Chapter 6

Family of Five

Gyuri sipped a little of the red smooth liquid and winced a little at its gassiness, but started smiling to herself in satisfaction of how her cocktail had turned out. 

 
Settling a glass of her cocktail onto the dining table, Gyuri sat down and raised her glass to breathe in the lovely aroma of the drink in her hand when she heard the door ledge click opened and a really unhappy Nicole came in. "Oh! Nicole ah you're back! I made some sangria, do you want to tr-"
 
"No thanks. I have no appetite."
 
Nicole replied curtly, making Gyuri frown in confusion with wonder what was up again.
 
Gyuri sighed and got up from her seat to walk to Nicole's room. Hara and Jiyoung were already sleeping so Gyuri tried to be as quiet as possible.
 
"Cole ah, come to my room for a while. I want to talk to you."
Gyuri's voice was stern with a little hint of frustration but it was definitely serious enough for Nicole to drop her stuff immediately and follow suit.
 
Gyuri closed the door behind her and signalled for Nicole to sit by her bed with her.
 
Nicole expected that she was going to be reprimanded for her attitude earlier but she had too much in a day to actually care anymore.
 
" Unnie what is it that you wanted to talk to me about? " Nicole asked, sighing.
 
" Well I'm worried about you. You seem really unhappy today. Did something bad happen at work? "
 
" Well nothing fancy happened, but i was quite annoyed with the fact that i was stood up by Seungyeon unnie. I waited for two hours. I cancelled my plans so that i could meet Seungyeon unnie for our lunch appointment because I thought she was sincere to patch things up. Turns out she made a fool out of me and wasted my time."
 
" Well Seungyeon was in bed the whole day. She didn- "
 
" Wow so she slept past our appointment which she initiated? Her sleep must really be important."
Nicole cut Gyuri halfway with her own assumption and sneered.
 
" She was really unwell just now, Nicole. With a high fever and vomiting."
 
Nicole's face softened.
 
"I know because I took care of her the whole time just now."
 
So she didnt do it on purpose. 
 
"Nicole, I understand your frustrations towards Seungyeon. I won't say that "this is just a small issue" because i understand you have your pent up frustrations. Everyone needs that timeout. It's only human, unfortunately. However some things that happen are beyond our control or prediction and for those things, we shouldn't jump too quickly to blame anyone for that."
 
Nicole sighed while Gyuri continued.
 
" You're already a grown up Nicole, i believe that you know what to do. "
 
Nicole's stomach growled and Gyuri secretly laughed a little. 
 
"Anyway, it seems like you're hungry, I'll go make something for you. Go shower first, it will be ready soon. You have a weak stomach so don't skip your meals. "
 
Gyuri pat Nicole's arm lightly and was about to leave when Nicole held her arm.
 
" Gyuri unnie.."
 
Gyuri turned.
 
"Hmm?"
 
Nicole took a step forward and wrapped her arms around Gyuri and buried her face in her shoulder in an embrace, her tears mixed with frustration at herself and gratitude that Gyuri could understand her well and definitely someone she could trust and rely on.
 
Thank you for everything Gyuri unnie.
 
Gyuri let out a smile and smoothed Nicole's hair gently. Nicole did not have to say anything as Gyuri already knew.
 
"Silly girl, we're a family."
 
-------------------------------------------
 
Seungyeon stirred a little and slowly woke up to an aroma of food. She was feeling a lot better and was feeling hungry with a vengeance since she did not eat much the day before.
 
Sliding of her bed, Seungyeon dragged herself to the kitchen.
 
"Oh unnie, you're awake! Are you feeling better?" Jiyoung's bright voice  echoed a little in hall.
 
"Yeah a lot better now. Don't you need to go to school today?"
 
"Nope school is out for the whole week! It's my vacation!!" Jiyoung chimed and grinned widely.
 
" 야. You're on vacation now but don't forget you have a test after the holidays." Hara reminded and Jiyoung pouted.
 
"Aww unnie why did you have to bring that up. That's such a wet blanket for the start of my vacation after I have just finished my exams!"
Jiyoung complained and Hara brushed her off.
 
" 아 알았어 알았어... Eat your eggs." 
 
Gyuri laughed lightly at the both of them. As expected, with Hara constantly watching over Jiyoung, she did not have to worry.
 
Everyone was gathered at the table except for Nicole and Seungyeon turned to the kitchen to see brows furrowed as Nicole added the final touch of garnish. She smiled to herself, seeing how passionate Nicole is about such details even if it was just a bowl of noodles.
 
" Finally done! " Nicole smiled in satisfaction at her own masterpiece.
 
Looking up, she saw Seungyeon and smiled.
 
"Unnie, you must not have eaten a lot yesterday. This one is for you. I hope you'll like it. "
 
Nicole placed the bowl of noodles on the table where Seungyeon was seated and everyone was gawking over the special breakfast Nicole had prepared specially for Seungyeon.
 
There were sausages, ddeokbokki, egg and tofu and some red pepper for additional flavouring. 
 
" It's kind of like a mini army stew but made it a little differently with beanpaste instead. Spicy food won't be good when you're unwell. "
 
It's my favourite dish with a twist.
Seungyeon thought to herself.
 
"Nicole unnie woke up early just to prepare the ingredients for this! 힝~~~it smells so good! I'm jealous!" Jiyoung sobbed.
 
Seungyeon was at a loss for words.
She had expected that Nicole would be furious with her for not turning up the day before and not prepare such a delicious breakfast for her.
 
"Nicole ah..고마워요...." Seungyeon was trying not to cry.
 
Nicole smiled.
 
"맛있게 드세요~"
 
"Ah unnie i want to try some!" Jiyoung whined.
 
"야 no! I made it specially for Seungyeon unnie!" Nicole protested.
 
"By the way, I was thinking that it has been some time since we've gone to the beach. When Seungyeon unnie recovers, shall we all go together?"
 
Nicole asked and Jiyoung cheered immediately.
 
"Yes yes!! YES!! Let's go!! Unnies let's go please! I'm deprived of the fragrance of the salt of the sea!"
 
Hara laughed at her enthusiasm 
 
"Yah jiyoung there's a lot of sea salt in the aquarium shop downstairs, i'll buy one for you to sniff everyday." Hara joked and everyone laughed and agreed.
 
"Unnieeeee~~!!!"
 
Gyuri who was watching everything on the side let out a soft laugh.
 
These kids really make the family whole.