RP: Calling Dr Lee (3)

RP: Calling Dr Lee

The next few weeks flew by quickly as the emergency department remained bustling with cases to see and patients to attend. Thankfully, Dr Lee did not say anything after Aaliyah's brief introduction. He just did his work alongside her, only talking to her as he gave instructions on the care of the patients, sensing that she needed space. Aaliyah was grateful for that as it became easier for them to work. His smile still annoyed her but she felt that as long as he did not disturb her, she would be fine with it. Aaliyah did not bother to ask herself why did that smile produced a strong reaction, as to question that, would open up parts of her heart which she thought had shattered and died.

 

Of course, life at the emergency department would not be complete without a few mishaps here and there due to a certain doctor's clumsiness. Ever so often, there would either be a crash followed by an apology or simply an "Ouch.. Sorry", to the point that whenever Dr Lee came by, the nurses made sure that there was nothing hazardous surrounding him. There was even a nickname for him. Clumsy Bunny or CB for short.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Rachel... Rachel, honey.. Breathe..."

 

"Lee Taemin!!! Get your hands off me.. You!! You are the cause of this. I don't care. You are not getting me pregnant anymore. You can jolly well keep your up your .. Arrgh...."

 

"Rachel, darling.. Breathe... Remember what the doctor said. Relax... Ouch, why did you slap my arm?"

 

Aaliyah's moderately peaceful night at the emergency department was disturbed when a man wheeled in his heavily pregnant and vocal wife, looking quite flustered with his hair unkempt and mismatched slippers. Guessing that this was their first baby, Aaliyah went over to introduce herself as well as to reassure the couple. Before she could do so, the wife screamed while gripping her poor husband's arm. "Tae... I think the baby's coming now."

 

Upon hearing that, Aaliyah immediately took over from the hapless husband and quickly wheeled her into the isolation room after telling him to follow her. "Hi, my name is Dr Lee. I'm your doctor tonight. Let us see, Mrs Lee, right? " Onew smiled as he walked into the room while the patient nodded. "Why not I check how far along is the baby before we decide whether to deliver her here or up at the labour suite?" For a moment, Aaliyah stood still, mesmerized by Dr Lee's soothing voice as he spoke gently to calm the patient. Something in his voice had this ability to tame even the most savage of beasts as demonstrated a few times when the department was turned upside down by drunkards who thought that the world owed them and vented their frustrations by destroying the department's equipment. However, the moment Dr Lee talked to them, their strength suddenly disappeared and they became docile. Aaliyah refused to admit it but she was very impressed with what she saw.

 

A long moan snapped Aaliyah back to the present situation. Seeing that the baby was at the crowning stage, it was decided to deliver the baby in the isolation room. Aaliyah assisted Dr Lee as he gave instructions to the patient to push when he asked her, to conserve her energy while giving reassurances to the now pale husband who looked as though he's undecided to be in pain from his wife's deathly grip on his arm or to faint. A wail was soon heard in that room, indicating a new life had been born. Tired eyes met teary eyes as they smiled and reaffirmed their love for each other before looking down at their precious bundle of joy after both mother and daughter had been checked properly for any signs of complications and deemed healthy to be transferred to the ward. Aaliyah felt overwheming tenderness, looking at the beautiful scene. She did not realised that she was crying until she felt a hand gently wiping those tears away, Looking up, she saw gentle eyes that slowly creased to be half moons and a warm smile that cracked the barrier she protected so dearly to prevent anyone from entering her heart.

 

~Why? Why does that smile makes my heart flutter? I should have learnt my lesson years ago when I fell for another cute smile. The hurt and devastation that was left behind should have made me immune. Then, why? Why does my heart flutter again? Dr Lee, am I falling in love with you?~

 

With a gasp, Rachel pulled away. Quicky bowing to the couple and informing them to wait for the hospital's porter that will bring them to the ward, she left the room. In a daze, Aaliyah went through the motion of changing her uniform before heading home. Her mind in a turmoil, Aaliyah did not noticed that she had taken the wrong route home and found herself in an unknown part of the town. She was about to retrace her steps when she saw two men walking unsteadily towards her. Her heart started to beat rapidly as she tried to walk away. Unfortunately, they caught up and started to back her against the wall in the dark alley behind her. " Well.. Well, look here. We got ourselves an angel. Are you lost, baby? Want us to show the way to heaven?" snickered one of the man while the other laughed along. Not wanting to make any sudden movements to trigger those men to do anything to her, Aaliyah kept quiet while pleading to the heavens above for a savior. "Why, Joe... The angel is not talking? Speechless coz you like what you see,baby? Hahaha.. No matter, we'll get her to scream later." At that point, the one nearest to her grabbed her chin and placed his lips on her, forcing her to open . Aaliyah tried to struggle but she felt helpless when his friend took the opportunity to hold her arms while bringing his body closer to mold himself to her thigh. Aaliyah could feel his hardness and she felt like vomiting especially when she felt hands squeezing her s. She closed her eyes and prayed really hard.

 

Suddenly, she felt those weights left her before she heard moans and grunts coming from what sounded like a fight nearby. Too afraid to open her eyes, Aaliyah finally dared to sneak a peek after a moment of silence. What she saw surprised her. The two men were lying on the ground, clutching their stomachs while a man in the shadows was moving away. "Wait. Excuse me. I would like to..." Aaliyah rushed out to the location where the mysterious man was but he had disappeared. She left the place feeling disappointed as Aaliyah had wanted to thank her savior only to find that he was gone.

 

Later that night, after scrubbing herself at least 3 times to get rid of those unwanted memories, Aaliyah laid on her bed. She was on the verge of sleeping when she suddenly sat up. Why was the man who saved her looked exactly like Dr Lee? Was she just overwhelmed with that day's events that she confused all her memories? Aaliyah ended up tossing and turning that night as there was no way the man who saved her was Dr Lee aka Clumsy Bunny? Or did he?