L (is for the way you look at me)

The Theory of Instincts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo pretends he doesn’t see the tuft of black hair and two fluffy ears poking out from behind the tree. Jongin. A bright smile bloomed on his face. Just the thought of his fluffy bear hybrid stalker made him extremely happy, but there was no denying the ache in his heart. Kyungsoo shook his head and continued on his way, swinging his bucketful of apples as he headed towards the non-hybrid section of the reserve.

It’s been almost three months since he’d started working here, initially as a volunteer during his holidays away from university; it was his love for animals that made him beg his cousin to allow him to take on a full-time position after he’d graduated.

Suho, essentially the owner of this huge reserve, had given in to his pleas once Kyungsoo had whipped out his perfected puppy eyes. That, and his Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Behavior and Ethology, which he had so proudly flaunted in his cousin’s face. “First-class honors, hyung!”

His best friends, Baekhyun and Sehun, had tagged along during one of his earlier visits to the reserve, and they were sold after that. The three boys were now part of a team of only eight that made sure the reserve’s operations ran without a hitch.

It’s tough at times, considering their small numbers and the large land area they had to cover everyday. What’s worse is the number of animals in the reserve. Animal in Haven, Kyungsoo had scoffed when Suho told him the name of the reserve, was one of the rare zoos slash reserves that housed both non-hybrids and hybrids.

Non-hybrids were easier to take care of. Hybrids, not so much…

They looked human, apart from their animal ears and tail, for those species with tails that is. The amount of freedom Suho had given the hybrids to roam around the reserve was what made it tough for the keepers. Not to mention the couple of troublemakers they had who loved to wreck havoc.

Exhibit A. Chanyeol, or as Kyungsoo likes to call him – Dumbyeol, the Giraffe hybrid.

He was about to walk pass the foxes pen when the flailing hybrid almost ran over him. Kyungsoo squeaked and whirled around hurriedly, desperately trying to avoid any forms of contact. But he failed and flopped to the ground, apples flying everywhere.

“You need to put on your pants, Chanyeol!” Baekhyun screamed and ran after the streaker, waving the said clothing in the air. His best friend barely spared him a glance when he passed. “Sorry, Soo!” Baekhyun yelled before he was gone, out of sight.

Kyungsoo lay on his back, stunned for a moment, while staring up at the blue sky. The ache on his finally caught up to him and he whimpered while rubbing it with a huge pout on his face. Oww… that hurt! Stupid dumbyeol.

There was a loud squeak several meters away before he picked up the sound of hurried footsteps. Kyungsoo lifted his head lazily, staring at Jongin who was scrambling towards him. He expected the bear hybrid to snatch at the fallen apples; after all they were his favorite snack. But Jongin knelt beside him, completely ignoring the apples before he started to run his hands all over Kyungsoo’s . The keeper shrieked.

“Are you okay? Does your hurt, Kyungie hyung?” Jongin waved an angry fist in the air. “Damn you, giraffe. I swear I’ll bite you the next time I see you.” The bear hybrid started petting the squirming keeper’s , coddling him.

Kyungsoo whined and tried to avoid Jongin’s hands, but the other was just all over him. “No, Jongin!” He slapped the roaming hands away before shooting up to stand on his feet. Kyungsoo grabbed his own protectively and glared down at the bear hybrid while red in the face. “No touching my !” He wagged a finger at Jongin.

The other was looking more and more dejected. With his head hanging, Jongin pouted and eyed him with pitiful eyes. “But I like Kyungie hyung’s .” He declared. Kyungsoo’s face flushed red. “I like Kyungie hyung!” Jongin rambled on. “A lot!” The bear hybrid jumped up and pounced on the keeper.

Jongin was squishing him into a hug, rubbing his face against Kyungsoo’s neck, but the latter pushed the other away. It was hard because Jongin was taller and bigger than him. Hand reaching to the side of his waist, he took out his spray bottle and sprayed Jongin right in the face. It was a punishment that’s rarely used, only in the extreme cases. But Kyungsoo had to put his foot down.

He knew the hybrid likes him. He was starting to feel for Jongin as well, but this kind of relationship – that between hybrid and human, is frowned upon by society. Kyungsoo shouldn’t like Jongin. He was starting to, so he had to stop before they got too far. Before he fell too deep.

“No.” He said firmly. Jongin, who had previously shrieked and hid his face behind his hands, peeked out between his fingers once again. “Yes! Jongin likes Kyungie hyung!” The bear hybrid yelled defiantly. Kyungsoo felt his heart skip a beat. I like you too, but we can’t…

He raised the spray bottle again and Jongin cowered immediately. The bear hybrid hated water. “You can’t…” Kyungsoo sighed exasper

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter