Chapter - 2

It's not you, It's me.

 

The three made an appointment together to meet at the café downtown. The café had a very warm and cozy feeling. It also gave off a very friendly and welcoming effect – just how Chaerin loved it. It was her escape from the cruelty and unfairness of the outside world. She would sip a cup of Caffe Latte and just rest her mind. She would sit by the huge window looking at the busy street. It made her feel free. Like she could do whatever damn thing she wanted.

The three sat by window. Chaerin and Jun Hyung sat beside each other while facing Hara’s innocent face. She had that bright smile on her face, as usual. That day, Chaerin was determined to get to know her well. They started off with buying drinks and dessert.

“So, how long have you guys been dating?” Hara asked the couple.

“3 years now.” Jun Hyung said proudly, grabbing Chaerin’s hand and giving it a squeeze. Jun Hyung saw Hara smiled but Chaerin knew Hara gave off a bitter smile. She could read almost everyone like a book. She keeps this a secret that not even Jun Hyung knows.

“That’s pretty long. When are you guys gonna end it?” Hara said, seriously. Chaerin and Jun Hyung was shocked and the silence was quiet awkward. Then, Hara broke into a huge grin. “Aww, come on! I was just kidding! I really hope your relationship last forever!” Hara said beaming, or so Jun Hyung thought. Chaerin saw it all. The way Hara looked at him, the way she gives off a bitter smile. Everything.

The three chatted for a while. “I have to go to the men’s.”Jun Hyung said and stood up.

When he was out of sight, Chaerin looked at Hara who was playing with her food. “So, Hara, I heard you study in Japan. So, how is it?” Chaerin said, trying to get to know her better.

“Well, it was good. Until my parents started putting pressure on me. Then, that’s where I drew the final line. I dropped out.” Chaerin nodded understandingly. She could totally relate. Her father once wanted her to study abroad and become a professor like he was. But she refused and just lived her life freely as a potential fashion designer.

“What do you do?” Hara asked. Chaerin can sense a little bit of mockery in her voice. Chaerin smiled.

“Well, I was supposed to become a professor. But I didn’t like it. So, I’m actually taking up courses to become a fashion designer.” Chaerin said. Soon, Jun Hyung came back from the men’s and sat beside Chaerin.

“So, did you two get to know each other?” He asked, snaking his arm around Chaerin’s shoulder and giving her a tight squeeze.  “Yup. Chaerin’s really cool.” Hara said, smiling. Chaerin just smiled, totally flustered of the comment.