Trouble, Trouble, Be My Destiny

Take a Second Look

Minseok was bored. He and Sehun went to underground dance clubs all the time, but tonight Sehun was technically supposed to be working; in other words, no dance partner for Minseok. His boyfriend would have happily allowed him to find someone else with whom to dance, and usually Minseok actually would, but tonight he was simply too lazy.

"Go have fun," Sehun had urged earlier when Minseok groaned suddenly and twisted sideways to crack his back.

"No fun without you," was Minseok's reply, "at least not tonight."

Sehun had sighed but nodded, knowing how stubborn his older boyfriend could be. He went back to scanning the crowd for potential scholarship students and Minseok went back to his drink.

As more time passed and the night got later, Minseok stopped drinking and instead turned to gaze down to the ground level and join his boyfriend in people watching. He knew Sehun was only looking at the dancer's because his internship for the university's dance department required it of him, but unlike his boyfriend, Minseok ended up genuinely enjoying himself. Every once in a while Minseok would point out a particular dancer who's caught his interest, and Sehun would either nod or comment something like, "y style but look, his rhythm's a little off," or "I like his footwork but his posture's horrible—that'd be a hard thing to fix at his age." Those offhanded asides were the reason Sehun studied dance to make a living and Minseok just danced for fun.

By the time they passed the midnight mark, Sehun had selected a few dancers for his short list and left Minseok in the loft while he went to talk to them. He kissed his boyfriend once and then pecked Minseok sweetly on the forehead before descending the stairs and disappearing into the crowd. During the day, Sehun's platinum hair in a crowd of near-black was hard to miss, but in the flashing strobe lights of the club, even his boyfriend had a hard time pointing him out.

Though the people watching had been entertaining for a while, Minseok soon grew bored once more and ended up staring off into space with his cheeks puffed and his lips pouting. He sat like that for half an hour or so, foot tapping subconsciously to the occasional song he recognized and sometimes even mouthing along to some of the words. Sehun emerged at random intervals as well, but he was always deeply enmeshed in conversation and barely counted as a distraction from Minseok's boredom.

As such, it was a blessed relief when a voice pulled him from his boredom with a low and sultry, "Where'd your boyfriend go?"

Minseok liked people, and he especially liked people who entertained him when he was bored, so he didn't really mind the confidence of the random stranger to come up and talk to him after seeing that Sehun wasn't around.

"Working," Minseok replied, not trying to sound short but not really bothered to elaborate; if the guy was interested, he'd ask something else.

Which he did. "And he just left you here by yourself?" The guy's voice was disbelieving but not in a creepy, make-Minseok-doubt-Sehun kind of way. He just sounded a little concerned. "I'm only asking," he elaborated when Minseok looked across the couch at him and seemed completely nonplussed, "because you look kind of bored out of your mind."

"Oh my god," Minseok's sudden outburst surprised them both but when he giggled afterward in embarrassment the guy just smiled at him—genuinely, too. "You don't even understand. I thought I was going to have to start counting my fingerprint lines or something."

The guy chuckled at that and teased, "In this lighting? Wow, you really are bored." Minseok watched as the other guy his lips, seeming suddenly nervous, before asking tentatively, "Would he—I mean, would your boyfriend—care if I asked you to dance?"

He'd never completely lost his original confidence, but once Minseok repeated a dramatic "Oh my god!" and followed that up with a "Please do," the guy's confident smirk returned and his shoulders straightened almost noticeably.

"Really?" He sounded surprised and a little skeptical. "Are you sure? He's hot but I feel like your boyfriend wouldn't hesitate to beat someone up for you."

The guy's comment piqued Minseok's interest even further—usually, if he was someone's type, Sehun definitely wasn't. It was that which confirmed Minseok's desire to finally vacate the loft couch, abandon his drink, and grab the guy by the wrist to pull him down the stairs so they could dance.

"I'm very sure," he purred into the guy's ear as they moved toward the center of the writhing mass of dancing bodies, and Minseok is pretty sure he felt the taller man shudder against him.

"In that case," the man declared, pleasantly surprising Minseok by flipping him around and pulling him close so Minseok's back was flush against the man's chest, "let's dance."

Minseok soon lost himself in the music and the feel of the man grinding rhythmically against him; his boredom was gone and his mood was vastly improved, so when he spotted Sehun across the club and caught his boyfriend's eye briefly, Minseok winked slyly and his lips. He could see Sehun's lips as they curled into a nearly feral grin, and Minseok couldn't wait until his boyfriend was finished working so they could go back to his apartment and have some fun. Maybe it would be just the two of them, but then again, maybe not—Minseok's new friend definitely seemed interested.