The Broken leg

The Notebook

Leo dropped the heavy box on the new wooden floor.

He puffed as he dropped down on his leather couch.

Moving the small notebook away from him, he placed a chips bag onto his lap.

It was a hot sunny day, and Leo had just moved into a new neighborhood with his cat  ‘ Honey ‘ , who was only a few months old.

He needed to move closer to his work, because driving for two hours a day to work and back everyday was not working for him.

There was a knock on the door.

A woman stood there with her two year old baby girl aside her.

“Oh Hello, I’m Mr. Read, your new neighbor. I live next door. I saw you moved in and I just wanted to give a warm welcome to you.” She handed him the fruit bowl while smiling warmly at him.

Of course Leo thanked her.

" You have such such a small voice, you know." Leo nodded.

“Is there a restaurant nearby here, I didn’t have time to unpack my pots, and I didn’t necessarily bring any food with me.” The lady nodded .

“Oh there’s a small restaurant a few blocks up ahead, the people that work there are really nice.” She hinted as she wrote down the address on a paper.

Leo thanked the lady one last time before she left back home.

“Are you hungry, Honey?’  He asked her as he picked her up and placed her in his shirt.

Leo then proceed to ride his bike throughout the city sidewalks.

 

At the red light, A young man stopped his car on the side of the road .

He started having a conversation over the phone, but the boy started walking into the street slowly.

Leo quickly took notice of the other boy’s actions.

There was a truck headed towards the boy, but the boy didn’t notice since he was in deep conversation with the person on at the end of the line.

Leo ran and pushed the  boy onto the sidewalk.

The boy screamed and Leo heard a bone crack.

Another boy jumped out the car and ran towards the other.

"Gege, are you alright? " This one spoke fluent  chinese.

"Oh my god, you broke your leg." The older one groaned and looked towards Leo. While the other one called an ambulance for him.

"I'm so sorry, I was trying to help." Leo hoped they could understand and not think that he  purposely broke his leg.

"It's Okay, see the ambulance are already here." He smiled.

Leo sighed and checked to see if  'Honey' was alright,  fortunately she was perfectly intact and hadn't manage to escape from the chaos.

After a few seconds The boy  was in the ambulance truck and were driving away to the nearest hospital.

Leo hadn't been invited to join them the truck, but he followed behind on his bike, since he thought it would have been pretty weird if he wasn't there and he was the one who broke the other's leg.

Leo entered the hospital determined to find the man in the suit, but to his disappointment, the man had already been assigned to a room in the large expensive hospital.

Unsure  what the man's name was, Leo insisted on finding him and apologize once more for the damage.

"Excuse me but, there was a guy that checked in here a few minutes ago, I'm not sure what his name was but , he was wearing a suit and he had a broken leg." Leo laughed nervously.

The lady scrunched her face at him and started eyeing his position.

"First things first buddy, there more than fifteen men  with broken legs that come here Okay, I don't know every single one of them. And there is a 'No pets ' rule, so  get that dingy cat out of here. This is a higher class hospital so I think you came to the wrong place, so go back to Korea or wherever you came from."  She rolled her eyes.

                                                              Leo scoffed at her ignorance.

Did she really think that be because he was poorer than her, that she could insult him like that.

The nerves of her.

And just when Leo was about jump over the counter and probably choke the living daylight out of her, two men confronted him with a tap on his shoulder.

"Mr. Kris would like to see you now."

Leo gulped and quietly followed behind the two men.

He knew he was probably in lots of trouble for that, it wasn't everyday,  a middle class guy like him broke a rich guys leg. And to add on, he hardly had any money to pay  for the damage.

 

They rode an elevator to one of the highest levels.

And scrambled down the hall to a room that clearly read.

"Kris Wu. 325. V.I.P Room."

Leo gulped again as the men opened the door and let him in before closing the door.

All eyes went towards him as he took a step forward.

The doctor seemed to have glared at him, shaming   him for his  actions.

Leo just wanted to shout," would you rather him die?" But that would would upset everyone even more.

Oh why did Leo wake up today.

"Well, Mr. Wu, I'll see you tomorrow morning. " The doctor left the room.

Mr. Kris smiled at him , and motioned for him to come closer.

"You were the one that saved my life, weren't you?" Suho nodded.

"Well, I don't know how to thank you, I owe you my life!" He sat up and shook Suho's hand.

Kris nodded and patted the seat next to his bed.

"Korean right?, I could tell by your accent." He laughed.

"I'm sure you're quite hungry, how about I treat you to dinner?"

Leo loved the sound of that , but he had to get home and finish unpacking  his boxes.

"I would love to, but I have to get home and finish unpacking my work." He stood up again and bowed deeply.

Kris understood.

"Well let my brother lead you out, Mr.?"

"Leo." He finished.

"Maybe I'll see you later, Mr. Leo." Kris waved as Suho bolted out the door.

The supposed brother lead Leo back to the elevator.

"That is quite a cute kitten, boy or girl?" The boy asked Leo with a warm smile.

"Honey, and it's a girl."

The boy gasped lightly before reaching into his own pocket and pulling out a business card.

"To keep in contact with Mr.Kris."

Leo did realize something as his eyes darted to the boy's hands.

The boy was wearing white  gloves.

This was something he had seen before in many of people, he knew exactly what it was.

"Have you seen someone about your sickness?"

The boy jolted his head up and looked a bit surprised at Leo.

"It's fine, I have it in control. "  He hid his hands behind his back and stared at the floor.

" Well, here. See you tomorrow, I'll help you."

The boy once again stared at Leo, confused at what he was planning for them.

Leo wrote down the address that the older woman gave him earlier.

"I heard the food there is quite nice." Leo smiled as the elevator door opened.

"My name is Lay by the way." The boy reminded.

Leo rushed in the elevator before it closed.

This was going to be a start of a new adventure.

For the both of them.

Though Leo had his own reasons.

Only a reason you find in

The Notebook.