Chapter 16

Jennie: Best of Me

Elijah

 

"Are you alright, Jennie? You have swollen eyes." My uncle, the CEO of YG Entertainment, asked Jennie.

 

A pain crossed sharply in my chest after looking at Jennie's swollen eyes. I feel horrible, and I hate myself for hurting a girl like her. Our relationship is on the rocks for months already, and I live in fear of losing her. I tried hard to earn her trust again, tried all the things I can think of to make up for all of my shortcomings. Living miles away from Jennie is hard, and living in a place with a different timezone makes everything harder. I'm stressed at work, but I don't mind spending a few hours of my time with her on the phone, instead of sleeping. I'm tired, but seeing her face and hearing her voice makes it a better day. She's trying to close her doors on me, but I won't give up. I have given up on her multiple times in the past, but not this time.

 

"You should have told me you'll be back today, so I could have sent someone to pick you up." I heard my uncle said, making me realize he is now talking to me, and they are all looking at me as they hear nothing from me.

 

"It's alright. I have Joon-ho Hyung with me." I answered. I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

 

"Are you sick? You don't look good. You should have gone straight to the hospital instead of going here." My uncle asked me worriedly.

 

I smiled before answering him. "I'm fine. It's just jetlag, Uncle."

 

"I see. Jisoo, as much as you love the flu, it's not a healthy relationship. Go and end it by taking a flu shot." The CEO joked, making the girls laugh. "Go back home and take a rest." He reminded them before dismissing us.

 

I walk the girls to the van waiting for them outside. "Are you sure you're alright, El? You look like you'll pass out anytime." Jisoo asked me.

 

"You look like a vampire, Oppa. We should call you Eds instead of El." Lisa said, making us all look to her in confusion. "You know. Eds, as in Edward Cullen. Twilight. Vampire."

 

Jisoo and I laughed, while the two other girls teased Lisa by covering their faces acting very embarrassed.

 

I tried to catch Jennie's eyes when they all get inside the van, but she avoided my look. I breathe slowly after closing the door and see them off.

 

I texted Jennie while my driver carefully drives me to my apartment. "Do you want to have dinner later, Hun?"

 

My phone beeps and I scanned her response. "You're not going home right now?"

 

"I will, but I need to go out again. I'll go home to take a quick shower, then meet my staff from Kia." I replied.

 

"Ah. Okay." She replied.

 

I want to see her, but I can't as I'm short in time with my ongoing Kia project. "I miss you so much, baby. I'll make time and see you later. I love you, Hun."

 

My phone beeps again and sees her short reply. "Okay. See you."

 

Kia Motors Headquarters

 

I closed my eyes for a while, trying to calm myself. I'm beginning to lose my patience as my Kia staff is getting on my nerves. I've been out for two months, feeding them details in my meeting every day for our expansion in the European market, and here they are giving me a trash presentation.

 

I decided to end the meeting before I could say anything I'll regret. "I just got back from London, and it's already past the working hours. We are all tired, so let's call it a day."

 

The staff bows at me apologetically, already know my dissatisfaction with their work. I felt another intense pain in my head as I stood up to make my way home.

 

"Hun, my meeting is over. What do you want to eat? I'll bring it over." I texted Jennie. It's been over 10 minutes, and I heard nothing from her, so I decided to call her.

 

"Hun? Did I wake you up? I texted you." I told her after Jennie picked up my call after two rings.

 

I only hear silence from the other line, so I was about to ask her again when I hear her voice. "I want to eat out."

 

I'm dead tired, but it's a good thing she wants to go out. She's always in her room for the past two months I was away. "Sure, babe. Tell the girls, and I'll be there in 10 minutes. I'll make a reservation."

 

"I want us to eat out. The two of us." She said coldly.

 

I'm torn if I'll agree or not. Our relationship is still hidden from the public, and I don't have any plan to change that anytime soon. It's too early, and I don't want to read any malicious comments against her if our dating news comes out. "Hun.."

 

"Then, don't bother to have dinner with me. I'll just sleep, I'm still full anyway." She said, understanding what I want to say. She hangs up on me before I can speak.

 

My driver looks at me from the rearview mirror as I swear under my breath. "Will I make a call and ask for a table or order a to-go food?"

 

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep for a moment after answering him. "To-go food."

 

Joon-ho handed me the food containers before leaving me in front of the girls' unit. I know it's going to be a long night as Jennie is upset after I opposed to eating out with her. I knock on the door lightly, and Chaeng's smile welcomed me. Her smile becomes wider after seeing the food containers in my hand. No one will believe that Chaeng loves to eat, considering her slim body.

 

"Where's Jennie?" I asked while Chaeng opens the food container.

 

"She's in her room. Lisa tried everything to make her go out of her room, but Jennie unnie is not in the mood." She answered, without looking at me. Her attention is on the food in front of her.

 

I made my way to her room, which is right in front of Lisa's. I saw Lisa munching a bar of chocolates in her bed. I caught her attention and told her I brought dinner. She gave me a thumbs-up as is full of chocolates. I knock on Jennie's door before opening it, and I saw her lying on the bed, facing the other side of the room. I lie next to her and hug her from the back. I smell the side of her neck, kissing it in the process. "I miss you, baby."

 

Jennie continues to browse the web, acting as if I'm not around. "Let's eat with the girls. I brought dinner from your favorite restaurant."

 

I did not give up on engaging her in a conversation. "I received the concept for Blackpink's TV. One of the places you'll visit is Thailand. You enjoyed your trip to Bangkok with Lisa last time. This time, the two of you will be with Jisoo and Chaeng."

 

I still heard no response from her. "Grandma asked me to bring you and the girls tomorrow for breakfast, but I heard Chaeng and Jisoo has a schedule, and Lisa is meeting Bambam tomorrow. So, do you mind spending breakfast with my Grandma and me?"

 

She immediately turned her attention to me after hearing my Grandma, and I smiled at her. I still hear nothing from her. "I see. I'll call Grandma to tell her you're not available." I look at her, still smiling.

 

"Yes!" She said quickly. "I mean, no, I'm available tomorrow."

 

I smiled and hugged her. "Prove to me that you're available. Kiss me."

 

"Tss. Let's go out. I'm now hungry." She stood up and went out of her room.

 

Jennie's mood changes and a smile is all over her face throughout the dinner. I slowly eat my food, still feeling the intense pain in my head.

 

"Oppa, are you going to join us in Thailand?" Lisa asked me excitedly. Jennie shared with the other girls about the Thailand trip for the Blackpink TV. They all looked at me, waiting for my response.

 

"I don't think I can." I saw Jennie bit her lip. She does that whenever she feels hopeful about something, but ended up being disappointed. "I don't think I can. I'll be busy with the music one of the groups will release next year. Teddy Hyung sent something to me, and all I can say is it's a masterpiece. Sorry, no spoiler."

 

"Oppa!!!" The three girls stood up, looking like ready to attack.

 

I decided to tease them. "What? It could be for Winner or iKon. What are the other group under YG? AKMU? Bla... Big Bang?"

 

They all gave me a death stare, making me laugh out loud. "I'm back, girls. I'll make sure you'll release new music for the Blinks. I promise."

 

Chaeng and Lisa danced in unison, while Jisoo and Jennie smiled happily. Blackpink deserves better, and Blinks deserve the best. I'm upset after finding out that after six months of hiatus, the management doesn't have any plan for Blackpink's next project. The CEO is on leave for his treatment concerning his health. No one knows about it but my family. The CEO originally planned to get his treatment in the first quarter of 2018, so I was confident to leave and focus on Kia Motors, but his health deteriorated, so he needs to go and leave everything to the Vice President. The VP took over in my uncle's absence, but considering the bad blood we have, I should have expected that Blackpink's career will suffer in his hands. The VP and I are not in good terms as he feels threatened I'll take his position. He always disagrees with everything I propose. He even tried his best to delay Blackpink's debut as it will solidify the trust of the boards on me if I can successfully debut the girls amidst the backlash the company received because of the 2ne1's rumored disbandment back in 2016. To make it even worst between us, Blackpink not only debuted but made their names known and earned a lot of recognition. In his hands, Blackpink was thrown in the dungeon, without new music, TV guesting, and music awards appearances.

 

The CEO asked me to come home and make time for Blackpink after finding out Blackpink's lack of public appearance. He insisted on flying back from the US, while I'm still wrapping up my agenda in London so he can make something for Blackpink. The Blackpink TV proposal came from him, but it is too vague. I lied to the girls about the new music, as well as the Blackpink TV. If I'll be honest with them, all we have with Blackpink TV is a vague plan. A reality TV show, that's it. I still need to create a concept from scratch, and I know it will be a series of sleepless nights again. As for the new music, we don't have anything yet, but I already called for a team meeting. I'll be juggling Blackpink's comeback in the spotlight, as well as the expansion of Kia Motors. My phone rang loudly, making my head throbbed in sudden intense pain. I saw Jennie looked at me after I closed my eyes and massaged my temple. I answered the phone without looking who is calling to stop it from ringing loudly.

 

"Elijah! I have a favor to ask. Please say yes. I'll owe you big time. I'm even willing to give you my useless brother in return." Natalie talked rapidly, making her lose her breath.

 

I stood up and walked towards the living room before answering her. "Nat, calm down, and talk slowly."

 

I went back to the dining table to look for Jennie when the three girls are already in the living room talking about some random things. I saw her washing the plates, and I hugged her from the back.

 

"Let go so I can finish this. I want to go to sleep." Jennie said coldly.

 

I hugged her tighter and kissed the side of her neck. "I missed you. I'll do the washing, but let me hug you first."

 

"No. I'm almost done. Please, let me go." She tries to push my body away, but I hug her tighter. "I said, let go! Are you deaf?" She shouted at me. I heard the three girls in the living room fell silent after hearing Jennie yell.

 

I let her go. I was surprised by how she talked to me. A sudden rush of blood to my head made me lash out at her. "I'm still older than you. Talk to me like that again, and I swear to God.." I stopped and breathe, trying to calm my nerves.

 

"And what? Hm? You'll go and meet your Nat?" She retorted back.

 

I didn't respond to her. I'm trying my best not to lose my patience, and to calm down to stop my head from throbbing.

 

"Answer me!" Still shouting.

 

I closed my eyes as another intense pain cross my head.

 

Jennie punches me in the chest and shouts again. "I said, answer me!"

 

"What do you want me to do? Tell me, Jennie. Just tell me, and I'll do it. Everything is my fault; it's on me. I cheated on you, and I'll never deny that. I don't think this will work if we continue to be like this. I'm tired." I said calmly.

 

"I think it's better to end this than to hurt each other more." She asked, without looking at me.

 

I bite the inside of my cheek to hold my tears. I tried to find words, but I can't. I saw her walk away from me, and after a couple of minutes, Jisoo is right in front of me. I remained seated while looking down, trying to hide my face. She placed her hand on my shoulder, making the tears I've been holding fall. I hug her tight while crying after realizing that Jennie broke up with me.