Chapter 1

Family of Five

"Jiyoung ah, Hara, dinner is ready!" Gyuri yelled from the kitchen, wiping her sweat from her forehead with her forearm and heaving a sigh of relief that her battle in the kitchen was finally over.

 
The maknae dropped her pen immediately and scurried from the bedroom to the dining table upon hearing food was ready sat down, utensils ready and just waiting to be served while a sleepy hara put on her glasses and dragged herself to the table and groaned at how she had to force herself to eat again.
 
"Hi everyone I'm back~~ Oh my god that smells so great!"
 
A bell-like voice rang as the door opened and a tired and slightly disheveled Nicole walked in, only to be invigorated by the aroma of the food that Gyuri had prepared.
 
"Nicole ah, you're back! You're just in time for dinner." Hara smiled, while she lay the last dish on the table.
 
"Wow it smells really delicious~~" Nicole was about to pinch on a slice of ddeokbokki when seungyeon slapped her hand away in disapproval.
 
"No food before you shower! You're sweaty and stinky!"
 
"But I'm hungry seungyeon unnie~~~"
 
"No means no, go and shower first!"
Nicole groaned and grumbled while jiyoung giggled at nicole's misfortune, only to be reprimanded by gyuri for being rude. Hara plopped her head against her arm, yawning at the entire drama in front of her until finally nicole was out of the shower and they could start eating.
 
"mmm unnie thish ish great! It's super delishious today! What did you put inshide?"
Nicole asked gyuri, full of ddeokbokki, and seungyeon frowned at her boorish habit.
 
"Well i used the usual spices and seasoning, probably just prepared with more love today since seungyeon helped out." Gyuri joked and seungyeon pretended to choke, while the maknaes laughed at how their unnies were being silly.
 
After dinner that night while everyone was sound asleep, Gyuri was still awake, her insomnia acting up as usual. She sat on her bed in her room, and was reading another one of the philosophical books from her bookshelf. As she did, she started feeling sleepy since the content of the book was a little deep and it was a little tiring for her mind. As she put back the book on her laptop table beside her bed, she caught sight of a photo frame, and in it was a photo of all of them which made her smile..
 
Coming to think of it, it was an unusual family of five since none of them were blood related and all of them were girls. They grew up together and seungyeon and herself took the responsibility to raise them as the older sisters and provide for them each a decent education so they could live better lives after. None of them knew their family background before that, but it didn't matter because all they needed was one another now.
 
Hara and Nicole were now 21 and they have started working while jiyoung was 18 and still schooling.
 
Hara was the smart one in their family, the fashion geek whose suggestion and tips on styling everyone in the household would ask from. She topped her level easily and was always popular amongst her classmates and teachers for being brainy and pretty. At home she's the sensible one, even helping out with housework and financial management and at the same time,helping jiyoung with her schoolwork. Seungyeon had even mentioned once that if there was anyone more capable of keeping this house together other than herself it would be Hara, of course not without an argument with gyuri for the unintentional offence in that statement that came after.
 
Jiyoung was the most adorable but also the laziest in the family. She hardly helps out with the housework but hardly studies much as well. As a result, she doesn't do as well in school as her unnies hope her to and gets nagged on by both of them often for not taking school as seriously as she should be. Recently the unnies had seen more improvement in her attitude towards studies, even though there's still room for a lot of improvement in terms of contributing to the household through helping out with chores. Probably living in the same room with Hara had helped. Although the same can't be said for Nicole.
 
Nicole was the cheerful and lively one in their family. However she had a bad habit of staying out late clubbing and partying often which was very unhealthy much to seungyeon's disdain. As a result she gets into arguments with seungyeon often but then being a person whose bark is worse than her bite, seungyeon would end up buying nicole's favourite ice cream to patch up with her. And nicole being a foodie, would happily accept it with no question.
 
Seungyeon was the person gyuri was most thankful for. There was some truth in the fact that other than seungyeon being capable of keeping the family together, hara would come after and not gyuri. Seungyeon was always the one who disciplined the younger ones and kept them in check most of the time even though Gyuri was the oldest. Gyuri would occasionally remind them that she's aware of what they're doing but trusts that they were old enough to start thinking maturely. Seungyeon however begged to differ and that's why to the younger ones she's always the naggy old woman. But Gyuri knew that seungyeon only did so because she's overly worried about them.
 
Even so with such differing personalities, many years have passed and Gyuri was glad that they were still bonded as a family.
 
As she looked at the photo from their outing at the beach, Gyuri couldn't help but smile as she fell asleep with the photo frame held close to her heart.