dances.

enha uni high. [discontinued] READ LAST CHAPTER!
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Hello, everyone! Just 4 Girls are back!" The quartet greeted the 20 CUBE crowd.

There were loud, welcoming cheers while they introduced themselves.

"I'm Yeonae."

"I'm Wonhee."

"I'm Seulae."

"And I'm Jinri."

The four bowed while speaking as a group.

"Please watch over us kindly and thank you for waiting."

Melanie took over the ment with a smile.

"So, we've been told that due to popular demand, we have a thirty-minute segment instead of the normal time frame."

Loud cheers filled the cafe, almost deafening. The four were surprised and sheepishly laughed at the audience's reactions.

"Wow. Thank you."

The cousins returned to Seoul just two days ago, catching up with their co-workers for anything work-related and life in general along with their school friends. Still, the cousins couldn't find it in themselves to have the talk with four particular persons, leaving it up to chance. Soon enough, the group performed several songs consisting of Bittersweet, LALALILALA, Three Times A Day, Lilac, TWINKLE STAR, and Loca to name a few of their setlist tracks. There were even a few impromtu songs in the setlist and time flew by and the four finished their segment before casually dining-in with their friends and watched the other acts alongside them. Yet again, the female quartet could feel the slight tension from the male quartet and wondered if they'll get through the rest of summer peacefully.

"Aww, don't we all look gorgeous for Seori's birthday party!" Haeyoon squealed, while admiring her friends in their dresses.

The quartet found themselves at Seori's home in Gapyeong a few days later on a Wednesday evening with a majority of their friends. They were amazed by the size and overall realization that their friend was from old money. This would be the first time mingling with the elites of sorts.

"I still think it's a little too much." Both Kierra and Serena commented.

The cousins each wore an a-line off-the-shoulder asymmetrical chiffon lace cocktail dress with sequins alongsdise a lace-like choker pendant necklace with matching high heels and feathered sequin and laced masquerade eye masks on behalf of Haeyoon. Linna in sky blue, Melanie in lilac, Kierra in daffodil, and Serena in mint green. Seori's party happened to be masquerade themed which eased the quartet's feelings, but the only ones they knew for sure were their school friends.

"True, but there's no turning back." Melanie reminded them with a chuckle.

"I still can't believe we're here and celebrating with the elites." Linna commetned as she admiring their surroundings

"It's always exciting!" Kana chimed in, hooking arms with her.

"You'll love the food for sure."

"Anyways," Jangmi directed the conversation elsewhere, "Let's go greet the birthday girl. She'll be happy to see y'all's faces."

"Seori looks like she's not having any fun." Serena commented once the group greeted their friend and wished her a happy birthday.

Kierra agreed with her cousin.

"Yeah, you can definitely see it in her eyes despite the fake smile and the mask obscuring her facial features."

"Yeah, and the party barely started." Melanie  followed up with as Linna softly scoffed.

"I mean, doesn't look like much of a fun party, but a social gathering for parents.

"That basically sums it up." Haeyoon deadpanned with a dry laugh.

"What do you mean?" Kana inquired, curious.

Jangmi explained further.

"Let's just say it was more for the parents to engage and form potential connections at the expense of their children."

"Wow, that ." Serena muttered with a shake of her head.

"Is there any way we can do something?" Kierra asked hopefully.

Kana, Linna, and Melanie chimed in on the possibility of doing so.

"Ooh, if we can, then I'm down."

"Me, too."

"Oh, yeah, definitely."

"Hmm, we shall see." Haeyoon replied before casting the group a playful look.

"Ooh, let's go reserve our partners for the dances."

"Reserve our partners for the dances?" The quartet repeated.

"Oh, yeah. You don't know about that." Kana commented before smiling.

"It's really fun and this year due to the masquerade masks, it'll be even interesting."

"How so?"

The quartet were still left clueless as as Jangmi glanced at them with a comforting smile.

"Don't worry. It's quite easy to follow and having a partner makes it go by faster."

Jangmi changed the topic.

"Now, let's find the others and grab some dinner."

"It really does feel more like a business function than a college girl's birthday party." Serena mumbled, glancing around as those closes to her heard her comment.

"Seeing this side of Seori makes me pity her though." Melanie commented after glancing over at said friend, sitting with her family instead of with her school buddies.

"Yeah, Seori hasn't had a normal birthday party since she was born." Jyurie informed with a sad face as Chaeyoung nodded.

"We tried to do one when she moved out with us, but it never worked out."

"Man, that really ." Kierra commented as Linna sighed.

"I wish we could do something for her."

"Me, too." The others agreed.

"Well, worry about that later because now it's time for the dance." Rosie reminded them with a playful grin while holding up a slip of paper.

"Let's go find our matches!"

Earlier before eating, the quartet figured they would scout out potential dance partners to arrange something, but it wasn't like that. The system Seori's parents had set up where same-aged people would dance with one another. The women would pick out a piece of random paper from the designated box where the men were already given their numbers. How this worked out, the quartet had no clue. Still, they wondered what would happen with those that didn't get chosen or if they ran out of numbers, but went with the flow along with their friends.

The others also explained to the cousins that the family always held the dance segments at their parties as it allowed for guests to dance with one another to get better acquainted to help build the social network if they haven't properly met. If they had met previously, then it only made the communication easier to handle later on. The group also hinted that it implied that this whole thing made it easier to find highly potential candidates for the kids to find a possible marriage partner.

"Remember, it's nothing serious, and you're more than welcome to opt out if uncomfortable." Romi assured the quartet.

"Also," Nakko interjected with a mischievous smirk, "Tell them a fake name and they'll never know due to Seori's party theme."

The quartet heeded their friends' advices while reminding themselves this was Seori's party and to have fun for her. They were able to shake off any nerves they may have had and calmed down after inhaling and exhailing slowly a few times. Once they discovered who their dance partners were despite the face masks, they wondered if fate really wanted them to pursue this path, actively, or for their own entertainment.

"Do you think they'll make a good couple?"

"Huh?"

Serena and Heeseung were sharing a dance as he asked her about a random couple dancing a few feet away from them to start a conversation. He repeated his question with a curious yet amused look.

"I asked if those two make a good couple."

"Uh, maybe?" Serena responded with a shrug after checking out the said couple.

"You don't think they make a good couple, Rena?"

He cast her a sweet smile yet Serena wasn't so sure if he was being serious or not with the odd question. Serena had opted to give him a false name, but thought better of it as she didn't feel like making up one and settled for a nickname instead.

"I mean, they look nice together, Heeseung, but I don't really know them that well to judge if they do make a nice couple or not."

"I see. Well, if it helps, Seon has liked Romi for some time now."

"So, you do know them and just wanted to tease me?"

Heeseung chuckled with Serena joining in although she wondered if Heeseung figured out who she really was.

"Something like that, yes. Anyways, the two have liked one another since we were younger. Her heart-eyes were so obvious whenever he was around and I would always say that I was going to tell him, but didn't."

"Wow. Don't be mean, Heeseung. Romi is a stron and sweet person, but you need to stop teasing her."

Heeseung smiled.

"I'm not and she is a sweetheart. I just hope that Seon treats her well if either of them confesses."

"Me, too."

Serena's eyes scanned the other pairings and spotted her friends. She couldn't, but help say her thoughts out loud.

"Aww, Mind and Hanbin are so cute. They're even matching. So is Megan with Youngbin. Wow, that's fast but I'm glad they worked out. Ooh, even Seori is smiling while dancing with Euijoo. That's the first real smile I've seen since her party started. They're so cute. Everyone's cute."

Heeseung watched Serena as her face lit up with the mentioning of their friends. The corners of his lip quirk upwards, findng her very familiar.

"By the way, Chaejin," Heeseung began as Serena hummed, not catching the name he had just addressed her by.

"Hmm?"

"Will Simplistic be opening again any time soon?"

It was a serious question as Heeseung realized he missed eating the rice balls the shop sold.

"I'm not sure. Jaekyung is still overseas and I don't know when she'll be back."

Realization soon hit her and she locked eyes with Heeseung's.

"Wait. Did you just call me, Chaejin?"

"Mmhmm."

His eyes stayed focused on hers.

"Unless you would still like me to call you, Rina, instead?"

"Either one works."

She flashed him a small smile, but shifted her eyes away from his, wondering why cliche plots had to pop up now. Heeseung chuckled, knowing she had just become flustered. The pair remained quiet in a somewhat comfort silence between them while dancing.

"What's your favorite dog breed?" Jake asked Melanie as the pair share a dance.

Jake has been asking Melanie's question after question, but her answers were more or less vague.

"I don't have a favorite one, but they're alright. You?"

"A cream border collie."

"That's very s

Please log in to read the full chapter