Who Are We 2/2

Lost Stars


"I didn't know you were in New York" Haneul was the first to speak up. "I'm here for a vacation actually" Jongdae told her. "That's nice. Kris and Tffany thought of the same. If you are here three weeks later then you'll probably get to meet them" she told him, straightening out her dress. "I should. Haven't seen either of them in a long time" Jongdae told her. "We've all been busy" she added.

"Ma'am, your table is ready" the maitre'd said, knocking on the door. "I should go" Haneul said standing up. "It was nice meeting you" Jongdae told her. "Yeah. Have fun during the vacation" she said with a small smile before leaving the room. Fate was cruel to her. Why Jongdae? Why now? She was having such a wonderful day too. She put him out of her mind firmly. She had a lunch to go to. And dealing with Tao and Yuri's manipulative schemes to get her to date Jongin was another thing she would need her concentration for.

 

 

 

"Tao?" Haneul called. "Yeah?" he replied, getting up from the couch. "The manager is waiting to give you a tour. Jongin can go too if he likes. You'll probably have to get health masks. Lots of fibre filaments in the air from the unloading earlier. I almost died in there" she told them. "I'll wait this one out" Jongin said. "Feel free to use my office if you need Miss Kim" the manager said, leading Tao out of the office. The office was a simple spare room towards the back of the warehouse that was rented out to Haneul's company. They used it to store fabrics that were imported in or bought to be supplied to fashion houses.

"Getting inspired while looking at clothes is Tao's thing" Jongin said. "I know what you mean" Haneul agreed. She had seen it in action whenever Tao was around fabrics. The man was a genius. He could design effortlessly no matter what the colour or material and he knew what looked good on what body type. But his work process could seem crazy if you didn't understand it. Haneul was tired after the long work day and then meeting Jongdae and then the lunch and finally the warehouse work. All she had to do was look over the receipts for the new shipment. Then she could go home and sleep.

"Haneul?" Jongin called out to her. Haneul looked up from the desk. "Yes?" she asked him. The awkwardness between the two of them hadn't gone yet. "Can we talk for a moment?" he asked her. "Sure" Haneul said, wondering what this could be about. "Well, I wanted to apologise. We started off on the wrong foot and I realise I was out of line" he apologised. "You acted down right crazy. You know that right?" she asked him, with an eyebrow raised. "Yeah. You know what they say. Writers are a crazy lot" he laughed. "I didn't think it was actually true" Haneul said, easing up a little bit. "Well, maybe I'm the only crazy one. How about I invite you to dinner to make up for it? I t doesn't have to be a date. Tao definitely doesn't have to know" Jongin said. "Give me some time to think about it?" Haneul asked him. "Sure" he said, leaning back on the couch he was sitting on. Haneul nodded to herself, busying herself in the papers once again.

 

 

"You rarely call" Kris said, picking up his phone. It was lunch time already and he had given everyone a break. The shoot was mostly done for the day, so he was free to head home. "I know. But it's been a crazy day" Haneul replied. "How's Australia?" "Crazy hot. I think I have actually tanned. Steph said I looked orange from the last photo I sent her" he laughed. "Going native I see" she chucled. "Well, from a yellow Asian to an orange Australian. I could do worse, eh mate?" he said in a horrible accent that had Haneul laughing. "You sound awful. They'll deport you just for that bad accent" she laughed. "I'm too y to be deported" he said smugly. "Only if Tiffany was the judge" she retorted.

"So what's up on your end?" he asked her. "Crazy stuff. One of my friends Yuri is getting married. You probably remember her. My assistant but more like second in charge" she told him. "Yeah, I remember her. The one who could be a model" he recounted. "She has liked you forever for that compliment. Well she is getting married and I am the maid of honour. I have no clue what to do" she told him. "That's simple. On the wedding day, just sneak her some alcohol so she doesn't bolt. Not enough to make her pass out. And look uglier than her on purpose so she looks prettier" he told her with a grin. "You're horrible" she said with a huff. "I'm the groom. You should be asking a bride, aka Tiffany or Jessica who was her maid of honour" he told her. "I don't even remember asking you for the advice. But I will ask Tiffany. You guys still coming to New York?" she asked him. "Yeah. Tiffany is looking forward to shopping with you" Kris said with a shudder. "Just leave her your credit card and chill in your room" she .

"So I met Jongdae today" she said offhandedly. "In New York?" Kris asked, surprised. "Yeah. He's on vacation. I ran into him by accident" she told him. "What happened?" he asked, unscrewing a bottle of soda open. "Not much. It was just pretty awkward. That wasn't what was bugging me though" she said, lying down on her couch. "No?" he asked, keeping the surprise from his voice. Jongdae not being on Haneul's mind was  development. A positive development but unexpected because she usually was... thoughtful... after such meetings.

"Remember the guy everyone was trying to set me up? Well, he asked me out for dinner. It's not a date or something and I haven't said yes technically but he still did ask" she told him. "About time. Make it a date. But wait. Do I know this guy?" Kris asked her. "Kim Jongin. Famous Korean writer. Don't know if you've heard of him" she said jokingly. "Wow. What's with you and celebrities?" he joked. "I don't know. I must be irresistable to them" she said. She chuckled but he could sense the orry behind it.

"You're scared" he concluded. "I'm just worried that everyone will blow it out of proportion. It's too much of a headache really" she confessed. "That's their problem. You should give the guy a chance. Although I'm pretty sure he was gay, the last time I checked" Kris said. "No one mentioned anything about that. Would make my life a whole lot easier" she grumbled. "Well, give it a shot. Worse case scenario, he is the love of your life and everyone says I told you so. Best case, you stay friends. It's a win win situation" he shrugged. "I know. I know, it's just. It happened right after seeing Jongdae. The timing was horrible" she said wth a sigh. "Some time, things take a while before we can judge them to be good or bad. Call the guy. And next time call Tiffany for guy advice."