My Other Half

Awakening of the Heart

 

(5 Years Ago...)

Spring. Start of a new semester, and my last year in college.

“Hyung!” I looked behind me and saw my adopted brother walking towards me.

“Kikwang.” I greeted him. “You’re early.” I added.

“Of course! My first class will start at 9. Why? You’re early too.”

“Well I need to do some research.”

“Yeah right.” Kikwang commented.

“Yah!”

“Sorry hyung! I’ll go now!” he waved then ran away.

“Aish. That kid.” I grumbled. “But I’m glad he really changed.”  I thought.

“Doojoon, good morning.” I looked back and there. I saw her. Ryu Hyeju - the girl whom I’ve known since childhood and the girl whom I’ve fallen in love with. I love her long brown hair curled on its ends. Her full bang that rests just on top of her eyebrows. I love her almond-shaped eyes. Her fair skin that looks so smooth and soft.

She’s wearing a white Sunday dress with powder pink flats.

“Hyeju-ah.” I greeted her. She smiled at me that made my heart melt.

“Going to class now?” she asked.

“Not yet. I’ll go to the library.” I answered.

“Oh. Great. Let’s go together.” She offered which earned a nod from me.

We entered the library and took our seats in the back corner of the room. We’re in the music area. She’s music major while I’m in business department. She took a book from one of the racks near our seat and started reading.

She’s really pretty. Just by looking at her makes my heart flutter and become peaceful at the same time. I didn’t notice that I’ve been staring at her for a long time now until she spoke.

“Doojoon? What’s wrong?” she asked worriedly.

“Ah. Nothing. Sorry.” I awkwardly answered. I stood up and went to grab a book from the business area. It’s on the other side of the room so it took me a little while to get back to our seat.

“You sure took your time.” She chuckled. Her voice is like a bell to my ears. For the nth time today, my heart skipped a beat.

“Hyeju...”

“Hm?” she looked at me with curious eyes.

“I...” I looked down to my feet for a moment before I looked back at her. This time, I’m looking directly in her eyes.

“Will you get mad if I say that...”

“that?”

“Aish! Yoon Doojoon! You can do this! Confess now or let this opportunity go!”

“...that... I... I love you.”

Silence. I looked at her. Waiting for her to speak.

A slight touch of pink colored her cheeks. “She’s...blushing?”

“I...” I swallowed an imaginary lump of saliva when she spoke. “Thank you.” She said.

“Huh?”

“I said. Thank you for confessing to me. I... I... I love you too.” She blinked once and took a deep breath before shyly saying the three words that made me widely smile.

“Really??”

She nodded.

“Can you repeat it?” I asked. I wanted to hear them from her lips again.

“I... I said... I love you.” She whispered.

“Oh Hyeju!” I went to her side and helped her up then hugged her tightly.

“Thank you. I love you so much.” I whispered to her ear.