Getting To Know Him

What Happens At Night

Chapter IV

This turned out harder than Minwoo expected.

Masquerade was really pick and demanding, never set his mind on one thing to do. He had high standards for everything, and wouldn't accept less than that. It was really hard to cope with him.

"Human, go make me some English Jasmine-flavoured green tea, and be quick." he commanded. Minwoo rushed out of the room quickly to follow orders. As he walked through the hallways, vampires eyes him and whispered to each other. The thing he thought of was that he would be attacked any moment, but that was not it.

"...he must be Masquerade's human partner..." one female vampire whispered to her friend.

"I feel sorry for him. I really do." her friend replied. Whispered among the crowds mainly consisted of these two lines. One even said, "I'd be damned if I go near the human boy."

Masquerade definitely frightened everyone, including his schoolmates.

He was scary, though. On near observation, he got a better view of his facial features- Well, as much as the mask didn't cover. Masqurade's face had a lot of scars, he seldom smiled, and would never ever look at Minwoo when he's talking to him. Minwoo felt unimportant. Yusa had told him before that vampires feel most attraction to the humans serving them, but Masquerade was doing anything but being close to Minwoo. (Not that he wanted it, anyway.)

But wait, he said he has claimed another human... Which possibly means he left some kind of mark or anything on him. Minwoo didn't have a mark on him yet. (His hurried actions were enough to prove he has a master already, though.)

Putting these together, he realized that him not being marked meant that the vampire was serious about leaving him on his own after his human partner makes an appearance, which meant Minwoo's unevitable end on the hands of the vampires out there. He couldn't help but wish that human, whoever he or she was, dead. Or Kidnapped. Death sounded too dark to him.

He took his mind away from these thoughts. He still had some tea to make.

"You need a lot of training, human." Masquerade said in a rough tone, putting away the cup of tea. "Don't you know how tea is made?"

"I-I followed your i-instructions...master.." he mumbled, not taking his eyes of the ground. Masquerade scoffed.

"Fool! You cannot have possibly followed them when your tea tastes like this!" He stood up and marched to the door. "I will be leaving for class and if I don't find a well-made tea along with some scones when I come back, you'll pay dearly, human." he closed the door as he left. Minwoo sighed a long, deep sigh of uncomfort. He was so tired. barely had he met the guy and he already regrets it.

Sometimes he thinks... Was it really worth coming all the way to search for Haruka, who he is not even sure is still alive? Was it worth the throuble of being surrounded by vampires, and a very annoying and picky one being his master? Hell, who knows what he would do to him later on? He shuddered at the thoughts and shook his head.

He had to think positive... Stay positive-

No, it was impossible... He missed them all... His band mates... The ones who wouldn't get angry if he messed up a damn cup of tea. The ones who were like his brothers, with no such a thing as slave-master relationship. The ones who would actually feel something was wrong, or that something was bothering him. He didn't like Masquerade. All his thoughts of the human the vampire claimed dying miserably disappeared. He wanted him to be quick. He wanted to get away from that demonic creature known as Masquerade.

And it has only been a few hours!

Without noticing it, he was crying. He slowly lifted himself of the chair he had subconsciously reclined to and threw on the bed that belonged to Masquerade, sobbing silently. Before he knew it, he was asleep.

Next thing he knew was that he woke up on the same bed, but in a different position. He rubbed his eyes and started to become aware of his surroundings. First thing he noticed was the wet cloth on his head. Second was the sweet aroma of green tea that filled the warm room. Last, Masquerade was not there. He felt puzzled. Who had been into the room then?

This couldn't be Masquerade's doing. He would never be that gentle. No way. Maybe Yusa then? Who else would put him in bed like that?

"You're up." with a yelp he whipped his head to the side. Masquerade was there, sitting on the side of the bed, with his mask on. Minwoo sighed.

"You scared me..." he mumbled, not expecting any kind of answer.

"Sorry." he blinked and glanced at the vampire. "What? Is it wrong to apologize?"

"N-no.. I just...didn't expect you to..." Minwoo said quietly. Masquerade just nodded a little, and they fell into silence. An awkward one too.

"..Uh..here.." the vampire handed him a cup of green tea. "I made this for you. It will help you get better..."

"You..made this...?"

"Yes. When I came back, you were asleep. You're body was buring up; a fever, I thought, and I tucked you in." he explained. Minwoo stared at him in surprise.

"You...You did-"

"Yes. Is it not common for a vampire to help his partner?"

"No... Not from you, that is..." Minwoo mumbled, stressing on the 'you'. Masquerade seemed to hear it. His lips turned to a frown.

"I know..." he sighed. "..My demanding personality doesn't appeal anyone..." he added. Minwoo turned to him and tilted his head to the side a little.

"Don't you have any friends...?" the vampire shook his head. 

"No... They... They say I'm... lower than them..." he murmured softly. "It's something related to my family..."

"Is that why you wear a mask...?" Minwoo asked again. Masquerade lifted his head up a little.

"...y-yes.." he sighed. "...I feel insecure... I don't want anyone to judge me.. I turned cold and ruthless because of them..." he spoke, clenching his hands together. "I didn't want people to know who I was... I tried to mingle, but I couldn't..."

"I can help you." Minwoo smiled a little.

"I don't know..." the vampire trailed off. "You don't like me... How can I trust you...?"

"You are a vampire. How can I trust you?" Minwoo replied with a knowing smile.

"...I asked first..." Minwoo laughed a little at the vampire's sudden change of attitude.

"Will you let be your friend or not?" The vampire debated on it for a few seconds before nodding. Minwoo beamed. "Good. You won't regret that." Masquerade flashed a tiny smile that disappeared as soon as it came.

"But that won't change the fact your tea is horrible." the vampire folded his arms. Minwoo rolled his eyes. "Anyway, before you do anything, you needc to get rid of your fever first."

"You're right... I'm starting to think this is all a dream." Masquerade pushed him back and tucked him in. "Ne, why do you care so much about my health?"

"No time to talk now. I'll tell you later. Now sleep. This is a command." Minwoo smiled to himself as he watched the vampire leave the room. He didn't know why, but he seemed to be able to make the most intimidating people open up for him. 

He should include that in his CV as a special talent. Really.

He laughed quietly at his thoughts and closed his eyes, not noticing that the door was not fully closed, and that a certain vampire was watching him with a puzzled expression on his face.

Why, Minwoo...? Why...?

______________________________________________________

Again, another short chapter. Sorry folks, but time is gold. And Yay! It's my birthday! Cool. I'll be pestering my father to buy me a new mobile phone, if you need me. Leave a message plese. Thank you! *Runs off*