Lifeless

4:23 PM

The new guy was strolling around the town; he planned to memorize its details within the day so that tomorrow it wouldn’t be hard for him to go to his new school. As he strolls, the feeling of isolation lingers on his system, as if he didn’t belong to that town. It got stronger as he started attending his classes. For the longest time of his life he became friendless…

***

  Takaki closed his eyes and placed his head on his arms resting on the table. It’s only the start of the class but he didn’t bother to listen to what his teacher is saying, yet he managed to sleep.  This is what happens every day he went to school; he was there to sleep and sometimes ditch in subjects where the teacher is arrogant. And apart from that, he always emits an aura of a delinquent-introvert guy that is why everyone was afraid of him.

 His morning session finished immediately, the bell rang which signals everyone that its lunch time; he waits for them to leave and when he’s sure that the room was clear, Takaki marched his way on the door and head on the school’s garden where few was hanging out. He pulls out his picnic blanket from his bag and laid it on the grass, and then he sat down and eats his melon bread. Before, during times like this, he usually eats lots of food and even asks for his friends’ bento, but since he was in his new school and doesn’t have any friend even though it’s been a month. Every time he eats his lunch he doesn’t feel satisfied, he wants more food and someone to joke to. Well he was getting used to this set up, so he didn’t exert efforts in talking to his classmates.

Time passes and the bell rang for the second time, he knows that it signals the end of the break but he didn’t move instead, he lie down on the blanket and stare at the sky. He saw some birds flying towards the east and dark clouds from where those come from. ‘It seems like it will rain’, he thought but he stay still from where he was. Silence filled the area; he closes his eyes as he planned to sleep for the nth time. Thoughts of how he was before filled his mind; he was as lively and as loud as those squeaking girls from his current class and even plays pranks on every student on his batch, but that was before. His life now was a complete turnaround.

***

The area’s silence was broken with soft tones from a playing piano, it sounded like a lullaby which enables Takaki to sleep as deep as he could. Like a lifeless mannequin. The sun starts to set as the beats of the piano becomes faster. Faster and faster and faster, it sounds like a horror show’s theme song. And the last notes became so powerful that it sounded louder. It wakes Takaki, dripping in sweat he immediately get his blanket and started running towards the school’s main gate. He heard it, he heard the piano’s creepiest sound, and he even saw a guy or a girl sitting on the music room, from its window. He heard it, he saw it, and he knew it!

It was the school’s famous ghost!