The First Date

Other Half

Jaehwan stay still watching tv, he was watching Monk, the dog cartoon with no voice. He really feels like his at his own home.

I just finished drying up my hair and dressing up after taking shower. I went to the kitchen and checking our food supplies, it’s time for grocery shopping. I take a look at Jaehwan. ‘Should I ask Jaehwan to come with me?’

I went to my room to get my bag, Jaehwan still glued on the TV screen.

“Jaehwan-ssi, do you want to come with me?” He directly stand up, like he knows I would ask him to go somewhere. “Let’s go!” He didn’t even ask where are we going. “Don’t you want to take a shower first?” I asked. “No. But I need a mouthwash i guess.” He gestured smelling his own breath and look disgusted himself. Cute, I think.

I pointed him the mouthwash on the bathroom sink, then I left him to gargle and pick a sandals from the shoe cabinet.

“Gummy, Taekwoon. I’m going to the grocery store with Jaehwan. He’s driving me. Text me if you guys need anything!” I shouted before we left.

•••

At the grocery store Jaehwan obediently follow me around. Once in a while he gag on things he sees, it’s hilarious being with him.

We get everything we need, including Hot Buns that Gummy asked to buy for Taekwoon. Jaehwan didn’t buy anything.

We were lining for paying. Jaehwan standing next to me, he’s very tall, I was like only as tall as his chin. He’s skinnier than me, but he still looks like a titan.

He then carried most of the groceries after we payed. He’s such a big help.

Inside the car

“We rarely talk during practice. I don’t know you like to talk a lot too.” He started the conversation once the car drive off the supermarket parking lot. “Why? You thought I’m a calm sweetheart?” I jested. “You are so wrong!” 

“Well, you talk a lot. But you are such a sweetheart anyway.” He cooed. That shuts me up right away.  I don’t want to look at him. I throw my look outside the car window, flustered.

•••

After helping me out arranging the groceries, Jaehwant went home. I decided to take a nap on the couch.

I slept for a good 4 hours, that’s a long nap.

When I’m awake, I found Taekwoon and Gummy sit on the dinning table eating the Hot Buns. While eating, they didn’t say any words. They only exchanging look, and those look means more than a thousand words.

My phone rings, it’s on the dining table. Taekwoon look over my phone screen and sees me who just wake up. “It’s Jaehwan. Do you want me to pick it up?” I nodded. Then he picked it up, “보?” And Jaehwan said something long to Taekwoon. Taekwoon only replied him with an 'Ok’ and he hung up.

“He said he will pick you up in 10 minutes, get ready!” Teakwoon ordered me. “Wait.. What?” I sputtered.

I didn’t think any longer, in an instance I changed my clothes to a white sweatshirt dress, wearing my favorite plum-fressia scent perfume, and did a ponytail for my hair. I’m ready in less than 10 minutes.

Now, I don’t even questioning or resisting. I just get too excited knowing he’s asking me out. 'What am I doing?’ as I think.

I’m already downstairs when he arrived.

•••

Here we are, at the Megabox Cinema at COeX Mall. Some people recognized Jaehwan. Well, his a pretty known musical actor. Jaehwan always smile back everytime he caught someone staring or taking his picture.

We choose to watch Inside Out, an animation film. We bought drinks and caramel popcorn before we went in to the studio.

Nothing romantic happened during the movie. I guess both me and Jaehwan were too concentrate with the cute animation and busy chewing popcorn.

I look very estatic after the movie. Jaehwan keep mimicking the Inside Out characters, it’s very amusing. But out of nowhere he said, “You know, I actually can’t concentrate much during the movie.” I gave him this 'why?’ face. He only smile at me ear to ear, that smile contains thousands of meanings.

Then we decided to look for some food around Garosugil area.

We park our car somewhere along the Garosugil street and choose to walk along the street.Outside garosugil street there’s a decent amount of lights, you can see the clear starry night above, I love stars, like I always do.

At last we find a cute restaurant across the corner of the street. We have to wait the traffic light to cross. Suddenly we were waiting in silence, I feel Jaehwan’s shoulder is getting closer. Then i feel the back of his hand brushed against mine. He tangled his index finger to my index finger. I didn’t try to stop him, I stand still.

The traffic light turns red, so we can cross the street. Jaehwan then interlaced his fingers to mine before pulling me to cross the street. His hand feels warm and it makes me feel safe.

•••

Since that day, the very first day we linked our fingers to each other. We find our way to spend time together. Before practice, after practice, weekdays, weekend, anytime. But no one on the musical team know yet, that we are dating.

To be think about, only Taekwoon and Gummy who know about the relationship and we managed to keep it that way.

First week of our relationship was full of Gummy and Taekwoon screeching on both of us being so lovey dovey. They are used to our cheesiness but not on this level of cheesiness. We are not the romantic-romantic type, we are more like the romantic-what just happened-dorky type.

The other night, the four of us were going out for watching a firework summer festival at the Han River. There were a lot of people. Gummy and Taekwoon never like crowded place that packed with people, so we were looking for a spot which is a little bit far and quieter.

We sat down on a mat that we brought, drinking to Starbucks that we bought on our way here. Taekwoon and Gummy with their Vanilla Latte, Jaehwan with his Frappucino Caramel and  I choose to have a Hot Chocolate.

I was sitting while hugging on my knees with Jaehwan sitting on my left, he keeps twirling my long wavy hair. I glance to my right side, Gummy sitting in front of Taekwoon closely, both of them facing to the river side then looking at the sky in silence with Taekwoon’s hand runs down from the top of Gummy’s head to the back of her neck, tracing over her spine and end up resting his hand on Gummy’s waist. It feels like tonight sky only belongs to both of them, where the stars and moon know what they have for each other, what they want to say to each other.

I look back at Jaehwan and mouthing, “They are so cute.”  Jaehwan pull me close to him and hug me from the side with his long arm. He kiss the crown of my head, “You know, I always love how you smell.” He mumbled. “I never can think clearly every time your scent invading my consciousness. Since our first movie date.” Even we are dating already, he always manage to make my stomach and heart tingle with words that I never can see coming.

The firework parade has started. The four of us were too busy enjoying the beautiful sight of colors and light that painted the sky, the night summer wind touches our faces, oh and awe were the only words that came out from our mouth, including Jaehwan.