Chapter 18

Jennie: Best of Me

Elijah

 

"Goodnight, Ni," I told Jennie. We are right in front of Jennie's apartment unit. "Congratulations on your first solo endorsement."

 

She opened the door and smiled at me. "It won't be possible without you. Take a rest and have a good night's sleep."

 

I was on my way to my unit when I saw a familiar face walking towards me. I ran towards her and hugged her. "In-na noona!"

 

"I heard you've been living here since last year, but this is the first time I saw you here." Yoo In-na is a South Korean actress handled by YG Entertainment. I noticed that she's with two other girls, Suzy and IU.

 

I bowed at them and greeted Suzy before turning my attention to IU. "Ji-Eun! Palette is a masterpiece." Ji-Eun, or more famously known as IU, is one of the most successful South Korean singer-songwriters in the country. She is one year older than me, but she insisted we talk informally. We became friends after Yoo In-na introduced us to each other. I glanced at Suzy and smiled at her again. "Suzy-ssi, may I ask how old you are?

 

Korean is strict when it comes to age. Asking for someone's age in the first meeting is considered rude in other countries, but not in Korea. Koreans do that to know how to address the other person properly. "I'm a '94 liner. How about you?"

 

I smiled at her. "I'm a '94 as well. It's nice meeting you."

 

"Ya! Don't smile at her like that, she's healing from a broken heart." IU joked, making Yoo In-na burst in laughter and Suzy blush in embarrassment.

 

I laugh and change the topic to save Suzy from further embarrassment with Ji-Eun's unfiltered tongue. "Ji-Eun, expect a call from me about a possible collab with Chaeng." I notice her confused look. "I mean, Rosé of Blackpink."

 

IU expressed her desire to make a collaboration with Chaeng last April, but they can't find a time they are both available. "Ah! Sure. I would love to have a collab with her. Just call me, El."

 

I bowed and waved goodbye to them before I went inside my apartment. I looked for my phone and sent a message to the girls before taking a shower.

 

"Suzy lives here? I met her in the hallway."

 

I saw Chaeng's reply after a few seconds. "Suzy of Miss A???????"

 

"Yeah. She's with In-na noona and Ji-Eun." I typed.

 

Lisa joins the chat. "She's friends with IU sunbaenim. They worked together in a drama."

 

"IU SUNBAENIM???????????????????????? YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED ME, OPPA!! I'll ask for an autograph. YAAAAAAAAAAA!"

 

I laughed with how hysterical Chaeng is. I sent a laughing emoji. "I told her I'll call her for a possible collab with you, Chipmunk."

 

Lisa changes Jennie's nickname on the group chat to Chanel Korea's Ambassadress before teasing Chaeng. "The album title would be IU and the Chipmunk. Make it happen, Oppa."

 

Chaeng sent a video of her rolling her eyes. "Shut up, LiMario."

 

Jennie joins the chat. "I can sense another fight that will end with eating cold noodles outside."

 

Jisoo joins the chat by changing Jennie's nickname again into Chanel Korea's mandu Ambassador, earning a series of laughing emoji from us.

 

I took a shower after talking with the girls and went straight to bed after. I woke up after a few hours of sleep to take a pee and had a hard time to sleep again. I decided to go out and run a few laps before I prepare to go to work.

 

 

I had a light schedule today. I met a South Korean actress this morning, who will be Kia's endorser and had a lunch meeting with Teddy and his team for Blackpink's comeback music. I check the time and call Blackpink's manager. I drive myself to the shoot location of Blackpink's new endorsement. I bowed to everyone in the area while making my way to the girls. I sat beside the crew members and monitored the photoshoot. I look at their faces while they are taking the group shot. These four girls are perfect for each other. They have different personalities but fit perfectly together. They also have different vibes in front of the camera. Jisoo, being visual of the group, can pull-off any concept. She is the stylist's favorite, not because the stylist values her the most, but because she makes the stylist's job easier as she looks perfect with any outfit given to her. Chaeng, being the tallest, has a vibe of a model. She is shy in person, but when the photographer starts to click his camera, Rosé of Blackpink comes out. Lisa, with a doll-like face and a figure like a model, is perfect in the fashion world. If she is not an idol, I believe that she can be successful in the fashion industry. I look at Jennie's face, and my heart can't help but flutters. Jennie is nothing but a sweetheart. She is sweet and innocent but can kill you with oozing iness. She is the most stylish of the four, and she knows her body best, so she loves to style herself, making the stylist's job easier.

 

The photoshoot ended, and I asked the girls if they want to eat out. I decided to join them in the van and ask one of the Blackpink's bodyguards to drive my car. I sat beside their manager, who is also their driver. I put some music on, and we kill time by jamming to the song. We are stuck in traffic, and the girls decided to do a V-Live. The camera is in Lisa's hand, and I watch them interact with fans. Lisa decided to do a bag raid for the fans, while I hold the camera to film them. The bag raid starts with Jennie, then Jisoo and Chaeng, and finally Lisa.

 

"What's in my bag? I don't have much. The first item is..." Lisa made her own background music by imitating a drum roll before announcing the first item from her bag. "...dry shampoo!" The girls start to of not washing her hair. She laughs while denying the accusations. "I do! This is for my bangs."

 

Jisoo continues to tease Lisa. "Wash your hair often, Lisa."

 

"Let's move on with the next item. I always carry around.." Lisa pulls out a small bottle from her bag. "Yadom."

 

We were all caught off-guard with the word that came out from , making us all burst into laughter. Yadom is a nasal inhaler in Thailand, but with Lisa's accent, it sounds like Yadong, which means in Korean. Everything was caught in the camera, and fans all over the world went wild.

 

"Inside Lisa's bag is..." Jennie, who can't still move on with what happened, teases Lisa again, while Chaeng is laughing hard since the beginning. "Yadom."

 

We arrived at the restaurant, and a lot of people were surprised to see one of the most prominent girl groups in Korea eat in a small restaurant. I hugged the owner who Jisoo, and I know since we were teenagers, while the girls interact with the fans who ask for pictures and autographs. We were all seated at our favorite spot when the owner went to our seats to take our order.

 

"Ahjumma!" The girls' eyes shine brightly upon seeing the old woman.

 

"We missed you the last time we were here." Lisa, then hug the old lady. "I miss you!"

 

The old lady hugs Lisa back before hugging the three other girls she adores a lot. Jisoo and I used to eat a lot here when we were teenagers, so when the girls came, we always bring them here. It is a small family-owned restaurant that offers homecooked-style Korean food.

 

"Let's take a photo, Ahjumma. We will post it on our SNS account!" Jisoo gestured Lisa to take out her camera. They took a few photos together, and they were happy with the outcome.

 

The old lady pats my shoulder. "It's your birthday tomorrow, congratulations, Eli-ya. You used to see me on your birthdays before and ask for miyeok guk, but the last time you visited was 4 years ago. Jisoo-ya, even after landing a role in a drama, visits me during her birthdays."

 

Jisoo hugs the old woman. "El, you're no longer Ahjumma's favorite. I am now because I'm the best."

 

I rolled my eyes at Jisoo jokingly, hugging the old lady as well. Lisa took a photo of the three of them before the old lady entertains other customers. They enjoyed the food and thanked everyone who took good care of them in the restaurant and went back home afterward. We decided to watch a movie and welcome my 23rd birthday at midnight.

 

I press the doorbell using my elbow as both of my hands are full of tubs of ice cream, and Jisoo opened the door with a displeased look on her face. "You know the passcode, use it next time. I'm playing games! Tss."

 

I push the tub of ice cream on her. "Wait until the clock hits 12. You'll suffer from this handsome man who will be older than you later." I am a 94-liner, but I was born in December. Jisoo was born almost a month later after I was born, so I have a month to about how she should treat me respectfully as I am older than her. Jisoo hates that whole month since she can't do anything about it, so once she turned the same age with me a month later, she gets back at me. She rolls her eyes and pushes the tub of ice cream back in my chest, and runs back to the kitchen. "Ya! Set-up the living room."

 

I followed her in the kitchen and saw Jennie and Chaeng making popcorn. The two scream in delight together after seeing the tubs of ice cream in my hands. "Where's Lisa?"

 

"Lisa-ya!" Jennie yell.

 

"dom," I added, making the three burst in laughter again.

 

We decided to tease Lisa again, so we all went to her room while yelling at her. Chaeng and Jennie will start with 'Lisa-ya' and Jisoo, and I end it with 'dom' and repeat it over and over.

 

Lisa shows her teeth, imitating a bear. "Ya!"

 

We all shout back at her. "Dom!"

 

I laugh hard, and Lisa starts to punch me lightly. "Oppa!!!"

 

I put my arm around her Lisa and Chaeng's shoulders while we made our way to the living room to start watching movies. "Woah. Did you grow an inch?"

 

"Chaeng's 168 cm and Lisa's.. 166?" Jennie asks Jisoo.

 

Jisoo tries to remember Lisa's height. They recently had their annual medical check-up. "167 cm, I think. Giants."

 

The two older girls laugh and tease the maknaes. I, who is 182 cm,, counter their attacks. "Shut up, Shorties."

 

The unnie line, who are both 163 cm, rolls their eyes as they have nothing to use to attack back as it is true that they are short.

 

The four girls sat on the floor while watching movies. The maknae line pulled me right in between them. Their eyes are glued on the screen while munching the popcorn in their hands. Chaeng's eyes still fixed on the screen, asks for water. "Oppa, water, please."

 

"Oppa, please hold the tub of ice cream, so I can dig in easily." Lisa requested.

 

After a series of requests from the girls, Elijah fell asleep. He is snoring lightly when she was awakened by the girls who are wearing party hats while holding balloons.

 

I closed my eyes for a second and opened it again, confused with what is happening. I smile and stand on my feet when I realized that it's my birthday. I brushed my hair using my fingers when the girls start singing a birthday song. Lisa is holding the cake while Chaeng is filming. I made a wish before blowing the candles, and I faced the camera that Chaeng is holding. "Wazzup, wazzup. It's my birthday, and I'm officially older than Jisoo. Soo-ya, I expect you to call me Oppa. Okay? Okay?" We always film a lot when we are all together.

 

"I'll kill you on the 3rd of January, I promise!" Jisoo yelled, and Jennie covers . "We are on V-Live, Unnie."

 

Jisoo and I were both startled with what Jennie said. I blushed after remembering the things I did in front of the camera. Jisoo, on the other hand, still in shock. The three girls laugh at us.

 

Jennie teases me, making me blush more. "Oppa, continue doing aegyo for the Blinks."

 

"Ya! Kim Jennie!" I covered my face in embarrassment. I don't usually do that when there are other people.

 

The three younger girls laugh, while Jisoo recovers. "You embarrassed yourself in front of the thousands of fans watching right now. Oppa." Jisoo said, emphasizing the 'Oppa' in the end.

 

The girls continue to do the V-Live while I sit away from them and the camera. I posted our photo on my Instagram account. I have a decent number of followers ever since before because of the travel photos I post online. I also stream while I play games and post aesthetic videos. But, the number of followers on my Instagram account grew remarkably after Blackpink debuted. They visit my account to stalk the girls and check for any pre-debut photo of the four. Some of Jimin and Nayeon's die-hard fans follow me on Instagram for the same reason the Blinks do.

The video I posted featuring Jimin, blows up a minute after being posted. Jimin and his group, BTS, is one of the most popular groups in the world. They achieved and broke a lot of records in South Korea, and all over the world.

 

"Tell El to answer my call." I heard Lisa say. She is reading V-Live comments, and it seems like Nayeon commented on the V-live. "Oppa, Nayeon unnie is trying to call you."

 

"Tell her to address me properly first. I'm older than her!" I laughed, and I heard Lisa laughing while reading another comment. "She typed Oppa on her next comment."

 

Some Blinks and Once fights a lot, but Blackpink and Twice members are good friends since Jisoo and Nayeon have known each other since they were kids. Nayeon and Jimin is our childhood friend.

 

I called Nayeon, and her pretty face pops up on the screen after a few rings. I saw other Twice members, and they all greet me. "Happy birthday, Oppa!"

 

I sang one of the parts of Tzuyu and Sana in their latest song after seeing the two.

 

"You're my heart shaker, shaker

Nochigi silheo

You're my heart shaker, shaker."

 

They all sing along until we finished the song, clapping afterward. We ended the call after a few minutes, and Nayeon greets me again before hanging up.

 

Blackpink ended their V-Live, and the girls prepare to go to bed after cleaning the mess and giving me birthday gifts. Lisa and Chaeng gave me a ukulele, while Jisoo joked that she will treat me something from the convenience store. I picked up the water container to return it in the refrigerator when I saw Jennie come out from her room, holding a small box with a ribbon. She hands it over to me, and I reach for her body. I pull her for a quick hug to thank her when I notice that she covers her face by settling it on my chest. I planted a kiss on the top of her head after hearing a soft sob from her. Jennie is my friend before she became my girlfriend, and if we were not meant to be together as lovers, I don't have any plan to lose her as a friend. I pull her on the sofa, her face still on my chest. "I miss you so much." I heard her say.

 

I hold her face to look her in the eyes. "Let's start over again. Friends?"

 

She hugs me again, tighter this time. "Bestfriends."

 

"What did you get for me? I hope it's a car key." I asked her while laughing.

 

Jennie pinch me lightly in the waist. "Yeah, but no car. Only car keys."