Chapter - 1

It's not you, It's me.

 

3 years. The ‘destined’ couple has been through thick and thin for 3 whole years. They were spending their 3rd anniversary at a famous amusement park downtown.

“Chaerin-ah, let’s take that ride before we head back.” Said the loving guy, patting her head.

Even though it was winter, and it was gonna be a new year in a few minutes, everything seemed perfect. Everything that could have been worrying the girl was all gone. Just by spending with her boyfriend on this fine day.

She nodded her and swiftly, the guy took her by her hand, intertwining their fingers and headed to the Ferris wheel.  She took a glance at her watch. It showed, 11:50 pm. She was about to explode from the excitement inside her, but kept her cool.

Jun Hyung – the girl’s boyfriend – Stood in line while holding on to her shoulder and pulling her close to keep themselves warm. Chaerin buried her face into his jacket which was warm, the way it always has been and the way it made her feel warmth. She wrapped her arms around his waist. It made him chuckled at her cuteness.

When it finally got to their turn, they hopped on to it and watch their surroundings as they slowly went higher, up to the top. It took them awhile to reach the top. When it stopped there, everyone was already gathering at the centre, counting down. 

5…4…3…2…1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheers and applauses were heard. At that moment, the fireworks were then shooting towards the sky. Chaerin couldn’t help but feel really special. It was so close to her that she could almost touch it.

“Another year has gone by. Fast eh?” Jun Hyung said, eyes filled with happiness.

“Yeah. Those memories that will be cherished forever, even if things don’t work out.” Chaerin said, smiling like a fool, still admiring the fireworks.

“Don’t say that! You know we’re gonna be together till the sky falls down.”

Then, there was a silence a comfortable silence. Jun Hyung looked up at the skies, then, at his girl.

“Chaerin?”

“Mm.” She said looking at him in the eyes with a huge grin.

“Happy new year.” Jun Hyung said and leaned in to kiss her. She kissed back. It made the both of them have butterflies in their bellies. Both smiled in to the kiss. And with that a day was well spent. Soon enough, they had to go back to their apartment.

*****

 “Oppa, get up! It’s 10 in the morning!” Chaerin waked her boyfriend up cutely. But he didn’t budge, not even a bit. She tried to wake him up again and again. But he only groaned.

“Then, I’m getting up first!” Chaerin got up, but was only to be pulled down by the heavy sleeper. He hugged her tight and it made her chuckled at how childish he can be sometimes. But nonetheless, she loved him dearly.

“No. Stay in bed and cuddle with me for a bit.” Jun Hyung said huskily.

“No way. I’m hungry and I’m making breakfast. You can cuddle with your Pikachu.” Chaerin said and quickly got up before her stubborn boyfriend could protest. Jun Hyung just watched his girlfriend disappear into the kitchen. He took his phone and started scheming through his texts of congratulations on living his life with his loving girlfriend for 3 whole years. He let out a small smile and started texting texts of thankful.

He suddenly smell something good cooking coming from the kitchen. He stood up and went into the shared kitchen. He snuck up behind her and quietly placed his hands around her waist and resting his head on her shoulder.

“Something smells nice.” He said taking in the scent of the food and also the cook. Chaerin just smiled. She loved how he always does that every morning. She then, felt a peck on her cheeks.

“Eww. Gross. Go brush your teeth.” Chaerin however didn’t like the fact that he kisses her in the morning without brushing his teeth. Jun Hyung let out a small whine and head to the bathroom. Mean while, Chaerin was setting up the table for them to eat.

*****

The couple decided to take a cold morning walk through the streets. Chaerin’s head on his shoulder and holding on to Jun Hyung’s arm the whole time. Suddenly, they heard a female voice calling Jun Hyung.

“Jun Hyung oppa!”

The couple turned around to find a young lady wearing a short shorts and a long sleeve shirt with a thick scarf wrapped around her neck. The two couple gave the lady a confused look. The young lady frowned.

“You don’t remember me? Hara?” She said trying to help him remember. But the confuse look on his face tells her that he doesn’t.

“You know, Hara. When we were kids, we used to play in the rain and in the park near Hongdae?”

“AH!” Jun Hyung said. Finally he remembered. He mentally face palmed, because how stupid he is to not have remembered his childhood friend. “But, I thought you decided to study in Japan?”

“Yeah, well, I dropped out. I couldn’t handle the stress and I just miss my country.” Hara said nicely.

Then, there was an awkward silence. Jun Hyung then, remembered Chaerin beside him.

“Oh, Chae, this is Hara. My childhood friend. And Hara, this is Chaerin. My girlfriend.” He said grinning like a fool. Chaerin extended her hands to shakes Hara’s. They said their hellos.

“Well, I better get going. Meet you soon, Jun Hyung oppa and Chaerin.” Hara smiled. She was about to go when Jun Hyung stopped her to ask for her phone number. She gladly gave it to him. The couple then, went home.

Upon reaching their apartment, Chaerin sighed and sat on the comfortable couch. Jun Hyung was concerned about her.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Jun Hyung asked, sitting comfortable beside her.

“Just tired.” And placed her head on his shoulder. Jun Hyung nodded. Then, there was a comfortable silence that always fell between them. “Your friend, Hara, she’s nice.” Chaerin said, remembering the girls smiling face.

“Yeah, she is. You should get to know her. Next to you and my mom, she knows me well too.” Jun Hyung said smiling, reminiscing the memories. Chaerin just smiled. But there was a tinge of jealous in her. She decided to bury it. “Though it’s weird that her mom is always forcing us to go out…” he trailed off. Chaerin raised an eyebrow.

“Because you’re so amazing, handsome and lovable. That’s why.” Chaerin said and pecked his cheeks. Jun Hyung gave a little chuckle. “The three of us should totally go out together. You and her can be buddies while I can catch up on her.” Chaerin gave him an encouraging smile and nodded.