The Queen and a Captured General

30 Ways: SpartAce
Please log in to read the full chapter
The Queen and a Captured General Theme: #26 - If only I can make you mine Word Count: 1357

 

Her Majesty Ji Hyo the Queen, the Wise and Faithful, Lady of the Thousand Forests stifles a yawn behind the billowing sleeves of her royal attire. She unfurls the latest petition presented by her court, a silk scroll of the Chamber of Agriculture's characteristic sea green. In elegant calligraphy, the writing requests yet another increase in taxes on grain and barley to fund the ongoing war efforts. Indeed, their storehouses grows empty as the war drags on, but men drafted into fighting left precious little hands to work the field. And what would their people eat in the long season after the planting of seeds but before they could be harvested? 

 

The discussion now opened to the floor is pleasantly cut short when a eunuch rushes to the center announcing the captain’s urgent request for audience. Ji Hyo is only too glad to allow the entrance with a queenly wave of her hand. Although, her brows furrow elegantly in thought, urgent news was rarely all good.

The eunuch bows low again and scuttles backwards to the door. Almost immediately, Captain Ji quickly strides across the length of the hall and everyone’s backs go a little straighter in his wake. 

 

Captain Ji bows once to his sovereign, tucking the helmet under the crook of his arm. “Your majesty, I return from the lines north of River Han. We’ve lost about two thousand soldiers total…” The room holds its collective breath-  “but the fort of Dok-san is secured.”

 

Ji Hyo graces the older captain with a smile, and the room breathes once more.

 

“And what of Prince Lee?” The Queen’s right hand, Jeon So Min prods.

 

“Prince Lee fled with the remainder of the forces, suffering… moderate wounds. At any rate, he should not be fighting the front lines any time soon. We’ll do well to use this time to regroup and bolster our forces.” He pauses then continues slowly, “May I say something in my defense, your majesty?”

 

“Speak.”

 

“Their attack was a diversion for the prince’s escape. If there’s one thing to be gained from this, is that we have captured the general of the Eastern Army.”

 

Now that was interesting news.

The elusive general of the army of Puyeo, the Tiger of the East, infamous for his valor on the battlefield. Despite his best efforts, Tactician Yoo had yet to wrestle more than a handful of victories from the other’s claws. And to think of that great Kim Jong Kook captured- the demon general who had slain so many of her soldiers, only to be done in by his own prince. Truly laughable indeed.

 

“Bring him in.”

 

Two soldiers bring forth the man, bound hand and foot with frayed white rope of prisoners. So this was Kim Jong Kook. Hardly impressive, in her opinion. For her dear tactician and the sleepless nights he endured on her behalf, she wants him to die in the cruelest way possible. Perhaps tie him up to a wild mare to be dragged to ribbons? Or force the kind of poison down his throat that boils his insides alive?

 

Ji Hyo brings her fingers to her lips in thought for a suitable punishment, tasting the gold and precious stones there.

 

“Council will be adjourned fo

Please log in to read the full chapter