Once and For All

Polar.

Things were going well for the couple. February had passed and so had half of March. Mingyu was still grieving his mother's death, he was only 18 so it was extremely difficult dealing with such an enormous loss. He was lost or the first few weeks, but he learned to depend on his brothers' for support, but most especially his loving boyfriend, Jeon Wonwoo. Wonwoo's parents already treated Mingyu like their son, so it was almost expected when they offered the orphaned boy to move in with them. Mingyu politely declined and decided he would just move into a small solo-condo and live by himself. He didn't want to burden his boyfriend and his parents by living with them as their second son. It took a while for Mingyu to settle in to his new apartment. The boys helped him move in, and Wonwoo's parents helped with the selling of the small house he used to call home. But for the most part, within a couple of weeks, Mingyu managed to transition and settle in. He visited his mother's grave daily, and visited Seokmin's while he was there. And so, they were mid-way into March when an event occured that wasn't necessarily surprising, or all that sudden. This event was expected, yet still kind of caught the boys off guard, but they all knew this was bound to happen, one day. And, well, looks like that today was today. 

It was a Sunday evening, the sky was painted with beautiful shades of orange and purple which harmonized to become a gorgeous sunset. Mingyu was still not back to his usual, gleeful self. It would take a while for anyone to overcome such a loss, so the boys respected that. However, that one night, just a group of Jihoon, Soonyoung, Seungcheol and Mingyu were hanging out at the base. They were talking about nothing really serious, they were just supporting Mingyu through this difficult time, considering he rarely left the base, as he felt lonely at his apartment. Their tall leader wasn't feeling his best, sure, he was smiling and chuckling at their jokes, but they could tell that today he just wasn't at his best. 

And so, they were just chatting when they heard a knock at the door. Mingyu turned to look, and when the knocks continue he finally got up and opened the door. 

Oh, you've got to be ing kidding me..

The open door reveals someone with a disgustingly familiar smirk on his face. 

"Yo, Mingyu-ah!" the familiar voice of Sungwon says, cheerfully, making Mingyu sick to his stomach as he runs his tongue across the bottom of his teeth, not vocalizing anything as he hears the boys behind him start to get up from the couch, and make their way to his side.

 

It was about 9PM when Wonwoo's phone suddenly went off as he was doing some last minute studying, preparing for a test in the upcoming week. He was highlighting some important text, sitting at his desk, the lamp on, illuminating the textbooks open in front of the Class President. His phone went off, buzzing and vibrating on the desk, interrupting his silence and concentration. He thought it was Mingyu calling just to talk, like they usually did, but he was surprised when his phone displayed not his boyfriend's number, but his best friend's boyfriend's. The boy swiped the screen, and brought the phone up to his ear,

"Hey, Minghao-ah?" Wonwoo said, curious as to why he was receiving a call from someone that he never talked to on the phone.

"Wonwoo-ah," Minghao replied, and his voice sounded shaky and he seemed out of breath. Wonwoo assumed that maybe he had been running, or something,

"What're you doing right now, are you free?" he continued.

"Uh, yeah, I guess, I'm just studying... Why?" Wonwoo asked, having not received a reason for this call, yet.

"Do you think you could leave the house right now?" 

Wonwoo turned around in his chair, and looked at the clock hanging in his room, upon seeing the time he contemplated leaving the house.

"I-I guess I could, wait- Minghao, why? What's this about?" he said, still uncertain about if he could leave, and if he even wanted to.

"U-uh, well, don't panic, it's nothing that serious," Minghao said, having the opposite effect as Wonwoo immediately became worried, unsettling thoughts rushed through his head,

"What? Why, what happened? What's wrong? Did something happen to Mingyu-"

"Wonwoo-ah, I said don't panic" Minghao said, chuckling on the other line, "Mingyu's fine, don't worry.. It's just.." his voice trailed off,

"Could you meet us at the station?" he continued. Wonwoo thought he heard wrong, so he repeated for clarification,

"Meet you where? The base?" he said, getting up from his seat, and walking to his closet,

"No, Wonwoo-ah. Meet us at the station," Wonwoo stopped walking, hearing the location clearly,

"Mingyu kind of got arrested..."

Wonwoo almost dropped his phone at the words coming from the other line.

"So, could you-"

"I'll be there." Wonwoo interrupted Minghao and quickly ended the call as he went to go get ready to leave the house. It was already dark outside, so Wonwoo was kind of nervous walking to the station alone. He told his parents honestly where he was going, and that he would probably call if the situation turns out to be really serious. He assured his parents not to worry, but that's kind of difficult when your son and his boyfriend are in a police station, even if they may not be contained. 

Wonwoo wore black sweatpants with a grey hoodie, topped off with a black leather jacket. He put on his hood and tightened the strings to keep his face warm from the cold. As he was walking to the station he bit his lower lip as he thought of all the worst case scenarios that would lead to Mingyu being detained.

Did he murder someone? Maybe he stole something? Maybe he finally cracked after being upset about his mother's passing? 

Whatever the reason was, the Class President treaded lightly and dreadingly as he made his way to the station. 

The boy got there after a few short minutes and as he pushed open the class door, he walked inside into the unfamiliar building. He had never been in a police station before, he had no reason to. But it didn't take him long to find where his boyfriend was. Wonwoo turned to his right and infront of a police officer's desk was 2 boys that Wonwoo recognized, and slightly behind them were 3 other boys that Wonwoo also knew. He walked closer, and looked in from the doorway, staring at his boyfriend. Mingyu was seated in one of the chairs infront of the police officer who didn't look too pleased. Mingyu was tapping his leg, impatiently. His face was bruised, and his eyes were cold, and Wonwoo recognized those eyes. Those eyes were the ones that he saw that one night in the alley which contained no sympathy, and Wonwoo almost want to believe that Mingyu could look so terrifying. But, the couple made eye contact, Mingyu finally spotting the boy at the door. His eyes instantly softened, as a sad smile formed on his face. Wonwoo smiled back, but that grin disappeared when he took in who was sitting beside him. 

In the chair to Mingyu's right was Sungwon, his face also beat up quite horribly. Sungwon noticed Wonwoo and gave a smug smirk, then winked which made Wonwoo want to throw up.

"Now listen, boys.. You guys are 18, right? You should be able to work things out without resorting to violence..." the man behind the desk started talking. 

"We've had bad blood for 2 years, been fighting for the same length of time... Why stop us now?" Sungwon asked, and Wonwoo cringed just simply hearing the boy's voice.

Wonwoo was also curious for the answer to the question that often crossed his mind of why they were never caught up in the police before. The man behind the desk sighed and reached for something in his pocket, and then placed a serrated knife on his desk, infront of the 2 boys. Wonwoo noticed Mingyu's body tense up as he looked at the weapon, and Sungwon cowered into his seat ever so slightly.

"Fist fights are common among boys your age.. Hormones and puberty, girls, all these things can cause fights among boys, and it's common..." the man said with a friendly smile, but it faded away as he started to tap the desk beside the knife.

"But it's when things like this get involved in your fights, that we get involved too..."

Mingyu and Sungwon stared at the man, who surprisingly wasn't treating them like trash like they expected police officers to do. The man picked up the knife and held it in his hand,

"This knife. You can take someone's life with this, you know that right?" Mingyu bit his lower lip, and Wonwoo's heart dropped at the man mentioning the subject. 

"Yes, sir, I know that." Mingyu surprisingly vocalized a reply, that surprised even the officer. 

"These things are dangerous, and if they end up in the wrong hands, they could end someone's life. People as young as you guys die on the street fighting..."

"I'm also aware of that, sir.. I know that people die when people like us are involved. I know that idea all too well."

The police officer eyed Mingyu who was looking back at him with peculiar eyes. Mingyu's eyes were cold, yet at the same time they were the eyes of a fragile boy who's been through too much. 

"Have you lost someone close to you?" the officer suddenly asked, and Sungwon looked up from his lap. The boys behind them, Minghao, Jihoon and Soonyoung changed their stance, awkwardly. 

"Either of you. Have you lost someone close to you?" he asked again, looking around the room.

Mingyu and the boys obviously nodded, while Sungwon and Wonwoo remained motionless. Wonwoo was just standing beside the doorway now, facing the scene. 

"So, you guys should know how fragile life is... Why do you guys fight, hm? For the title? For the pride? For the fame, for the reputation?" the man was speaking to them, wisely. 

"10 years from now, will you really be proud to announce that you killed or beat up a couple of people when you were a teen, because you were a gangster? When you die, do you think people will want to remember you as someone who fought on the streets?" 

The boys listened, sincerely. The group known as 'The Kings', those boys weren't bad people. And despite being a complete jackass, maybe Sungwon had something going on with him too.

"Everyone has their own story, and there's a reason why people act the way they do, but sometimes we forget that. So, I'm not going to pretend like I know what you boys have been through, because I truly believe you boys are good, young men..." the man behind the desk said while nodding his head. Suddenly the man pointed straight at Mingyu,

"You."  Mingyu looked at him, his eyes no longer cold, but confused. "What do you want to do in the future?" 

Mingyu stared, honestly not knowing an answer. His present has just been so difficult and stressful that he never really thought about the future. 

"I-I don't know, sir." Mingyu replied, politely. Hearing such a respectful tone made Minghao chuckle slightly. 

"That's okay not to know, you're still young..." he said, leaning back on his chair, "But I'm 30 years old, and I can tell you, honestly. That the one thing you should aim for in life, is happiness. You understand that boys? I'm sure you all have bright futures ahead of you... So don't you dare let me have to detain you again, you understand me?" he said, getting up from his chair and placing his hands on his hips, his stance as if he were scolding his own sons. 

Mingyu and Sungwon hesitantly got up, and bowed towards the police officer,

"Yes, sir." Mingyu replied, while Sungwon just remained quiet. 

"Since you guys are 18, I'm not obligated to call your parents, but I will inform them about your detainment tonight." the man  pulled out a drawer in his desk, and took out a notepad along with a pen, he clicked it open and placed it on the page, prepared to write.

"What's your parents' contact information?" 

Mingyu looked at Sungwon, who looked back at him and just shrugged then proceeded to say,

"My mom's name is Hae Jisun, you can reach her at..." Sungwon's voice trailed off in Mingyu's mind as he thought about how would answer the question he would probably be asked in the next few seconds.

"And you?" the man asked, looking up at Mingyu as he leaned over the pen and paper,

"My mother passed away last month." he said, and Sungwon looked at him, surprised. Mingyu kept his eyes on the man who stared back at him. 

"I'm sorry to hear that..." he said after a few seconds of silence, and Mingyu just nodded.

"How about your dad?" Wonwoo and Minghao wanted to cringe at the sensitive aspects of Mingyu's life being brought up all at once, by a man who honestly and innocently had no idea. 

Mingyu scoffed, disgusted at the thought of the man he biologically would call his 'father',

"You can tell him. He's in your care, I'm not sure what cell number though." 

The man awkwardly cleared his throat as he unclicked the pen, and placed it on top of the notepad that only had 1 of the 2 boys' contact information. After a few more words, he lets the boys off,

"This should be the first and last time I'll take you guys in here, got that?" the man ended off on that note. 

Wonwoo took in the letters on his nametag that labeled the man who was honestly a good man. Lee Jung Hyeon. The name stood out to Wonwoo, as the police officer who spoke to Mingyu, not as a delinquent, but as a young teenage boy, who maybe just happened to get into trouble. 

After they let go, Mingyu and Sungwon shared one last staredown, before Sungwon backed down and left. Wonwoo immediately approached Minghao and Mingyu who were standing with the 2 other boys,

"Yah, Minghao... There is a very significant difference between being arrested and being taken in for questioning, or interrogation." Wonwoo said, his voice expressing how concerned he was.

Minghao scratched the back of his head and with an apologetic smile said,

"Yeah, sorry.. That's why I said kinda, and told you not to worry!" 

Before Wonwoo could completely flip out on Minghao for the miscommunication, he remembered why he was there. He quickly turned to look at Mingyu, who he just gave a dissappointed look to, then began walking away. Mingyu was confused as to why Wonwoo was upset, so he followed. 

"Babe," Mingyu called out on the sidewalk, Wonwoo walked ahead of him and not stopping or even slowing down. After no response, Mingyu jogged up to him, and grabbed onto his wrist, making him turn around,

"Babe, what's wrong? Why're you upset?" Mingyu asked, not allowing Wonwoo to turn away or keep walking. Wonwoo stared up at his boyfriend who's face was all cut up and bruised, and his eyes practically screamed suffering. 

"Why'd they take you in, Mingyu-ah? Why were the police involved, and why was Sungwon there?" Wonwoo asked.

Mingyu then went on to briefly explained that Sungwon had decided to attack again. The fight started out at the base, like it usually did, but ended up on the streets in public view. So, some woman decided to call the police and report the violence, thus resulting in them being taken in. 

"Mingyu-ah..." Wonwoo began after listening to the backstory of tonight's events. 

"You promised you would make your mom proud, right?"

Mingyu stared back, blankly. Kind of hurt that his boyfriend would bring this up after just getting out of the police station, but he just nodded in reponse.

"So, then please, please stop fighting..." Wonwo said, and the taller heard the sincerity in his voice, "Do you think ending up in jail will make her proud? Do you think you ending up in the same place as that monster you used to call dad, will make her smile?"

"Wonwoo-ah..." was the only thing Mingyu could say,

"And I'm sorry if I sound selfish, but I don't want to lose you..." Wonwoo said.

The couple stared at each other for a few moments, and the taller noticed the tears b the shorter's eyes. All he could do was hug him, as he could tell that Wonwoo was suffering, too. Mingyu wrapped his arms around the Class President, and for the sake of him, his own, and maybe their future together, he made a resolve then and there to stop fighting. Mingyu ended up spending the night at Wonwoo's, fully welcomed by the Jeon parents, who Mingyu told the story to, surprising his boyfriend that he would open up to people so quickly. But then again, they weren't just any people, they were Wonwoo's parents. 

The next day at school went by normally, Wonwoo finished his test confidently, and saw Mingyu's confused and distraught face while walking back to his desk, after handing it in, making him chuckle slightly. Mingyu noticed, and looked up from the test paper, his eyebrows still furrowed and srunched up his nose at his boyfriend who was mocking him.

That day, Mingyu went back to the base, knowing his brothers would be there. He decided he would make an announcement.

"Yah, boys, listen to me for a sec, yeah?" he said, causing the chaos to calm down, and naturally the boys' attention was directed at their leader.

"I'm thinking we should deal with Sungwon, once and for all.." he said. The boys just stared up, slightly surprised at Mingyu's words. Their faces started to get serious, and Mingyu recognized that those faces meant their fighting mode, so he laughed and said,

"No, no, nothing serious like that...."

"So then how are we dealing with him?" 

Mingyu spread his arms out across the couch,

"Any ideas, boys?" 

"We can fight, like we usually do," LeeChan suggested,

"Get him arrested?" Minghao suggested, and all the boys turned to look at him. "What? It's not like the dude doesn't have any charges..." 

The idea drifted away,

"Wanna talk to him?" Jihoon said, surprising the group, but for some reason Mingyu gave a satisfied look. 

The group of 10 boys ended up going to Sungwon's house, Minghao knowing the address since they used to go to the same school. Mingyu knocked on the door, and it took a couple of minutes before Sungwon opened it, but for some reason he didn't look the same. He didn't look all cocky and full of himself like he did on the streets, the view in front of the boys was cowardly. 

"What do you want?" he said, just a little bit higher than a whisper, and before Mingyu could answer, a man from inside the house yelled,

"Who the Hell is at the door?!"

Sungwon exhaled, and gritted his teeth as he shut his eyes tightly,

"Just some friends.", he lied. Mingyu gave a peculiar face, and the boys exchanged glances of curiosity.

"Friends?" the man yelled, "Hah! What good-for-nothing like you would have friends? Close the door, it's getting cold!"

Mingyu could feel himself wanting to storm inside and beat up the man who wasn't joking, more like emotionally abusing the boy infront of him.

"What do you want?" Sungwon ignored the request,

"I wanted to talk-" Mingyu was interrupted by the name who screamed,

"I said close the ing door!" 

"Sorry, not the best timing." Sungwon said, almost laughing as he did so. Mingyu was going to object but then he heard angry footsteps approaching the door, and then Sungwon said,

"I gotta go.", hurriedly he shut the door as Mingyu heard the man say,

"God, you idiot, why can't you even understand-"

The boys stood outside the door, slightly shocked. 

Ever since that day, it was almost an unspoken rule, an unspoken understanding between 'The Kings' and whatever Sungwon's pack would be called. They didn't mess with each other anymore, but Mingyu and his brothers swore to never forget what he had done to Seokmin. And that if he ever declared another all out fight again, that they wouldn't hold back. 

But for the most part, Sungwon and The Kings didn't fight, and for the most part, put their past behind them. Mingyu was reflecting on that officer's words about life. What did he want to do? What about his future? And turns out that Sungwon did have a story, a reason that Mingyu had no idea about. In a way, Sungwon was like Mingyu, but the difference was Sungwon was still suffering from the abuse, in the present. It still didn't excuse any of the horrible things Sungwon had done, but Mingyu decided to dismiss it, and wait for karma to get him. He decided the best revenge would be success and happiness.

And so, that's what Mingyu decided to aim for in life. Aim for success and happiness, and once and for all, put the 'delinquent' and violent side of his life, behind him.

It was time to look forward, and move on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

so, here's chapter 28! OH AND;

HAPPY 2 MONTH ANNIVERSARY WITH POLAR!!!!

Thank you so much for those of you who have been on this 2 month journey with me! All my old and new subscribers, readers and commenters; THANK YOU SOO MUCH. I LOVE YOU GUYS. LIKE. A WHOLE LOT. AND YOU GUYS MEAN EVERYTHING TO ME. ♡♡♡♡♡

Anyway! (: lol, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Sorry if it was slightly filler-ish and boring? LMAO but yeah! I'm thinking of ending this story in a few chapters, just letting you guys know. When it gets around the final chapter, I'll tell you guys! ANYWAY; I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Subscribe, upvote, comment & whateverrrrrr

Lmao; seriously, tho! Comment your thoughts on this chapter, the story so far! I honestly LOVE reading them, some of them are hilarious. LMAO, subscribe to keep updated! And Upvote if you enjoy this story! 

Thank you guys, so much for the 18k views, 1k subscribers, AND 2 MONTHS OF THIS STORY.

I love you guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'll try and update soon, until then, PEACE - Zen.