Chapter 21

Jennie: Best of Me

Elijah

 

Two years since coming back, he creased his mind and body with his compact daily schedules. When you say his name, all you can think of is money, fame, and power. Today, we will get to know more about this young man. The Nation's Favorite Boy, London's It Boy, and the man behind Blackpink, Elijah Ellington.

 

The photography for the cover of Elle Korea’s November issue was completed with Elijah Ellington's flagship charisma and mood. Elijah displays an overwhelming aura with his eyes and reveals a new appeal, wearing coats without inner-wear.

 

In an interview that followed the photoshoot, Elijah openly talked about his personal life and his success in the business industry. He also spoke about his role in Blackpink's success.

 

To a question about the difference between Elijah at work and Elijah at home, he answered, "Elijah at work is full of self-confidence, and he is a fancier and stronger person. But at home, he is an introvert guy who has many thoughts in his mind and who wants to rely on family and friends.”

 

"Recently, I went to France for a couple of days. I must admit that I have been riding the plane as much as I have been waving my hands. I treat this trip, even though a bit work-related, a personal one. The starting point of the trip was in Deauville, where I spent time with people I met while studying abroad and ending it with a visit to Paris. I didn't do anything in particular because there was no intention of work."

 

He just wanted to have some private time. He went to his favorite restaurant in Paris and even visited the Eiffel Tower and cruise around Seine River. Away from his life in Korea, he was in his natural appearance, without a care, a total stranger and traveler.

 

About the time he was to return to his home country, photos of him taken at Paris become a hot topic on the internet, "Elijah Ellington's appearance in Paris" became an issue. Wearing a light jacket, a simple white shirt, and a baseball cap, he had an ordinary appearance. Dating rumors began to rose once again, as he was rumored to be with an unknown mysterious girl on the said trip.

 

"Yes, I was with someone. She's a good friend of mine. I've known her since I was in my teenage years." Elijah confirmed when he was pressed to reveal if it is true that he spent his Paris trip with someone.

 

"I don't usually wear hats, glasses, sunglasses, and more to hide my identity when I was still studying. When I am traveling abroad, I hope you'll pretend that you have not noticed me, I don't want to hide and lose my freedom of traveling by wearing glasses and sunglasses. It is like playing hide and seek. I want to wear sunglasses and hats because I want to, not because I need to." He said when asked about his style when traveling.

 

In Paris, Elijah is no more than an ordinary traveler. He knows how to put down himself and mix in with the crowd. The freedom he felt on this trip released energy when he entered again into his life in Korea.

 

Away from the spotlight, Elijah's life is loose and leisurely. Under any circumstance, whether serious or not, he will not give a special meaning to it. He just needs to know his place in the situation, protect the area, and observe.

 

"People are getting curious about what my next plans will be. People ask things like am I going to focus on business, return to the fashion industry, or join the entertainment business, but honestly, I don't know. When I am resting, I don't usually think about work. I'll happily enjoy the leisure time I don't usually have."

 

Recently, Blackpink is getting bigger in the entertainment industry. Its influence is infinitely expanding not only domestically but all over Asia and America. The sense of responsibility of Elijah becomes even more critical after this, and he has clearly understood that he needs to work harder.

 

"Managing a K-Pop girl group is a battle that needs time and patience. I have been working with Blackpink for three years already, and I've known them since their first days as idol trainees. On the other hand, I've known Jisoo since I was three. They are not just some projects I need to fulfill. They are my family. I'm so proud of everything they are right now, and I can't wait to see the women that they will become in the future."

 

He also received a lot of love from the Blackpink fans for his continued hard work for the group. People say that without him, the girls won't reach this far.

 

"I'm not comfortable when people say that Blackpink is the fruit of my labor. They've been working hard since they were 14-15 as YG trainees, and I think it's unfair to give me most of the credit for their success. They are who they are right now simply because of their continued love in music. They are here in this position because they believed in themselves and trusted the people around them. It's not solely because of me, but the whole team."

 

Chaeng finished reading my interview in Elle Korea's November issue, while the three other girls silently listened to her. I was playing with Beom and Dalgom to kill some time.

 

"Oppa, sign my copy. I'll sell it to buy a new camera. It will cost a fortune after wearing that y outfit in the cover." Lisa started to tease me.

 

"I'll sell all your funny photos on my phone. It will cost a fortune, for sure." I answered her back while laughing.

 

"I have a bunch on my phone as well, Oppa." Jennie started to tease Lisa, too.

 

"It will be the end of you if we expose all your photos," Jisoo added, making Lisa scream.

 

"The four of us can live comfortably for the next fifty years if we sell Lisa's funny photos. Let's have a meeting when Lisa is not here." I continued to tease Lisa, who is now jumping like a kid. "By the way, your manager will pick you up tomorrow at 7 am. Go to sleep now. You will have a long day tomorrow."

 

The three girls start to get ready to go back to their unit. I looked at Jennie, who is still sitting comfortably on my sofa with Beom.

 

"Don't forget to lock and turn off the lights later, Jendeuk." Jisoo reminded her. "We'll be going now. Go back home early. We will be up early."

 

The three girls left to get ready to sleep. "Hey, unknown mysterious girl. Jisoo will have a hard time waking you up tomorrow if you don't go to sleep now." I told Jennie after joining her on the sofa.

 

Jennie frowned at me and threw her arms on me. "Can I sleep here tonight?"

 

"No. You need to get up early." I said while playing with her fingers.

 

"You act as if your place is three neighborhoods away from ours. It's just next door. Tss." She rolls her eyes at me while pouting her lips.

 

I pull her body and kiss her. I the bottom part of her lips, then gently nibbles it. I placed soft kisses on her jaw until my lips reach the back of her earlobe. "I've been dying to do that since I saw you coming out from the door," I whispered.

 

"Then, let's kiss each other all night. Let me stay here." Jennie, who is now on my lap, said.

 

"You need to sleep and rest. You will be dead-tired tomorrow, for sure. Two days from now, it's your first-ever concert in Seoul. How do you feel?" I asked her. This weekend, they will perform in Seoul for a two-day concert.

 

"I'm excited, but super nervous! Do you think my decision to perform my solo single in the concert before officially releasing it is a good idea?" She asked me.

 

I see worries on her eyes. She decided to perform her debut solo track on the group's two-day concert in Seoul. This decision is hard for the management as the song will be officially released the day after the show, but Jennie wants to perform her solo debut track in front of the Blinks.

 

"You decided to perform it at the concert as gratitude to the Blinks. Loving and appreciating your fans will always be the best thing you can give to your fans. So, performing it in front of them is one of the best things you did in your career." I rubbed her back when she leaned her body on me.

 

"Are you joining us at the concert rehearsal tomorrow?" She asked me.

 

"I'll be there after my final exam. Take care of your ankles, alright?" I started my MBA at Seoul National University last year. It is a 16-month intensive program, and I already finished the first half of the program.

 

"You are the most amazing person I know. You go to work at KIA and YG and go to school at the same time. How can you do it?" She asked me while looking at me.

 

"You are more amazing. You are patient, hardworking, and passionate at everything you do. That's why I need to be amazing, as well." She pouts at me, so I can't help but kiss her. "Miss unknown mysterious girl, you need to go home. Jisoo will kill me if she'll have another hard time waking you up."

 

"I'll work harder, so if someone saw me having a romantic date with you, I won't be that unknown mysterious girl." She stands on her feet and pulls me. "Bring me next door."

 

"It's just that you are too small, so no one had the chance to take a good look at you." I laughed.

 

Last day of the Seoul concert

 

I was watching the girls perform the encore song on the last day of their Seoul concert. I went out to take a good look at them while they slowly cross out one of their dreams in their career bucket list. I was moved when I saw Jennie stopping midway of the song, crying as she was enveloped by her emotions. Jisoo sang Jennie's part while her best friend is overwhelmed by emotions. The atmosphere became emotional, as Blinks started to cry as well. It was one of the best nights I experienced in my life.

 

Following the first Seoul concert over the weekend, Jennie released her solo debut track. The digital version of "SOLO" debuted at number one of the South Korean digital, download, and streaming chart, while the physical edition debuted at number two of the album charts and sold more than 48,000 times in South Korea. Jennie performed "SOLO" four times at SBS' Inkigayo four times and won three times. In the same month, Jennie performed her debut song at the SBS Gayo Daejeon, alongside "Ddu-Du Ddu-Du", and the iconic performance of Blackpink at the said event was born.

 

"I feel fat," Jennie said while checking herself out in the mirror. I am at their unit, sitting on the sofa while holding a milk-flavored ice cream. "You should stop me from eating!" She said before digging a spoonful of ice cream.

 

"Ya! Beom-ie almost broke my body. He is so strong and fast!" Lisa, who just came in from taking Beom for a walk, sat beside me and the television. I pet the dog that was given by Jisoo on my birthday last year. He is so much bigger and stronger now but always acts like a small puppy when inside the house. The five of us shifted our focus on the anchor when my name was mentioned.

 

"Yang Yunjin of Yunjin Group of Companies showed his support to the Armed Forces of the Republic of Korea once again after donating military equipment including a fighter jet for the Air Force. The highly-influential and powerful family is known to be a supporter of the military, but with the businessman's only grandson's highly-anticipated enlistment, is it another case of an influential family using power and money to influence the Military Manpower Administration?

 

Elijah Ellington, the future of Yunjin Group, received a considerable amount of favor from the MMA in the past. From submitting his request for delaying his military service late when he was abroad up into delaying his military enlistment by taking an MBA at Seoul National University in 2016 and now, after graduating from his MBA degree, there are reports that he will yet again delay his military enlistment. The public has divided stand in this issue, but after the generous donation of the influential family and reports surrounding the enlistment of the youngest member of the clan, people now begin to wonder." The main anchor, who is known to be a critic of Yang Yunjin, finished reading the news report.

 

"I don't personally know Yang Yunjin, but I know his son Yang Hyun-suk as we enlisted in the military together. I admit that he was treated a bit differently in the military, but never to the point that it is too much. It is more about his security and the people around him. He enlisted the military during the time that their business is expanding in foreign countries, and there were threats of kidnapping." The other anchor responded. "Regarding Elijah Ellington's enlistment, everyone can file a request to delay the enlistment. Whether he is the youngest member of the most powerful family in South Korea today or he is an average Korean male, he has the right to file a request given that he completes all the necessary documents needed."

 

"The issue right now is if it is just a coincidence the family donated to the military amidst the rumor of another request to delay the enlistment of the youngest member of their family." The critic said.

 

"I'm not here to judge, but there is a possibility that it is. If that is truly the case, I think they are trying to delay until the new law in shortening the mandatory service passed."

 

The claims are true. My grandfather is trying to get on the military side so I can be comfortable once I get in the military. The rumors about requesting another delay of the enlistment date are correct, as well. He wants me to start serving in the military once the bill of shortening the mandatory military service for Korean males is already approved. I will be a hypocrite if I say that I don't like what my grandfather is doing. Every healthy Korean male is subjected to the mandatory military service once we turn 19. I was born in America with an American father and a Korean mother. I have dual citizenship made possible by the revised South Korean nationality law passed in 2010, wherein the government legalized dual citizenship. I can retain both of my citizenship as long as I won't exercise my foreign nationality in South Korea. Even with dual citizenship, I still need to perform my duty in the National Defense by going to the military for the mandatory service. I delayed my military enlistment twice already, and my grandfather wants to delay it again to wait for the bill to turn into law first.

 

"What do they babbling about? Everyone, if given a chance, tries to delay military enlistment. It sounds normal if it is with Korean actors and idols, but not with Elijah? They act as if Elijah is dodging the enlistment." Jennie, who can't hide her disgust, blurted out.

 

Jisoo pet Beom first before giving her thoughts. "It's because of El's family. It's politics. What's unfair is they turn Elijah's enlistment a national issue. They act as if he is already 28." Jisoo laughs, still petting my dog.

 

Koreans can delay their enlistment, but needs to enlist before turning 29 years old. I tap my lap to call Beom, and he immediately runs to me. "Beom, today, we will learn how to bite Jisoo." Jisoo throws a pillow at me. I cuddle Beom, who is so huge now. Kuma and Dalgom start to bark loudly at Beom. We are now surrounded by five pets, three dogs and two cats. Leo and Luca are Lisa's cats, and another kitten is on the way. Within the five pets, Beom is the biggest, but he is the most gentle. He doesn't bark when inside the house, sleeps all the time, and plays carefully with Kuma and Dalgom, as well as the two cats.

 

"Lisa, make sure there is enough food for the cats! Last time I took care of them, I need to cook chicken in the middle of the night." The girls will return to Thailand for the Blackpink encore concert. They will do three shows in Bangkok to finish off their world tour. Blackpink's popularity increases massively, especially after the Square Up era. They performed in Coachella, attended American TV and radio shows, sold-out their North America and Europe concert. They broke records after records, got nominated in several international music award shows, sold thousands of albums, and receive multimillion views on YouTube. I look at Dalgom and talk to the dog. "Dalgom-ie, your mom will leave you again. She doesn't love you." Jisoo takes Dalgom from me before throwing another pillow at my face.

 

Blackpink's manager calls Jisoo to tell her to prepare everything as they are on the way to pick them up. They will be leaving this afternoon for Bangkok and will be back a few days after. "Did you checked everything? Are you sure you didn't forget anything?" I asked Jennie when the three other girls went to their room to check everything. "What's with the face? It's just five days, Hun." I by pinching his cheeks.

 

"I'll miss you." Jennie hugs me and Beom, who is on my lap with Kuma. I pulled Kuma closer to my chest, tries to imitate a small voice. "I will miss you, too, Mom. Beom, and I will miss you. I'll be a good son to Elijah."

 

Jennie laughs while hugging me tighter. "You're going to let your son call you by your name only?"

 

"I'm a cool dad," I answered her, and I heard the doorbell rang. "They are here, Ni. Take care of your ankles."

 

"I'm still upset I won't be able to attend your graduation ceremony," Jennie said.

 

"Everyone will go crazy if you go. It's better that way." I kissed her goodbye when their manager arrived to pick them up. "Call me when you landed in Bangkok. I love you, mon amour."