Chapter Two

Demons For Dinner

It had been almost a month after summoning Namjoon, the Sin of Anger, that Jin found himself wondering if he should just summon the demon again. Granted, he was drunk, hungry, and lonely, so he wasn’t really in the best state of mind. He had told his three demon friends he wouldn’t summon them for dinner that night, as he had promised his human friends he would go out for dinner and drinks with them that Friday.

Now he was alone in his apartment, way past midnight, staring at the symbol that had otherwise been hidden away. The three demons had suggested he throw it out or burn it, but he hadn’t. Instead, he had hidden it in his bedside drawer. It couldn’t hurt summoning Namjoon again. He had been very nice, albeit a bit grumpy in the beginning, last time.

Decisions, decisions…

Jin shook his head to clear it, but the drunken haze stayed with him. What could it hurt anyways? He had made a decision. Placing the symbol in the middle of the summoning circle, he stepped back and tried to concentrate. Putting all his will in the words he spoke, he called for Namjoon, Anger, Wrath, Satan.

“Well, well, well,” a voice greeted him. Jin opened his eyes to find Namjoon in front of him in the summoning circle. Was it just him, or was he even more attractive than last time? His hair was still blond, his eyes red again, but he was wearing a suit this time. A proper suit with a tie, all black, with the exception of the white shirt. He looked sinfully good.

Jin giggled. Of course one of the Sins would look sinfully good. It was probably in their nature. Also, great pun, he would have to say that out loud. He couldn’t let himself keep such gold to himself.

“Namjoon, I’m glad you could join me,” Jin smiled happily, before giggling a little. “And might I just say, you look sinfully handsome this evening,” he continued and burst out laughing his high laugh.

The demon looked dumbfounded for a moment before a bark of laughter escaped him. “You’re unbelievable,” he said.

“Unbelievably good looking, yes,” Jin nodded seriously, before smiling widely. “Come! I shall make us food and then we can eat it together.”

Namjoon looked like he was going to protest for a moment, before nodding. Jin stumbled slightly before he got his legs working and went to the kitchen with the demon close behind. After ordering the demon to sit at the table he started looking through the cupboards and the fridge for ingredients.

“So, what do you want to eat?” Jin asked as he made an internal list of things he would be able to make with the ingredients he had.

“Uhm?” Namjoon answered.

Jin turned around and looked at the demon with squinted eyes. “Ah yes, I haven’t made anything but kimchi fried rice for you,” he nodded, “you demons really don’t eat normal food, do you? It’s a shame really because it tastes so good when made properly.”

“The only one I know of who eats human food is my brother, Abaddon,” Namjoon told him.

“Which one of the sins is he?” he asked.

“You know I’m a Sin?”

“Of course, I have demon friends, I asked them,” Jin smiled.

“And you’re not scared?” the demon asked, looking rather flabbergasted.

“Why should I be scared? You enjoyed my kimchi fried rice,” Jin replied and turned around. “You know I think I’ll make bibimbap,” he added to himself.

“That’s… an odd opinion,” Namjoon added after a while of silence and Jin pulling out the needed ingredients.

“What’s an odd opinion?”

“That you’re not scared because I ate your food.”

“Oh, well it’s my philosophy that the people who want to harm you wouldn’t sit down for a peaceful meal with you,” Jin replied and smiled over his shoulder.

“Ookay,” Namjoon said, not sounding entirely convinced. “Well it explains your greeting before,” he added.

“Yes!” Jin exclaimed and pointed at the demon with a pot. “And wasn’t it just a brilliant pun? I am proud of it.”

Namjoon chuckled. “You be that then.”

“Now, Mr. Anger, behold the magic that is about to take place,” Jin said and held up a spatula as if it was a magic wand. “And tell me about your brothers. Or do you have sisters too?”

“Uhm,” Namjoon started, looking like he didn’t know what was going on. “To be honest, none of us are gendered, you humans just understand brother and sister better than non-gendered beings of higher power.”

“Oh yeah, that’s true, Jimin said that once too,” Jin nodded and motioned for him to go on, before turning back to the stove. Namjoon slowly started telling him about his siblings, but he never went into too many details. Basically, he had six siblings, one for each sin, and all of them were fallen angels. They hadn’t all fallen at once, but they had all been the first and most powerful to be kicked out from the Haven. Jin knew as much from stories his three other demon friends had told him and googling, but he didn’t interrupt. What he didn’t know was that Envy was a ‘mischievous little ’ (direct quote), that didn’t know when to stop playing their games. Namjoon compared the Sin to a pesky fly that just kept landing on your face with a humorous laugh.

Jin had appreciated that with a laugh of his own when Namjoon had explained that Beelzebub (Envy) was also called Lord of the Flies by some humans. The Sin also told the story of how Belphegor (Sloth) had never moved as fast as he did when he found out that an animal had been named after him. Apparently, that was one of the few times the Sin had visited the human plane willingly. Belphegor and Abaddon (Gluttony) had held a celebration feast after that. Belphegor because he had something to celebrate and feasts are a great way of celebrating without moving too much, and Abaddon because he never said no to food.

“I relate,” Jin had giggled to that. “Well made food is the best thing that has ever happened in this world. I like stuffing myself until it almost feels like I’m choking,” he admitted with a grin.

Namjoon laughed. “You would make a proper glutton demon then. I could introduce you to some demons if you’d like,” he had winked at Jin.

“Nah, I’d rather stay with the ones I know and love,” Jin had smiled back. “And now the food is done!” With no further ado, Jin added the eggs to the bowls and placed one in front of each of them.

“This looks… colorful?” Namjoon said.

“Yes, and if it isn’t up to par with the kimchi fried rice from last time, I blame it on the heavy drinking I did before I came home,” Jin told the demon, who raised a slightly judgmental eyebrow at him. “Let’s eat,” Jin said before the Sin could say anything else.

As they ate, Jin told him stories about his human friends, and how they couldn’t decide if he had roommates that couldn’t cook, a secret boyfriend, or was secretly a stripper or some other thing that was a taboo. Jin laughed off every guess his human friends made because the truth was he had dinner with demons almost every single night.

Jin became soberer and soberer as they ate and talked, but he also became more and more tired. He felt so close to dosing off, yet he didn’t want to sleep. Namjoon might be the Sin of Anger, but he wasn’t angry. Actually, he was nice and sweet and passionate about many things. Outside the night was fading and dawn’s light was making itself known.

“Okay, you need to head to bed now,” Namjoon told him sternly when Jin closed his eyes for a second too long.

“I don’t want to,” he whined in return. “And the dishes…”

“Don’t mind the dishes,” Namjoon said and rose from his chair. “Come with me, you’re going to bed,” he said as he walked around the table and maneuvered Jin from his own chair. Somehow, he managed to get Jin to bed within a couple of seconds, and then he was tucked in.

“You should come by more often,” Jin told him sleepily as he snuggled into his pillow.

“Just give a summon,” Namjoon replied, sounding amused. “As long as you provide food, I’ll happily visit.”

“That sounds good,” Jin nodded, and soon the world disappeared around him as he drifted off into sleep. When he woke at noon, the dishes were done, and a small note was sitting on his bedside table.

The food was delicious’ it said in a neat cursive handwriting, that looked too fancy to be from current times. Jin smiled and sent a small thank you back to the Sin for doing his dishes and the company.

 

Jin thought of telling his other demon friends about summoning Namjoon again, but he had promised not to summon him, so he was in a bit of a dilemma. Telling them would mean getting scolded, but not telling them wasn’t very nice of him as a friend. So, for the entire meal that Saturday he sat quietly and listened to his friends. Apparently one of the sins had made a visit to one of the Hellhound kennels, and one of the lesser demons hadn’t been doing their job. This had resulted in a trip into the dump of made by said Hellhounds.

The three demons laughed at it, and normally Jin would have laughed along, but he was feeling a bit off because of the secret keeping.

“Okay, what’s wrong?” Jungkook finally asked, interrupting their laughter at Taehyung’s statement of it being ‘a day at work’ for that demon.

“What?” Jin asked, hoping his voice wouldn’t give his secret away.

“There’s clearly something wrong here, you usually laugh the loudest at these types of jokes,” Jungkook told him, raising his eyebrow to silently tell him not to lie.

“Well,” Jin tried to start but stayed silent for a while after that. He didn’t know what to say. ‘Oh remember that Sin that you told me not to summon again? Yeah, I summoned him when I was drunk’. That would certainly make them panic of their reaction to Namjoon last time was anything to go by.

“What?” Jimin asked, motioning for him to go on.

“Well, I don’t want you to freak out,” he started, which immediately made the three demons look worried. “I summoned Namjoon again.”

“You WHAT?” Jungkook and Jimin exclaimed at the same time. Taehyung just stared at him wide-eyed, clearly sharing the sentiment of the other two.

“It was fine, he didn’t do anything bad to me,” Jin told them, trying to calm them down, “I summoned him, I cooked, we ate, he took me to bed, did the dishes and then he was gone.”

“He took you to bed?” Taehyung whispered in shock.

“Yeah, I was very sleepy by the end of the night, so he tucked me in and when I woke up, the dishes were done and he was gone,” Jin nodded.

“Ohh, wait, you meant he literally took you to bed, not ?” Taehyung nodded, seemingly less shocked now.

“Yes of course! I wouldn’t sleep with a Sin at our second meeting!” Jin replied kind of outraged. He wasn’t like that. He hadn’t even had with a human for years, why would he start with a Sin now?

“Wait, he tucked you in?” Jimin asked, sounding very much like he didn’t believe it.

Jin nodded.

“I don’t think it’s Satan,” Jimin declared. “Satan wouldn’t do that.” The other two demons nodded.

Jin shrugged. “What would I know? All I know is that I used the symbol he left behind.”

“You kept it?” Jungkook asked sounding slightly outraged.

“Okay look here, I am perfectly able to take care of myself. I know what not to do when encountering a demon, because you lot have taught me all that,” Jin told them off. “On top of that, Namjoon has not been threatening at any point in the time we spent together.”

“Yes, but-” Jungkook tried to intervene.

“I know he’s dangerous because he’s a Sin, don’t get me wrong, but until now he has been nothing but charming, if a bit confused, and a delight to talk to,” Jin told them, “and most important of all, he likes my cooking.”

The three demons looked at him like they wanted to protest but Jin raised an eyebrow at them, daring them to do so. He had all the arguments he needed to keep hanging out with Namjoon, Sin or not. The Sin had tucked him in and done the dishes. That made you an alright person, whether you were demon, angel, Sin, or the creators of the entire universe.

“Fine,” Jungkook gave in, “just… be careful.”

“Please,” Jimin added.

Jin smiled at them reassuringly. “I will.”

“Do you think you can get us on Satan’s good side?” Taehyung asked after a moment of silence.

“Tae, what the hell?” Jimin snapped his head back, obviously appalled.

“What?” Taehyung replied, widening his eyes and slacking his jaw slightly to look innocent. Jin smiled to himself. Taehyung could look like such an angel at times, but he always had a reason behind it. Usually to gain something for his own use. Sneaky little demon.

“We can’t do that, what do you think he’ll do to us if he finds out we’ve been eating with a human almost every night!” Jimin said.

“Nothing, he’s done the same,” Taehyung answered. “We don’t lie. Lying is for humans, and Satan has always been easy to anger when someone lies or is a hypocrite.”

“True,” Jimin said slowly.

“So, he won’t punish us for doing something he does himself,” Taehyung concluded. “Instead we can gain a powerful ally, and maybe we can stop being assigned to take care of Pit-fires.”

“I think that’s going too far,” Jungkook warned the other demon.

“You never know,” Taehyung replied before looking over at Jin with a very convincing smile. He never really could resist that smile.

“I’ll try,” Jin told him, to which the demon lit up.

“You’re the best!” the demon told him happily, while Jungkook and Jimin looked a bit warier.

“Don’t worry, I won’t go too far, and I won’t summon him often anyway,” Jin told the other two demons. “I would miss you guys too much.”

It seemed to comfort the two demons and they went back to eating. The rest of the dinner went well, with the three demons trying to persuade Jin to try dancing. Which he refused instantly and adamantly because that was not his thing. He needed to be drunk (very drunk) to even consider it.

 

Jin was going through the aisles, looking for the baking section. A new store had popped up closer to home than the one he usually went to, so he had decided to see what they had. So far, he had the vegetables he needed and the meat too. He was running low on flour, so it would be a good idea to buy some more before it turned crucial. When he finally found the baking section and the flour, he moved on to the candy section. Lately, he had been craving chocolate cake and who would stop him? He was an independent adult, who could eat what he wanted to.

With a small smile to himself, he tried to look around for a sign saying ‘candy’. What he found instead was a flash of blond hair on a head that looked suspiciously like Namjoon. Frowning in confusion, he went towards this person who had the same hairstyle as the Sin of Anger. He followed the head to the refrigerators where the dairy products were. Jin walked up next to him and took out a liter of milk now that he was here anyway and turned around to look at the man.

“Namjoon,” he greeted the Sin with a smile, “what are you doing here?”

Namjoon smiled back. “I can’t tell you,” he answered.

Jin hummed in return, squinting his eyes at the demon. He looked almost… normal. His hair was blond and in the same hairstyle, but his clothes consisted of jeans, a worn shirt, and jacket. The Sin still looked unearthly handsome, but it was more subdued with the choice of clothes and the shopping basket in his hand.

“Is it for a job?” Jin asked after a moment’s hesitation. He didn’t think Sins took jobs as well, just like the lesser demons.

“A job?” Namjoon replied. “I don’t do jobs, I am Sathanas. I do favors.”

“Favors? Wait, Sathanas?”

“Yes favors,” Namjoon nodded. “And one of my earliest names was Sathanas, it’s one of my favorites.”

“It is pretty,” Jin nodded, to which Namjoon snorted.

“Pretty? It’s supposed to strike fear in your heart,” the Sin told him, amused.

“People don’t really believe in demons and such around here,” Jin told him, “and I’ve seen you eat, so yes, pretty.”

Namjoon chuckled. “You are one of a kind.”

“Wait,” Jin exclaimed, suddenly thinking back to when they met. “Favors? You did me a favor by killing that mouse, does that mean I owe you?” He felt a little worried suddenly. He had promised the three demons that he would be careful with Namjoon. Owing him a favor was not being careful.

“No, you fed me in return,” the Sin told him.

Jin sighed in relief. “Do you owe me then? For the second meal?”

“No, I did your dishes,” Namjoon said.

“That’s why you did the dishes?”

“Of course.”

“I thought you were being nice.”

The Sin laughed loudly. “I don’t owe people, I never leave favors like that hanging,” he told him, “however, I did take you to bed, and that was me being nice.”

“Oh… well thank you for that,” Jin smiled.

Namjoon shrugged it off as if it was nothing, but he looked slightly uncomfortable.

“Why are you shopping then?” Jin asked, but remembered the Sin said he couldn’t tell him. “Like, not why are you shopping, but what are you shopping for?”

“Well,” Namjoon said slowly, “I am baking a cake.”

“Baking? Can’t you just whip it into existence with your demon powers?”

“Then it won’t taste right.”

Jin nodded. That made sense. “I’ll help you if you want? I’m baking myself today.”

The Sin looked thoughtful for a moment, clearly thinking it over. “What would you like in return?” he finally asked.

“Uhm…” Jin tried to think of something. “How about you do the dishes again?”

“You don’t want something else? Something to increase your standing in the world? Power?” Namjoon asked.

“Well, of course I want a lot of things,” Jin told the Sin, “but I want to do these things on my own. I want to earn my abilities and standing, and I’ve never been power hungry.”

Namjoon looked at him for a moment, clearly dumbfounded. “You have to be one of the purest humans there is. It’s a shame you’ll probably end up in the Haven instead of with us.”

“You don’t know what I’ve done,” Jin answered, “and isn’t hanging with demons a one-way ticket to hell?”

Namjoon threw his head back and laughed. “Usually, yes, but the things humans usually ask for are a lot less… innocent,” he grinned, his eyes shining bright red for a moment. He looked downright gleeful with the thought of what humans had asked for and Jin knew it must have been horrible things. For a moment he was actually scared of Namjoon and the things he had done through the centuries. It had to be horrible things, like murder and torture. However, then he remembered the way the Sin had dug into his food, eating heartily and the conversations they’d had.

The other was one of the Deadly Sins for a reason. Jungkook, Jimin, and Taehyung were scared of him for a reason. However, Namjoon was also sweet. He did what the humans asked of him of favors, and in return, he gained favors. Jin wondered what he did with those favors. And was there ever anyone that sold their souls, just like the stories. He knew the three lesser demons didn’t take whole souls, but they did expect payment in terms of memories, emotions, and stuff like that.

“You look a little taken aback,” Namjoon interrupted his thoughts. “Are you finally scared of me?”

Jin looked at the once again red-eyed Sin. “Nah, I’m just wondering who told you to bake a cake as a favor,” he answered jokingly.

“That’s a lie,” the Sin told him, frowning.

“No, it’s a joke,” Jin told him. “I know you guys appreciate honesty, which is kind of ironic, seeing as sins and demons are usually the ones connected with lying.”

“True, but that’s a misunderstanding,” Namjoon sighed, “we don’t lie, that’s for humans. We simply make the actions and thoughts humans have an easier reality. Human beings would find other ways to do it anyways, and it is a good way to get back at the that threw us out in the first place.”

Jin put a hand on Namjoon’s arm. The Sin looked almost sad. “Yeah, I get it,” he nodded. “But! I like you guys, you’re good company, which is why I kind of hope I’ll end up with you guys instead of in the Haven.”

“Truly, you are one of a kind,” Namjoon laughed and took out a carton of cream from the refrigerator in front of them. “However, you need to do something bad then, and even then, you’ll end up being tortured, so you won’t be able to hang out with your little demon friends.”

“That’s why it’s a ‘kind of’ and not a full-on hope,” Jin grinned, but in his heart, he felt a prick of sadness. He would miss the three demons and Namjoon. “Now let’s go bake those cakes! We can use my kitchen.”

Namjoon nodded and followed him around the store as Jin got the rest of the stuff he needed. They talked a little about this and that until they reached Jin’s apartment.

 

 

Second chapter, whoop whoop!

For those who know me, yes I know, this is very much out of character having a chapter out so quickly, but hey, is not a bad thing ;)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it

Peace Out (^_^)v