Truth or Dare

Alone Together

A/N: As promised, a sequel for the wonderful @YouAreMySecret :-). Enjoy!


Ever since that night that my best friend met the bronze, Greek god, she has dragged me back to that same club every Friday night for six weeks straight. And every week, our conversation goes something like this:

“Pleeeeeeeeeeease you have to come with me! I told Jongin that we would meet up again this week!”

“Then go ahead and meet up with him.”

“I can’t go alone! That makes me look so desperate, like I have nothing else to do with my Friday night, and that I am specifically going to see him! I can’t let him have the upper hand like that!”

“But…you ARE only going specifically to see him…besides, you like him, right?”

“Well, yes, but I can’t let him know that!”

This is around the time when she sighs heavily, drags me to her closet, and treats me as her human mannequin, holding up variations of a short dress, tossing garment after garment onto her bed until she is satisfied with her selection. Then she usually shoves me down into a chair in front of her vanity to put on the maximum amount of makeup that I will allow (which isn’t much). Before each product she whips out of her drawer, I automatically protest, “Ugh, another one?” to which she always responds, “Don’t you care at all about attracting a man? Boys are drawn to flowers, not beehives. Jongin always comes with his entourage—you should get to know them! Maybe one of them will be your type.”

Little does she know, I have been spending time with one of them every week we have gone there so far, and have been thoroughly creeped out by the rest of his friends. “Uhhhhh yeah, I think I have seen his friends there,” I respond. I’m surprised that Jongin hasn’t mentioned anything to her about Kyungsoo and me; between being Kyungsoo’s roommate and their loud-mouthed ‘beagle’ friends, there is no way that Jongin doesn’t know. Maybe Kyungsoo asked him not to tell.

“Ok, you are all set. Now just…sit over there and don’t touch your face, and don’t move,” she commands, “I need to get ready now.” She should’ve known better than to help me prep first. Within minutes I am laying on her bed, legs propped straight up against the wall. She catches sight of me in the mirror and groans loudly, “You are lucky I didn’t do your hair!”

Paying her no heed, I pull out my phone and send a message to Kyungsoo.

Me: Lucky me, BFF is dragging me out again tonight. You gonna be there?
Loner: Are you sure you don’t keep going with her in hopes of seeing me?

Me: Pffft. You wish.

Loner: I’ll be there. My friends are relentless.

I smile to myself as I remember the night that we breached the wall between silent strangers and allies.

It is at the end of the third week that we had exchanged phone numbers. We had moved on from silence to small talk that night, and as it nears closing time, I notice his three other friends (who I had learned are Jongdae, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol, or ‘Idiot 1’, ‘Idiot 2’, and ‘Idiot 3’, as Kyungsoo affectionately calls them), waving their arms in our direction and holding their hands up to their ears to mime a phone.

“Um…are your friends trying to get you to call them? Or do I even want to know?” I ask hesitantly.

Kyungsoo narrows his eyes at them and growls under his breath before responding, “Those idiots are reminding me to ask for your phone number. They think that ‘Surely three dates is plenty of time to get Riyoung’s phone number. You should’ve gotten it on night one!’ I think that’s probably why they keep forcing me to come back here, because it seems like you and I have made very little progress.”

I clutch my chest dramatically, “Ouch, and here I am, thinking that we have a real connection, and you keep coming back just to see me.” Glancing towards his friends to make sure they are watching us, I stretch my hand across the table and motion for him to hand me his phone.

“You don’t have to do this, Riyoung,” he protests.

“I know, I know, this is reaaaaaally selfless of me, but I am willing to sacrifice my phone number if I can save you from this fate of wasted Friday nights that I am doomed to endure. You have half a second to give me that phone before your friends figure out that you are a total liar,” I reason with him. Kyungsoo hesitates for that half a second before sliding his phone across the table. “Good life choice.” I type my name and number into his phone and pause briefly before handing it back to him. “Two things: 1) don’t you dare give my number to any of your friends. And 2) don’t drunk dial me. Ever.”

I can see the gears turning in his head before he flashes his heart-shaped grin and asks, “So…sober dialing is cool?” I am about to chide him for being Idiot 4, but before I can respond, he is standing at the end of booth, ready to leave.

“Thanks, for another relatively painless night, Riyoung. With any luck, we won’t be seeing each other again. Have a good one!” And off he goes to meet his friends. Even in the loud club, I can hear them hoot and holler as they high five him, ruffle his hair, and slap him on the to congratulate him on his victory.

Secretly, I wish that our third night will not be our last.

That was three weeks ago, and the phone number swap did little to deter the beagle line’s plans to bring Kyungsoo out every weekend. Last week (week 5), I had officially met the beagle line, and as nerve-wrecking as their interrogation was, I have to admit that they are a very entertaining bunch. I am also fairly certain that there is something going on between Baekhyun and Chanyeol, but that is a story for another time. They embarrassed the crap out of Kyungsoo, telling story after story about his awkwardness, his nonexistent love life, and various other unflattering moments before he silenced them with a swift smack to their heads.

Same as last week, I find myself alone as soon as we step inside the club, my friend immediately, fleeing my side to find her boy toy. I roll my eyes and head towards our usual table, feeling a smile spread across my face as I spot it already filled with a group of familiar people.

“Hey, boys,” I greet them, in a sarcastically flirty voice, “Do you have room for one more? I’ll make it worth your while…” I don’t know what they are expecting, but their faces all look decidedly crestfallen when they see it is just me. “Geez guys, way to make a girl feel like complete crap. I’ll just be on my way, then.” I start to walk away, but Jongdae grabs my wrist and pulls me down into the booth next to him, apologizing profusely. His grip on my arm hasn’t loosened, and from the other side of Jongdae, Kyungsoo reaches over and pries his hand off me.

“So now that we are all here, how about a game of Truth or Dare?” Baekhyun suggests, “It will definitely be more fun with Riyoung around. House rule is you have to take a shot for each dare you refuse to do or each truth you refuse to answer.” The suggestion is met with cheers from Chanyeol and Jongdae, while Kyungsoo is wearing a look that obviously says ‘This is a terrible, terrible idea.’

The game starts out with everyone giving each other incredibly embarrassing truths and dares, in an attempt to get everyone drunk before the real game begins. “Alright, let’s get this started!” Chanyeol proclaims, “Riyoung, you are up first. Are you as crazy about Kyungsoo as he claims you are?” I make a choking noise and Kyungsoo just about lunges across the table to strangle him.

“Uh….what has he told you, exactly?” I question, looking Kyungsoo straight in the eyes to try to figure out what the appropriate answer is to keep from blowing his cover.

“Nothing. I haven’t told them anything. A gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell,” he replies quickly.

“Ohhhhh, iiiiiinteresting,” Baekhyun drawls dramatically, “So you have kissed? When did that happen? It surely didn’t happen under our watchful eyes while at the club, so you must have been seeing each other outside of here!” Kyungsoo looks like steam is coming out of his scarlet ears, so figuring it would be better to not respond, I just smile coyly.

Jongdae starts to stand, joking that he feels like a third wheel between Kyungsoo and me. “You don’t need to answer; your behavior makes it soooooooo obvious that you are totally smitten.” The game goes on for over an hour, before the beagles announce that after one more question or dare, they are going to head home to their shared apartment to catch some Z’s. Unfortunately for Kyungsoo, the last turn is his.

“Screw it, give me a dare,” he says lazily

The other boys’ eyes dart back and forth, as if communicating telepathically, before the same mischievous smile spreads across each of their faces, “We dare you to walk Riyoung home.”

We look at each other blankly before looking around at the rest of the table, obviously confused. “Wait, that’s it?”

The trio of troublemakers smiles knowingly at each other before replying, “That’s all it starts with…whether that is really the end of tonight or not is completely up to you two.” They have the sense to quickly exit the booth (Jongdae even ducking under the table to make his escape) before Kyungsoo and I can get our hands on them. I can’t help but laugh as they run out of the building, waving behind them.

“I guess we should get going—how far do you live from here?” Kyungsoo asks after a while.

“It’s ok, you don’t have to take me home—it was just a game.” I respond.

He shakes his head, “Be sensible, I can’t let you walk home by yourself at this time of night. Besides, if I don’t do it, they will find out somehow and it will just be worse the next time. Just this once, ok?”

I can’t find a good reason to argue with him, so I stand up and smooth my skirt while he too exits the booth. I lead the way out the door and down the street to the apartment that I share with (you guessed it!) my best friend. Luckily we don’t live very far, so the awkward journey is relatively quick and painless. We arrive at my front door and both linger for a while, not sure how to say goodbye.

“Well, uh…thanks for walking me home, Kyungsoo, you really didn’t have to,” I say first.

He scratches at the nape of his neck nervously, “Yeah, don’t mention it. Actually on second thought, do mention it if the Idiots ask, because they won’t believe me if I tell them I did.”

I chuckle and scold him for being so mean to his friends, “They really aren’t that bad, you know. They just…care about you.”

“If that is them showing they care, I’m curious to see what it’s like if they don’t care,” he says, shuddering at the thought. “Alright, well, have a good rest of your night?”

“Yeah, thanks, you too,” I respond, as I turn to punch in the passcode to the door. I push the door open and haven’t even taken a step inside when I spy a pair of unfamiliar, male shoes in the entry way. That can only mean one thing, and it is something I don’t even want to think about.

“Uh, Riyoung, is everything ok?” I hear from behind me. I guess Kyungsoo has been waiting for me to physically be inside my apartment before he is willing to leave. I pull the door shut and turn around to face him sheepishly.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but…can we go back to your place?”