Unexpected

There's a Boy Under My Roof!

Jung Hye’s POV

As Mr Park droned on about the importance of memorising all the trigonometry identities, I took the opportunity to survey the room.

It was strange how familiar yet different this particular situation was. I have been in Mr Park’s class for three years and it’s always been the same old routine. Yoo Mi has always been seated next to me, except today she instead of passing notes to me, she was doodling hearts dreamingly into her notebook (no surprises as to whose name she was writing inside those hearts!). The boy who sat on my other side was no longer an unknown stranger but instead was Lee Taemin, someone who I have gotten surprisingly close to over the last month.

The seat next to Yoo Mi which had been empty ever since Sooyeon left a couple of years back, was now seated by a brown haired guy who despite having a face that was too good looking for his own good, still resembled a gorilla. A guy who liked acting tough and strong but could ultimately scream louder and higher than most girls when faced with a roller coaster. A guy who was unfairly good in cooking and even more unfairly talented in music. A guy who looked good wearing a tuxedo and a guy who was a mediocre dancer. A guy who didn’t know when to stop talking and a guy who’s incredibly infuriating yet still adorable.

Then there was myself. I would no longer be returning home to a house that was larger than necessary, an over enthusiastic mum and a barely present dad. Instead, I would be walking home with said brown haired guy to a small one bedroom apartment. I would-

Would Kim Jonghyun of Grade Three please report to the office immediately.

The words which came out of the overhead loudspeaker startled the classroom and stopped the teacher from speaking.

All heads turned to look at Jonghyun who appeared both confused and surprised at the words.

“You better get going Jonghyun, it sounds important.” Mr Park said as he nodded at Jonghyun.

I stared at Jonghyun as he stood and calmly walked out the room amidst the low murmur of curiosity which had broken out among the other students of the class.

Yoo Mi who had stopped doodling shot me a worried look. What’s up? she mouthed.

I dunno, I answered truthfully as I gave a clueless shrug. To be honest, I was worried; you were only ever called to the office via the loudspeaker if the news was very important and judging by the tone of voice, it probably wasn’t good news.

I found myself distracted for the rest of the lesson as my mind ran through the possible list of reasons as to why Jonghyun would’ve been called to the office.

The moment the bell rang to signify break time, I shoved my things into my bag and headed straight for the office.

Jonghyun’s POV

“Kim Jonghyun?” The lady behind the desk asked as I pushed open the office door.

I nodded.

“Please go right to the principal’s office, she’s waiting for you.”

“Thanks.” I frowned as I quickened my pace, this seemed more serious than I had thought. But it was strange because for once, I couldn’t think of a thing I’ve done wrong since coming to this school.

The principal was reasonably young with brown hair pulled back into a tight bun.

“Kim Jonghyun?”She questioned as she waved for me to sit. Her usual cheerful disposition was replaced by a grim expression.

“What happened?” I asked as I cautiously took my seat.

She hesitated before she clasped her hands together, “It’s about your father.”

Crap. No. No. This cannot be good. No. Images of my coughing father, of that dusty dimly lit room, of his slow movement and gruff voice filled my mind. My fingers dug into the soft leather of the armrest, “Is he alright?” I stupidly asked because of course he wasn’t alright. I should have known he wouldn’t be alright. Last time I visited him the signs were all there. I shouldn’t have left him alone.

“The neighbours found him passed out in his living room”

I should have found him. I should have watched after him.

“It appeared that he had suffered a ,”

An image of him fumbling for his cane flashed in my mind. I have to take care of him, I can’t let there be a repeat of what happened with my mum. I can’t.

“He’s currently in the emergency unit of Seoul Hospital and is in a stable condition but unconscious. It is—”

No. He can’t be like mum. No. No.

“Jonghyun? Jonghyun! You can’t--”

I grabbed my bag and ran out the door.

Jung Hye’s POV

“He ran out?” I repeated in surprise, “he just ran out of school?”

The office lady nodded curtly and pointedly returned back to the computer, signalling that the conversation was over.

What could have happened to have him run out the school? As I walked out the office, I pulled out my phone and began dialling his number.

Pick up, pick up, pick up, I willed while I listened to the dial tone.

Sorry the number you have dialled is currently-

I hit the redial button.

Come on Jonghyun!

Sorry the number-

I hit the redial key again.

“Jung Hye!” A familiar and distinct voice called out from behind me.

A moment later Key showed up beside me, “Hey! What’s up?”

I frowned as I pressed the redial key, “Do you know where Jonghyun is?”

“No, I haven’t seen him all morning...why? What happened?” He asked, noticing my not exactly happy appearance.

“I don’t know,” I sighed and closed my phone, “he was called to the principal’s earlier and apparently he just ran out of school.”

“Ran out of school? Huh typical drama queen,” Key chuckled and gave my shoulders a pat, “don’t worry, I’m sure it’s nothing too big.”

“You think so?”

“Well, there isn’t exactly anything we can do right now...” he paused, “at least wait until after school?”

Key’s right. Even if he answered his phone, it’s not like I can just run out of school and find him. Jonghyun is a bit too dramatic at times and maybe I’m being worried for no reason.

“Alright...” I replied. Besides Jonghyun and I live in the same apartment and he is bound to come home, so I can just talk to him then right?

Right, I nodded in resolution.
 


A/N: Sorry, sorry, sorry for the extremely late update and sorry for the short chapter. There is nothing more I can say except sorry ;___;