GIRLS' GENERATION 소녀시대 "LION HEART" & "YOU THINK" REVIEW [MV]

KOREA★4RANGHAE

lionheart.jpg

Girls' Generation had their newest comeback with the title tracks "Lion Heart" and "You Think" for their fifth Korean album Lion Heart. Let's chat, shall we.

 

 

 

 

video_object.png

 

SONG:

SNSD's recent comebacks are getting worse and worse. The song's good but that's all it is- good. It's not a song I'm going to rush to put in my library. Hell, it isn't even going to go to my library. There's not much to say about this song. There's nothing that catches your ear when you listen to it. The lyrics were great and made since and line distribution was acceptable.

Rate: 5/10

 

 

 

MV:

 

Even though I didn't really enjoy the song that much, I liked the music video. They seem to be doing some kind of retro concept *cough* Wonder Girls *cough* . I guess SM is trying to make SNSD more mature but still keep them youthful and cute in a way. I didn't see all of the choreography in the MV but for the parts I did see, I wasn't really impressed. It was half mature/y and half childish and basic.

Rate: 7/10

 


video_object.png

 

SONG:

I like this song way better than "Lion Heart". It was something better for their ages considering they're in their mid to late 20s.

 

Even though the song is great, I couldn't help but feel a little awkward while listening to it. This song has a more hip-hop and R&B feel to it and didn't really match their voices, no matter how great they sounded. The only voices I really liked were Taeyeon, the master of all genres, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and surprisingly Seohyun, who has such a sweet and innocent voice (though it's powerful). The other girls' voices were too soft and sweet, with the exception of Tiffany whose voice was 50/50 for me.

 

Line distribution was great for everyone except Yuri and Yoona. Yuri's voice is actually good but really soft so I kind of understand why she didn't get as many lines. Yoona on the other hand doesn't really have much musical ability but this song could've fit her voice pretty well.

Rate: 8/10

 

 

 

MV:

 

I couldn't take the MV too seriously. It didn't feel like a SNSD MV. Therefore, I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. Sometimes, I understand why SM never made SNSD a y concept. They don't really fit it. It's awkward to watch. Only a couple of members can truly pull it off. And even if they did do a y concept, they should've done one earlier in like 2012 when they all were in their early 20s. To see a girl group that's known for being relatively cute and classy try to pull of something quite y as "You Think" kind of makes you cringe. The choreography was also pretty y, especially with Seohyun, THE MAKNAE, hitting a split and rolling around on the ground. The choreography was cool but it didn't look that great on the Soshi members.

Rate: 7/10