The Awards Show

30 Ways: SpartAce
Please log in to read the full chapter
Title: The Awards Show Author: s— Pairing: SpartAce Theme: #7 — superstar Disclaimer: This work is purely fictional and does not imply any actual relationship or events of any real life counterparts.

 

The 2011 SBS Entertainment Awards were a flashy affair, as usual. With a swelling heart Jae Suk noted that there were more fans and reporters rooting for their program this year, if the screams and obviously hand crafted placards were anything to go by. The show had pulled in solid ratings despite troubling times in between. By the end though, both the staff and members had slowly come together to form a well oiled machine, and things were looking up.

 

Jong Kook had been unusually quiet the whole ride—  spacing out, and twitching slightly like when Ji Hyo had accidentally bumped into him from behind a moment ago. Jae Suk was about to ask Jong Kook if he was feeling alright, catching up to the singer’s strides with brisk steps of his own until he was walking in step with him. That’s when he caught the almost wistful glance that Jong Kook threw towards the woman in front of him. There weren’t a great many things that could make Jong Kook look like that, and oh, this was going to be interesting.

 

“She does look nice today, doesn’t she?” Jae Suk clasped a hand on his shoulder, his voice low so that others couldn’t hear.

 

“Hyung, what—” Jong Kook startled slightly, his small eyes growing wider.

 

“I meant Ji Hyo, she looks nice today that’s all.” Jae Suk was tempted to tease but they were in public and Jong Kook looked like a ill masked version of a deer in headlights, so the MC decided to cut the man a break. “I’m just pointing it out. Makes it hard to believe that it’s the same woman that pulls our hair and gets down and dirty just as much as we do.”

 

“We’re all dressed up in our suits too you know,” Jong Kook said amicably but it was very clear that his head was anywhere but in the conversation.

 

The members were ushered to a table in the very front, and bid a temporary goodbye to their staff who were seated with the other crew members of other shows. Gwang Soo talked animatedly to Haha about the upgrade in treatment, and the six of them (Gary had a performance that overlapped with the awards show) settled into comfortable chit chat as the awards show progressed.

 

Jong Kook briefly thought about Joong Ki and Lizzy who couldn't be here, having suffered with them during the times of trouble yet leaving before any real rewards could be reaped for their troubles… But he was still happy for the company. The once variety newbies among them had grown up remarkably through the progression of the year and as admittedly one of the pillars of Running Man and a long time veteran of these shows, he couldn’t help but be proud of their development.

Gwang Soo had grown to be a close friend and dongsaeng, and he respected Gary who was a musician first and foremost for prioritizing his performances as a musician (like today, he thought amusedly) and pulling his weight on the show. Their group was pretty lively, but then again with the Yoo Jae Suk in their midst it was hard not to be.

And finally Jong Kook let his eyes rest on the one woman in their group. Admittedly he had done a double take when they had picked her up, wanting to say something as a friend and colleague but thinking nothing of words that were entirely too honest and made him tongue tied.

Suk Jin had complimented her, “Guess you can’t hide the fact that you’re an actress after all.” It was all Jong Kook could do to smile, nod, and let out a small noise of agreement much to Ji Hyo’s amusement.

 

He chuckled remembering how quiet she had been when they had first became acquainted, but how quickly immersed she became in the games. It had earned her the character of the Ace for her lionhearted-ness after all. And here she was again as the actress Song Ji Hyo, looking absolutely stunning in her simple black dress and her brown hair tied into an elegant bun. She was truly something.

 

“What are you laughing about, oppa?”

 

She had been talking with Gwang Soo about the people she knew among the nominees for the current award and caught Jong Kook’s laughter at the corner of her ears. It wasn’t malicious but she was curious to see what had their commander in such a good mood.

Now Gwang Soo was also interested and peered at him from over Ji Hyo’s shoulder.

 

“Ah,” Jong Kook quickly caught himself and sat up a little straighter in his chair at the two’s attention.

 

“Hyung, you’re being weird. Are you okay?” Gwang Soo asked.

 

Ji Hyo frowned slightly. “You could tell us if you’re not feeling well. I have aspirin in my purse if you need it.”

 

“...Or is it because Ji Hyo-noona is all dressed up are you’re feeling awkward?” Gwang Soo asked teasingly before Jong Kook could get a word in. Ji Hyo wasn’t entirely sure what she wanted the answer to that question to be.

 

Jong Kook shook his head, “It’s just all the variety newbies that are getting their awards reminds me of how far all of us have come.”

 

“Yeah, Gwang Soo got the New Variety Award last year, right?” Jong Kook was glad for the change in subject.

 

“Oh gosh, I was so nerv

Please log in to read the full chapter