Chapter 3

Family of Five
"You kids have some explaining to do. What's going on?"
 
Seungyeon frowned and folded her arms.
 
"I wanted to bake some muffins and ended up making a mess, i'm sorry i'll clean it up." Nicole hung her head low, hoping she wouldn't get too much of a lashing from Seungyeon.
 
Of course that was too much to ask.
 
" Do you know how long it took me to clean up the entire kitchen just this morning and you just waltz in here 2 hours later and mess it up for me!? Look at the entire place! Do you understand why I'm so mad!?" Seungyeon yelled, and Hara tugged at Nicole's sleeve to signal to her that they should continue cleaning up the kitchen.
 
" No! I don't!" Nicole retorted, with much bitterness in her voice and her eyes tearing up.
 
" I don't understand why you're always so mad at me! Every time i make a mistake you stone me for it like i murdered someone! I already said that I'll clean up the kitchen? Why do you still chide me to make me feel even worse? Do you ever care about how I feel? Huh? Seungyeon-sshi?"
 
"Are you saying that I'm unreasonable!?" 
 
Seungyeon raised her voice and Jiyoung who had been doing her homework came out, worried about what was happening outside.
 
"YES!"
 
Gyuri stepped in and pulled nicole aside to cut off the argument before anyone could hurt each other further.
 
"Nicole, that's enough. Let's stop it already."
Gyuri intervened.
 
Nicole still wouldn't back down.
 
"Why are you staring at me like that huh? You really hate me, don't you? You hate me because I couldn't do as well in school as Hara did, because at my age I'm still earning too little to keep up, you hate me because I'm such a problematic child to you, don't you? Fine, since I'm giving you such a sore eye, I'll move out."
 
Nicole stomped into her room to pack up and leave.
 
"Nicole ah..!"
 
Gyuri ran in the room and closed the door behind her. 
 
"That girl really drives me nuts sometimes!"
 
Seungyeon grumbled and Hara sighed.
 
"Unnie, i think that you went a little too far just now."
 
"What!?"
Seungyeon snapped at Hara who was frowning a little.
 
"It wasn't something to make a mountain out of a molehill. Moreover we were already cleaning up. In case you didn't know, Nicole actually woke up early to bake the muffins for us even though it's the weekend. You should try one, and it should explain everything."
Hara reasoned.
 
Seungyeon then went to the kitchen where the remaining cupcake muffins were and took a bite of a small crumb and frowned in realisation. 
 
"It's my favourite flavour...."
 
Jiyoung shook her head and went back to her room to study.
 
Hara then walked to the room where Nicole and Gyuri were in.
 
"I don't understand why she makes a huge fuss out of everything i do!"
 
Nicole complained and started packing her stuff into a luggage.
 
" Nicole ah, why are you so rash! Can't you calm down and talk things over?" Gyuri chided, her voice stern but not demanding.
 
"I've done enough talking with her already. Every single time, she does it again and again. Try putting yourself in my shoes Gyuri unnie. I never once felt appreciated by her!"
 
Nicole cried, and Hara went over to comfort her.
Gyuri sighed and rolled the computer chair towards nicole and sat in front of her.
 
" Nicole, i know it can be hard to get along with Seungyeon because she can be really demanding sometimes.
No matter how tough it is, you must remember this: we are a family.
 
We bicker and get over it and bicker again and patch up. It's a cycle that's unavoidable. But the reason we can  still go through that, is because we're a family. Everyone has their flaws and strengths, even I do too."
 
" how can that be if you're a goddess.."
Nicole joked which livened the mood and Hara and Gyuri laughed.
 
"Cole..Just because we're not blood-related doesn't mean we aren't a family. We will always be a family no matter how tough things get. Do you know that the person Seungyeon's most worried about, is you? "
 
Nicole's eyes widened and almost wanted to laugh in disbelief.
 
" Unbelievable as it sounds, it's true. Seungyeon would always talk to me about your financial stability in your job and how hard you always work but your remuneration isn't measuring up to your efforts and we would discuss on how to help you so that you can be more financially stable. She even suggested that maybe we could open up a bakery so you could make your own living while doing what you love most. We actually wanted to discuss about it over a good lunch since it has been a long week for everyone. We were going to prepare army stew for lunch.."
 
Nicole remained silent and gyuri continued.
 
" Seungyeon might be a hard nut to crack, but once you do, you'll find that she's actually really soft on the inside."
 
"So you cracked her nut?"
Nicole joked again. Only to earn a smack from Gyuri who blushed in realisation of the double entendre in her own words and a few giggles from Hara.
 
Gyuri regained her poise almost as quickly as she lost it and smiled at Nicole, cupping her hands over nicole's.
 
"Thanks Gyuri unnie.."
Nicole sniffed and smiled.