Photograph

The Perfect Recipe

Prompt by hotterthanasummer: I think it was on Sukira, when they were talking about photography Myungsoo said he'd like to make a photobook of Dongwoo. So I was thinking something cute based around that, maybe with an awkward Myungsoo and a shy-despite-himself Dongwoo going somewhere special for a couple of nights of photoshoots.


 

Myungsoo and I are going home and I can see, from the quick glances I’m able to steal at his face, that he isn’t alright. He seems confused, displeased. Of course, I know enough to understand why. I am probably the only one who knows him that much and who can understand every emotion that he keeps locked behind his serious, impassive expression. The members of Infinite know him well of course, some better than others, but they haven’t been there with him all the time like I have. Because every day and every night, I am here with him, going unnoticed.

Another look at his face and I immediately go back to the discussion he’s had with the CEO. Said man has just announced to Myungsoo that he can make a photobook of Dongwoo, just like he had mentioned he’d like to do on a radio show. And in this business, when the CEO says you ‘can’ do something, it means you ‘have to’ do it. I am sure the man thought it was good news to him though – and everyone would have thought the same. But I know better.

I know better because I was there too, a few weeks ago, when Sungyeol confronted Myungsoo about his strange behavior towards their hyung.

 

Sungyeol came into his friend’s room, gently closing the door behind him, and silently made his way to the bed, where Myungsoo was sitting with his laptop, eyeing him with a weird look. Honestly, the weird look was justified, because everybody knows Lee Sungyeol is usually the opposite of gentle and silent.

“Hyung, you’re creeping me out.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. “Why does everyone always think I’m creepy when I’m serious? I have tons of serious discussions all the time, you know? Like, the other day, I was talking with Sunggyu-hyung about our schedule. Oh and that other day, I was talki-”

“Okay, I get it. Now, what do you want?”

The taller man stopped in his tracks and looked around, as if remembering he had a purpose in coming here. For someone who always claims he has a perfect memory, he sure forget about things really fast. “Oh, right!” He hit his fist in his palm in a victory gesture. “I’m here to talk to you about Dongwoo-hyung.”

Suddenly, Myungsoo averted his eyes and looked back at his computer screen, trying his best to look indifferent. “What about him?”

His friend huffed and closed the other’s computer in an annoyed gesture. “Come on, you think I haven’t realized how you look at him?” He marked a pause, analyzing his friend’s reaction. But, as always in these kinds of situations, his face was impassible. “You know, I think it was that time when you talked about taking pictures of him on Sukira that I understood there was something going on with you, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it yet. But then, I observed your reactions, and it all seems clear now: you like him.”

After a few seconds of silence, the younger answered. “Of course I like him, he’s my hyung. What are you even talking about, Sungyeol?” That was his innocence card. Always pretending he didn’t understand what people are talking about to avoid questions that bothered him. Too bad for him Sungyeol is a stubborn one.

“Are you seriously going to ignore what I just said? Come on, I’m your best friend, you can’t fool me! If that’s the case, then I’m going to let him know about your undying love for him this very instant!” He got up, but of course didn’t go far, because his friend was holding his arm, his face a dark shade of red.

“Please don’t! So what if I like him?” His eyes were fixed on the floor.

“What if you like him?! Then do something about it! Like, confess or something!”

Myungsoo’s eyes immediately found Sungyeol’s ones. “I won’t. I can’t. We’re Infinite, we’re a band, we’re brothers. I can’t put the balance of the group that we worked so hard to find on the line because of this.”

“But-”

“There’s no ‘buts’ hyung. I just can’t and you know it. Since it’s apparently obvious, I’ll just try to… keep a distance from him from now on.”

And to mark the end of the discussion, Myungsoo opened his laptop once again, acting as if the other wasn’t even in the room anymore. His cover of indifference was on once again.

 

That’s how Myungsoo, Dongwoo and I end up in an awkwardly silent ride to the middle of nowhere. I know Myungsoo is really nervous he might screw something up. He was forced into this, but he still has to do his best, just like everything he does. As for Dongwoo, I can’t really tell if he’s driving in silence because he’s concentrating on the road – which doesn’t seem to help his terrible driving at all – or if he’s as uncomfortable as Myungsoo, because he’s noticed the way the latter has been avoiding him. But no matter which one it is, the atmosphere in the car is still heavy.

When we finally arrive, I can’t help but get excited at the view. I heard that it was the CEO himself who chose the location, because it was the perfect balance between the wilderness of nature, the historical feeling of the old temple and a touch of a modernity that always finds its way everywhere. The colors, the light seeping through the heavy green leaves of the trees, the ethereal feeling given by the soft sound of a small water stream not far from here; everything is perfect.

A couple of hours later, the two friends have eaten and put up the tent. Dongwoo has changed his clothes and they are ready to start shooting. We get lost in the midst of the woods and Dongwoo starts pausing. Myungsoo has his eye against me and these are the moments I live for, when both our points of view merge and I know that we see exactly the same thing at the same time. He presses the button, once, twice, and my single eye closes before opening again, freezing the memory forever. But I soon realize, from my position between them that the awkwardness is still there, preventing Myungsoo to get what he wants. After a while of fruitless attempts, Myungsoo sighs and takes me away from his face.

“Hyung, it’s not working.”

Dongwoo crouches and leans against a tree, his face in his hands. “Yeah, I know. I’m sorry Myungsoo-ah, I’m just not really into it yet, I guess…”

Myungsoo runs a hand through his own hair and I know what it means. He’s struggling to keep his impassive façade on. He makes his way to Dongwoo and sits next to him, carefully placing me on the ground and from where I am I have a view of the two.

“No, it’s my fault.” Myungsoo pauses and his lips. I wonder for a second if he’s going to follow Sungyeol’s advice. “I’ve been… distant these days, and I didn’t think things would turn this awkward.”

Dongwoo analyzed his friend’s face for a few seconds before redirecting his eyes on the ground. “So you’ve really been avoiding me. Hoya kept telling me that it was just my imagination. You’ve been like that since the CEO told you about the photobook… I can tell you don’t want to do it.” He turned to Myungsoo once again and shot him one of his huge smiles. “So let’s just get it over with as quickly as possible and go home, okay?”

Myungsoo opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again. The day goes on without further discussion, but at the end of the day, the pictures are not capturing anything. The deep colors, the magical feeling of the forest, Dongwoo’s natural wilderness – nothing is in there.

 

Today, after a sleepless, stressful night, we are resting next to the small water stream, the soft noise of water flowing strangely soothing, and Dongwoo finally comes to find his friend.

“Ah hyung, you’re awake!” Myungsoo shots him a small smile, but his heart isn’t in it.

“Yes… Have you slept at all, Myungsoo-ah?”

Silence, during which Dongwoo sits next to the younger, and the latter answers. “Not really. The pictures aren’t good, it’s not working at all.”

Only the flowing water and the buzzing of some insects can be heard for a while. Then Myungsoo lets out a heavy sigh and I know what it means.

“Look, hyung, I guess… I have something to sort out.” His friend realizes that the younger is nervous – hell, he’s close to terrified – and passes an arm around his shoulders, an arm that probably only makes Myungsoo even more nervous. “There’s a reason why I’ve been avoiding you. And it’s not that I don’t want to make a photobook of you, because I really do. I really meant it when I said it on the radio. But you’re really handsome-”

For the first time in two days, he’s cut off by Dongwoo’s laugh and I can see a small smile make its way on Myungsoo’s face at the sound. He really must have missed this. “But I’m really handsome? Isn’t that supposed to be an advantage for a photobook?”

Myungsoo rolls his eyes in a playful manner. “Let me finish!” He waits for his friend’s giggles to calm down and continues. “The fact that you’re handsome is obviously not a problem for the photobook, it’s a problem for me.” Now, Dongwoo only looks confused. His friend doesn’t make sense anymore. “Well, it wouldn’t really be a problem if you were just handsome. But hyung, you’re also funny and smart and incredibly talented and you’ve got that huge smile that brightens everyone’s day and that loud laugh that always makes Sunggyu-hyung cover his ears, but I love it and… And that’s it really. I love everything about you. More than a friend or a dongsaeng or a band member should. I love you, hyung.”

The hand on his shoulder loses some strength, hesitates and disappears. Myungsoo’s eyes close and I can clearly see the hurt on his face, so much that it hurts me as well. But the hand only disappears to go cup Myungsoo’s face delicately. When the latter opens his eyes, he’s faced with a really red Dongwoo, who somehow doesn’t seem to be able to look at him in the eye.

“Myungsoo-ah, you can’t imagine how worried I’ve been… I thought you hated me all this time. I…” He finally manages to cross the younger’s gaze. “I love you as well, you know…”

Then Myungsoo smiles that cute smile of his, all dimples and shining eyes and closes the distance between their lips. And I can’t help it. I know I’m not supposed to do it, but if there is one time in my life that definitely deserves it, I know it’s now. I close my eye for a fraction of second and a shutter noise echoes through the woods.

“Myungsoo-ah, did your camera just make a sound?”

And I wish it could make it to the book, even though I know it is impossible, because this photograph is simply perfect.

 

~ Piou0102 ~


 

So yeah, this drabble is written in the point of view of Myungsoo's camera. Maybe it's weird, I don't know. xD This drabble was written for hotterthanasummer, I hope she'll like it! >w< Also, her stories are great, so go check them out if you haven't! ^^

As always, leave a comment to tell me what you thought and leave a prompt if you have any idea! :)