ii/iii

Coffee Hearts

There's a loud banging at Kyungsoo's door that causes him to stir from his peaceful sleep. He marches over and slams it open because who the knocks on someone's door like a madman at three in the goddamn morning. Kyungsoo is ready to release holy hell on this until his brain finally processes just who the culprit was.

 

Yixing's standing there with a grocery bag, dressed in sweatpants.

 

Only sweatpants.

 

It should phase Kyungsoo but honestly he stopped worrying about the other's sanity long time ago. He settles with scolding him instead.

 

"What the do you want Zhang Yixing?"

 

The other gives Kyungsoo a lazy smile. "Good morning to you too, sunshine. I brought you ice cream."

 

Kyungsoo sighs. "It's three in the morning. What would I need ice cream for?"

 

Yixing blinks. "I heard it didn't go well with lover boy so I brought you comfort food."

 

"I told you that hours ago! You even replied too! Why would you come here now?"

 

Yixing shrugs, the plastic bag crinkling softly with his movements. "I don't know about you but I keep myself up at night when I'm sad or crying of heartbreak"

 

"But I'm not heartbroken-"

 

"-and I don't want you to do that. So I figured since you were up anyway-"

 

"But I was sleeping-"

 

"-I would bring you comfort food and let you cry on my shoulder so you can get it all out."

 

Kyungsoo looks desperately at his best friend. "But Yixing-"

 

His best friend embraces him, holding him tight. "Shh, my little Kyungsoo. It will be okay."

 

Kyungsoo sighs in defeat, his face squashed against Yixing's bare chest. His words come out slightly muffled. "Fine I'll go get some spoons."

 

Yixing grins triumphantly and pulls away from the latter, marching over to his couch and plopping down. Kyungsoo shuts the door and rubs his eyes. He shuffles to the kitchen and and grabs some utensils without really looking, too tired to really care. Yixing stares at Kyungsoo until he sits down.

 

"Chopsticks with Ice Cream huh? I like your style." Kyungsoo narrows his eyes in confusion until he realizes which utensils he had grabbed. He huffs and hands a pair to his best friend before opening the vanilla ice cream, stabbing it a moment later.

 

"So." Yixing starts. "Boys." He stares hard at the other man.

 

"Boys." Kyungsoo stabs the ice cream harder this time and glances at the hole it creates.

 

Yixing looks hesitant. "They ."

 

Kyungsoo takes both chopsticks and slams them into the dessert. " yeah they do."

 

His best friend blinks a few times like he's waiting for something. "Especially when they reject you."

 

There is a brief silence before the smaller throws his chopsticks to the ground, loud clanging sounds ringing throughout the apartment from the metal hitting the floor. "It doesn't make sense! Like why reject me when you like me right? I mean it's been three ing months of this 'flirting' business- it was mutual, mind you- and all of a sudden he chickened out when I asked him on a simple date?! All I said was 'go on a date with me' not 'marry me and bear my children'. Not that he could bear my children biologically speaking, but still! I didn't even ask for commitment okay like what is there to be so scared of? Is it me? Am I scary?"

 

Yixing grins lazily. "You're like a mother bear Soo."

 

Kyungsoo chooses to ignore that, opting to rubbing his face from frustration instead. He sighs sadly. "I just don't get him. Jongin is so complex and strange that I just keep getting mixed signals from him."

 

Yixing tilts his head questioningly. "How so?"

 

Kyungsoo takes a few moments to think. "He never says my name."

 

"Your name?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Why?"

 

Kyungsoo throws his hands in the air. "I don't know okay? It's like he knows it but he doesn't want to say it and I don't know why."

 

Yixing purses his lips. "That is kind of weird."

 

Kyungsoo puts his head in his hands. Stress. This is way too much stress. “Then there’s the fact that he seems to shy away from having long conversations with me.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Kyungsoo rubs the back of his neck. “Once I was getting my cup of coffee from Jongin and he asked me how I was doing that day. I mean usually I would just be like ‘oh good, and yourself?’ but I figured I have been going there long enough that we were more comfortable with each other. So I started to complain about school and how Baekhyun was helping me train for the concert at the time and he just stood there with wide eyes like I just told him his favorite dog died. It was so weird Yixing.”

 

Kyungsoo’s best friend ponders for a bit. “Did he say anything back?”

 

“He was silent for a few minutes before he looked like he was on the verge of tears. He just said he had to go home early and left without saying anything else.” He remembers it so clearly. Jongin looked so defeated and Kyungsoo couldn’t understand why. All he told the other man was about his day, nothing that would bring someone to tears. Kyungsoo wanted to run after him but he decided against it. The next time the older male came in for coffee, Jongin acted as if nothing happened.

 

Kyungsoo looks to his best friend, his face scrunched up in confusion. Kyungsoo pats his leg. “Don’t think about it too hard, it’ll just give you a headache. Trust me.”

 

Yixing shakes his head. “I don’t know Kyungsoo. You picked a hard nut to crack.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles and stares down at his melted ice cream. “Maybe I should just give up.”

 

“No,” the latter says with a kind tone, “I don’t think you should. Just try a new approach because he obviously likes you Soo. All the other stories you have told me over the past 3 months make that evident enough.” Yixing looks to Kyungsoo. “And you like him a lot so why should you give up? Being in love is a selfish thing. Even if we are told that we can’t have that one person we cherish- even if it’s said by that person themself- we still love them. And until we find out why we can’t have them, we try as hard as possible to get them to love us back. You shouldn’t give up Soo. You need to find out what’s wrong with Jongin before you do.”

 

Kyungsoo opens his mouth to protest, that he isn’t exactly in love with Kim Jongin considering they have never dated or anything, but he knows Yixing would just deny it. So he just stays silent and then quietly mutters, “I don’t know what to do.”

 

Yixing shrugs. “It’ll come to you one day, I guess. For now though, you should take your mind off it.”

 

Kyungsoo looks at his friend in curiousity. “What do you suggest?”

 

“The museum near campus is putting on an art exhibition this weekend and one of my friend’s paintings got accepted. Apparently he is being awarded for his work and he wanted me to be there for him. You should come. You’ll enjoy it, I’m sure!”

 

Yixing’s an art major at their college. He has tried to invite Kyungsoo to other exhibitions like this before but he had always declined. This time though, he is actually considering it. “Sure, I guess I’ll go. What your friend’s name?”

 

“Kai.”

 

Kai. It doesn't quite sound Korean but then again it’s probably just an alias. All of the art students go by one, even Yixing. Kyungsoo just nods. “Okay.”





 

Kyungsoo swirls his champagne, his nimble fingers gently holding his glass. Turns out this exhibition wasn’t as low budget as he thought it would be. Looking around at all the guests, he can’t help but feel grateful that Yixing helped him get ready for the evening. Kyungsoo was prepared to just wear a nice button down shirt and dress pants but instead he found himself face to face with an expensive looking suit being held out to him by his best friend. Yixing had gotten him a Italian suit and threw it at him without letting Kyungsoo even get a word in.

 

‘My date has to look nice right?’ was the only reason he gave, accompanied by a sly smile and a wink.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know whether to hit him or thank him. But now that he see’s the extravagantly dressed woman wearing their finest pearls and short cocktail dresses and the handsome men with their shiny new shoes  and silk ties, he feels he really needs to thank best friend. Kyungsoo himself looks like a million bucks as well. His jet black suit and gelled up hair gives him the confidence he usually lacks at social functions like this. At the moment he is standing alone with the paintings being shown at the function. Most of the guests, including Yixing, moved to the other room to talk and snack on whatever food they were serving. Kyungsoo opted to stay behind. Besides being a social hermit, he was also deeply admiring the works of art in front of him. They are all absolutely beautiful and Kyungsoo can not help but to feel a little jealous of their skills. He's a singer, yes, but he always admired painting. It was one of the reasons he and Yixing became close friends.

 

Kyungsoo is smiling softly as he moved from painting to painting, but one in particular catches his attention. It's a watercolor painting that's painted across a very large canvas. Kyungsoo has to actually step back a few feet just to see the entire thing. It's breathtaking. It's of a sunrise over the ocean, a few boats in the distance sitting idle on the calm waters. There are so many natural factors incorporated into this painting- seagulls flying, trees and other brush around the edge- and the painter obviously wanted it to seem like you had come out of a forest only to find a secluded little beach. But that isn’t what made it so beautiful. It's as if the artist was trying to catch the sounds of everything around it. Every individual factor- a tree, the boats, the birds- they all had various colors around them. As if they were giving off these sounds from the painting. Stereotypical reds, yellows, and oranges from the sunrise mixed with several shades of greens and violets. Kyungsoo feels utterly captured in this painting and finds himself standing there for fifteen minutes. It's only when a woman walks up beside him, sipping her champagne, does he get knocked out of his trance.

 

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles at her. “It’s amazing.”

 

She nods, staring intently at the picture. “To me, it perfectly captures the sound of a sunrise. I don’t know about you but when I look at this painting, I can clearly hear the seagulls crying. The trees blowing in the soft breeze. I can even picture hearing the water making those small crinkling sounds as it washes up on the shore.” They both stay silent for a while, simply admiring the artwork in front of him.

 

“I really admire this painter.” Kyungsoo looks at her curiously. She takes that as her cue to continue. “He was a prodigy when he was younger and painted so many glorious paintings. He was so passionate for someone so young, it was inspiring.” She looks down at her empty glass. “But one day he was in a car accident with his mother. She didn't survive but he did. Unfortunately he was severely injured. There was a malfunction with the airbag and it never activated. He got a severe concussion.

 

“After he recovered he stopped painting for a while. He disappeared from the public eye for years only to return with paintings and sketches that surpassed his old ones significantly. Now his style is unique and no one has seen it before. He paints the sounds of everything around him. It’s quite beautiful really, how he overcame his impairment and continued his passion.”

 

Kyungsoo blinks. “Impairment?”

 

The woman stares at Kyungsoo weirdly. “Yes. Didn’t you know this artist is almost fully deaf?”

 

Kyungsoo’s breath hitches as he looks back at the painting. He steps closer to try to get a look at the bottom corners for the artist’s signature. There's a short sentence there, their name not stated anywhere else.

 

It reads, “Enjoy the moment while it lasts, because once it is gone it is gone forever.”

 

Kyungsoo can’t help but to feel mixed emotions about that. It almost somehow reminds him of Jongin. Kyungsoo sighs. He really shouldn’t think about him right now. Yixing brought here to stop moping so he should try and take his mind off it. He decides to go look for the man in question, stepping into the large ballroom where elegant music played softly and the atmosphere became light and airy.

 

When the he finally found his best friend, he is chatting with other artists from their university, Junmyeon and Kris. They're cracking jokes about Kris’s last art project he submitted to their professor, something about how he imitated picasso perfectly. Meanwhile, Kris just pouts and protests against it. Kyungsoo finds himself chuckling softly at the group of friends. When Yixing notices his presence, he pats him on the back.

 

“Guys, you remember Kyungsoo.”

 

Junmyeon grins. “Hey Kyungsoo. How have you been? Vocal training keeping you busy?”

 

“We have a concert coming up in a month so yeah I’m keeping busy.” They all hum and nod their heads.

 

Kris speaks up. “Did you get a solo this time? Yixing was telling us about how you tried out last concert but some prick got it instead.”

 

Junmyeon laughs. “I heard he ran off stage in the middle of the song too.”

 

Kyungsoo nods. “This time I got the solo. I’m a little nervous but I’m mostly excited about it.”

 

Junmyeon pats his forearm. “I’m sure you’ll do fine. Yixing says you have a voice of an angel so even if you mess up, no one will probably notice.”

 

Kyungsoo whacks Yixing’s shoulder. The other pretended to be hurt. “What was that for Soo?”

 

He rolls his eyes. “For lying to your friends about my voice.” Junmyeon and Kris smiled in amusement at the two. Before Yixing can retaliate, a man gathers everyone’s attention at the front.

 

“We will now be handing out rewards to some of the various artists presenting their work tonight. Please make your way to the west wing to see the presentation.”

 

Kyungsoo feels Yixing gently tap his shoulder. He looks to his best friend and blinks.

 

“We were going to go squeeze into the front so our friend will see us when he gets awarded. You want to come with us? I’ll introduce you when it’s over.” Kyungsoo has a weird feeling about this, and that strange serious glint in Yixing’s eyes is not helping, but he might as well go with them. After all, he knows no one else there so he would just end up awkwardly standing by himself in the back.

 

He silently follows the group of artists to the other ballroom as they pushed through the crowd to get to the front. This room is a lot like the last only instead there's a small stage set up in the middle. A podium and a large easel are situated in the middle, a few workers bringing in a painting to showcase.

 

The man that had told everyone to gather in the west wing was straightening his tie and clearing his throat. “We are gathered here today to honor those that have had their works accepted into this great museum. The few winners selected today will all receive forty million won as a reward for their efforts.”

 

Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows. That was a hell of a lot of money. From what Yixing told him about the other artists here tonight, they weren’t exactly spring chickens either. So for someone like Kai to get into this kind of program must be highly honorable.

 

He watches a few artists come up and shake hands with the man, receiving a plaque and taking a picture with their art brought up on the easel. Kyungsoo feels himself growing bored until he sees a few men lugging a familiar painting onstage. Yixing hits his best friend’s stomach with excitement.

 

“This is Kai’s painting!” he whispers loudly, earning weird stares from the other adults around them. Junmyeon and Kris have the biggest grins on their faces. The man at the podium cracks a few jokes about the size of the canvas, that they might need two easels just to hold it up. Everyone chuckles except for Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo, instead, was just intently staring at the painting once again, feeling a sense of pride that such a great painter was from his university. He has never heard of Kai until tonight and he can’t figure out why. He’s usually so involved with Yixing and his friends that he knows almost everyone in the art department. All except Kai.

 

A jolt of excitement shoots through his stomach when the man at the podium tells Kai to come to the stage. He cheers with his friends when he sees a young boy stepping out of the crowd to the right. It isn’t until he climbs the steps of the stage does Kyungsoo momentarily stop breathing.

 

There, in front of him, is Kim Jongin. His lovely barista that always gives him breathtaking smiles and made him such beautifully designed lattes. He doesn’t look quite the same though. His hair is still pink, but it's gelled up and over. His caramel skin seems to positively glow under the lights centered on the stage and his black suit just seems to make it pop even more. He looks drop dead gorgeous in Kyungsoo’s opinion. He must have his mouth hanging open because Yixing taps his cheek.

 

‘Flies’ he mouthgs. Kyungsoo blushes to the roots of his hair. Jongin is now posing by his painting, his eyes bright with happiness. Only when he's done does Junmyeon and Kris start waving their hands wildly. Yixing joins in too and Jongin chuckles when he sees them. He waves back enthusiastically, that is, until he makes direct eye contact with Kyungsoo.

 

His smile drops instantly. Kyungsoo feels a little hurt at that but he figures he probably would have reacted the same way if their situations were switched. He smiles shyly and gives him a thumbs up. It takes the man at the podium telling Jongin nicely to exit the stage to make the artist break eye contact with Kyungsoo, almost tripping down the stairs.

 

“This now concludes our night, please go back to enjoying yourselves in the main ballroom.”

 

Junmyeon points behind him. “Kris and I are going to go talk to Kai, you two coming?”

 

Yixing nods. “Yeah! You coming Soo?”

 

He wants to say no, make up some excuse that he had to go home and check on his dog or something. He knows it would be no use though, since Yixing would see right through his lies. Kyungsoo lets a wobbly grin graces his features. “Y-yeah. Lead the way.”

 

He doesn’t know why he’s so nervous as he weaves through the mass of people, following the others slowly. Maybe it’s because of Jongin’s reaction on stage. Did Kyungsoo really scare him that much? Why else would he react that way?

 

‘Didn’t you know this artist is almost fully deaf?’

 

Kyungsoo halts his movements. Jongin is almost fully deaf? This explains so much. Why he won’t say Kyungsoo’s name, why he sometimes doesn’t understand what Kyungsoo is saying, even why he stares so intensely at his lips all the time. Kyungsoo mentally curses at himself for making Jongin have to understand him through his mumbling words.

 

Wait. Is this why Jongin won’t go on a date with him? Kyungsoo rubs his face harshly. He is so angry with himself for not fully understanding Jongin’s situation before rashly asking him out on a date. Jongin probably thinks that his impairment is going to drive Kyungsoo away or some stupid . Kyungsoo just shakes his head as he continues in the direction his friends went. He needs to talk to Jongin. He needs to tell him it doesn’t matter, that Kyungsoo still has the same big fat crush on him, damaged cochlea or not.

 

He strides over to his friends who are patting Jongin on the back. His cheeks are bright red from all the attention and his smile is so bright, just as lovely as ever. Kyungsoo clears his throat awkwardly and everyone looks to him.

 

“Oh yeah,” Yixing puts his hand on the small of Kyungsoo’s back, “Kai?”

 

Jongin is staring at Kyungsoo with a blank look. Kyungsoo can see past it though, getting a peek at the barely concealed fear. Jongin breaks eye contact to look at Yixing.

 

“This is my best friend, Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, this is Kai.”

 

Kyungsoo never takes his eyes off Jongin and when the latter makes eye contact again, he smiles the biggest smile he can muster and brings his hands to his face. With the little Korean Sign Language he knows, he says a simple ‘hello’. It's supposed to be a kind gesture to show Jongin he knows and he doesn’t care. Jongin openly gapes at him and hesitantly says hello back in a similar gesture. Immediately after, Jongin keeps his gaze on the ground, fidgeting slightly. Kyungsoo sighs internally. It looks like he’s going to need to get him alone.

 

Junmyeon seems to notice Jongin’s sudden change in behavior, tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention. “Hey Kai, what’s wrong? You’re acting weird.”

 

Kris just laughs and slaps his hand on Jongin’s back. “Kai’s just probably still getting over getting all nervous on stage like that. Did you see his face?” Kris then opens his mouth and widens his eyes dramatically. Jongin blushes a deep red and slaps his arm.

 

Yixing smirks. “Not to mention he almost tripped going down the steps.” Jongin pouts at all of them.

 

“You guys .”

 

They all have amused expressions, even Kyungsoo who was enjoying just watching Jongin interact with his friends. When it gets silent Kyungsoo suddenly thinks of an idea.

 

“Hey guys, I’m going to go check out the dessert bar.”

 

Kris squeals. “Bring me back some fudge please.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles and walks off, barely hearing Jongin say ‘where’s he going?’ and ‘I’ll be right back don’t wait up.’ Kyungsoo feels his heart beat rapidly in his chest. Why is he so nervous?

 

He approaches the practically abandoned dessert bar and grabbed a small plate, someone doing the same beside him. When looking at all the choices, he briefly glances at Jongin standing quietly next to him. Kyungsoo figures he would let Jongin start this conversation, after all he didn’t want to scare off the other male again. Kyungsoo looks back at the array of sweets. He feels his mouth water at the sight of the lemon squares and decides it, he’s getting four of them just for himself. He feels like stuffing himself with sugar from the stress of trying to avoid talking to people. He really hates functions like this.

 

“I’m sorry Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo is in mid bite of his lemon square, forgetting about the powdered sugar on the top, and let out a surprised breath when he heard his name fall from the other’s lips for the first time. A white cloud of sugar fills the air but, much to Kyungsoo’s horror, most of the sugar landed on Jongin’s jet black suit.

 

“Oh my god-” Kyungsoo mentally curses himself for the nth time that night and walks closer to Jongin. He tries to brush off the brunt of the sugar but it just ends up making it worse, his suit randomly speckled with white and smudged with grey where Kyungsoo just seems to rub it in. Jongin’s laugh bubbles up after seeing Kyungsoo look so embarrassed and when he looks up, the shorter male begins laughing too.

 

When they've calmed down from their giggling fit, Kyungsoo smiles softly at him. “Sorry about that.”

 

Jongin shrugs, his expression just as soft. “Karma, I guess.” Kyungsoo shakes his head.

 

“You did nothing wrong Jongin.”

 

Jongin looks skeptical. “I kind of ran away from you the other day without even explaining myself. That’s pretty wrong.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles lightly. “But it’s okay, Jongin. Really.”

 

Jongin’s confidence seems to crack there because he gives him the same miserable look that he did the day Kyungsoo asked him out. “But it’s not okay. It really isn’t. I ran away from you. I was so scared that you would be mad at me or worse, avoid me all together. People don’t like to be around me. I make them uncomfortable and I didn’t want to make you uncomfortable-”

 

Jongin stops when he feels Kyungsoo cup his cheek. He gazes at Kyungsoo with teary eyes. “Jongin,” Kyungsoo says, his voice warm. Jongin just whimpers softly, staring at the other's plush lips. “It’s okay. Really it is. It’s because of your hearing right?” Jongin nods slowly and Kyungsoo takes a deep breath, determined.

 

Guess it’s now or never.

 

“Jongin, your deafness doesn’t bother me. I’ve liked you for months and have been trying to get to know you better so I could ask you out, but you were kind of quiet and I didn’t want to push you. I was rash when I ran after you that day, I admit it, and I’m sorry if I made you feel like you had to reject me because you thought I would be uncomfortable. None of it is your fault. It’s mine for not understanding you better and I can’t say how sorry I am for that.”

 

Jongin rubs his eyes from his tears. “S’okay.” He stares down at his feet for a few seconds, his cheeks dusted a light pink. “I’ve liked you for a while too.”

 

Kyungsoo his cheek for a moment before dropping his hand back at his side. They both stand in a comfortable silence, enjoying each other’s company. The situation reminds Kyungsoo of the atmosphere when they are together at the coffee house. Warm, welcoming, and calm. Kyungsoo loves this so much.

 

Jongin grins at him after a while. “So you like lemon squares?”

 

Kyungsoo blinks, looking down at his long forgotten pastries. “Oh, yeah I do.”

 

The other seems to be in a teasing mood. “Four huh?”

 

Kyungsoo flusters. “Stress eating.” Jongin sports a guilty look and Kyungsoo waves his hand. “I’m just not good with socializing.”

 

Jongin chuckles. “I’m not either, but I make do.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffs. “What are you talking about? You're totally in your element right now. The suit and tie look fits you.” Oh no Kyungsoo’s mouth is blabbering again, someone stop him please before it’s too late. Jongin raises his eyebrows before a teasing smirk grew on his lips.

 

“Minus the powdered sugar all over it right?”

 

Letting out an embarrassed whine, Kyungsoo puts his face in his hands. Jongin laughes loudly and pats his shoulder.

 

“It’s okay. It’s like art on my blazer. Very abstract, I must say. What was your inspiration?”

 

Before he can stop himself, the words spill out of his mouth. “I saw some hot guy and wanted to strike up a conversation with him so I thought ‘Hey, let me just impress him with my blowing skills’.”

 

Jongin immediately slaps his arm, giggling so much he looks like he was about to fall over. Kyungsoo bites his lip to try not to smile too hard but ultimately failed, ending up with a wide grin splayed out on his face at the sweet sound of Jongin's laughter.





 

The night ends perfectly. Jongin had offered to drive Kyungsoo home and he kindly accepted. Yixing didn’t even ask any questions, but just gave a sleazy wink, Junmyeon and Kris waved goodbye from their car before getting in and leaving.

 

The drive home is quiet except for the soft piano music playing on the radio. Kyungsoo hums the song to himself and closes his eyes. He smiles when he felt Jongin grab his hand to lace their fingers together. “You know, I may take you up on that date. If the offer's still on the table, I mean.”

 

His hand is warm and fits perfectly with Kyungsoo’s. The smaller sighs with content and opens his eyes. Jongin is still looking at the road. Kyungsoo just squeezes his hand. The latter has a eating grin because he knew that meant yes.

 

Staring down at their linked hands, Kyungsoo feels giddy. He's actually holding hands with his crush right now. He looks out the window to hide his grin as he thought back to a few hours before. After the initial icebreaker between the two, Jongin and Kyungsoo spent most of the night side by side. Their friends didn’t even question it- well Kris did but Junmyeon just elbowed his side and shushed him.

 

Later during night, Jongin asked Kyungsoo to dance with him, shyly asking for him to lead since he couldn’t hear the music. Kyungsoo just nodded happily and they danced for hours. Jongin’s hand on Kyungsoo’s waist and Kyungsoo’s hand resting in the latter’s other hand felt mesmerizing. They talked the entire time, about little to nothing at all. They didn’t really talk about their personal lives, but they made sure to keep the conversation going with whatever they could come up with.

 

The night just felt magical and Kyungsoo can’t help but to wonder if it even happened. But when he looks to Jongin next to him, he can’t help but to grin even wider, because yes, this is happening. This is real.

 

Jongin must have sense Kyungsoo looking at him since his eyes flit over to him briefly, smiling back before his eyes return to the road. “What are you over there grinning about?”

 

The smaller just giggles breathlessly. Jongin glances at him properly when they stop at a red light. “It’s nothing,” Kyungsoo says. “I’m just so happy.”

 

Jongin grins dopily. “Me too.”

 

When they finally arrive at Kyungsoo’s apartment, Jongin leaves with the other’s contact information and a beautiful heart shaped smile etched into his memory. Kyungsoo on the other hand, throws himself on his couch as soon as he shuts his door. He throws off his shoes and grabs a pillow, hugging it tightly and squealing like a teenage girl.

 

His phone dings from inside his pocket and he flips it out, entering the passcode and tapping on the message.

 

From: Jongin

‘Thank you for coming with Lay to see me today.’

 

Another message comes in.

 

From: Jongin

‘And for future reference, to get my attention you don’t have to show me your blowing skills. You can just text me instead ;)’

 

Kyungsoo snorts. He did not just say that.

 

To: Jongin

‘Noted.”

 

Sighing out happily, Kyungsoo lays upside down on the couch and blows a raspberry. He glances at his clock on the wall. It read four a.m., but he's still wide awake. Kyungsoo closes his eyes and thinks back to holding Jongin’s hand in the car.

 

Today is definitely a good day.




 


 

A/N: 

Happy belated chuseok! It has been like 2 weeks since I first posted this story so I figured it's time for an update. Also thank you for subscribing! It means a lot!