Chapter Three

Trust Me

I woke up to my alarm ringing.  Letting out a yawn, I rolled over to turn it off.  With my eyes still closed, I pulled the blanket off and stepped onto the floor, grabbing my toiletries to wash my face in the bathroom.  It was another day that I’ve been living at Jin’s house.  After being here for almost two weeks, I still don’t know how to act.  He treats me like a ghost who moves about his house freely, so I do just that.  Every day, I get up, eat breakfast, go to my job, come back, eat dinner, sleep, repeat the next day.  I would see him every day for dinner, and sometimes for breakfast when he’s up.

I tried to stay out of his way and keep out of his life as much as I could.  Even yesterday when I came home to find some girl on top of him, making out with him intensely on the black leather couch in the living room.  I hesitated for a moment, feeling my cheeks heat up in embarrassment from looking at the scene, before I quietly padded to my room.  I could still hear the slight moans and gasps, the sound of their lips joining and separating continuously.

"Just an older sister of one of my old gang members," Jin informed me nonchalantly while we were eating dinner that night.  I hadn't asked anything of it, but I guess he sensed my awkwardness.  "We hooked up one night a while ago and she thinks she can come in anytime when she wants to suffocate me to death."  He rolled his eyes and ate his food.

"You didn't seem like you minded it," I muttered.

"I'm a guy, aren't I?" he retorted.  "I take what I can get without going too far."

I remembered feeling a little disgusted.

Later I had a dream.  I was in my bed with some weight being pressed on my body.  When I opened my eyes, I saw Jin crawling on top of me slowly in the darkness.  I just stared up at him, unable to move or say anything.  He smirked when he stopped at a very close distance from my face before he dipped his head down and nibbled at my neck.  At first, I froze in place.  But then, a warmth slowly crept through me and my eyes drooped closed.

An alarm went off in my head and I snapped my eyes open, gasping and realizing that I had awoken in cold sweat in the middle of the night.  The only thing that kept my wandering mind from going any further into that dream was thinking how crazy I was.  I put on my long-sleeved shirt at the end of the bed and got up.  I walked to the kitchen so I could get a glass of water.  As I stepped into the hallway, I had noticed a dim light at the other end.  I walked towards it, only to find it coming from a closed door.  Curious, I slowly turned the knob and peeped my head in as quietly as I could.  I found myself in what seemed like Jin’s office.  He was sitting at a desk in the back of the small room, a bookcase covering the left wall.  Behind his glasses, he seemed to be working hard on something since he didn’t really notice me.

“What are you doing up?” he suddenly thundered, making me jolt at the unexpected sound.  He didn’t sound angry, but he obviously didn’t want me bothering him.

Not knowing how else to respond, I said, “I could ask you the same thing.”

“That’s none of your business, it’s mine,” he stated.

“Night time is meant for winding down and sleeping,” I said.  “I think you should go to bed.”

He said nothing and continued with his work.

“What do you do during the day when I’m gone that you leave this for the middle of the night?” I asked, slightly annoyed that he wasn’t accepting any sympathy from me, and the fact that he hadn’t even looked at me once since I came in.

Right after that, he turned his head to stare at me with his piercing eyes and cold expression.  “You don’t need to know,” he finalized.  “Now leave me to my work please.”

I wanted to say something, but I didn’t feel like fighting and screaming so late at night.  “Fine.  Just don’t stay up too late,” I muttered before closing the door again and going to get my damn glass of water and sleep again.

Although I had to admit, him in glasses was really...attractive.

So now, here I am, feeling completely awkward the next morning and not wanting to be around him, but I kind of have to since I can’t leave.  I had a little bit of time before I had to eat and get ready, and I really need to get this dream off my chest.

"Girl, you said you didn't like him.  Yeah, mhm, sure," Yeri said in that I-Told-You-So voice when I had called her.

“I don’t!”  I insisted desperately, making a mental note to never tell her these things even though I know I’ll do it again.  “It was just a dream, I don’t even know why I had it, it’s bugging the hell out of me!”  I to my back and huffed.  “It’s probably because I went to sleep thinking about what I saw yesterday when I got back from work.”

“What?” Yeri asked.

“I came home and saw this girl on top of him and they were making out,” I related, making a face.  “It made me feel so awkward.  He said that she’s some older sister of one of his friends that he had a fling with and she came back for him.  He said it like he was disgusted, but he didn’t seem like he minded it.”

“So basically, what I’m hearing is that you were jealous of him making out with some dumb and you dreamt that it was you instead,” Yeri concluded.  “Just admit that you have a goddamn crush on him already!”

“I don’t!  Quit it already!”

“You’re the one who took a psych course, you should know that dreams are your subconscious sending messages to you, listen to it,” she pointed out.

I had nothing to say to that.  I sighed.  “I know, you’re right.  But it could also just be lust, I don’t have to like him,” I defended.

“Well, yeah, that could also be it too,” she agreed.  “I mean, if I had a hot roommate guy living with me and I hadn’t seduced him yet, I would be having those dreams too.”

“Yeah…” I got up from the bed.  “You know what else?  I’ve been here for like 2 weeks and I didn’t bring my phone case with me.  I left it home before I went to my job on the day we went out, and I didn’t get it when I got my stuff from my house.”

“Why haven’t you gotten it yet?  What are you waiting for?” Yeri asked.

“Because…” I trailed off.  “Jin said that I shouldn’t go home, not anytime soon.  He thinks that the guys would find me if I went alone and then I’ll die.”

“I mean, if I were you, I would just go in after work and rush back out since it’s the only thing you need.  Then, I'd rush back to his place like nothing happened,” she suggested.  “You really need it right?  Knowing you, I would’ve thought you had broken your phone already since you drop it so many times normally.”

“I’ve been keeping it in my bag and not taking it out except for emergencies when I’m out.  I’m so scared of it being out in the open with nothing but the screen protector,” I scratched my head.  “But I’m scared to go over there.  Actually, I don’t know what to be more scared of, going over there and being captured by the gang members or Jin’s wrath when he finds out I went when he specifically told me not to.”

“Come  on, he’s not that scary,” Yeri snorted.

“It’s not that he’s scary… He’s just so cold all the time,” I explained.  “He barely shows any emotion and he’s always so commanding.  It’s like one of those guys where he hasn’t done anything in front of you to make you scared of him but he just does.  Not to mention that he was in a gang, and gang members are very threatening and truthful to their word; you can’t take them lightly.”

“He has a soft spot for you though!  He’s keeping you safe at his place.  I think you should go get it quickly,” Yeri urged me.  “You’re there for another 2 weeks, it’s a miracle that you even lasted this long.  And now that you’ve jinxed it, you’re bound to drop it now.”

I huffed.  “Yeah, you’re right… Or else I’ll have to pay to fix the damage, or buy a new phone,” I agreed.

“Alright girl, it’s almost time for you to leave for work, so I’ll let you go.  Remember the plan.”

“Yeah, I got it.  See you, Yeri.”  I hung up the phone and put it in my bag before heading towards the kitchen for some breakfast, only to find Jin already there.

"Morning," I muttered, still a little irritated about last night.  I got the plates and glasses from the cabinet and set the table.  "I would've thought you were sleeping now."

"I don't feel like sleeping," he mumbled back, obviously still tired.

"Like I believe that," I retorted.  I sat down with the meal he just brought to the table and ate quickly.  Although I felt guilty for being rude like that.  I looked up at his face, his fatigue showing on his face and his head barely being supported by his arm on the table.  I looked down.  "Try to go back to sleep when I leave, okay?" I said quietly.

Jin's head tilted upward towards me slightly.  Before he could say anything, I got up and put my plate in the sink.  "Thanks for the meal," I thanked him with a slight nod of the head before I turned to leave.  I took my work bag from my room and the extra set of keys that Jin gave me before I left the house for work.

I did my best at work to not think about what I saw last night, both Jin’s make out session and his late night working sessions.  I couldn’t help but wonder what the hell he does during the day that he can’t even do his paperwork or whatever he was doing during the day.  What kind of job does he even have?  I’ve never even seen or heard him talk about his work.  Maybe he still is in that gang and I’m in trouble because I’m living in his house?  That fear still hasn’t left my mind since I’ve been here.  And yet, I still find myself going back there every day and living my life as if it was normal that two strangers live together.  Why?  I have yet to figure out.  Or maybe I know but I just don’t want to admit it yet.

“Ara!  I need that medication for the patient in 2B14!”

“Oh!  Sorry!  I’m coming!”  I forgot that I was at work and I was supposed to be delivering medication to each of the patients’ rooms.  Guess it must have slipped my mind while I was thinking too hard.

 

I finished my job for the day.  I changed out of my scrub and back into my regular clothes.  As I stepped back outside, I hesitated.  I was so torn.  I didn’t know if I should play it safe and go back to Jin’s right now, or to just go back to my house, for just a little bit, to get my phone case.  Test my luck with my phone or test Jin’s wrath?  I couldn’t decide.  I calculated the difference in travel times between going straight to Jin’s house or detouring to my place before going back.  The time difference was a striking 15 minutes.

Biting my lip in stress, I decided to just press my luck and deal with the consequences, starting to walk towards my normal bus stop that I would take to go back to my house.  Just screw it, I thought in haste.  If anything, I could just say that I met a friend for coffee after work if he asks.  Although I really hope he doesn’t, I don’t want to make this harder for me.

I got on my bus and practically ran back to my house just to cut the time even a little bit to 10 minutes and pass off the difference as a traffic jam.  I ran up to my room and grabbed the case off my desk where I remembered that I left it last.  When I had it in my hand, I made a beeline outside back towards the subway to get to Jin’s house, making it just in time to catch the train that was about to leave.  If I had reached just a second later, I would have missed it and my whole time schedule would be skewed.  Once I didn’t have to run anymore, I finally put the case back on my phone that was miraculously still clutched safely in my hand.  Normally, it would have fallen out and cracked by now.

A few stops later, I was briskly walking down the street towards my temporary residence.  I didn’t want to be out of breath or else he would get suspicious.  I stood in front of the doorway, preparing how I would enter the house.  After composing myself, I entered as normal as I could.  I took my shoes off and hung my jacket in the coat closet.  Finally feeling my dry throat, I decided to get a glass of water before I go to shower off all the sweat under my clothes.

After getting my glass and bringing it out of the kitchen while drinking so I can get back to my room, I became aware of more people in the living room than, well, just Jin.  Now, there were 6 more of them.  I paused midway in my gulp and met all pairs of eyes that were on me.  I choked on the little bit of water that went down the wrong way.  I had no idea what to do in this situation.  I wanted to bolt for my room and stay there until they leave, like a startled turtle retreating back into its shell.  They were all looking at me, their cold expressions making me feel uncomfortable, especially the one with the platinum blonde hair and the one with a beanie.  Both of their stares made me feel transparent.

“Yah!”

Jin’s sudden call snapped me back to my senses.  , here it comes.  “Where the hell were you?” he yelled at me, getting up and walking in front of me.  He was obviously pissed.  “You’re almost 15 minutes later than when you usually come home.  Where did you go?”

So my running didn’t shave that much time off damnit!  “I don’t have to tell you, I’m a grown woman and you’re not my dad,” I said firmly, trying to sound strong.  I didn’t want to look weak in front of Jin’s crew.

“Come on, I told you that I almost had with this guy’s older sister, there’s no secrets in this house,” he retorted, pointing at the platinum blond.

“You WHAT?!” came a protest from said male.

Jin ignored it.  “Where did you go?” he repeated.  “The more you put off telling me, the more suspicious I get.”

“I...I went to meet a friend after work,” I lied, cursing myself because it sounded nowhere near convincing.

Jin smirked.  “Listen, if you went to see a guy for a few minutes, you can just tell me, you don’t need to hide-”  While he was looking down, he stopped mid-sentence and locked eyes with something.

I looked down and saw that he was looking at my phone.  My eyes widened in realization and my blood went cold.  , he knows I didn’t have a case before, and now he sees it!  I’m screwed!  ”I’m just gonna go-”

“You went back to your house, didn’t you?” he asked lowly.  His whisper was deathly monotonous.

I didn’t answer, I couldn’t even figure out an excuse.  “My...boyfriend…”

“Your boyfriend gave it to you?” he asked, finally meeting my gaze.  A shiver went down my spine as I met his malicious stare.  His gaze looked so fiery that I was practically expecting his eyes to turn red.  “But wait, but you don’t have a boyfriend,” he said sarcastically.  A taunting smirk spreading across his face, but it was nowhere near as joking as the last one.

My blood went colder than it already was, if that was even possible.

“No denial?  Then you did go back!  I knew it!”  His voice started gaining volume and his face contorted into a scowl.  “Didn’t I tell you not to go back there?!  What would’ve happened when I wasn’t there, huh?!  What if those guys kidnapped you!?  Then what?  You were gonna die, that’s what!”

I jolted as his hands clasped my shoulders.  My heart was pounding so quickly that I thought it was going to pop out of my chest.  I was scared to death.  He’s a former gang member, he could easily kill me right now!  “J-Jin please-” I said feebly.

“What the hell were you thinking?!  That you’ll just be there for 2 seconds and that it would be okay?!  I told you to call me if you needed anything before the end of the month!” he continued screaming, his hands slowly constricting harder on my shoulder.  “You could’ve DIED!”

With that last word, I was frightened enough that the glass slipped out of my clammy hand and shattered into pieces on the floor as I shut my eyes in fear of the man in front of me.  A stark silence filled the room.  The only thing I could hear was Jin’s heavy breathing, feeling it blowing onto my face.  I was scared for what would happen next.  Was he going to kick me out?  Or kill me right now?  I was anticipating something to that effect.

But nothing happened.

I heard his breathing slow.  I carefully cracked open one eye and saw that his eyes were closed and his head was lolled forward slightly, his forehead almost touching my shoulder.  I was even more terrified now that he was calm and not saying anything.  He slowly opened his eyes and stared at me blankly, his face betraying no emotion.  I stiffened, expecting the worst.

But Jin just sighed, and he slowly let go of me.  “You know what, just...go do what you have to.  At least you’re still here and you didn’t get caught, that’s the main thing.  I’ll take care of the mess.  Just go.”  His voice came out just as blank and emotionless as his face.  He bent down to pick up the bigger pieces and I stepped back to get out of his way, still scared that he might do something.  I stood there awkwardly for a while, not sure what to do.  I wanted to help him, but I was afraid of his wrath again.  I slowly took steps back before fully turning around and walking slowly back to my room.

Once I was out of sight, I ran back to my room and shut the door.  My heart was still beating like crazy.  I started tearing up in fear, pressing a hand to my mouth to muffle the soft sobs.  I haven’t seen him so angry in my life, and I definitely don’t want that again.  I remember how pissed my dad used to be at everything, but this was a completely different level.  I was scared of this...stranger that I was living with.

And the same question arose as I stepped into the shower a few moments later.  Why?  Why did I allow myself to come and stay with this strange man and decide to blindly place my full trust in him?  As the scathing hot water from the shower hit my body, I couldn’t find the answer.  Or...I just didn’t want to admit the answer.  The thought surfaced once; Do I love him?

Of course not!  How could I love someone that could easily manipulate my heart rate and make me feel cold all over with fear?  What kind of madman would enjoy that kind of relationship?  I’m not mad, I swear.

I got out of the bathroom only to realize that in my scared haste I hadn’t even brought my pajamas to change into inside the bathroom.  Sighing heavily, I put my hair up in a towel while I dried the rest of my body off.  When I was done, I wrapped the towel back around my heated body and walked out the bathroom while untying the hair towel from my head.  I was hoping that none of Jin’s friends were still there and were spying on me right now.  My room is just opposite the bathroom right there.

I hurried back across the hall into the sanctuary of my room and shut the door behind me.  Not wasting any time, I changed into my pajamas, went back to the bathroom, dried my hair, and cleaned my face, before returning back to my room and curling up in bed.

I’m not crazy, I don’t want to fall in love with this man.  I fell asleep telling myself this.

 


A/N: Hi guys~ I decided to post another chapter during the day rather than my usual late night post because I don't have a book to stick my nose into during the day, I'm going to the library with my mom later and I'm babysitting.  So I figured that I would post a chapter and then post another one later today.  Isn't that great? ^_^

Sorry I didn't post a note in the last chapter, I was so tired that I had to actually go back and edit all of the mistakes I didn't catch while editting.  I just want to say thank you for subscribing, and thanks for the upvote ^^.  Also thanks for the comments and the compliments, I really love reading them.  I hope you guys continue reading until the end and I hope you enjoy it~!  I may not have a great layout or anything for my stories and it might look really plain, so thank you for giving this story a chance.

But before I go, I want to ask you guys a question.  Usually I write angst stories because they are my specialty.  I wrote this story thinking that I could say that it's angst, but after reading it a while, I realize that it probably isn't so.  But the story isn't exactly fluffy or crack either.  So that's why I want to ask you guys what genre/theme would you guys call it so far?  Because I'm honestly curious what you guys think.  And if you feel like it ever changes throughout the story, you can tell me.

I also added a few details in the last chapter, so if you haven't seen the changes yet go read it.

Thanks for reading this note guys, I'll see you in another 12 hours~!