KPOP CONFESSION #7: SNSD's New Concepts & Future

KOREA★4RANGHAE

 

 

 

 

youthink.jpg

 

I know I'm going to get hate for talking about Asia's most beloved girl group but I'm going to say it anyway: I'm not feeling SNSD anymore.

 

I already felt like SNSD was declining when Mr Mr came out. It's a nice song to listen to but it's not as great as their previous songs. SM was definitely playing it safe with SNSD. That's probably why 2NE1 beat them with "Come Back Home". I guess since SNSD is already established as the girl group queens of Kpop, they just need to release a comeback every now and then to stay relevant since they don't have to try as hard. As you see, their comebacks are getting worse and not only because the songs aren't as good, but because SNSD is no longer SNSD.

 

Since Girls' Generation are no longer girls, I see and understand why they gave them a y concept. The reason I don't like it? Because it doesn't fit them. Yes, I get it they're women, they're beautiful, they're hot, but it doesn't fit. It's kind of like seeing your daughter who you used to give lollipops to come out of nowhere wanting to become and exotic dancer or something. We aren't used to seeing SNSD do anything remotely y so it's just weird to see them do something like it. It would have been easier for me not to cringe if they did a y concept when they were in their early 20s, around 2012 at least. Then the transition would've been less awkward for me. Also, only a few members can truly pull of the concept:

 

Can:

 

  • Hyoyeon- The cute concepts never really fit Hyo in the first place. She's cute but her face and attitude fits better on the y side. I mean, have you seen her dance?
  • Yuri- The black pearl. Enough said.
  • Sooyoung- Sooyoung also has a face and body that would look better on the y side. She's petite but she's also tall so a ier concept would compliment her height.
  • Seohyun- Surprisingly. No wonder SM was trying to pass her off as the cute maknae. She can't contain her iness, especially with the dance moves they're giving her.
  • Tiffany- She's an American girl. She knows how y works. She doesn't even have to try.

 

 

Can't:

 

  • Taeyeon- Taengy is hot but I don't think she really cares or put too much effort when it comes to concepts. She honestly looks like she just wants to sing ballads.
  • Sunny- She's the aegyo queen. It's kind of hard to take her iness too seriously with a title like that.
  • Yoona- She doesn't look too y in my opinion. She fits cool concepts with cool dancing like in IGAB and CMIYC but iness like in You Think, you thought.

 

I also feel like SNSD needs to start preparing for their future and Jessica was a reality check for that. They can't go on singing pop songs forever and they can't stay in the music industry forever, especially if they don't have a strong voice. Here's my predictions on their lifes after SNSD:

 

 

 

  • Taeyeon- She has a great voice for pretty much every genre so it's no doubt that she's going to continue in the music industry and still hold the title of the OST queen. Since SM no longer has Jessica, they don't really need SNSD as a whole vocally and can still promote TTS.
  • Sunny- She doesn't seem like she cares that much about being in SNSD anymore. She looks like she wants to do more things outside of SNSD. She'll continue doing her radio show and might even have her own/become a permanent member of a variety show.
  • Tiffany- TTS; She's a great host and interviewer for foreign celebrities since she speaks English so I think she'll do that and become some sort of musical ambassador for artists around the world. I also see Tiffany going solo. She has a great voice, stage presence, and personality so that would be great. And like most celebrities, I see her do modeling.
  • Hyoyeon- Dancing and fashion. The things she loves the most. For some reason, I also see her going solo. She might become the next Lee Hyori in my opinion. She'll already have fame because she was previously in a girl group, she doesn't have the strongest voice but it's also unique, and she's a great dancer. She wasn't able to shine that much in SNSD and has the smallest fanbase in the group, but if she was to go solo, everyone would be able to see her as the queen she is.
  • Yuri- Modeling, dancing,music producer, and acting. She's gorgeous (duhh), she's the second best dancer in SNSD after Hyo, and has already been in dramas and films. She wrote and composed a song for SNSD so she could possibly work behind the scenes.
  • Sooyoung- Modeling, and a music producer. She's tall, thin, and already has connections in the modeling world. She also wrote songs and composed for SNSD as well. I see her and Yuri teaming up to become some sort of composing team like BeatBurger and NoizeBank from SM.
  • Yoona- Acting, modeling, CF queen. When she entered SM, she wasn't good at singing (still not really good), but she was good at acting and dancing. I don't see her going into dancing like Hyoyeon and Yuri since it's just something she's good at not something she necessarily wants to do in the future. Modeling and CF queen are obvious, she's the face of SNSD.
  • Seohyun- TTS; I also see her doing OSTs like Taeyeon.