The stranger

The Perfect Recipe

Sunggyu kept walking in the rain. He didn’t pay much attention to the droplets flowing down his body because he knew that he had nowhere to go anyway. Where could he go when no one in this world knew him? He was used to this. There was not really any other option, not when he had to go through his 22 years on life without anyone by his side.

He looked around him. He had no idea where he was. Not that it was any surprising, because he had taken the habit to spend his days walking around aimlessly, searching for one person that he felt existed somewhere. He sighed and his eyes went back to the muddy road in front of him. However, after merely a few seconds, he felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around to find a really worried face.

“What are you doing here in the rain? My god, you look terrible! Come here, my house is right there!”

Sunggyu stared at him blankly. “Do you… know me?”

The man took his arm and started dragging him towards the small house before answering above his shoulder with a frown. “No, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to let you die here.”

Once inside, the man threw a towel at him and pushed him inside the bathroom, telling him that he should take a shower before getting sick and looking even worse than he already did. Sunggyu did as told without a word and was surprised to even find a set of dry clothes waiting for him when he got out of the hot stream of water. He changed and got out, following the low humming to find the man cooking something in the kitchen.

He cleared his throat to announce his presence. “I think I’ll be going now.”

The other turned to him in a second and started scolding him. “Of course you’re not going anywhere! It’s still pouring outside!” Then his tone softened and he smiled, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. “You can stay here until tomorrow if you want. I don’t know what happened to you and why you were walking along in the rain, but you look like you could use a friend.” He turned back to the counter to keep cutting the vegetables and seemed to remember something. “Oh by the way, my name is Dongwoo.”

For the first time in so long, a smile made its way on Sunggyu’s face. “I’m Sunggyu.”

A couple of hours later, he was sitting next to Dongwoo in the large sofa, sipping on hot chocolate while listening to yet another one of the man’s stories and he prayed that Dongwoo was the one. The one who would know him.

Even under the warm cover that the man had brought him to sleep on the sofa, he couldn’t fall asleep for even a second that night, his heart beating incessantly at a quick pace.

So as the first rays of light seeped through the windows, he got up, changed into his own clothes that had dried during the night and got out of the house. There, he took a deep breath to give himself some courage and pressed the doorbell. He had done this way too many times before, but refused to let all hope disappear. He heard a man clumsily run down the stairs and, after a few seconds, the door opened on an obviously really sleepy Dongwoo, who looked at him confused.

“What do you want? Do I know you?”

Sunggyu’s heart shattered in a thousand pieces. He should have known, really. He was used to this. And yet, it still hurt the same. When it got out, his voice was weird because of the lump in his throat.

“I’m really sorry, I think I got the wrong house.”

 

And he was back to walking aimlessly along unfamiliar roads. He really should have known better.

He was a mayfly. He lived for the day, then his existence completely died in everyone’s memories each time the sun got up on the horizon. To everyone, he was no one.

He was used to this. And yet, this time, he couldn’t help but be angry at himself. He should stop believing in a miracle. Because at the beginning of the day, he was still as alone and even more hurt.

He heard a car arriving behind him and put his thumb up. At least he wouldn’t have to walk that much today. The car stopped next to him, window down.

“Where are you going?”

“Wherever.”

The man in the car chuckled. “Well then, I guess we’re going in the same direction. My name is Woohyun by the way.”

A sigh. “Sunggyu.”

He made himself comfortable in the passenger seat and looked at the road, waiting for the car to start moving. But after a few eventless seconds, he looked at the driver, confused. The man was looking back at him, apparently lost in his thoughts.

“I’ve seen you somewhere, haven’t I?”

Sunggyu’s eyes widened as his heart skipped a beat.

“Oh yeah! You came to my shop the other day, right? I have a good memory when it comes to cute people!”

He shot him a huge smile and Sunggyu started crying.

 

~ Piou0102 ~


 

Okay, so apparently, I like to write weird fantasy things... x) At least, this one has a happier ending that the third drabble! :p

As always, if you liked it, comment and subscribe! :) And tell me if you have any prompt for me (I got my first one and I was sooo happy and it's going to be chapter 8 and I love it! ><).