i/iii

Coffee Hearts

Kyungsoo has always hated coffee.

 

With the sweet tooth he has, sugar is usually an answer to everything. But not for coffee.

 

The bitter taste just makes his stomach flip. Just one sip makes him gag, but yet, his favorite place is the small coffee shop down the street from the book store he works at. Maybe it’s the rustic decorations that Kyungsoo finds himself mesmerized by whenever he’s there or the cute barista that he stares at just as much.

 

 

Originally, Kyungsoo had discovered the place when a guy took him there for a first date. Kyungsoo had insisted that they go somewhere else (who wants to start gagging on their date because of some dumb drink?) but it was all in vain. The other dragged him in the small coffee shop, bouncing from foot to foot with excitement.

 

Chanyeol was a nice guy but it would have never worked out. He had four cats and Kyungsoo is severely allergic. Kyungsoo remembers the whole date being a total bust, but the only upside was that the barista had stared at him a lot that day, as if contemplating something. Kyungsoo at first thought it was because him and Chanyeol were obviously on a date - with how flirty the giant was being it was hard to miss- but he was proved wrong when the tanned male had come over to their table, laying down two lattes.

 

‘On the house,’ he had said, winking subtly toward Kyungsoo. The smaller just sat there with his mouth open unattractively and blinked several times when the barista walked away. Kyungsoo remembers the first thing he thought was that voice. It was a deep, calming tone that rang in his ears until he heard Chanyeol grunt.

 

Kyungsoo looked back to his date at the time and saw him pout.

 

“Why do you get the cool one?” he had whined.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows furrowed and Chanyeol pointed at his cup. Kyungsoo had looked down and gasped. There was a small intricate design in the middle of the cup, a small fern with a heart towards the top. Kyungsoo glanced to Chanyeol’s cup and resisted the urge to laugh at the plain white foam floating on the top. Chanyeol huffed and made a really ugly frown, causing Kyungsoo to giggle lightly.

 

He happened to catch the barista’s gaze from behind the counter. The worker allowed a soft smile to grace his lips before turning around to wipe down the machines.



 

From then on Kyungsoo has came back every Wednesday to that very shop. Only Wednesdays though, since barista boy only works on those days. He has college classes to attend to, his co worker once told him- a boy by the name of Oh Sehun. According to Sehun, Kyungsoo’s favorite barista is an aspiring painter named Jongin. Kyungsoo found himself captivated by the latter.

 

His beautifully tanned skin and easy going smiling really fits with the cozy atmosphere the coffee shop emits. His black hair is always laying flat against his head and makes him appear more childish than he would probably want, but Kyungsoo loves that. He loves those deep, brown eyes that look at him so softly. He loves those delicate hands that make difficult patterns with ease.

 

 

What Kyungsoo loves most, though, is that small chuckle Jongin releases when he sees the amazement on Kyungsoo’s face everytime he orders a latte.

 

Kyungsoo remembers the first time he had come to the small coffee house on his own. Jongin had a strange look on his face when he peaked around the corner to see Kyungsoo giving his order to another employee at the cash register. It was almost as if he was excited to see Kyungsoo come back. Kyungsoo had moved along to the counter where he was supposed to wait for his drink. Jongin had his back turned to him, working on his order apparently. All Kyungsoo could recall was thinking ‘nice ’ before being met with a beaming Jongin.

 

He had placed the drink in front of Kyungsoo, leaning over slightly. “You’re back” he whispered.

 

Kyungsoo smiled brightly and nodded, cupping his hands around his drink. “I am.”

 

Jongin looked at him expectantly and Kyungsoo flustered. “Right sorry.” Not totally thinking about how hot the contents were, Kyungsoo took a large gulp in hopes of not throwing it up. Never in his life had he coughed up something that hard. His throat hurt so bad and he felt himself blush a deep red. Jongin panicked and frantically ran to the back room only to return with a cup of ice. Kyungsoo felt his eyes prick with tears while he waited.

 

Jongin exited the counter and rushed to Kyungsoo’s side. “Here, on these for a little. It should help.” Kyungsoo tried to swallow but stiffened at the pain. Jongin saw this and grabbed a piece of ice. He leaned in closely and pressed his finger against Kyungsoo’s plush lips. The smaller froze and stared up at Jongin, opening his mouth slightly when the other applied a small amount of pressure on his bottom lip. Jongin slipped the ice into his mouth, his finger lingering there for just a second too long before he retracted it. Kyungsoo closed his mouth immediately and looked at the ground. His ears might as well be on fire with how much he is blushing. Jongin seemed a little winded as well, but his face still showed concern.

 

He led Kyungsoo to a table close by the counter and sat him down there, saying to just call him over if he needs something else. Not that he could talk after that whole situation. He’d probably just have to flail his arms or something.

 

Kyungsoo took his time to survey the shop. No one was there but him and the employees. ‘Thank God for that.' Kyungsoo thought to himself. It was bad enough the girl at the register was sending him judging looks. He glanced at her only to notice her snickering at him. The smaller just sunk down in his seat, veheminiously on an ice cube.

 

May all your coffee burn’ he thought, watching her decide to make herself a cup.



 

You’d think that after an experience like that, Kyungsoo would never even think to show his face in that cafe again. Strangely enough, Kyungsoo went back the next week, Jongin looking at him with worry, asking if his throat was feeling better. He had made Kyungsoo another latte again, this one having adorable designs of totoro and his companions, only this time he didn’t hand it to the other right away.

 

“We’ll just let it cool first,” he had said, Kyungsoo’s face becoming heated with embarrassment. All Jongin did was smile and proceed to make other customers coffee, Kyungsoo standing there admiring the other from the other side of the counter.

 

Months pass and they have made a habit. Kyungsoo would come in, Jongin would peak around the corner and dash to make his order, a new design in the cup every time.  Kyungsoo would stand there, out of the way of other customers if there are any- waiting for his latte because Jongin still insists for it to cool before he hands it to him.

 

Kyungsoo really hates coffee, even Jongin’s latte makes his stomach turn and makes him feel sluggish for the rest of the day. Kyungsoo figures that it’s worth it in a way. After all this is the only time Kyungsoo can see the other.

 

When Jongin gives him his latte, he takes a sip because he knows Jongin wants to see if he likes it. He tries not to grimace at the bitter taste and puts on his best smile because he wants Jongin to know that he enjoys it. Maybe not the coffee itself, but he enjoys the effort the taller puts into the beautiful art decorating the top. And when he sees Jongin beam back at him, he makes a decision.

 

He really needs to ask Jongin out because he doesn’t know how much more lattes he can take before his body retaliates.





 

“One latte please,” the girl at the register pops her gum and puts in the order. She looks bored as she hands Kyungsoo his cash back.

 

“Thank you come again,” she says, voice monotone.

 

Kyungsoo used to feel offended but he’s grown accustomed to the treatment. He sees movement farther behind the employee. Kyungsoo immediately smiles as he caught sight of Jongin’s popping his head around the corner, eyes widening when Kyungsoo waves at him. He waves back excitedly and disappears.

 

Kyungsoo lets out a low chuckle and strolls over to the usual place he waits at the counter. Today was a bit different, Kyungsoo notices. He hadn’t realized it right away, but Jongin’s hair had been dyed from his natural brown to a light pink. Kyungsoo feels his throat go dry because he just looks so damn cute. The latter turns around with a mischievous smile and sets down Kyungsoo’s latte in front of him, saying a small “here you go”. Kyungsoo is so entranced by Jongin’s new hair he doesn't even reach out for the cup.

 

Jongin’s stare is intense, like usual. Kyungsoo feels his heart race as he gets the sudden urge to run his hands through those strawberry locks. “You dyed it,” he mumbles.

 

Jongin’s gaze drops to the other’s lips, stare still just as intense. “Hm?”

 

“Your hair. You dyed it.”

 

Jongin beams. “You noticed!”

 

The smaller chuckles. “Of course I noticed.”

 

Jongin scratches the back of his neck. “I wasn’t sure if you would. My co worker didn’t even bat an eyelash.” Kyungsoo glances at the girl at the register.

 

“She probably wouldn’t have noticed if the entire shop caught on fire to be honest.”

 

Jongin’s laugh is a little delayed, as if he had to think about what Kyungsoo had said, but his laugh was loud and obnoxious. Kyungsoo feels himself laughing as well.

 

“I hope you enjoy your coffee....” Jongin looks hesitant.

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin smiles apologetically. “Right. Sorry. Well I have to get back to work now.”

 

Kyungsoo nods, taking his cup. He looks at Jongin’s deflated shoulders as he turns around and faces the machine. When he listens closely he can hear little mumbles of “why can’t you ever get it right” as he aggressively cleans the equipment. Kyungsoo sighs.

 

Some days are like this. Kyungsoo really doesn’t know what to think about it. Jongin seems genuinely interested in him, but he can never remember the other’s name. Well, Kyungsoo thinks he can remember it, but for some reason he is afraid to say it. As if he doesn’t want to say it wrong and offend the other. Kyungsoo can’t really fathom why his name would be such trouble for the other male. He has a pretty average name for your average Korean male. It’s not like it is that hard to pronounce either, he’s heard much worse.

 

Kyungsoo sometimes feels like asking, but that might upset the barista. Jongin is a very quiet kid, that much is obvious. Multiple times he had tried to approach Jongin, trying to make conversation while leaning on the counter. Jongin only seems to glance at him- a kind glance, no irritation evident in those warm, brown orbs- and then prepares his latte. Sometimes they have small conversations like the one they shared today- but it is unusual.

 

It’s almost like Jongin shies away from it. Kyungsoo figures maybe it’s the artist in him since Sehun did say he paints. Most artists are very quiet so maybe that’s why Jongin is always so mute. But that still doesn’t explain why Jongin doesn’t like to say his name.

 

Looking down at his latte, a warm smile bloomed on his face. the foam was raised, making it appear as if a cat is popping out just to smile up at Kyungsoo. Obviously Jongin cares about Kyungsoo in some way. People don’t go through this much trouble to give someone a simple drink. Even the other cups Jongin makes for customers are plain, no pictures decorating the top. That has to mean something right?

 

Kyungsoo feels his phone vibrate in his pocket. He shifts in his seat to reach in his pocket to grab it. The notification is a text from Kyungsoo’s best friend, Yixing.

 

From: Layicorn

'So how did it go?? Did he say yes??’

 

Kyungsoo’s breath hitches. He almost forgot to ask.

 

To: Layicorn

‘Hold on. I haven’t asked yet.’

 

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath, his heart beating a bit faster as he thinks about how to approach the barista. Kyungsoo, being the good friend he is, of course told Yixing all about his little crush. Yixing in turn helped Kyungsoo come up with a plan to help the wide eyed male ask the other on a date. The plan was simple. Go up and casually ask when he gets off work then tell him they should catch some street food or something.

 

His phone buzzes once again.

 

From: Layicorn

‘Well hurry up. You don’t want to be drinking coffee for the rest of your life while you low key stalk this guy right?’

 

He’s right. Kyungsoo really needs to do this. He just worries because he really doesn’t know how Jongin will react. Just as he stood up from his chair to go approach the male in question, a flash of light pink hair went right by him and out the door of the cafe.

 

Jongin is gone.





 

Kyungsoo really doesn’t know why he ran after the other. He could have just waited one more week since it seems like Jongin is really in a rush to get somewhere. He's right on his heels though, trying to yell his name as he zoomed past some local bystanders. Can he not hear Kyungsoo shouting?

 

Not really being the athletic type at all, Kyungsoo knows he won't last running much longer. He thanks the high heavens when Jongin skids to a halt at an intersection, tapping his foot as he stared at the stop light. Kyungsoo comes to a stop as well, still standing behind the other. His huffing is loud and people are staring. All except Jongin, who seems to be in his own little bubble at the moment. Kyungsoo groggily calls his name again, but he still stares ahead. When Kyungsoo gently puts a hand on his shoulder, Jongin whirls around. He lets out a yelp when he notices it was Kyungsoo, eyes wide.

 

He looks worried as he puts a hand on Kyungsoo’s back. "What are you doing here? Are you okay?"

 

Kyungsoo is panting hard, nearly doubling over from the excursion. “I-uh.”

 

Jongin continues staring as he let the smaller male catch his breath. Kyungsoo coughs and straightens up as soon as he has his breathing under control. When he makes eye contact with Jongin, he feels his heart picking up in an anxious rhythm. “I just wanted to ask you something- if you’re not busy of course!”

 

Of course he’s busy you idiot! He was just running like his life depended on it!

 

Jongin squints. “Okay. What’s wrong?”

 

Kyungsoo waves his hands frantically. “Oh nothing’s wrong! I just- uhm.”

 

He his lips when he notices Jongin watching his mouth. “I wanted to know if you would go on a date." He pauses. “With me.”

 

It's quiet between the two of them- the streets around them alive but not obnoxiously so. The cars at the intersection and people’s conversations around them joining together as white noise. Kyungsoo would have found it oddly romantic in a sense, just the two of them standing there- staring intensely at each other. That is, if it weren’t for the flash of panic that flashes in Jongin’s eyes.

 

Jongin suddenly looks mildly uncomfortable and insecure which confuses Kyungsoo to no end. Had he read the signs wrong? Jongin takes a step back, his gaze on the ground. He seems speechless at the moment.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I don’t think-” Jongin looks up slowly, his expression looking miserable.

 

Kyungsoo mistakes it for guilt.

 

“It can’t happen.”

 

Without hesitation Jongin runs across the intersection, cars honking at him when he got in their way. And just like that, he disappears.

 

 

 

 

 


So I just want to make it clear that Jongin is okay??? Like in the sense he didn't get run over?? My friend read this chapter and was like 'did Jongin just fling himself in front of cars?' Yes but only to run away I assure you he is fine. If you ever have questions and stuff for my fic just go here x and ask away.