s necessary, then what the hell?

Pushing all other distractions aside, I got into the spacey car, revved up the engine [with the keys stolen from my manager beside his bed; I really had no choice!], and drove towards the location that Sooyoung most likely guessed Seohyun was at last when she was at her WGM premiere.

Harshly turning on the GPS and putting on the location, I gripped the hard, leather wheel harder in panic as every minute passed by, killing myself mentally each second for waiting so long to try to find her when really, maybe, just maybe, I could’ve found her already.

And maybe...we wouldn’t have had to gone through all the hardships that happens when an idol actually dies. It hasn’t been easy making excuse after excuse making up for Seohyun’s absence on variety shows, always coordinating dances and lyrics of Seohyun’s so that it would fit for the other eight members, and even for everyone else in SME, because such a thing just never happened.

Did I believe that she actually died?

Yeah...but I hoped with all my being that it wasn’t true.

 

Jiyeon’s POV

, he’s actually searching for her!

After all this time, when I thought that she was rid of forever, and I could’ve gotten rid of him today, too...

My eyes widened in horror as I flattened myself behind a random dumpster a bit too close to Kyuhyun’s manager’s car, in which he had the guts to drive despite the consequences. Luckily the headlights of his car avoided me, but I still decided to stay hidden just in case.

After waiting in the same reeking spot for about ten minutes, though, a smirk grew across my face as I realized that Kyuhyun changed; he was never one to step out of his zone dangerously to help someone. He always helped people the right way, the correct way, because once before all of this chaos happened, he had a clean, innocent heart.

So what happened, Kyuhyun?

Did finally achieving your dreams and becoming an entertainer corrupt you?

Or was it just that girl?

That unnie that brought me in herself but never loved me back?

Shaking my head at all the this world held in store for us, I took out my own keys and jumped into my own brand new car that Yonghwa – I mean, sunbaenim [why am I starting to call him by his own name all the time!? I never cared about him anyways] – bought me after he grabbed the number 1 spot with his brand new single, ‘Intuition.’

Thank gawd at least there’s one good idol in this world…even if he is one wimpy fiancé.

Revving up the car, I soon pulled out of the parking lot, quickly enough so that, at a close enough distance, I still saw Kyu oppa’s car, standing impatiently within the traffic that decided to help me that one special night.

Thank you, Lucifer!

Leaning back comfortably in my fresh black leather seat, I popped some tobacco in my mouth and waited, waited, until about half an hour later, when the moon was a hand’s width higher into the sky, I saw Kyuhyun oppa’s car zoom away through the loosened traffic, towards the exact woods where her body was slowly rotting away. Despite all the darkness, the freezing cold, and the terror of the entire ordeal, Kyuhyun seemed so determined and strong he even surprised me.

Sneering, I stepped hard on the pedal and chased after him, occasionally checking if any policemen were coming after me for speeding so late at night.

Nobody did.

I felt that, in a way, these days were made for me - made for me so that I can finally find some amends for my horrid past and finally be able to smile from a pure happiness that doesn’t only come from people who’ll eventually betray you.

This time, I’ll make my own happiness, while the others will pay the price for me...

How...sweet...

Silently driving, I soon noticed that we – Kyu and I – again were about to cross each others’ paths once we finally arrived to the memorial place...

Oh, how will you take it, oppa?

Please don’t cry...don’t shed tears for her when in fact, once you did for me.

Don’t be so two-sided and stupid...’cause it just might cost you.

 

Kyuhyun’s POV

I looked around the desolate, cold, lonesome place, disbelieving at how Sooyoung picked this place out as where my clean, innocent, and sweet Seohyun could’ve possibly been last. I mean, I know that cell phone GPS tracking crap can be accurate as it can possibly be, but...

But really? Here?

What possibly happened during the show that made her missing from here?

It seemed very unlikely that someone would visit there just for some ‘romance’...

Shaking my head, I resisted the urge to punch something and cautiously stepped out, using my small cell phone to light the way. I cringed every time I stepped on something wet or crunchy, when really it was just some leftover water from the rain or a fallen leaf. But even just walking there, safe and sound, made me think of very grotesque, deadly, horrifying things. Even at daytime, I think this place was made for that kind of stuff.

Shivering and scared, I walked around aimlessly until I thought I saw something briefly flashing, gleaming in the night. Rushing my way there, I found that my instincts were right – the brief but saving light was in fact from my ring for Seohyun, given seven years ago when we first started dating...

...and when Jiyeon first entered her household.

Wait, why am I thinking of her all of a sudden?

Think of Seohyun, you in’ idiot! At least try to make up for all the lack of attention and care you’ve been giving her...

With a heavy, tight sigh, I felt warm liquid stream down my face as a trembling hand briefly touched the white and red porcelain face that used to be SNSD’s Seohyun. Whether it was light or dark it wouldn’t have mattered how well I saw her; in my eyes, her dead, red, still body was as clean and clear like I was sitting at the front row at a horror movie, pitifully watching this girl who was alone when she died.

But, I would think, she’s in her own world and I’m in mine. And then I would walk out, soon going back to my comfortable, profitable life...

Never once thinking back to her.

And just like that, I completely broke down in the warm liquid that was erupting from my face.

Funny, when a month ago, Seohyun must’ve been experiencing the same thing herself.

Lamely, as if I didn’t have anything else to do for Seohyun left, I cried and cried...

Cried more than when Super Junior won for the very first time on M Countdown.

Cried more than when Hangeng hyung left Super Junior as a result of SME treating him too horribly.

Cried more than when Kangin hyung left to go to the army, leaving me behind...

And...I cried more than when Seohyun threatened to break up with me five years ago after I stopped her from making her biggest mistake and killing Jiyeon.

I always do the right things, but in the end I always end up receiving the down-side of everything...

Just how unfair is that?

“Crying, oppa?” someone whispered. My eyes widened at that voice…

That familiar girl’s voice.

No, it couldn’t be! What could she possibly doing here, right now, when –

When...

No, no way...J-Jiyeon couldn’t have possibly –

“Answer me, Cho Kyuhyun,” she said, firmly this time, despite how teary her voice still sounded. When I still didn’t answer, from both shock and fear, she harshly grabbed my shoulder and whipped me around, making me almost stumble upon Seohyun’s corpse. Once I looked up into the face of the voice, though, I found that I was right.

How funny, when I did the right thing to find Seohyun, again karma deceived me.

Because the look in Jiyeon’s eyes...was nothing short of deadly.

“I said...did you cry?” she hissed, her eyes shining with both tears and anger. Her shoulders were literally shaking, as if a rage like no other consumed her from head to toe, burning within her, possessing her.

“W-What if I did?” I lamely defended. My heart dropped to the floor, however, when even in the strong, ink-dark darkness...I saw her lift up an already bloody blade in front of me, aiming it right at my stomach.

My scared breath came out in even bigger, misty clouds in front of me as I stammered, backing away [while occasionally bumping into Seohyun’s cold, dead body], “J-Jiyeon, please don’t do this...please! What did I do wrong, Jiyeon-ah? Didn’t I protect you all my life from...from Seo – “

“DON’T YOU DARE SAY HER NAME IN FRONT OF ME!” Jiyeon screeched, her terrifying screech ringing through the thick trees. Her eyes flashed dangerously as she quietly continued, inching closer and closer to me all the while, “I’ve had enough of you, oppa. Five years I’ve waited for you to apologize and make amends after what you did..."

“What did I – “

“FIVE. IN’. YEARS I’ve waited for you to come back and save me from one of your girlfriend, but still you didn’t. All because of your selfish, stupid dream! Do you know how many times I’ve heard you groan while you were recording your latest K.R.Y song or whatever!? I was about to knock your door down and – “

“So you were the stalker!?” I exclaimed, shocked. All those times our managers, drivers, coordinators, and even our President stressed out about those constant freaky letters, pictures, and threats...all those times the hyungs tried to protect me but I resisted out of embarrassment and guilt...all those times I woke up in the middle of the night no matter how tired I was, sweating and shaking from the one mysterious sa-saeng fan who was now revealed to be her...

Unbelievable.

This time, Jiyeon showed a creepy sneer, so unlike the grateful smiles she used to shine in the past, and replied, “Yeah, I was. It sure did take you long enough. What, did you actually believe you were famous enough to have a real sa-saeng fan?”

Ouch.

“Yah,” I said, firmly now. “Stop kidding around, Park Jiyeon. Just stop this and – “

“What did you say to me?” she hissed, as she sneakily dug her knife into my stomach without even me noticing how close she was to me [how in the effing world did she do that!?]...

Instantly, all senses blocked out, all knowledge of my surroundings has dispersed as everything in my life centered around this one searing pain now burning in my stomach...I couldn't even find the strength to breathe or call out for help or even kick Jiyeon away; it's like with that one small scrap of metal, Jiyeon completely took over me.

Just how in the world did Seohyun go through this?

"J-J...Jiyeon, stop..." I weakly trailed off. But no way was she going to ever get off me; I could just feel all the hatred that she's built of me over the years, now burning in my body rather than hers.

"Say that again?" Jiyeon hissed, pushing the knife deeper and deeper into all sorts of places of my body. I didn't even know or remember where I was or what was happening anymore as she asked, oh so quietly, "What did you say earlier?"

How could I remember with you killing me this...this badly?

I could only feel the pool of blood slowly erupting from me [what a scary thought...!] as she forced me closer and closer to death, for reasons still unexplained...

As time passed, the pain got worse and worse, and soon I heard Jiyeon's voice fading away and away, soon into the farthest corner of my mind...now finding grains of comfort here and there to quickly snatch up and use, as...as...

My phone rang?

Sure enough, my phone was ringing, singing as it always did, as if there was nothing wrong in the world, “S-E-OUL~”

And thank gawd for that, because even if it was just for one second...Jiyeon froze and I was allowed to breathe, even if blood seemed to be swimming in my lungs by now.

Through the stinging blood and warm tears blurring up my eyes, I oh so vaguely saw my touch phone shining. I could barely make out the words on there, which were – manager.

He must’ve known that someone took his car, but…how did he know it was me?

Gathering up all my strength and courage, however, I croaked out, spitting out blood in between each pause, “H-Help..."

“!” Jiyeon spat out, before she plunged the dripping red knife right through the center of my phone. The glass broke, the screen turned lifeless, and my last hope faded away into nothingness.

Sigh...

But apparently...Jiyeon wasn’t done yet.

In fact, she seemed to just be starting.

“Aish, they’re gonna start coming now..." she groaned to no one in particular. My head was swimming, my breath was quickening, and my body started to feel more soaked with my own blood, but I was glad that she at least stopped...

...at least, until she glared at me again, the flashes in her eyes much, much angrier than before. I literally thought I saw some lightning flash in her eyes, illuminating the anger in them in this pure darkness that enveloped us. Either that...or it was the sky.

But before I can make any move – if I can even move at all – she literally plunged the knife somewhere in me and tore it down my flesh, drowning my painful cries with her own as she screeched, “YOU ALWAYS RUIN EVERYTHING! YOU, KYUHYUN! YOU ALWAYS MAKE ME HAPPY AND THEN MAKE ME FEEL LIKE AFTERWARDS! I HATE YOU!”

Then, to make things worse, she put her knife right over where my heart was, and plunged as hard as she could with each word – “HATE! YOU! HATE! YOU! HATE! YOU!”

“JIYEON!!!!” I finally shouted out, crying my eyes out, trying to crouch into a ball to get away from her deadly weapon. “JIYEON, PLEASE STOP! WHATEVER I DID, I’M SORRY BUT – “

“You’re sorry now? At last?” she quietly asked, panting, her voice hoarse from all the screaming. “Sorry now, when in fact you left me helpless and almost dead, and lonely without anyone else caring about me for five in’ years?”

“You say you did what you had to do but...such a selfish excuse, Cho Kyuhyun...especially leaving me with that you call your girl..." Turning a blind eye to my excruciating pain, she scoffed and continued, “Right...totally ignoring my feelings, playing with me, my feelings...was I that weak, Kyuhyun? Really, was I? Or was it just that necessary to always play the good guy?”

But I barely even heard her, because much to my desperation [and slight relief], the pain started to slowly fade away, and so did her voice, and my surroundings...

Well, as expected...at least I got to die with Seohyun...same place, same way...

And for the same reason.

“Did you know that I once loved you?” she asked, suddenly sounding very sober. “I once loved you, but after seeing you leave when Seohyun unnie threatened to break up with you and almost killed me, stabbed me just like I did to you right now...how did you think I felt, hmm? Come on, you’re smart, you could get this..."

W-What the hell, J-Jiyeon...

If you loved me then...is this revenge, or are you just crazy?

But before I could even mutter that...Jiyeon cursed again before she wiped her bloody knife on my leg, stashed it somewhere in her jacket and immediately fled...

...Unfortunately, I guess someone took notice of her since I heard someone [I think...Siwon hyung? I’m not too sure; I was dying so how could I know?] yell out, “HEY YOU! WHO ARE YOU!?”

Before I could hear her answer though, or respond to the sudden stampede of who I assumed to be my members, or even look up to all the blazing lights suddenly making me dizzier than I already was...

...next thing I knew, I was staring into what seemed like pure, innocent white light.

Death, at its most beautiful state.

 

Siwon's POV

“HEY YOU! WHO ARE YOU!?” I yelled to the petite girl I saw fleeing from Kyuhyun’s now dead body, my head feeling hot and steamy with anger despite the freezing cold of this 3 AM night. The other managers, staff members, and Super Junior members – especially Leeteuk hyung – gave out cries of terror, sorrow, and shock, but I barely heard because of trying to focus on the fleeting girl’s features.

How could such a small, ordinary, down-graded girl...

Do this to our Kyuhyun?

How is the world so twisted like this?

What did he ever do to her?

Clearly no ordinary murderer can look like her...and I doubt any sa-saeng fan could be this severe...

But...that girl...

Why is she so in' familiar?

The short, boy-ish haircut....

The small, arrogant smile, completed with a solid, cold stare from her big eyes...

Her red and black leather clothes covering her petite figure from head-to-toe...

Forgetting about Kyuhyun for just a second, I stood there in the cold and rain and wind and chaos and crying, trying to figure it all out...

Trying to get clear at least the killer of OUR maknae, if not SNSD's...

She hasn't ever come to backstage as a V.I.P...

She wasn't a photographer...nor was she ever a reporter...

And she's definitely not a member of our staff...right?

Then who...

.................wait...

...no...way...c-could it b-be -

"KYUHYUN!!!!!" I heard Ryeowook and Eunhyuk sob aloud, which bought me straight back to reality - to the cold, cruel, hardcore reality that had us all crying btiterly, torn into pieces that couldn't be gathered up to make a whole Super Junior ever again.

Quickly rushing over to the sad, bloody spot, I did a double take when I saw what state that girl left him in; I could barely recognize him through all the blood splattered around him. Rather than a dead Kyuhyun it looked like a huge, porcelain mannequin that got spilled all over with fresh red paint...

But I wasn't the only one who was shocked...everywhere I looked, people screamed, mourned, or yelled in outrage over what happened to our hard-working, multi-talented, popular, yet humble and quiet maknae, who worked so hard to get where he was...

Now that an idol died, though, nothing will ever be the same...

Staring at his corpse, without knowing I started to sob and break down like everyone else, my heart wringing out a fresh new wave of tears nearly every second, when -

"S-Siwon?" Leeteuk croaked out, and although it wasn't too loud, it certainly did silence everyone up.

"Whar?" I asked, looking up reluctantly, for I didn't want any more bad news.

But...once he moved out of the way, I thought for sure that things couldn't be any more worse; the world already brought us to the lowest point possible anyways -

There, laying a few yards away from Kyuhyun's fresh corpse, was -

"Seohyun," Donghae softly mumbled, unable to speak for he was heavily panting with sadness.

I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I couldn't speak. All I could do was stare at the two famous corpses in horror, wondering with dread how much pain - and money - their deaths would cost.

"Siwon," Leeteuk repeated again, this time matching my eye contact with his own red, blotchy eyes.

"Yeah?"

"D-Do you know if that girl...that girl was ever near Seohyun at one point?"

Oh gawd, I wish I did...

I really, really wish I knew if Park Jiyeon really did have the in' guts to do this to us...

Resigned [for now], though, I shrugged wearily and said, crying some more, "I don't know, hyung, I really don't know..."

But I do know one thing...

And that is that Jiyeon, you...you really are going to be done for...

'Cause we...JUST.WON'T.LET.THIS.GO.

At all...

 

Jiyeon's POV

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAWD, SIWON CAUGHT ME! SIWON IN' CAUGHT ME!

WHAT WAS HE EVEN DOING THERE!? DID HE FREAKIN' AUDITION TO BE A STUPID IDOL, TOO??

Well of course! He was always out to get you, if not Seohyun...even when he was a kid he didn't let me go.

Groaning inwardly, I yanked my car door open and threw myself onto the plush leathery backseat, sobbing into my arms...

....'cause even if I tried to make things even between the world, in the end it's always me that gets blamed, me that always gets the bad end of the stick...

First Seohyun, now Kyuhyun, and now Siwon...

Why are you guys all such in' es?

Am I really that...really that undeserving? Isn't it you guys who are supposed to be undeserving!?

Letting out a loud, loud scream, I threw my knife to the floor of the car and wailed, not caring about how loud I was anymore or who was going to catch me...

But just one, one single thing...

Am I free...or am I done for?