Chapter 5

Missing

Eric was sitting in his study. It was already friday night, but he still had so much to do that even his precious weekend days won't be spared from it. In the dark room he now sat at his desk and kept typing on his laptop. The room was pretty much well-lit thanks to the big window and the countless streetlights shining through it. Even the moon gave of some of it's light. That was enough for the concentrated guy.

 

Despite the late hour, he had to take care of his work, because his cases always took high priority. Although this evening, his mind seemed to be somewhere else.

 

Jin-ah is kinda late...

 

He noticed while taking a quick glimpse of the big clock above the bookshelf. Rarely was his brother still out and about so late, but he never had to be worried about anything. Because Junjin was always being such a reliable guy.

 

So Eric proceeded to type his report. He had already 62 pages down, among others including two muggings from midtown and the assault of an elementary school form teacher. All that had to be strictly documented, even by an inspector himself. Only then he could refocus on the 'Jung Pilgyo Missing Case' that still drove him nuts. Again, Eric checked for the time, now looking at his wristwatch instead. Merely 10 minutes had passed but still no sight of Junjin. He didn't want to play the overly concerned older brother, but he really couldn't suppress his instincts.

 

With a stern look, Eric went back to focus on the screen. His fingers typed swiftly across the keyboard. In a flash, he had finished typing another long paragraph when suddenly the door opened audibly from the corridor, quickly getting his attention, “Hyung? I'm home.” Junjin called from across the living room. He saw the laptop's bright light piercing through the dark study's door crack and approached it, “Hyung? You're still awake this late?” - “Hey Jin-ah.” Eric greeted. His voice was deep and throaty. Junjin hesitated for a moment and lastly entered the room, “Dealing with paper work again?” He smiled, attentively watching Eric type away, “Indeed.” Eric responded, his gaze not leaving the screen once. Junjin thought it'd be advisable to not disturb his hardworking brother any longer, since the guy seemed to be so into his work, and decided to go to bed.

 

“I'll be leaving you alone then, good night Hyun-...”

"Jin-ah, wait...” Eric cut off and finally glanced up at him.

 

A brief silence lingered in the dark room, until the older of the two continued, “You... you're okay, right?” Eric asked eventually with a very serious voice. Junjin almost got scared at how serious he sounded. The younger guy might be used to this kind of mindset and behavior his brother happened to posses as a police inspector, but he still shuddered whenever he got confronted with it, “S-Sure. Couldn't be better.” He ensured, “Did something happen?” He asked hesitantly. Eric sighed. It was ridiculous to jump to conclusions like that, but one does never know, “No, everything is fine. Just wanted to make sure that you're doing well. That's what brothers are supposed to do, you know.” He smiled. That took a load off Junjin's mind. He almost assumed the worst case scenario, “Oh, okay.” He returned the smile. “You may as well go to bed now, I'll quickly get these files done and hit the sack as well.” Eric added and proceeded to type on the laptop again. Junjin nodded lightly and already started yawing, “Okay, good night Hyung.” He said with a hand gesture and lastly left the room.

 

The moment the door snapped close, Eric stopped his typing. Lost in thoughts, his gaze shifted over to the big window...

 

.

.

.

.

(A long while ago in the Coffee shop)

 

Eric kept flipping through his notes while Dongwan let out a brief but deep sigh and scratched his forehead, “These information won't help us out.” He eventually stated. Eric was just about to put away his note book when his phone suddenly went off.

 

“Hm? Anonymous call...“ He mumbled while taking a quick glimpse of his phone screen and answered it, “Inspector Mun Eric.” He stated and awaited the caller's response. Dongwan proceeded towards his coffee that probably cooled down by now. Eric on the other hand wrinkled his forehead, “Hello? Who's there please?” He repeated, but no answer whatsoever. Still, there actually seemed to be someone on the line as he was able to hear breathing sounds very clearly. On top of that, there also appeared to be a strange noise, like a static.

 

Something was fishy about this.

 

Dongwan took a sip and put his cup down on the table, “Is someone playing a prank on you?” He scoffed - “Shh... keep quiet.” Eric scolded and focused his attention entirely on the phone, “Who are you?” He then asked with a demanding voice.

 

> Stay out of this (...)

 

Responded the other line. Eric looked at Dongwan. The guy looked blankly back at him, “What is it?” He asked. Eric's behavior seemed kind of odd to him. But the more experienced guy carried it off well and continued the conversation, “You didn't answer my question.” He insisted sternly. A short moment of silence. Then that static noise again.

 

> I'm warning you for the last time (...)

> (...)

> Or else you'll regret it (...)

 

Someone was threatening the inspector. That was surely not the first time, but such incidents always needed to be taken seriously, “Regret it?” Eric questioned, “Are you trying to intimidate me with your threats?” He added and leaned back against the chair. Dongwan had already forgotten about his coffee again. Instead, he listened to the conversation and tried to guess what the other line was exactly talking about. Eric decided to continue.

 

“Listen, I can't really do much about your stateme - ...”

> Junjin (...)

 

Eric fell silent. His entire body seemed like frozen in place. He didn't move one inch anymore and hoped that the voice would speak on. Even though he feared what exactly this person had to say next. Dongwan noticed how tense his partner appeared all of a sudden. The caller must have told him something that left him completely speechless, “Eric?” He called out, almost worried, but the inspector didn't react, “How - ...” Eric began, but hesitated the moment the static noise resounded.

 

> Your brother. Give him my regards (...)

 

Sudden silence.

Followed by a loud and repetitive beeping.

The line got cut off

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Eric sighed and shifted his gaze away from the streetlights he was staring at while pondering so deeply. That mysterious call just didn't want to leave his mind. He had to get into that matter. That was the only way to clear his head again. Should anything ever happen to Junjin, he'd never be able to forgive himself for that. But for now, it'd be better if his brother won't get to know about this incident. It could only get him in unnecessary danger.

 

The laptop flashed a red light - low battery. Eric looked at his typed text. Then he went ahead and put his index finger right onto the backspace key thus deleting a couple paragraphs, “Bull.” He scoffed.

 

Being mentally absent, he had basically written nothing but nonsense.

 


 

So sorry for the lack of updates these past few weeks. My sister (who's technically responsible for this plot) got busy with school and I've been having a tight schedule as well, so we ended up dropping the fanfic's monday/tuesday schedule. Now we recently got around to work on this chapter to make at least some progress. Tomorrow another "character profile" chapter will follow and then we'll see how it goes ^^;; Please make sure to show your support, it might motivate her to work more frequently on the fic. Otherwise it would be a waste to let the story hanging when it has such potential ;)

 

Thanks for reading~