First Encounter? Not Really.

Other Half

The whole kitchen smells like Chocolate as I walk inside the apartment. My blood rushing head over heels, I smile.. No, more like grinning. I managed to take off my shoes before I run to the kitchen.

I gasped with no sound at the sight I see. There is this couple in the kitchen, making fudge brownies that my friend promised to make for me this morning. You guys have no idea how the thoughts of fudge brownies melting inside my mouth excites me so much.


But seeing what I see, I decided to slip out of the kitchen silently before they realized I was there standing behind them. Those two lovey dovey persons inside the kitchen are of course my friend Gummy and his annoying boyfriend Taekwoon.

I enter my room, put my bag on my makeup table, then I lay down on the strawberry scented pink carpet which I just bought yesterday. The carpet is so thick and fluffy. I’m about to close my eyes after being so exhausted preparing for my very first musical, well not as a main character but pretty enough to put it on my CV to brag.
 

••• 

(Knock Knock..)

I was surprised when I hear someone knock on my door. I was about to sleep, actually….

“Ken?? Are you home??” Gummy calling me from outside my room.

I stood up and went to open the door. “I want brownies.” I directly try to talk cutely as I open the door and Gummy face turned like ‘meh’. Ï actually was standing in the kitchen like about a minute but you guys seems very serious in the kitchen.”I continue talking and I sound like teasing them while following Gummy to the kitchen.

Taekwoon give me a look that said ‘shut up’, I know both of them feel flustered with the words that I said. But as always, none of them say a word to me. Yup, it always been like that. Seeing their 2 years relationship has always been awkwardly cute. In front of people they don’t talk much, both of them. But in front of me, both always saying things to tease me or bother me but they never say any cheesy or romantic words in front of me. Well, I don’t know how it is if it’s only two of them. But, once I caught Taekwoon begging Gummy to kiss her while she was cooking, which I spontaneously snort at him with laughter and after that the whole day Taekwoon didn’t stop a bit to tease me about everything. His kind of revenge that makes him become the most annoying person I have ever known.

Despite of that, He is the most caring person I have ever met too, especially towards Gummy. He seems like he doesn’t care. But to my surprise, he knows every single thing that happened to Gummy, even not only Gummy but he also aware with things that going on around me. That’s why I trusted him to take care of Gummy, I’m kind of protective when it comes to my closest friend. If Taekwoon dare to breaks her heart, I’m going to rip him into pieces, but I believe he won’t at least for now.

The brownies already inside the fridge, I can’t wait to eat it. While waiting we chat at the kitchen counter.

“So are you ready for the musical?” Taekwoon asked. “Ï guess so. I have to be ready.” I answered. “How’s Ken? I mean the other Ken, Jaehwan.” Taekwoon asked again, about his friend. “He’s doing great, very great.”I replied casually, but I feel something inside my stomach when Taekwoon mentioned Jaehwan name.

“That’s all?” Taekwoon seems curious. “You guys didn’t talk to each other? Or didn’t he say that he’s my friend?” I decided to call him Jaehwan instead of Ken, it’s weird calling out your own name. Ken it’s like his stage name, he is a musical actor. He’s one of the big name out there and he has been Taekwoon’s friend since they were in high school.

“Nope.” I answered casually while checking the brownies inside the fridge. I think the brownies is ready. I pull Gummy’s skirt signing her to take out the brownies from the fridge.

Gummy took the fudge brownies, moved it from the tray to a plate, and cut in into square pieces. I can feel my eyes sparkling, I keep staring to the brownies. “Chills Ken, what’s with that face.” She teased me, she actually know I always look like that when it comes to everything sweets.

When I’m about to take a piece from the plate, Taekwoon took the whole plate and brings it to the living room while saying, “You are not helping, it’s all ours.” I race Takewoon to the couch and before I started a fight with him offer a brownies, Gummy took after the plate from Taekwoon’s and give it to me. "It’s hers, that’s why we make it this on the very first place.” She said that to Taekwoon then gave him a peck on his cheek as an exchange for the brownies. They are so cute, very cute.I envy them.

“So do you want me to introduce you to Ken. I mean Jaehwan.” He offered. “No, that’s okay. We have been introduced to each other, every single cast and crew. So that would be fine.” I said as I put a big piece of fudge brownies inside my mouth, but again I feel something in my belly. “Why you look flustered every time I mentioned his name?” Taekwoon analyzing me as usual. “His name? Who? Jaehwan? No, I’m not.” I denied.

Gummy were watching our conversation while being hugged by Taekwoon on the couch. They only do that in front of me, in front of others both of them are very stiff sometimes I even want to pinch both of them. She pointed at my mouth, chocolate all over the place, gesturing me to wipe it.

“You said Jaehwan is cute. Why don’t you talk to him?” Gummy being blunt. I can feel my face burning with the fudge brownies melted inside my mouth at the same time. I glance to Taekwoon, I can see his winning face, that punk.

I didn’t finished all the fudge brownies, and let Taekwoon have the rest. He’s been very patience waiting for me to finish eating, thanks to Gummy who keep him stay put on his sit.

•••

All finished, I wash the dishes and let those two couples stay at the living room. Once in a while I glance at them, It’s a lovely sight, seeing Gummy resting his head on Taekwoon chest while reading her favorite clamp series and Taekwoon only sitting there looking back and forth to his phone and his girlfriend, kissing the crown of her head once in a while. It’s a sight I always smile to, sometimes it makes me think 'It would be nice to have someone.' But that thought fade as I remember I’m too busy to starting any relationship right now.

Our intercom buzz, I reached out to it. “Yes, Can I help you?”I said. "Oh, hi. I’m Taekwoon’s friend. Is this Gummy’s place?” The voice from across the intercom answered, unsure.

"At last, what took him so long.”Taekwoon mumble as he walk towards me. Confused, I was giving the ‘who is it?’ look to Taekwoon. He then take over the intercom, “Come up, hurry!” Taekwoon turned to me, “You know him.” He said that with a smirk on his face.

My brain responded so fast on what Taekwoon said, then I ran to my room and shut the door close. "It must be Jaehwan, isn’t it?” I can feel my heart beating. “Why am I nervous? I get to see him almost every day since we started to practice musical together.” Jaehwan always being so lovely and bubbly to everyone at the practice place. Without realizing, I always put my eyes on him, every day, unconsciously.

I can hear a door being open. I can hear Taekwoon greet his friend and then Gummy talk to that person too.

“Ken, we have guest. Come out!” Gummy calling me out, she knows I need her to call me out.

Once I come out, this voice hit me on my face making me blush, he only said “Hi, my other Ken!”

My other Ken? Can I bold underline and highlight what he just said. MY OTHER KEN? Since when I sounded like his other half. I laugh awkwardly.

I didn’t answer his ‘Hi’, I can see both Taekwoon and Gummy looking amused  at my reaction. Jaehwan gave Gummy a paper bag, there’s plenty of mangoes inside it. Then Gummy asked Jaehwan to make himself feel comfortable and he did. He directly slouched on the couch and groaned, ”I’m sooooo tired!” I look at him as I sit down on the carpet, then I hurriedly facing to the television and reaching out to the remote near my feet and changing channels.

Taekwoon and Gummy joined us, bringing a two big plates of cut mangoes, 4 paper cups, and a jar of fresh strawberry infuse water. They put everything on the table in front of the couch, beside where I sit. “Mango!” Me and Jaehwan shouted at the same time. He laughed cutely, I try to just smile casually but dead in the inside. I always managed to control how I behave in front of someone I’m interested in, but it’s hard for me not to throw my face away every time I exchange look with Jaehwan.

I only touched the Mango once, the rest of the time I only drink and drink and drink. Gummy know it better than anyone, I’m nervous but she let me be. Taekwoon and Jaehwan exchanging stories, they haven’t meet like for almost 2 weeks. Taekwoon is busy with his self-composed album which is still on going, and Jaehwan has been very busy with the musical practice like me. Me and Gummy only listen to their stories and give a comment once in a while.

When they were talking about the musical, Taekwoon took a glance at me then he asked Jaehwan “Ken said, you guys never talk when you guys are practicing.” Jaehwan look at me. I’m so going to choke Taekwoon. “I guess I talk to you couple of times, right?” Jaehwan asked me. “Yeah, I guess. We were too busy with the practice so I didn’t really remember the time we were talking.” Lie.. That’s a lie. I completely remember, he talked to me twice. First, when I eat alone before I get along with the others at our first practice. Second, 3 days ago when I tripped over during the practice and he helped me. Rest of the time it is just a casual greeting he does to everyone not only to me.

Gummy notice, I lied. She gave me a teasing look, but she didn’t say a word. Thank god. Well, too early for me to feel relieved, she whispers something to Taekwoon. “I guess you two should get along.” Taekwoon said talking to both me and Jaehwan. “That’s why I’m inviting you here,” pointing at Jaehwan. “Ken always got home late, she makes my girl stayed up until midnight to make sure she arrived safely.” Taekwoon told Jaehwan. “I think if you could help me to look after her, I will have more time to ask Gummy spend a night or two at my house.” He continued. “It has been almost 2 weeks she refused to come over because you always look exhausted and she thinks she has to take care of you.” Now he’s pointing at me. Is Taekwoon suggesting Jaehwan to drive me home every time we have practice together? I didn’t reply to Taekwoon words, more likely deep inside me I’m expecting Jaehwan to agree with it.

“I don’t mind, how about you Ken? Would you mind if I drive you home after practice?” Jaehwan asked me. “No, Not all. That sounds ok to me.” I answered. “Sorry Gummy, I didn’t mean to make you worry. Sorry.”

And that’s just the beginning of everything that going to happen.