↬ Paradox - Incomplete

↬ COUNTERPACTS - DISCONTINUED

"I have words for you."

Heritage Enforcement Law & Leadership

Name: Ryuu Yuki

Date of Birth: 10 June XX97

: F

Class: Observed Descendant

I.D. #: 2FRY100697

Power: Ice

Note: Increasing manners indicates increasing temper. Loyal when inspired but only then. Honesty highly encouraged.

"Only if you can make me."

Heritage Enforcement Law & Leadership

Name: Choi Minho

Date of Birth: 09 December XX97

: M

Class: Observed Descendant

I.D. #: 2MCM091297

Power: Fire

Note: Volatile temper. Highly competitive and a daredevil. Exercise caution with words, actions, and temper at all times.

.

She shifted from one foot to the other, waiting for someone to take notice of her. The office was, contrary to expectations, quiet and rather empty. Computers were off, plants wilting, and phones unattended. 

She looked through the glass once more, a figure swiftly passing by.

She knocked on the glass, catching the attention of the stranger who, in turn, finally opened the door.

"May I assist you?" the female asked, adjusting her grip on her packet of paper. 

"My name is Seungyeon," she introduced, all but shoving the necessary papers into the lady's hands. The stranger took a minute to scrutinize the forms before nodding her head inwards.

"I'm Yuki," the female stated, returning the papers. She walked down the hall and Seungyeon, after a beat, followed her. "Our Chief is out but you are welcome to wait. Only my Counterpart and I are currently present for the lunch shift."

Seungyeon made a sound to show she was listening, eyes taking in the halls. They were all empty, signs on the doors hinting that this branch wasn't as formal as expected. 

Out 
(but that doesn't mean
you can eat my candy!)

Be Back In 1 2 Hours Whenever

Closed
(forever)
(Stop writing on my sign Jooheon!)
(because of bad attitude)
(to hospitalize my Counterpart)
(Ok, stopping!)

 

"You can-"

Red lights and siren sounds flooded the building, cutting Yuki off. 

"Beserker two blocks down," a male declared over the siren, popping out of one of the offices with the sign on the door declaring Do Not Disturb (especially if you have more papers). The newbie was tall and lean, brown hair just long enough to jerk with every step and with bright, giant-

"Frog eyes," Seungyeon muttered, not bothering to make her comment a secret. The male gawked while Yuki grinned, too much teeth shown to be kind but more than enough to be predatory. "What? Get on with your job. It won't do itself."

"You heard the newcomer, 'Froggie,' " Yuki declared, putting one hand on the male's shoulder with clear amusement. "Time to get a move on."

"Two things," the male stated, staring down at Seungyeon. "For one, my name is Minho-"

The siren noises had stopped although the red lights continued to flash, causing his eyes to reflect the wavelength compellingly.

"-and two, I hate you," he finished before jogging after Yuki.

"Feeling's mutual," she called out, following the pair.

The second out of the building was chaos. People were running away so there was no doubt which way they were supposed to head. Getting there was a bit more difficult. 

"Hate crowds," Minho grumbled, his complaint somehow audible amidst the chaos.

From above, streetlight bulbs blew down the line and the people below scrambled to avoid those too; Seungyeon took advantage and traveled under them with a smirk and Yuki half a step behind. Minho joined a few seconds after, mumbling something about broken glass and shoes. As they neared the epicenter, the wind picked up rapidly, sending dust, trash, and loose papers flying wildly. 

"Berserker at three o'clock," Yuki warned, the trio jumping in the cover of a parked car just as a motorcycle was sent flying in their direction. It crashed into the building, one wheel falling off and rolling down the street. A cloud of dust blinded them but between squinted eyes, they all caught the blur of a humanoid shape before it disappeared, more dust following its trail. 

"Watch for now, squirt," Minho advised, throwing a glance over his shoulder before his arms burst into flames

"Holy sh-" Seungyeon cut herself off, opting to throw her hands out in front of her and block as much of the flying debris and smoke as she could when the male started flying, using fire from his hands to propel himself.

"Show off," Yuki grumbled before turning to Seungyeon, expression less annoyed. "Since you aren't officially registered yet, you should stand back; any injuries won't be covered by the office."

With that said, she vaulted over the car, sprinting towards the beginning of a tornado. Faintly, Seungyeon could catch quick blurs of that same shape from before, arms and legs mid-motion; super speed, if she had to guess.

Minho threw fireballs into the vortex, obviously aiming to hit the perpetrator, but they were unable to hit their mark with its target so quick. Yuki, on the other hand, was ducking behind cars and other obstacles, stealthy and out of sight where Minho was obvious and attention-grabbing. 

A mailbox soared in the air and Seungyeon ducked under the car moments before it crashed where she had been just before. She glanced out, spotting a large, misshapen ring of fire and, she noted wryly, a contained cyclone inside; Minho had created a trap.

The wind vortex began picking up and she could feel it strain against its surroundings, pulling objects towards itself including the car above her. 

There was a loud curse from above; the whirlwind was cutting off the oxygen supply to the fire trap. Seungyeon rubbed her hands together, feeling her own power spark between her fingertips. Fortunately, she need not.

Two seconds later, there was a howl and a glacier of ice emerged from above the fire ring that, after another few moments, died down on its own. Objects fell unceremoniously to the floor and she rolled to the side to avoid being hit by the falling car.

She waited for a moment, wary of the Berserker and giving herself a second, before standing and heading towards the glacier.

"-took forever," Minho complained, narrowing his eyes at Yuki. 

"You threw your flames in my way," Yuki retorted, rolling her eyes. Minho opened his mouth to reply but Yuki threw him a meaningful look and glanced at Seungyeon.

"We should get back to the office. Someone should be by soon for our report," Yuki reminded, pulling out a phone and tossing it to the male who rolled his eyes but obediently began to make a call while walking away.

"He's calling for pick up," she stated, stepping beside Seungyeon with one hand resting comfortably on her waist. "No one has been idiotic enough to disturb the captured Berserkers yet and Headquarters wants it to stay that way."

"What the snowflake means-"

"Matchstick," Yuki threw back, glaring.

"-is that we'll have to watch over the Berserker until the pick up comes. You're welcome to wait with us or head back to the office first," Minho translated, tossing the cell back at Yuki. She caught it with a swift, smooth movement and for a moment, while the two glared at each other, Seungyeon could have sworn that a storm was brewing.

"How long does it take generally?" Seungyeon questioned, glancing between the two with mild interest.

"Usually it's around 10 - 20 minutes or so but our Executive said she was on her way and she'll take 5 minutes tops," Minho answered, tearing his gaze away from his Counterpart. "Especially in weather like this."

"Weather like this," Seungyeon repeated, feeling vague nostalgia.

She looked up automatically, a sense of deja vu overtaking her as she caught sight of a small shadow against the light of the sun. It grew more distinct and large as it drew nearer and when the figure finally landed, she recognized what had been tugging on her mind the entire time - the Head Executive had the same name as her sister.

Seeing her sister again after all these years, at her new job no less, was-

"Surreal," she whispered under her breath. 

"It seems that way, yes," her sister agreed off-handedly, eyes focused on the page in front of her as she signed her name, quick and neat. "How is Jongin?"

"Well, it's been fourteen years so I can say taller with certainty," Seungyeon stated, eyeing her sister. "As for you-"

"I may only be five feet tall but I'm still your superior and your elder sister," her sibling cut in simply, passing her a paper. "And for the record, it may be fourteen years since we have last met but Jongin and I have seen each other annually since four years ago."

There was a moment of silence, more telling than she wanted it to be.

Her sister raised one eyebrow, nothing but actual curiosity and confusion in her expression.

"Has he not told you?"

It took a moment before she could unclench her jaw long enough to speak.

"What?"

Her sister gave her a searching look, the meaning unknown, and shrugged, the faint movement somehow conveying so little and so much all at once. 

"Before you begin your duty, stop by the office with Jongin," her sister ordered simply. "You have someone you'll have to meet."

It may have been fourteen years since their last interaction - unlike Jongin, the traitor - but she could still tell her sister's dismissal. Her feet moved before her mind could even register and it was only outside of the Executive Office that she thought about looking at the paper she had been given. 

It was a copy of her resumé, a giant red approved stamp at the top with a clear, loopy signature at the bottom of her sister. But it was different. In green pen, her sister had gone about correcting it like a school paper and, at the top, gone so far as to write a comment.

You still need to work on your spelling.

She accidentally crushed the paper. 

Last Touched: 22 May 2017

.

"But young Icarus, overwhelmed by the thrill of  flying, 
did not heed his father's warning, and flew too close to the sun"

"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

A/N: This is the end of the first pair. If it isn't obvious by now, the entire chapter is a reference to the story that this one is inspired by (link on foreword), down to the powers and their codename. I hope you enjoyed it and that, maybe, I'll have another chapter up soon for you to enjoy. Until then.