RP: Calling Dr Lee (1)

RP: Calling Dr Lee

~Why? Why does that smile makes my heart flutter? I should have learnt my lesson years ago when I fell for another cute smile. The hurt and devastation that was left behind should have made me immune. Then, why does my heart flutter again? Dr Lee, am I falling in love with you?~

 

Backtrack to 2 months ago.......

 

"Hey, Aaliyah. We are going to Mark's for dinner after work. Do you want to join us?" Out popped Val's head from behind her locker as the girls were changing out of the uniforms after a hard day's work. Being nurses in a busy hospital, they were usually on their feet most of the time. Not that Aaliyah minded at all. She loved this profession of hers. Being there for the patients and seeing their smile, when Aaliyah gave her tender, loving care made up for all those times when she had to deal with the ty things that came with the job too.

 

Aaliyah declined the offer and left the room, not seeing the disappointed look on her friend's face. She had neither the mood or the energy to socialise with anyone. ' Go to work, Go home and Sleep ' was how Aaliyah's routine was like after THE incident. Those who knew may even say that she's imposing some kind of self-torture onto herself by not letting herself move on, but it was easier said than done. Old Aaliyah would not have passed the chance to mingle with friends, spend time away from work and home, just to chill and relax to soothe those tiredness away. Old Aaliyah would have said yes immediately to her friend's suggestion. But she was not the Old Aaliyah anymore.

 

What happened had broken her. After what Jonghyun and Se Kyung had done behind her back, she didn't think she had a heart anymore, not after it had shattered into a million pieces with no way to mend it. Walking towards the bus stop, unconsciously, her mind began a playback and tears started to flow down her cheeks as it always did on that day for the past two years. The day that was supposed to be her wedding day.

 

Aaliyah and Jonghyun were childhood sweethearts who vowed to love and be with each other through thick and thin together. All started from an incident in which she punched a boy in the playground for calling him a sad excuse of a puppy. One look into each other's eyes, they burst out laughing like old buddies. In high school, Jonghyun publicly proposed to Aaliyah after school one day. Doing it in front of the elderly shop owner after buying a candy ring at the nearby neighbourhood store, causing her to blush and grin widely as she hugged him. In her mind, she was so glad that she had punched the older kid when they were younger because it made her found him. The love of her life. Later on, even though their college were not the same, they had still managed to stay close. Sure, they had fights like any other couple but their love was so strong that within hours of the silent treatment, either one would pick up the courage to call the other and soon, the fight was forgotten. Oh so, she thought. Cracks soon appeared in an otherwise, perfect relationship when she got into nursing school and he started working in a law firm as a legal aide. Days of not seeing each other sometimes turned to weeks.

 

"Jjong, honey. I missed you."

 

"Sorry, baby. Soon, I promise. I need to rush this report. My boss needs it by tomorrow morning"

 

"Aaliyah, baby. I'm sorry that I had not been the best boyfriend in the world, with all the late nights I've been doing and not seeing you much. Bad Jjongie for making Aaliyah baby sad." Jonghyun pouted, bringing a smile on Aaliyah's face as she could never be angry with that cute aegyo. "But, I cannot imagine a life without my baby girl and with that in mind, will you..." A platinum ring studded with small diamonds suddenly appeared on the table in the Italian restaurant which Jonghyun had painstakingly reserved earlier that month. "Marry me?"

 

Needless to say, that was the happiest day of Aaliyah's life. She would finally be Mrs Kim Jonghyun. Mrs Aaliyah Kim. No more daydreaming. They broke the news to both sets of parents that very night, who were just as excited to see their children grew up and getting married after years of being together. Rounds of congratulations as well as tight hugs with lots of tissues and mascara ruined, the families proceeded with the wedding preparations.

 

"Jjong, honey. Who was that?"

 

"Who? Oh, that. That's Se Kyung. She just joined the firm. As her senior, my boss decided to partner us together so that I would be able to teach her the ropes. Why? Hmm, are you jealous? Don't be, baby." Putting his hand to her heart "My heart is in there with you,remember? Besides, I'm too in love with you to stray."

 

With that promise, Jonghyun managed to allay her worries. However, Aaliyah just could not get rid of this nagging feeling that took root at the back of her head especially after knowing that Jjonghyun's nights were pretty much occupied with a certain long-haired beauty whose perfectly manicured nails and glamorous looks somehow managed to make Aaliyah feel so self-conscious and inadequate around her. 

 

The day of the wedding came quickly for Aaliyah, who had to pinch her cheeks several times a day, just to confirm that this was real. Between the wedding preparations and her work, she was kept quite busy and had less time to meet up with Jonghyun. She was looking forward to getting the wedding done and over with so that she could finally concentrate on being a good wife to her honey and be the supportive and caring wife as how she was taught by her mother who was taught by her own mother.

 

Aaliyah knew that she was not supposed to see the groom before the wedding itself as it would signify bad luck for their marriage but she had missed Jonghyun so much that she decided to sneak out at the crack of dawn and went to his apartment, just to buy his breakfast and maybe, cuddle up to him for a while. She had been feeling quite jittery for the past few days and she was hoping that by seeing Jonghyun, he would chase away those fears and make her confident to stand by his side as his wife. Aaliyah giggled to herself as she punched in the code to his apartment, opening the door without a sound. 

 

Hmmm, what was these? Clothes scattered all over the place? Aaliyah's puzzlement grew as she saw pieces of Jonghyun's clothes lying on his living room floor, which was soon joined by pieces of a woman's clothing and underwear. Her heartbeat increased as her mind worked into overdrive. Should she walk towards that bedroom door in which the clothes trail ends? What would she find there? Was her worst fears coming true? Subconsciously, she found herself slowly walking towards that open door when she heard moans from that very room. What she saw shook her to her very core and shattered her heart. Her fiance, , on top of a woman, ing into her as the woman moaned her pleasure. The two lovers were oblivious to Aaliyah as they strove to reach their peaks. Aaliyah stood rooted to the ground, unable to process what she saw. That.. That was supposed to be her in a few hours. How? How could he done this to her?

 

A rush of fury swept up Aaliyah and her eyes, which had tears flowing down, suddenly hardened. Looking around, she spied his precious collection of remote controlled cars. Picking them up, one by one, she threw them towards the unsuspecting couple.

 

"Hmm, baby.. Ahhh.. Move like that... Ouch!! What the ? Ouch!!"

 

"Aaliyah...?" "Aaliyah, baby?"

 

Aaliyah just kept quiet as she rained those cars on them who cowered underneath the quilt cover to protect themselves from her fury. She refused to listen to Jonghyun's explanation. She should have listened to her own feelings that warned her that there was something going on with Jonghyun and Se Kyung, but he kept reassuring her and she chose to believe him.

 

Stupid Aaliyah. Naive Aaliyah. Foolish Aaliyah. Dumb Aaliyah. Betrayed Aaliyah. Hurt Aaliyah.

 

Finding that her fury slowly dissipating, Aaliyah turned towards Jonghyun whose body had bruises forming. "We are over." Aaliyah then took off the one precious thing that kept her warm during those lonely nights and threw that to his face. She left, without stopping, fearing that she would broke down in front of Jonghyun, should he ever managed to catch up to her. She still needed her pride left.

 

Aaliyah went back to her house, packed her belongings and left a letter to her parents, seeking their forgiveness as to why this wedding would not take place. She could not bear to be there anymore. Her heart hurts too much.