Photobooth

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jung Hye’s POV

The moment Jonghyun pulls me into the photo booth, my senses are overwhelmed by the bright lights, upbeat pop music and the colourful display screen.

I have to say, I’m rather surprised when Jonghyun suggests we take some photos at a photo booth. I mean, whilst Jonghyun does indeed love looking at himself all the time, he just didn’t strike me as the type to want to take photos. But then again, he never really seemed to be the type to plan such a nice date either, so I guess he really is full of surprises.

I find myself once again reaching for my wallet as I watch Jonghyun rummage through his for coins to insert in the machine but stop myself when I remember his earlier reaction.

I’ll just stick to helping him secretly.

‘Okay, get ready!’ Jonghyun announces as he sits down next to me after pressing the ‘Start’ button.

I snap out of my daze, ‘Wait! We didn’t decide on what poses to do!’

His eyebrows furrow in confusion, ‘Poses? Don’t we just smile nicely?’

I sigh, of course guys will not be as experienced in this! ‘No! It takes three photos! I gesture towards the screen, where the countdown had already begun, ‘Oh my gosh, time is running out! Okay let’s just do a nice one first!’

We both turn to the front and smile just in time for the bright flash that blinds my eyes.

‘Now let’s do a silly pose!’ I say as I proceed to simultaneously scrunch up my nose and stick my tongue out.

Jonghyun begins to protest, ‘What! A silly pose? Why would I want to ruin my good looks? Let’s do-- ’

The light flashes again, cutting Jonghyun off mid sentence and I begin to laugh as I prepare for my next pose.

His eyes widen in realization, ‘No!! I wasn’t ready! How can it just do that? Hey! Jung Hye! Stop posing, we need to restart!’

Ah, poor, poor little Jonghyun, I really need to teach him some photo booth skills after this. But alas, time is running out.

I keep an eye on the timer in my peripheral vision as I hold my peace sign and smile.

Three…Jonghyun finally stops complaining.

Two…

I feel something warm and soft press against my cheeks. What? Did Jonghyun just-

One. The light flashes again.

I blink as my mind registers what had just happened. I turn to face Jonghyun, only to see him looking intently at me as he smiles, ‘Wow! What is this?? Are you blushing Jung Hye!? Have my incredibly good looks and charming personality managed to turn the heart of a KFC man to that of a giggling teenage girl?’

‘You wish!’ I retort, gently shove him to the side as I make my way out of the photo booth to take a look at how the photos turned out.

I inspect the photo strips. The photo in the first frame is pretty nice, like the one we had taken in the dog café. In the second frame, Jonghyun’s face is turned towards mine and his lips are slightly parted. Unbelievable, despite not being ready for the photo, Jonghyun still managed to look good. How unfair.  He must be those super photogenic type of people!

My eyes drift to the third frame and immediately I feel my face heat up.

‘Hey, I really like these photos.’ Jonghyun’s face is dangerously close to mine as he peers over my shoulder, ‘the last one is the best! Man, do I have perfect timing!’

For once, Jonghyun isn’t exaggerating. In the frame, there’s the tiniest curve in his lips which are pressed on my left cheek and although my eyes are slightly larger than usual and my mouth is half open, I still looked alright. Nevertheless, I pout at him, ‘I wish you had told me! Then I could’ve been prepared’

‘Nah, then you wouldn’t have such a cute and surprised look on your face.’  He tucks his copy of the photos in his wallet and then holds his hand out to me, ‘Come on, we’ve got a bus to catch!’

Even as we walk towards the bus stop, the spot where he had kissed me continues to tingle.

Maybe what Jonghyun said was true, my feelings towards him had really turned me into one of those girls I use to roll my eyes over.

And I didn’t even care.