Chapter 20

Jennie: Best of Me

Jennie

 

"You look perfect, mon amour," Elijah whispered after leaning on my side a bit after removing something from my hair. We, together with other guests, boarded the Orient Express to come together in Clairefontaine racecourse to launch the latest fragrance collection from Chanel. I was in awe of the luxury set in front of my eyes. We are riding a 5-star luxury train service that would take us to a front beach luxury villa where the launch and after-party will be held. "Are you alright?" He asked me after locking my hand with his.

 

"I'm just a bit nervous." My hand is sweating since boarding the train half an hour ago. Prominent personalities and celebrities are all around me, making me nervous but amazed at the same time.

 

"Get used to it, Jennie. You'll be around these people a lot in different Chanel events in the future." Scott, who looks great in his outfit, leans a bit to give me a peck on the cheek.

 

"I'll try my best," I told him while laughing nervously. "You look great, by the way."

 

"Oh, thank you. You look charming with your cute outfit. Chanel suits you well." He winks at me before shifting his attention to Elijah. "El, take good care of your girlfriend. You won't like it if she falls in love with this handsome french guy, whose name is Scott Wertheimer."

 

"Keep dreaming, Scott," he answered him cooly. Elijah tilts his head and places it on my shoulder before giving Scott a playful look.

 

Scott throws a slice of bread in Elijah's direction. "Wait until I expose you two on Chanel's website, flirting nonstop as if taking a honeymoon trip."

 

We both laugh with his sulking. "Bye, Scott. Go take care of business while I spent precious time with my girlfriend." Elijah waved while grinning at Scott, who looks tempted to tackle his best friend. Scott looks around to check if people are looking at their direction before throwing another piece of bread to Elijah.

 

"Is it okay for us to act like this around these people?" I asked him after Scott walks away to entertain other guests. I love that we can enjoy this trip like an average couple, but I'm worried if we are being so carefree.

 

"Most of the people in here are businessmen, some are celebrities who don't care about people around them. The photographers are from Chanel, so we don't have to worry." He explained to me patiently. "I can even kiss you right now if you want." He added before winking at me.

 

I can feel my cheeks blushing after his sudden teases. "Ya. Stop it."

 

"What?" He asked me while acting innocently. "Do you want to look around? We still have an hour before we arrive at Deauville."

 

We arrived at Deauville after almost two hours of traveling from Paris. We spent some time in the mesmerizing villa to shoot some photos for Chanel's portfolio and website. Elijah took several pictures of me and shot some content for his YouTube channel. We had lunch with other guests before starting the official launch of Chanel's new fragrance on the beachside. I enjoyed the launch so much that I never felt I was here for work. We were given two hours to rest and prepare for the after-party of the successful launch. I heard a knock, and a handsome Elijah came out from the door. He looks amazingly beautiful in a white Chinese-collared linen shirt partnered with simple black pants and a formal jacket.

 

"Where's Jennie Kim, Maeng noona?" He asked my makeup artist who can't help but smile with his silliness. "Mademoiselle, did you see a small Korean woman who looks like a cat. She looks like an adorable kitten in the morning, but will transform into a dangerous leopard cat when the sun sets." She asked me seriously, still joking around.

 

"Stop it, Oppa. How do I look? Am I not overdressed? Is my makeup too light? What do you think?" I asked him continuously, but he only smiled at me.

 

"You look perfect as always." He answered me while opening a bar of chocolate. "Maeng noona always makes you look stunning. I'm beginning to believe that she wants you to find someone else. Are you Jaewon-ie's hater, Noona?"

 

"Stop with the aegyo, Oppa." Jae-won is Elijah's Korean name, and people who work for his family usually call him that as his family addressed him as Jae-won or simply Won.

 

"So, be a good boy and take good care of our dear Jennie." Lee Sang-won, who is our manager, said while removing the dirt from Elijah's shirt.

 

"Manager Noona!!! I'll tell Yoon-ie about this." Elijah hugs the manager and asks her about little Jiyoon, our manager's five-year-old daughter.

 

Elijah has always had a good relationship, not only with his team but to everyone who works in the company. He is adored by the employees, especially the managers. Our relationship is an open secret within the staff that is closely working with Blackpink. I sometimes wonder why the CEO still has no idea of our relationship, but seeing how close he is with the staff, I believed that they are also protecting our relationship by keeping their mouth closed. They are our fairy godmothers and fathers, and I will always be thankful to them.

 

I check myself out on the mirror one last time before standing up. "Don't worry too much as everything will be as perfect as you look right now," Elijah whispered before helping me standing up from the chair. He sets his attention to the staff who is waiting for his instructions. "I'll take care of her, so don't worry. Enjoy this night, order food or stroll around the vicinity. Let's all have a great night."

 

Elijah leads me to the venue of the after-party. I am impressed with how Scott turned the luxurious and all-business atmosphere we had earlier into a chic, relaxed after-party vibe. I feel more comfortable and confident, as this is more of my style.

 

Scott, who is equally stunning, pulls me into a hug to welcome me. He looks at me before he opens his mouth to speak. "Wow! You never disappoint me." I blushed a bit after he compliments me, and I hear him laugh. "I hope you'll enjoy Scott's side of Chanel. I was born to throw great parties if you don't know. If Elijah didn't have the chance to meet me 13 years ago, he would be just some typical boring businessman."

 

"Then, how come Jamie is boring even after spending his whole life with you?" Elijah asked Scott. They burst into laughter after a few seconds.

 

"Do you mind introducing me to this lovely lady you have been keeping away from me since this morning, Elijah?" I heard an old man say while looking at me from head to toe. He surprised me when he leans on me and kisses me on cheeks after checking me out. I was uncomfortable, but I kept my composure and smiled at the old man.

 

"You startled her, Karl." Elijah pulls me closer in his side and put his arm around my waist after hugging and shaking hands with the old man. "I was going to introduce you to her. I just had no chance this afternoon. Jennie, this is Karl Lagerfield. He is the creative director of Chanel."

 

I smiled at him and shook his hand. "I'm sorry if I startled you." Everyone near us laughs.

 

"It's seldom for Elijah to bring someone over and never take his eyes off as if we're going to eat his date alive." The elegant French woman Elijah introduced to me this morning joined the conversation.

 

"Jennie, this is ie Viard. You met her this morning." Elijah reminded her.

 

We kissed each other in the cheeks after I greet her. "Call me, V. I can't wait to dress you up, dear."

 

We all turned our attention to Scott, who made a quick speech to start the party formally. I met prominent business people, celebrities around the globe, and people Elijah worked with when he joined the fashion world when he was in college. It was overwhelming, but I had a great time. We bid goodbye to the other guests, and Elijah had to negotiate with Scott just to let us go early.

 

"Are you alright, Hun?" Elijah, who is on my side throughout the evening, asked me. I 'm not sure if I would be able to survive the night without him.

 

"Yes. I was nervous whenever Karl looks at me, but thanks to V for making me feel more comfortable.

 

Elijah holds my hand while we head towards the villa we will spend the night at. "He's nice. Karl's just like that whenever someone caught his attention. I think he likes you, and for sure you'll receive lots of clothes from Chanel from now on. Jiyong hyung is his favorite Korean celebrity. He sends a lot of clothes for him to wear in public."

 

"I had a great time, El. Thank you for coming here with me." I place my arms around his waist. "We will now be back in reality. What is the time of your flight back to Seoul?"

 

"I'll spend a night in Paris, but I'll join you on the way to Paris tomorrow evening." I looked at him, waiting to tell me more details.

 

"I need to meet someone important in Paris. I'll be back as soon as possible." He kisses me on the forehead before opening the door of her room. "I'll see you tomorrow, Hun. I'll go back to the party and spend an hour or so."

 

I pout at him, disappointed that he needs to go back. I want to spend all the remaining time left before we go back to Korea. "Don't go. Just stay here, baby." I embrace him in a hug and continue to convince him to stay. "I'll kiss you hundreds of times."

 

Elijah laughs and hugs me tighter. "I promised Scott I'll be back. He begged me to go back and help him with Karl and V. I'll be back in no time, baby."

 

"Be back in 30 minutes. Spend the night here in my room. I'll wait for you." I sulk, still clinging to his touch.

 

I let Elijah hold my face and placed several soft kisses on my lips. "I'll be back as soon as possible. Try to get some sleep, so don't wait for me. I'll see you first thing in the morning. I promised you that we will stroll around the market before going back to Korea, right?"

 

I frowned and looked away from him, but he held my chin up and kissed me hard. Elijah my lower lip and s my . He places his tongue inside my mouth, and I can't help but moan when his tongue starts to play with mine. Elijah stopped when his phone rang, making me stomp my feet. He chuckled at me and kisses me again, this time gently. "I need to go, Hun."

 

"No, girls! Never take a drink with any girls, especially to that Chinese actress who keeps on touching you." I rolled my eyes upon remembering the girl who keeps on flirting with him.

 

The next morning

 

I'm still trying to extend my sleep when I felt a solid figure next to me. I opened my eyes, and I saw Elijah reading a book next to me. I hug him closer and bury my face on his neck. "Good morning, my Sunshine. You can still sleep." He told me without taking his eyes off the book. I look at his face. He looks so serious, reading a book with his glasses on. He looks hot whenever he has his glasses. Elijah usually wears contact lenses when he is outside, as he has terrible visions since he was a kid. He looks ier, all thanks to his messy wavy hair, white fitted shirt, and of course, with his glasses on. "Stop staring at me, Jennie Kim."

 

I was surprised he caught me even without taking his eyes off to the book, but I denied it while laughing. "I'm not staring at you! You are so full of yourself, Elijah Ellington."

 

He took his eyes off to the book, fix his glasses, and gaze at me. My heart flutters a bit, and I can feel my cheeks burning. "You're not allowed to look at other girls like that. They are not allowed to see how y you look with messy hair and your reading glasses on!"

 

He kisses me on the lips as a response."Hun, I have some bad news. I need to meet someone for Kia, I don't think we can stroll around the area. I'll be back before we leave for Paris. I'm sorry." Elijah kisses the back of my palm while looking at me.

 

I was disappointed as I am looking forward to this, but I can't complain since it's about work. "It's okay, Hun. We can go next time".

 

"Thank you for being understanding, baby. Let me kiss you before I get ready to leave." I closed my eyes, waiting for him to kiss me. I opened my eyes after a few seconds, wondering why he didn't kiss me.

 

"What did you do on your past life to deserve this gorgeous face?" He showered me with kisses after a few seconds.

 

Later that day

 

Elijah kisses me on the forehead, and I hug him closer without minding the driver who will bring us to the airport. I fell asleep in the car the second I placed my head on his shoulder to sleep.

 

"We're here, Hun." I heard him say, making me groan. I want to spend more time with him, but the time comes that I need to go back to Korea. To make the matter worst, Elijah needs to stay for a night, so we won't take the same flight. I tried to open my eyes, still dazed from sleep. I look around, and I don't see the familiar airport drop-off. I look at him confusingly. "I'm sorry we weren't able to stroll around Deauville as I need to attend some urgent business meeting. So, let's stay over for a night in Paris. We can stay here until before lunch."

 

"Are you serious?" I asked him, and I tried hard to stop myself from screaming when he nodded. I kissed Elijah on the lips without minding the driver seated in front. Paris is on top of my list that I would like to go to. We only have until tomorrow morning, but I won't complain as I'll spend the night on my dream vacation place, and it's with Elijah. "I love you so much. You are the best boyfriend in the whole world."

 

We decided to have a snack in a restaurant that overlooks the Eiffel Tower after checking in to our hotel. Elijah promised me that we will go to the Eiffel Tower and climb the stairs and reach the second floor. I was hesitant at first to ask him if we can do that as he is cautious that someone might take a photo of us. I may not have a big fanbase in Paris, but Elijah is considered a celebrity here. We took a picture together with the Eiffel Tower at the back, and he took a lot of photos of me. Elijah already allowed me and the three girls to open a personal Instagram account.

 

"Are you going to shoot?" I asked him when I noticed that he brings his camera he use to shoot videos.

 

"I'll shoot you to get views on my channel." He joked while fixing his camera. He avoids posting videos on his channel that include the four of us. He seldom posts a photo of us, even if all he does is to take pictures of the four of us. Lisa got addicted to photography and film cameras because of him. All they talk about when they are together are cameras and photography. "I'll ask my management first to negotiate with you about payment," I told him while browsing Instagram using his phone.

 

The waiter says something to Elijah, and I see him nod at him and ask for the bill. "Let's go, Hun. The driver is waiting for us outside to bring us to the port for the cruise."

 

I told Elijah all the things I want to do and see, and he planned everything to accommodate my requests, given the limitations we have. I almost jump in excitement when he told me that we can ride a boat to cruise around for an hour or two, and then we will go to the Eiffel Tower at midnight. He only requested one thing from me, and that is to be cautious. I want us to enjoy this trip like an average couple, but I can't do anything about it. Outside of this fantastic city is where my real life is. I am an idol, and I can't be seen dating if I want to stay away from further hate and scandals. My life is not my life alone anymore since debuting. Every decision I make, I should think about if it will do good to the other members and me. I can't be selfish and just do everything I want to do. I owe the three girls a lot as they support me in everything I do. I never heard anything from them, even when I started dating Elijah after debuting. I used to wonder how come Jisoo unnie is so selfless. She is the backbone of our group, and I don't think we will reach this far without her. After I debut, that's the only time I understood where Elijah is coming from. I realized why he didn't fight for me before. I understood everything. I understood that for a group to succeed, you need to be selfless, loyal, reliable, and happy for each and everyone's success.

 

"Hun, let's go. Are you here with me?" Elijah laughs and puts the baseball cap on my head. "Are you ready?"

 

"Can we live here in the future?" I asked Elijah who is busy teasing me while filming. After a short ride to the port, we boarded a boat together with the other 40 guests. We had a 4-course dinner inside, drink a glass of champagne and enjoyed the live music while cruising along the Seine River. We were almost at the end of the cruise when someone familiar went to our table to greet us.

 

Elijah quickly stood up and bowed to Yoo Jae-suk. I bowed at him as well to show respect to the famous TV personality. I was nervous as someone from Korea caught us together, but Elijah's relaxed demeanor made me calm down a bit. He is with his wife and son, enjoying a vacation.

 

"What are you two doing here?" Jae-suk asked, looking around to check if we are filming.

 

"Jennie had a schedule in Deauville two days ago." Elijah smoothly struck a conversation with the much older man. That's one of the things I'm amazed at Elijah's personality. He can strike a conversation with anyone, anywhere and anytime. The two went on with their discussion, and I was left to make small talk with his pregnant wife and son.

 

I thanked and bowed to the family, even took a photo with his son before they leave. I look at Elijah, trying to check his mood if it changed. "I'm sorry. I should not have asked to go here."

 

"No, it's fine. It's just Jae-suk Hyung. He is the nicest person in the industry, so you have nothing to worry about. He wants you to be on his new show, it seems like I can't say no to him after this." Elijah laughs, and he pulls me closer to him. "Are you ready to climb the Eiffel Tower, Hun?"