The Call

119
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1:

The Call

 

His dim surroundings turned duller. He felt his blood starting to rise in temperature as he tries to sound calm and collected.

Another prank call.

It was—he can’t even remember how many prank calls he had received today. He lost count. It is part of his job—well, expected to be a part of it. Everyone in his department had experienced it yet he couldn’t seem to get used to it no matter how hard he tries, regardless of how long he had been in this field.

Kim Ryeowook works at South Korea’s emergency hotline, 119. He had been in this job for almost three years. Besides creepy and emergency calls, this type of callers keeps getting under his skin.

With a loud thud, he ended the call along with an irritated groan.

“Another ty call, huh?” Leeteuk, the head of their department, asked although he knows what Ryeowook’s answer will be.

“Yeah…” The other replied, stretching his back and arms. He took a last, deep sigh afterwards. Ryeowook looked around, listening to the noises coming from the keys being pressed, voices talking over the line, footsteps walking by, and the sound of the documents and files being looked upon.

It was a usual day at work.

He glanced at his wrist watch while waiting for another call to be answered. It will be only a few minutes until he can finally go home. This time, he sighed with relief. He leaned his elbow to his desk and placed his chin on his hand, waiting and waiting to call this a day and rest at home. Maybe he will answer five of more calls.

“119, what’s your emergency?” Ryeowook spoke with his calm voice, answering another call. It was Leeteuk who brought him in this job, knowing how tender his voice sounds and how composed he could be. It was suited for this completely. His calming voice and sharp thinking had convince Leeteuk to take him in, not to mention his distinct attitude.

A muffled, hard to comprehend voice had filled the line. Ryeowook’s face turned serious.

This is not a prank call anymore.

“119, what’s your emergency?” He repeated for the second time. His tone had changed into an alarmed one. After his question, he could hear sobbing on the other side. It was a male, he was positive.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter