Second

Morning Baby

She was sitting opposite to him while he was eating a sandwich. Joshua didn't look at her, he was trying to focus all his attention on chewing and swallowing.

"What am I doing?" he thought to himself.

 

He almost attacked her in underwear with his beloved guitar and now she has to clean up the mess he made. What if she finds...

Joshua felt really embarrassed. 

He's normally not like this at all.

 

Joshua is a gentleman, that's how his friends like to call him: Calm, collected, knows what to do in every situation. But now?

It's because of the lack of sleep he told himself.

He must have had terrible dark circles under his eyes.

 

 

"So, uhm..." He coughed, almost choking on a sandwich crumble. "So how old are you?"

"20" she answered without directly looking at him.

"And you work as a cleaning lady?" Joshua raised an eyebrow.

"No, I'm actually a university student. I just clean to get some money to pay the rent of my apartment." Yoojin answered. "And if you don't mind, I'd like to go back to work right now."

Joshua just nodded and Yoojin immediately got up and headed to her basket full of cleaning supplies in the living room.

 

 

Joshua was sitting in his room trying to do some studies, when Yoojin knocked on the door.

The boy turned around in his chair and looked at her.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm done and I'll leave now."

"Okay." Joshua nodded and looked at his watch, he should leave now soon or he'd be late for work.

 

 

 

Once he could hear the door closing, he got dressed, put on his jacket and left his apartment. 

Raindrops were falling on his dark brown hair, while he was unlocking the door of his car. It was not the newest, but he really loved it. He knew that he was really lucky and blessed, because not a lot of students can afford a car. 

Yes, the seats were not the most comfortable ones and the AC doesn't always work, but you gotta work with what you have, right?

 

As he was driving he noticed a small person carrying a basket full of cleaning supplies. Her hair was dripping with water, so he stopped next to her. 

 

"Yoojin? Is it far to your home? Do you need a ride?" 

"I live in the 85th Street..."

"That's on the other side of the city. Get in I'll drive you there."

 

 

The girl looked up into the sky as if she was considering if the rain was too heavy to get in the car or if she could handle it.

"Thank you."

 

 

 

 

He was late. Also nothing he typically was doing. Maybe today was not his day.

"Joshua, you are late." The owner of the music shop told him.

"I'm sorry...it was the traffic." His boss nodded and Joshua disappeared behind a shelf full of old vinyls.

 

 

A week passed since that day.

Joshua had been going to uni and work. It was quite stressful, but he was really into learning the things his professors tought. While some of his mates often skipped classes, Joshua was always there inhaling the words his lectors said.

He is a science student. Everyone else around him told him to study music, but Joshua wanted to keep it as a hobby rather than making it his profession.

It didn't matter anyway, he always had straight As no matter what subject it was.

But in the end he chose science. Music still keeps a big spot in his heart.

 

Anyways

A week passed since that day and it was Thursday again.

This time he didn't watch a horror movie on the night before, he even made a promise to never watch those on his own again. It was all for his own good.

He did stay up late though, playing some melodies on his guitar. He was writing a song.

On Thursday morning he finished the song.

Nobody interrupted him. No one tried opening his door.

He was relieved, yet a little sad.

Yoojin will probably come tomorrow while he is at university, now that she knows Thursday is his free day.

 

 

 

 

 

He was right. When he came home after university, his apartment was squeaky clean. No piece of dust anywhere and no crumbles under the kitchen table.